• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Magazine - Top Fifty DS games (yep, its a list)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fuck the Zelda DS haters. Both games are awesome.

It's funny how you could do Top 200 DS games lists with only high quality titles showing up.

42. N+
37. Harvest Moon DS
31. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Is that list serious?

Electroplankton and Super Princess Peach are nowhere to be seen, yet they listed a poor port of N+, the weakest DS Harvest Moon game (even in Europe we've had Island of Happiness and Rune Factory 1, so there is no excuse for this being listed) and Sonic Chronicles which is one of the worst Sonic games I've ever played.

Beezy

Brazil said:
Fuck the Zelda DS haters. Both games are awesome.

It's funny how you could do Top 200 DS games lists with only high quality titles showing up.
If you think the DS Zelda games are awesome, then I can see how that would actually be possible in your mind.

kswiston

I know this is the Official Nintendo Magazine, and I know that Nintendo Publishes some great DS titles, but on a system that has seen as much 3rd party support as the DS, Nintendo Published titles should not make up 60% of a top 50 list.

That said, I own or have owned 32 of the games on this list. A lot of great titles there.

Didnt see henry hatsworth on the list and already mentioned but etrain odyssey (would put the sequel on actually if just could have one) is so great.

Dascu

No Bangai-O Spirits? Spirit Tracks and TWEWY in the top 10?

14jyy9y.gif

My top ten would probably have:
Advance Wars DS
The World Ends With You
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Elite Beat Agents/Oendan
Meteos
Chrono Trigger
Jump Ultimate Stars
Clash of Heroes MM
Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GhaleonQ said:
I expected a Nintendo-published bias, but geez.

Also, I will join in saying, "Bangai-O Spirits, you dolts." And I will stand alone in saying, "Chibi-Robo and Tingle, you morons."

At least all of them are good, though, which is more than could be said of a top 50 of any other platform.

why the FUCK is chibi-robo park patrol not on this list?

one of my absolute favorite ds games. and certainly better than many of the games listed from 30-50, at least.

GhaleonQ said:
I expected a Nintendo-published bias, but geez.

Also, I will join in saying, "Bangai-O Spirits, you dolts." And I will stand alone in saying, "Chibi-Robo and Tingle, you morons."

At least all of them are good, though, which is more than could be said of a top 50 of any other platform.
Not released in the UK....

jibblypop

Banned
The DS is the best shit ever. I can't believe I'm looking at a list filled to the brim with must have games and thinking of even more must have games that should be on it.

Beezy said:
No Trauma Center... no Etrian Odyssey... no Contra 4... Hotel Dusk, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and multiple Sonic games managed to make the list though? Hilarious. :lol

Yeah man, the fuck are Etrian Odyssey, Trauma Center, and Contra 4. Bangai-O too.

...wait wait wtf are you trying to say about Hotel Dusk?

ksamedi

Decent list that lacks some great RPG's. I can't say I agree with the top ten either. I'd put both Zelda's and M&L in the top 3. A lot of people are going to disagree because of the amount of quality games on the DS.

Deku

Banned
I do not agree with #2,#4 and #5

on second thought, Top 11 to 50 and the list is full of crap.

Disgea DS and Starfox command charting should tell you something.

Koren

Amir0x said:
Tetris DS cannot be in my top ten or anywhere close because it employs infinite spin, critically ruining otherwise perfect game balance. Any Tetris with infinite spin loses.
Sony any Tetris will now lose ;) It's mandatory. I reckon it's not a good idea, but I don't think it's such a big deal. It didn't ruined the game for me, at least.

About OP comments, I really really think that Metroid Pinball is a damn fine pinball, with good physics and interesting tables. It would be in my top50, at least.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Drkirby said:
Sonic Chronicles is on the list, but not Kirby Super Star Ultra?

I HAVE FURY D:<
While I don't like Kirby Super Star Ultra all too much, it's really strange to see such a horrible game as Sonic Chronicles on a "best anything" list. At least the best Kirby game ever made, Kirby Canvas Course is on the list, albeit being rated way too low.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wow, Kirby: Canvas Curse is way to low. Should be in the top 10.

I know Chrono Trigger is just a remake, but it is still loads better then A World Ends With You and deserves to be higher then it.

Hotel Dusk and any Pheonix Wright should be 20 or higher.

WTF at no Yoshi Touch and Go, Electroplankton, Meteos, and Brain Age?!?!?!?

No Meteos makes this list fail.
Solid list though.

And I don't think Advance Wars: Days of Ruin should be on that list. The game was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, especially compared to its brilliant predecessor Dual Strike.

Zoramon089 said:
Zelda DS haters are hilarious. Keep blaming the game for your ineptitude at using the stylus...

Um...what? Controls is the last thing most people consider to be a problem in Phantom Hourglass. In fact, that's probably one of its few strong points :lol

haven't played Spirit Tracks yet

legend166

Amir0x said:
Tetris DS cannot be in my top ten or anywhere close because it employs infinite spin, critically ruining otherwise perfect game balance. Any Tetris with infinite spin loses.

Also, why is the one standard mode only 200 line clears? Should go forever. Many of the other modes, while neat, similarly end too quickly at too easy a difficulty. They really needed to extend many of these modes to some "endless" mode.

As to the list itself, it fails because Animal Crossing is in the top ten, let alone the top fifty. Instantly invalidating anything on the list.

Also, :lol ONM

You know, when criticising a game for stripping away it's 'hardcoreness', you probably shouldn't reveal that you actually suck at the game anyway.

hint: once you clear 200 lines and 'beat' standard mode, you get an endless option.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Freakinchair said:
Missing two Ace Attorney games - list fails.

I had a feeling someone would say this :lol

jibblypop said:
The DS is the best shit ever. I can't believe I'm looking at a list filled to the brim with must have games and thinking of even more must have games that should be on it.

QFT, the DS has one of the greatest gaming lineups ever.

Instro

Not sure how I feel about this list, for the most part the top 10 is ok, I mean obviously in their list it would be populated with Nintendo games as they are ONM after all, but some of the other ranks are just ridiculous. Hotel Dusk all the way down at 48 is terrible, at least one of the Castlevania games should be top 10 but they are all ranked way too low, and Scribblenauts is insanely high, among others.

EDIT

Just noticed Dawn of Sorrow isnt even on the list, wtf is this shit, that game is one of the highest rated games on the DS.

Top Bottom