• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NFL Week 13 Thread - RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Man, I'm pissed I fell asleep in the 3rd Q. I had a feeling the Ravens would blow it .. they just constantly got penalized during the game and you can't beat a good team with those mistakes.

That crowd was LOUD last night. Fun game to watch.

Sanjuro

Not feeling well and just came back home. All I can say is the Ravens ARE the most unprofessional team in the NFL after last night. Either it was them falling to the ground every 3 seconds and crying or racking up needless unsportsmanlike penalties OR questioning / calling out the officiating which only had one questionable call. (The Gaffney TD which from all views showed him with some sort of grip on the ball and not bobbling it.)

Out of all my years of watching football the Ravens are by far the least mature team I have EVER seen.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
The Ravens have a horrible legacy of whining in recent years, they played a great game and they pretty much ruined their effort tonight the way they blew up at the end.

Funny thing about that final TD catch, even if it was overturned, it would have been first and goal at like the 3 because of Scott's idiocy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Steelers get outcoached at every opportunity, I still remember how Shanahan gave him the dick a few weeks back. The Pats should have a big rebound game against the Steelers.

dkeane

DY_nasty said:
The Steelers get outcoached at every opportunity, I still remember how Shanahan gave him the dick a few weeks back. The Pats should have a big rebound game against the Steelers.
You would think so but I think the Pats are playing tired. 3 weeks of night games and they're really looking weak. Hopefully they'll pull themselves together this week and give us a great game Sunday.

Striker

BlueTsunami said:
The Giants will defeat the pats, bookmark this post and MARK MY WORDS
Depends if:

A) Patriots will play Brady, Moss, Welker, Samuel, etc. for the entire game

or

B) Jacobs is gashing through their defense

DY_nasty said:

Yes, it's as if the Steelers have never won anything at all in about 25 years or so. Everybody has their number, man. Just look at how many times they've been blown out, it's horrible.

woodchuck

Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle was particularly upset with the officiating tonight. He was upset with more than what he perceived to be incorrect calls. He was upset at how officials treated Ravens players in this game. He singled out head linesman Phil McKinnely for using disrespectful language.

"The refs called me a boy. No. 110 called me a boy. I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint. I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.' "

"I'm 30! I'm a man!"

woodchuck said:
"I'm 30! I'm a man!"

I guess he should have called him girl?

I hate the Pats immensely, but some of the Ravens are crying too much. They had that game and blew it. And the decision to not go after Brady at the end cost them as did Boller's pick and Reed's fumble on the INT return. Those were the key moments.

woodchuck

SI Sportsman of the Year is a joke.

Brett Favre was named the 2007 winner. :lol

It should have been Roger Federer this year. Are they just waiting until he wins the grand slam to give him the award?

2006 was Dwyane Wade. Almost as bad as having Favre named the winner. Tiger had a dominant year last year.

Striker

Spectral Glider said:
I guess he should have called him girl?

I hate the Pats immensely, but some of the Ravens are crying too much. They had that game and blew it. And the decision to not go after Brady at the end cost them as did Boller's pick and Reed's fumble on the INT return. Those were the key moments.
I would. On one Pats' catch he ran away from the guy instead of attacking.

Tamanon

Banned
You know, even though Paul Spicer did some bitching about the refs in the Jacksonville game, he also did some bitching to his own teammates when they did something wrong. I remember him on the sidelines absolutely tearing into Reggie Williams after that personal foul. I would've shit my pants if a man that big was just screaming at me.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Kastrioti said:
Just go to the AFC but leaving Detroit for another NFC would be a stab in the back. His been the most loved player for the last 3 years for most Lions fans. Let's see what the Lions do, but of course I only expect the worst from management.

As for Kevin Jones I don't blame him for leaving. He doesn't get used enough in our offense, and in another system he'll get you 1,300+ yard if he can stay healthy.
Dude, I was in Detroit all weekend and heard nothing but people bitching about how Roy Williams sucks and needs to go. That's why I hate detroit sports fans... they always blame the first thing they see. Personally I hope Roy goes because Lions fans don't deserve him.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man oh man, the bitching is glorious. The Ravens played out of their minds and they just throw it all away by acting like gigantic tools after the game. Does the league fine for these kind of comments? Some of these guys are basically saying the league is rigged!

Tamanon

Banned
I will never call a player a traitor in the NFL for going to another team. In a league where a career can be ended in one tackle, I don't blame players for getting the money when they can.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Absinthe said:
But that pass interference call was bullshit and I see where they are coming from there. There was a lot of acting going on. They're also right about Brady. Brady was throwing temper tantrums the whole game, but if a Ravens player had something to say they were immediately brushed off to the side and were expected to shut up. Do I think the Patriots get favorable calls? All the time. Right now they are this golden team that has been placed on a pedestal (the media, including the commentators basically fellate them) and I think the refs feel the need to give them preferential treatment.

what are you talking about with the PI?

Also that's complete bullshit, one of the players towards the end was literally inches from taking a ref out, sure he got a flag before that, but they didn't mind him threatning like that?

Kintaro

msdstc said:
what are you talking about with the PI?

Also that's complete bullshit, one of the players towards the end was literally inches from taking a ref out, sure he got a flag before that, but they didn't mind him threatning like that?

Yeah, there were two other points where the Ravens could have had even MORE called on them. When the holding call was flagged, someone (Reed?) took off his helmet and slammed it on the ground. That's a no-no. Can't do that shit. I was surprised there was no flag there. Then, the scene you're talking about where he had to be held back by his teammates. Easily, another flag could have been thrown there as well. Probably should have.

Some Ravens players probably going to receive some fines. Not that they care. Their season is done. Especially if this was their superbowl (what a stupid thing to say in the first place).

Kintaro

Big Zep said:
lol, Reed didn't slam his helmet...He just took it off and acted like he wanted to.

Ok. My bad. Looked like he did. However, guess what? Still a penalty. Can't take off your helmet like that while you're on the field.

levious

Kintaro said:
Ok. My bad. Looked like he did. However, guess what? Still a penalty. Can't take off your helmet like that while you're on the field.

I was actually wondering if he had stepped out of the endzone prior to removing his helmet, which might have made it ok, don't know the exact rule.

firex

I'm so used to this kind of meltdown/superiority complex combo from the ravens. Seems like they are the biggest bunch of sore losers in the NFL.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Haslett on first take is awesome right now.

Talking about the timeout last night: "I always told my coordinators that if there was something they saw in a critical situation they could call the timeout. But it had to be critical. Now if you look at the play last night the Ravens only had one lineman on the field, so of course he called the Timeout. He couldn't have known the LBs would play the way they did on that play, so you can't fault Ryan for taking that timeout."

on Gibbs: "One thing you have to remember, Dana, is that at this time of year coaches don't get a lot of sleep, so while they have the gameplan in mind they don't always have the most important thing at the front. I had a guy that would always know what rules applied to what situations, and he was always near me on the sidelines telling me things I may have forgotten. It's not that I wouldn't know it but I wouldn't be thinking about it, so if I called a TO he'd say "Careful coach, don't call another timeout.""

interesting stuff.

Tamanon said:
You know, even though Paul Spicer did some bitching about the refs in the Jacksonville game, he also did some bitching to his own teammates when they did something wrong. I remember him on the sidelines absolutely tearing into Reggie Williams after that personal foul. I would've shit my pants if a man that big was just screaming at me.
Ironically, Fred Taylor was about the only one not to talk shit after the game :lol

levious

JohnTinker said:
Only the head coach is supposed to be allowed to call a time out on the sidelines.

I don't think that's true, have they been saying this in news articles?

Tamanon

Banned
levious said:
I don't think that's true, have they been saying this in news articles?

The head coach is normally the only one, but they are allowed to give their assistants the authority to call time-outs, and that's what most do.

firex said:
I'm so used to this kind of meltdown/superiority complex combo from the ravens. Seems like they are the biggest bunch of sore losers in the NFL.

Yeah, they seem to do it at least one game a season. And let's be honest, they've always been one of the higher penalized teams.

SonnyBoy

whytemyke said:
Haslett on first take is awesome right now.

Talking about the timeout last night: "I always told my coordinators that if there was something they saw in a critical situation they could call the timeout. But it had to be critical. Now if you look at the play last night the Ravens only had one lineman on the field, so of course he called the Timeout. He couldn't have known the LBs would play the way they did on that play, so you can't fault Ryan for taking that timeout."

on Gibbs: "One thing you have to remember, Dana, is that at this time of year coaches don't get a lot of sleep, so while they have the gameplan in mind they don't always have the most important thing at the front. I had a guy that would always know what rules applied to what situations, and he was always near me on the sidelines telling me things I may have forgotten. It's not that I wouldn't know it but I wouldn't be thinking about it, so if I called a TO he'd say "Careful coach, don't call another timeout.""

interesting stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Spectral Glider said:
Yeah, they seem to do it at least one game a season. And let's be honest, they've always been one of the higher penalized teams.
Yeah but that's because they are dirty scumbag cheapshot artists. I really hate playing them in the pre-season.

LiveWire

whytemyke said:
Ever study old film of Michael Jordan?

The term "Jordan Calls" didn't come out of thin air. It's because he usually did get preferential treatment, and not because the refs consciously did it but because they just liked him. Every time he had to bitch about a call he would bend over, act like he's catching his breath next to a ref, and just start bitching. That way the ref wasnt put into a position where they were seen as being berated by a star, so they appreciated that respect and just LIKED Jordan more.

I think Tom Brady does a lot of that. He throws tantrums but he never embarasses a ref by running up to them spazzing out after a bad call.

My point is, yeah the Patriots are going to get some calls. All great teams get calls in every sport. That's the mark of a great team.

Are you kidding me? He flipped out on the refs like 4 times last night, arms in the air, yelling at the ref. He definitely wasn't trying to hide the bitching.

Oh and as for the Gibbs' timeout fuckup, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Lindell would have nailed the 51 yarder, just like he did the first time. The players snatched defeat from the jaws of victory for the 4th week in a row.

NME

It's swell to see that the majority of folks here see the Ravens for what they are.

One of my favorite things each week is listening to the fallout from each Ravens loss. It was so awesome to hear Ray Lewis talk about how Willie Parker had nothing against their defense when the Steelers hung 35 on the Ravens before half time. It was even funnier to hear the Ravens write off giving up 21 points to the Bengals as "we didn't give up any touchdowns."

Already this morning the spin has been astonishing on local sports talk radio, from the referee that was a member of the KKK and wanted to ***** Samari Rolle to the round table discussion of how much the refs are paid to give the game to the Patriots, to how great a person Bart Scott is and justifying his hissy-fit by saying "the fans were throwing bottles at him" (it was a home game, folks), and yes, complementing the "great job" the coaching staff did.

I used to hate the Ravens, but they are so bad on and off the field in terms of justifying poor performance and laying blame at everyone else's feet but their own that I've grown to love their ineptitude the way I love movies that are so bad that they wrap back around into greatness on some level. As an added bonus, no fair weather fans to put up with this year, and even a lot of so-called "true fans" are hiding their colors these days. It's wonderful.

Zep

Banned
For anyone who cares...I have Cowboys-Redskins tickets for Dec. 30th. Section 101. Let me know if you're interested! I already have them up on stubhub so don't wait!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm sure this was mentioned already but I had a good laugh when Seau got completely turned around, literally, by a little McGahee shake & bake--and then McGahee shoved him in the back to top it off. :lol It'd make a nice gif.

Gigglepoo

I love how the refs threw a bullshit illegal contact flag on that 4th and 6, just in case Brady didn't get the first down.

It's pretty clear the refs were biased for the Colts in the Patriots Colts game and it was pretty clear they were against the Ravens last night. Those situations should never happen in the NFL. They have to fix this shit quick.

maynerd

Banned
Pretty hot deal for a NFL jacket folks.

Reebok Storm Midweight Jacket regularly $99.99 - $50 = $49.99
Shipping around $6
Sales tax in CA, GA, IL, KY, MA and PA

http://slickdeals.net/?sduid=0&t=67...ex.jsp?categoryId=2895598&sr=1&origkw=2895598

Full zip weather resistant jacket with Velcro storm placket closure. Draw cord with rubber stopper at bottom hem; tackle twill/embroidery team decorations; NFL equipment logo sheild patch. Shell: 100% polyester micro dobby. Lining: 100% polyester fleece.

You can also stack the 20% off code on it as well... "NFLFF20"

Bowser

Don't know if this was posted but apparently the ref Scott was jawing with called him "boy" repeatedly throughout the game according to Samari Rolle.

Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle came to Bart Scott's defense. Rolle said the emotional linebacker, who was whistled twice for unsportsmanlike conduct after Jabar Gaffney's touchdown, was reacting to head linesman Phil McKinnely whom Rolle accused of calling the cornerback "boy." "He did it five times," Rolle said of the official. "You don't call a grown man with a wife and three kids 'boy.' ... If he put on a helmet, he wouldn't say that to me." Scott declined to talk to the media to confirm Rolle's account. Rolle said he planned to discuss the matter with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome to see if the organization could pursue action through the league. -- Baltimore Sun

levious

Gigglepoo said:
I love how the refs threw a bullshit illegal contact flag on that 4th and 6, just in case Brady didn't get the first down.

seemed pretty clear from the replay... unless you mean all illegal contacts are BS... they kind of are nowadays, but that's how they want it, thanks to Archie I guess.

maynerd said:
Pretty hot deal for a NFL jacket folks.

Reebok Storm Midweight Jacket regularly $99.99 - $50 = $49.99
Shipping around $6
Sales tax in CA, GA, IL, KY, MA and PA

http://slickdeals.net/?sduid=0&t=67...ex.jsp?categoryId=2895598&sr=1&origkw=2895598

Full zip weather resistant jacket with Velcro storm placket closure. Draw cord with rubber stopper at bottom hem; tackle twill/embroidery team decorations; NFL equipment logo sheild patch. Shell: 100% polyester micro dobby. Lining: 100% polyester fleece.

You can also stack the 20% off code on it as well... "NFLFF20"

Brother's christmas present now off the to-do list. thanks for the notice :D

X26

Banned
This season is a complete wash, Ravens are justified in complaining when the league went out of its way to give the Patriots* the W.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
X26 said:
This season is a complete wash, Ravens are justified in complaining when the league went out of its way to give the Patriots* the W.

I saw the game last night but don't see how the refs gave it to them. And I have a vested interest in completely and utterly hating the Pats--I'm a Jets fan.

Ravens blew it with Boller's horrible INT. That was the beginning of the inevitable end imo.

Dr.Strangelove said:

u smug? Answers to both questions are not surprisingly--yes.

How's it feel to be the Yanks of the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom