• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Magazine - Top Fifty DS games (yep, its a list)

(I know its a list, and GAF loves/loathes lists, but I'm eager to hear praise for the non-listed, less-well known awesome DS games, so here we go)

Official Nintendo Magazine had a vote on over the last month, asking its readers to nominate their top fifty Nintendo DS games. The entire top-fifty are as follows:

50. WarioWare: Touched
49. Mario Slam Basketball
48. Hotel Dusk
47. Custom Robo Arena
46. Sonic Rush
45. Kirby: Power Paintbrush
44. Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings
43. Tetris DS
42. N+
41. StarFox Command
40. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
39. Sonic Rush Adventure
38. Yoshi's Island DS
37. Harvest Moon DS
36. Disgaea DS
35. Big Bang Mini
34. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Time
33. Mario Party DS
32. Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
31. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
30. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
29. Castlevania: Order Of Ecclessia
28. Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire Of The Rift
27. Picross DS
26. Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time
25. Nintendogs
24. Dragon Quest V: Hand Of The Heavenly Bride
23. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
22. Metroid Prime Hunters
21. Elite Beat Agents
20. Final Fantasy IV
19. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
18. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations
17. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
16. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
15. Scribblenauts
14. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
13. Chrono Trigger
12. Super Mario 64
11. Professor Layton And Pandora's Box
10. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Rockstar, 2009

9. Professor Layton Curious Village
Level 5, 2008

8. The World Ends With You
Jupiter, 2008

7. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
AplhaDream, 2009

6. Animal Crossing: Wild World
Nintendo, 2006

5. Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Nintendo: 2007

4. New Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo, 2006

3. Pokémon Platinum
Game Freak, 2009

2. Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Nintendo, 2009

1. Mario Kart DS
Nintendo, 2005

My thoughts: Tetris DS is superb, varied, and compulsive and deserving of a higher place. Sonic Chronicles above Sonic Rush is special brand of lunacy, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was damn briliant and deserves to be at least recognised for this.

Interesting that the ONM readership doesn't appreciate any Brain-Training games, and have shunned Metroid Prime: Pinball.

I'd probably nominate Tetris DS for my number one. Its taken more time from me than any other DS game, and its wealth of modes ensures it remains engrossing. What's your number one?

Majine

Banned
Well deserved no1 spot. MKDS is incredibly fun, especially with friends (only one cartridge needed!)

Quite possibly last decades best multiplayer game.

Amir0x

Banned
Tetris DS cannot be in my top ten or anywhere close because it employs infinite spin, critically ruining otherwise perfect game balance. Any Tetris with infinite spin loses.

Also, why is the one standard mode only 200 line clears? Should go forever. Many of the other modes, while neat, similarly end too quickly at too easy a difficulty. They really needed to extend many of these modes to some "endless" mode.

As to the list itself, it fails because Animal Crossing is in the top ten, let alone the top fifty. Instantly invalidating anything on the list.

Also, :lol ONM

I'm happy that TWEWY made the top 10. I think it's a solid list overall. I, too, would have rated Phoenix Wright higher. I don't really think both of the Zeldas deserve to be in the top 10 though.

ShinNL

Amir0x said:
Tetris DS cannot be in my top ten or anywhere close because it employs infinite spin, critically ruining otherwise perfect game balance. Any Tetris with infinite spin loses.

Also, why is the one standard mode only 200 line clears? Should go forever. Many of the other modes, while neat, similarly end too quickly at too easy a difficulty. They really needed to extend many of these modes to some "endless" mode.
Nintendo themes totally make up for it and in versus mode there's no point to infinitely spin anyway.

Surprisingly, I like the games out of the top 10 more than the top 10 itself. Is GTA really that good though? It surpassed all my castlevanias and ace attorneys.

As to the list itself, it fails because Animal Crossing is in the top ten, let alone the top fifty. Instantly invalidating anything on the list.
What's wrong with you :O?

Amir0x

Banned
i'm sorry wanky Nintendo fanservice for the manchildren set cannot compensate for critical gameplay failures

Amir0x

Banned
Soneet said:
Fun > hardcore pride.

Exactly. Which is why infinite spin, which is corrosive to fun, is being criticized here. And why wanky Nintendo fanservice, which you tried to claim compensated for this fault, is not.

Acosta

New Super Mario Bros on the top 10, and above Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, rips any credit the list could have. And Animal Crossing: Wild World at the top 10 makes it a complete joke.

Beezy

No Trauma Center... no Etrian Odyssey... no Contra 4... Hotel Dusk, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and multiple Sonic games managed to make the list though? Hilarious. :lol

ShinNL

Amir0x said:
Exactly. Which is why infinite spin, which is corrosive to fun, is being criticized here. And why wanky Nintendo fanservice, which you tried to claim compensated for this fault, is not.
Damn, my logic could be read both ways. Backfired. Damn.

Amir0x

Banned
Beezy said:
No Trauma Center... no Etrian Odyssey... no Contra 4... Hotel Dusk, Nintendogs, and multiple Sonic games managed to make the list though? Hilarious. :lol

Etrian Odyssey and Contra 4 are big oversights. At first I thought they left off Kirby Canvas too, but then I realized it was called Kirby Paintbrush in Europe. But that game is still fucking obscenely low on the list. especially when you consider that Sonic Brotherhood is many places above it.

Sonic Brotherhood was so, so bad.

LIST WARS

Lists like this always seem to have a predictable/obvious top 5 and then a bunch of omissions or strange out of order entries for the rest of the list.

Amir0x said:
i'm sorry wanky Nintendo fanservice for the manchildren set cannot compensate for critical gameplay failures

This should be interesting...

Michael+Jackson+Jackson_popcorn.gif

Xater

The top 10 aside, ther eis way too much shit on that list!

50. WarioWare: Touched
49. Mario Slam Basketball
47. Custom Robo Arena
44. Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings
41. StarFox Command
39. Sonic Rush Adventure
34. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Time
33. Mario Party DS
31. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
22. Metroid Prime Hunters
15. Scribblenauts

Really now? These titles belong on this list?

Mario Kart DS is deserving of that spot, I think. Amazing fun.

Sonic Rush is probably my favorite DS game, though.

Pokemon Heart Gold will probably be near the top when I get it in a couple hours and play it for days on end.

Warioware: DIY might be up there as well, depending on the user-created games and music.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
No Chocobo Tales, Rocket Slime, Rhythm Heaven, Meteos, Space Invaders Extreme, Trauma Center, Contra 4, Etrian Odyssey, Soul Bubbles, Phantasy Star Zero, Orcs & Elves, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier, Devil Survivor, Lunar Knights, etc. etc etc.

BANGAI-O RAGE

that takes up all fifty slots in my list

i would seriously rather own fifty copies of it than any other games, more space to save levels!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For the brigade of "where dis gaem at", consider that there are more than 50 awesome ds games and any list is going to leave out some that you love. it'd make much more sense to point out games that are on the list and don't deserve to be than games that are missing.

I own or have owned 41/50. I don't own Fire Emblem DS, Sonic Rush Adventure, Harvest Moon DS, Disgaea DS, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, Sonic Chronicles, Miles Edgeworth, Nintendogs, or Pokemon Platinum.

It really is amazing that there are 50 pretty decent to amazing games on that list, and then they missed another good 20-30 good games. <3 my DS.

GhaleonQ

I expected a Nintendo-published bias, but geez.

Also, I will join in saying, "Bangai-O Spirits, you dolts." And I will stand alone in saying, "Chibi-Robo and Tingle, you morons."

At least all of them are good, though, which is more than could be said of a top 50 of any other platform.

jrricky

Banned
Xater said:
The top 10 aside, ther eis way too much shit on that list!

Really now? These titles belong on this list?
:lol Yea, alot of them do. Scribblenauts should have been top ten.

Why Trials & Tribulations is ranked lower than the original Ace Attorney and is not in the Top 10 is beyond me, but still a pretty good list as far as lists go.

Bernbaum

Mama Robotnik said:
I'd probably nominate Tetris DS for my number one. Its taken more time from me than any other DS game, and its wealth of modes ensures it remains engrossing. What's your number one?
I don't do ranked lists, but Tetris and Mario Kart would have to be my most-played and loved games on the handheld.

I found a store the other day with about a dozen brand-new copies of Tetris DS just sitting there for sale. Game is super rare round my way, and I should've snatched up every damn copy.

EDIT: BTW, I'm getting sick of Scribblenauts getting dragged through the mud. It was a fine game that suffered from the high expectations of GAF hype. If it didn't have any of the buzz built up around it in the lead-up to its release, it would probably be viewed as cult hit title.

vall03

thestopsign said:
It really is amazing that there are 50 pretty decent to amazing games on that list, and then they missed another good 20-30 good games. <3 my DS.

QFT! I have some games on that list and I still have dozens of games left that I havent bought yet. Even my friends are already amazed at my meager 40+ collection of DS games yet I keep on saying to them that Im not yet content with it and that I still have a lot of games I want to play :lol

Top Bottom