• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Thread

AssMan

Banned
SPOILER

The mini game was pretty cool. If there is a game being made then it would seem to be that there would be some unique artstyle going for it. I just love watching guts fly everywhere.

Future

I was fighting The End over Thanksgiving and couldn't beat him. Gave up and didn't have time to play until yesterday, and
gotta admit the fact that he died over time shocked the hell out of me
. The last thing I expected :lol

Fury battle just made the camera seem worse than ever. Constantly leaning against walls to find him, then having the camera switch back to it's semi fixed view point when moving was SUCH a pain in the ass. As with the rest of the game you can deal with it, but it seems so unnecessary. Roomate was watching me play and also got confused at times in where exactly I was with all the viewpoint changing, Kojima PLEASE fix this shit next game.

Cut scenes are so rewarding though. Was up all night playing just to see what happens next...a game hasn't done that to me for a while

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Did I mention how much this game FUCKING OWNS?

I don't think I did.

MGS3 FUCKING OWNS.

And yeah, I swore off the thermals altogether after it made the Fear fight laughably easy. I won't be using them at all on subsequent playthroughs.

montanha

Future said:
Fury battle just made the camera seem worse than ever. Constantly leaning against walls to find him, then having the camera switch back to it's semi fixed view point when moving was SUCH a pain in the ass.

Yes, I never say that term but MGS3 OWNS, truly.

So yeah, I beg to differ on the shit camera comments. I always got the ffeling that when the camera was difficult, it was because Kojima and team INTENDED it to be that way, to emulate the realism of how hard it would be to see what you need to in situations (like the Fury battle or creeping along a wall to get a peek, or obstructed views in the jungle). Sure, it could be improved, but I also par those things up to feeling the discomfort and tension I would feel if I was truly IN that situation(s).

Last night I finally had time to fight the End on extreme; what an awesome battle. I was able to take him down in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, getting both his camo and the Mosin rifle. This is a fight that's all the more satisfying on the hardest difficulty, I only had 4 Mk 22 shots left when I finished. :D

Just started playing through again, this time on extreme. It's such a different game, especialy coming off of playing on the normal difficulty. I'm trying to go the no kills route to, and no alarms. Just got to Sokolov and have been successfull so far. (Not like that was horribly difficult, but I can remember later parts of the game and I wonder how I will make it through.)

What is cool about playing through the game on the harder difficulty is that it is, for me at least, forcing me to rethink how I play through it. Can't believe how much fun I've had with this game. Good times.

jenov4

I also just finished this game the second time around. I went for the Chameleon ranking which is no alerts, no special weapons, (and I did no kills, but I'm not sure if that was necessary) so that I could get the stealth camo and it was sure worth it!

Playing the game this way gave it a totally different experience. I bet it a lot faster this time around, but I had to watch the enemy placements in order to avoid them. I was basically Rambo the first time around. :lol

I just finished MGS3 this morning (i avoided this thread like the plague since its stickifying) and i have to say:

Best Game this year without a doubt. everything has been corrected, apart from the camera of course...

i played it on a projector and the last 2 hours were glorious to behold. it has suddenyl shot into my top 5 games games of all time.

NotMSRP

isozin3333-img450x600-11031809624-1.jpg
isozin3333-img450x600-11031809694-2.jpg

Axsider

Banned
Well, Kojima said this will be the last Metal Gear SOLID (SOLID!!). The End of the series.
So, I think he (or he's pupils/ZOE-team) will continue the story around BIG BOSS! Why he changed the sides (look at the end of MGS3, I you will know it!). How he build Outer Heaven.... and how Solid Snake killed him!
Damn, I like BIG BOSS more than Solid Snake at the moment!

What an awesome.... stunning game!
For me, one of the best 3 Games of all time!!
....I'm stunned!!

Interlude

At Groznyj Grad Runway,

I got the 1st three frogs when Eva was ferrying me in the motorbike. Now, the 4th frog is a pain. I tried using SVD and I always missed as it was too fast. I tried RPG and I'm not even sure if it hit because the Shagohod kept blocking my views. Any advise on how to shoot that frog?

Does the Japanese version of MGS3 have an option for English subtitles? In the cinemas the Japanese usually goes by too fast for the spped at which I can read and understand it. If it has English subtitles then I'll buy it in Japan and not wait for my trip back to the US to buy it.

Miburou

ddkawaii said:
Does the Japanese version of MGS3 have an option for English subtitles? In the cinemas the Japanese usually goes by too fast for the spped at which I can read and understand it. If it has English subtitles then I'll buy it in Japan and not wait for my trip back to the US to buy it.

MGS and MGS2 didn't, so I doubt this one does.

BTW, is this the most popular single-game thread ever?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Red Mercury said:
Just started playing through again, this time on extreme. It's such a different game, especialy coming off of playing on the normal difficulty. I'm trying to go the no kills route to, and no alarms. Just got to Sokolov and have been successfull so far. (Not like that was horribly difficult, but I can remember later parts of the game and I wonder how I will make it through.)

What is cool about playing through the game on the harder difficulty is that it is, for me at least, forcing me to rethink how I play through it. Can't believe how much fun I've had with this game. Good times.

I plan on using half of next year to do that... just taking it a section at a time. I would be now since I'm on break, but I'm letting a friend borrow it.

That might get me a nomination for FOTY.

Going for no alerts on Extreme just got a whole tougher. I defeated the Fury in a fun fight (which was much more interesting than on normal) and cruised through Grozny Grad. However, after the escaping from the prison cell I'm having a hell of a time sneaking out of the base. There seem to be twice as many guards as on normal difficulty patrolling right by the door to the holding cells. This may take me a while.

Any suggestions on this part of the game?

Daigoro

i finished it on Normal last week.

so much fun. i truly love this game. i loved 1 and 2 as well, but MGS3 kills them for me.

now im not sure how i want to proceed on subsequent playthroughs.

go for no kill/alert? unlock all of the secrets and camo i can? play through extreme and see if i can survive?

looks like this will require another 2-3 plays to get the full experience. i dont think that that will be a problem. fantastic game. truly GREAT.

Laurent

I've shot The End with my Mk22 and unfortunately, the Brady Strategy Guide is wrong. They've written that "killing" The End will give you the Moss Camo, which I thought was an easier way to get it (instead of the real way, pointing your gun at is head 3 times). Although, I am suposed to get his gun; but WHERE is it?!

Socreges

Banned
How fucking cool is this game!

'East Lab'

So I got into the major's costume (forgot his name). I then, of course, take a trip around and get any items that I had missed. Meanwhile, another officer walks up to me, salutes, and calls me "Sir". I kept on walking. He must have been insulted. Then I realize that pressing triangle salutes them back. I walk by another officer. I salute him and carry on. Then I get an idea. I equip the cig-spray, approach an officer, he salutes me, I salute him, and then I gas him in the face. So sly, so slick!

I just played Snake Vs Monkey for the first time today, and completed all five missions, and got the Monkey Mask. Sweet! Now the next time I play through MGS3, I'll have the Monkey Mask, The Patriot, and the downloadable camo patterns. Nice.

Piecake

Socreges said:
How fucking cool is this game!

'East Lab'

So I got into the major's costume (forgot his name). I then, of course, take a trip around and get any items that I had missed. Meanwhile, another officer walks up to me, salutes, and calls me "Sir". I kept on walking. He must have been insulted. Then I realize that pressing triangle salutes them back. I walk by another officer. I salute him and carry on. Then I get an idea. I equip the cig-spray, approach an officer, he salutes me, I salute him, and then I gas him in the face. So sly, so slick!

you can also beat the crap out of guards and scientists while wearing that uniform. They wont do a thing. I love beating the crap out of them and then saluting them. Their reaction is hilarious :lol

Piecake

Doom_Bringer said:
How to beat "The End?" Any tips without spoilers please!

Dont worry this doesnt contain spoilers

the way i did it was i used the directional microphone to try to find him. You can hear his breathing and he says "THIS is the End" when your directional microphone is pointed right to him. Once you find him just snip him. You can also use the Thermal Goggles to follow his footprints to find his hinding spot.

bobafett

BTW, speaking about MGS, I have 4 questions for the MGS freaks that I demand to be answered now! ;-)

1) What is the story behind Volgin's electrical body?

2) What is the correlation between Colonel Ivan and Raiden?

3) Is Ivan Volgin's lover?

4) What's the known story of Big Boss after MGS3?

Thanks.

Socreges

Banned
The Sorrow -- wtf

I had a fair amount of life left when he says "Wake up". He then attacks me, and I die. So I have to do that shit all over again??? Fuck fuck fuck

Dez

This was probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but it's way too long and I don't wanna read spoilers.. So, i was in the prison cell after the torture sequence, saved my game.. then came back a little later, and when I load it up
i'm playing a completely different game - flashback to ED sanity effects, lol. Any idea what the game is? it looked like a typical zombie-kililng game (hell it even had a manual camera, something MGS should have ;)

Laurent

Socreges said:
The Sorrow -- wtf

I had a fair amount of life left when he says "Wake up". He then attacks me, and I die. So I have to do that shit all over again??? Fuck fuck fuck
Take your WAKE UP pill using L1 once the "SNAKE IS DEAD" screens appear (wasn't that clear enough for you when he said that? ;oP)

By the way, I finally got The End cammo. All I did was pointing my Mk22 (I read "point a big gun at him" plenty of times on different FAQs, but it doesn't matter which guns you use) 3 times when he finally gave up! Ahhhhh... His gun is also a must to kill The Fury's stamina without having to actually kill him...

Anyone else here cry when viewing the ending ? I sure did, and this is my second time through . There hasn't been a game that made me do that since Silent Hill 2.

I am glad I didn't pay any attention to this game during its development (thanks MGS2!), so things were completely fresh for me .

Hideo Kojima > Hiroyuki Owaku ? ... Thats a tough one to decide !

Socreges

Banned
Laurent said:
Take your WAKE UP pill using L1 once the "SNAKE IS DEAD" screens appear (that wasn't clear enough for you when he said that?)
I could do without the tone, dickface. No thanks for you! ;)

Btw, it's a Revival pill. Not quite the same thing.

Laurent

Socreges said:
I could do without the tone, dickface. No thanks for you! ;)

Btw, it's a Revival pill. Not quite the same thing.
yamauchi.gif

There was no tone, you shouldn't read everything here so seriously. Otherwise, you'll make Yamauchi angrier than he is usually... :lol

Socreges

Banned
You're right.

"(that wasn't clear enough for you when he said that?)"

...didn't have a tone. My mistake.

And the Yamauchi connection -- BRILLIANT.

duckroll

Dez said:
This was probably mentioned somewhere in this thread, but it's way too long and I don't wanna read spoilers.. So, i was in the prison cell after the torture sequence, saved my game.. then came back a little later, and when I load it up
i'm playing a completely different game - flashback to ED sanity effects, lol. Any idea what the game is? it looked like a typical zombie-kililng game (hell it even had a manual camera, something MGS should have ;)

It's called Guy Savage. The trademark was registed by Konami back in June it seems. In the endgame credits you see that the "minigame" had a complete mini-staff on its own. The character designs are by the ZoE2/MGA character designer and the director and designer is Shuyo Murata of ZoE2 fame. In fact, most of the team is from ZoE2, including the assistant director, this might be a real game coming next year from KCEJ but there's no solid proof at the moment.

Kenobi

bobafett said:
BTW, speaking about MGS, I have 4 questions for the MGS freaks that I demand to be answered now! ;-)

Thanks.

1. There isn't one from what I know. It's just one of those things, like Vamp being a bisexual vampire.

2. IF you mean Volgin, Raidenech (or however its spelled) and he were lovers.

3. Wha--?

4. Well if you notice at the end of the game there is a 10 year or so gap between after the creation of FOXHOUND and the birth of the Sons of Big Boss. But from what I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that I take it after the events of Snake Eater, Big Boss decides to create his own "home" where soldiers like him can come home...this is Outer Heaven. But before that, as explained in Twin Snakes, BIg Boss gets severly hurt ( in a coma I believe) and then has some DNA extracted from him to make Solid, Solidus, and Liquid. But anyway, long story short, in Metal Gear, Solid, a rookie, destroys Metal Gear and stops Boss' plans. Metal Gear 2, Snake kills Big Boss after finding out that he (Big Boss) is his father. Big Boss' remains were recovered and were kept somewhere safe....and that's pretty much it, as of now.

Simo

bobafett said:

Not quite sure myself, maybe SIGINT has an answer?
I suspect it has something to do with the suit he wears though under his coat.

There isn't any. Raikov is more or less an ingame joke for the fans that either hated or loved the character of Raiden in MGS2.

Aye. Raikov even wears his engraved 'Thunderbolt' thong' :lol

Well I can only go on the information before MGS3 was released so I assume after MGS3, Big Boss became a mercenary and fought many battles before being recruited to form and train FOX-HOUND in 1971. I'd gather during those events,
he could of secured himself a "small" sum of the Philosopher's Legacy in order to secretly build Outer Heaven and begin his own Metal Gear project.

I've gotten to Grasny Grad (sp?) and it's been 10h....seems like there's going to be like 5 more hours (tell me I'm wrong, I want me 25 hours of awesomeness).

jett

D-Member
Pedigree Chum said:
I've gotten to Grasny Grad (sp?) and it's been 10h....seems like there's going to be like 5 more hours (tell me I'm wrong, I want me 25 hours of awesomeness).

Sounds like you rushed through the game. Oh well. :p

Brofist

ToyMachine228 said:
I just played Snake Vs Monkey for the first time today, and completed all five missions, and got the Monkey Mask. Sweet! Now the next time I play through MGS3, I'll have the Monkey Mask, The Patriot, and the downloadable camo patterns. Nice.

The monkey mask is so useless. Did you get the banana camo? At least that comes in handy (seems to replenish the life bar quickly).

The C4 hanger part is so easy when you get the maintenance uniform hehe..I realized that the 4th time through.

jett

D-Member
I'm playing through extreme now, just beat The Fury. Man, this game has nothing on MGS2's extreme mode. So far it seems to me that the difference between difficulty modes is pretty negligible, regarding the bosses. There's nothing quiet like Extreme Vamp, who is a fucking BITCH to kill without using the stinger trick(which I couldn't, cause I didn't have enough of them) and rations(which I had none when I faced him). It's pretty much the only criticism I have towards the game, I was expecting a real challenge in extreme mode...oh well. Maybe the eventual MGS3: Snake Sucker will have a real extreme mode. :p

J2 Cool

***SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR MGS1 AND SERIES IN GENERAL INCLUDED BELOW***

man, wtf. I've gone back to playing MGS1 after beating this twice and the Ocelot torture scene is incredibly hard. I never remembered it being that tough but then again I never played it on hard. It's such a tough switch to make. Trying to go through without radar and a crappy 1st person cam is hard. I've never had complaints about MGS3's and definetly won't after this. I have such an appreciation for MGS3's balance after this. The quick alerts, evasions, and then nothing. Having alert get turned on when you choke a guy in the stall.

I will say Snake's acting is much more realistic. He hits more emotion in some lines and has subtlety but then again I kind of like how his voice is in 3. Oh, and about the cyborg ninja, some of their talk reminded me of Boss/Snake. One must live, one must die. Not repeated exactly but same situation. Solid Snake during this game seems like a very disturbed man too. Probably akin to BB after MGS3 except he never recovers which Solid does because MGS1. But he's very angry, alone, and untrusting. I thought how he avoided feelings for Meryl saying "I never much worry about other people's lives, they just complicate my own" was very cool. Almost exactly like BB. Oh, and I thought I'd rank the soldiers in the MGS series, according to skill as how they're presented in the story. Not exactly by how tough their boss fights were. Cool idea from Gamefaqs but damn if any of there threads are actually well done. Was just trying to find MGS3 music from there maybe. But..

Big Boss = Boss (this one is close, not quite sure I can give an edge) > Solid Snake > Liquid Snake = Ocelot > Fox > Volgin > Solidus > Raiden = The End > Vamp > Psycho Mantis > Vulcan Raven > The Fury > Sniper Wolf > The Fear > The Pain > Olga > The Sorrow(though we never know his capabilities when alive) > Decoy Octopus > Fatman

Or, you know, a clean version of the sub characters and their factions. The Cobras(they had The Boss) > Foxhound >>>>>>>> Dead Cell

Oh, and anyone have any tips on the Ocelot torture chamber on hard? The bastard lied saying one more time. Then again saying one more time. I felt like I was in the middle of furious masturbation and couldn't finish. I need someone to take over midway through :lol

jett

D-Member
Hrm, I just got a FOURTH "Personal Data" thingy for Para-Medic. She appears in a cute dress. Just how many personal datas exist for each characteR??

jett said:
Hrm, I just got a FOURTH "Personal Data" thingy for Para-Medic. She appears in a cute dress. Just how many personal datas exist for each characteR??

huh? What have I missed now? Personal Data thingies?

And what is this talk about getting the End's sniper rifle? This thread has spiraled out of control too much for me to go looking through it. A little help?

(Is it a tranq sniper rifle? And how do you go about getting it?)

AssMan

Banned
Er. I can't seem to see the spoiler tag box when you reply to threads.=\

SPOILER!

Is it possible to fight the guards with the tranq gun after Volgin takes the Shagohod and you're on that bike chase with EVA? Did anyone try this all the way up to the part where you heal EVA and you have to find the lake to fight Boss?

jett

D-Member
Red Mercury said:
huh? What have I missed now? Personal Data thingies?

And what is this talk about getting the End's sniper rifle? This thread has spiraled out of control too much for me to go looking through it. A little help?

(Is it a tranq sniper rifle? And how do you go about getting it?)

Yeh. In the codec screen, you can change the pictures of the characters you talk to. If you talk to them often, you'll recieve new pictures named "Personal Data", with details about them.

You can get The End's tranq rifle by draining down his stamina.

BTW, a funny way of beating The Fury:
Knife combo. He'll get owned in SECONDS.

And uh, Assman, you put spoiler tags by writing [*Spoiler*] and [/spoiler] between a text(minus the *).

Top Bottom