• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Darkman M

oo Kosma oo said:
I think we all know how the hardware numbers will play out, the software numbers are way more exciting this month.

Yeah Software will be the most interesting thing this month for sure.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
oo Kosma oo said:
I think we all know how the hardware numbers will play out, the software numbers are way more exciting this month.

Basically, yeah.

I have my handful of games I loved this fall and I want to see them do amazing numbers.

A few press releases have already told me they have done amazing numbers. Now I just want to see it carved into NPD history.

One thing I was talking to Luke about earlier was the fact that NPD is only half of retail, right? Isn't it kind of scary that they're filling in the blanks with guesstimates to present a set of data that a lot of people here, not to mention investors and the market, take as gospel?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
chespace said:
One thing I was talking to Luke about earlier was the fact that NPD is only half of retail, right? Isn't it kind of scary that they're filling in the blanks with guesstimates to present a set of data that a lot of people here, not to mention investors and the market, take as gospel?

I'm not a stats guy, but I'm pretty sure 60% is more than enough to make accurate projections.

chespace said:
You'd be amazed at how accurate estimates can be when you have 50% of the data and enough historical trending to analyse.

sphinx

the piano man
AirBrian said:
It's currently 3:43 PM CST or 4:43 PM CST.

:( I don't follow, sorry.
Damn american times, it's so complicated.

As I understand it, the data is released to subscribers at 4:30- but it isn't made public until 6:30. But lately Cassassassassasssamina has been hinting at the numbers between 4:30 and 6:30.

So, the numbers could arrive anytime from now? :O

thrilling...

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:
I'm not a stats guy, but I'm pretty sure 60% is more than enough to make accurate projections.
Yup. And the remaining ~40% is not blind guessing, they've got market share data on the major contributors, etc. There's a margin of error, maybe even a sizable one, but it's the best we've got. It's this or scour Amazon charts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:

thrilling...

Not likely. The best you will get until 6:30 are potentially hints from Matt C. at IGN

Dot50Cal

Banned
sphinx said:

thrilling...

NPD Release: December 13th @ 4:00 p.m. EST (thread posted around 6:30 p.m. EST)

You have 1 hour, 40 minutes til 6:30PM EST.

Zzoram

chespace said:
Basically, yeah.

I have my handful of games I loved this fall and I want to see them do amazing numbers.

A few press releases have already told me they have done amazing numbers. Now I just want to see it carved into NPD history.

Considering that television ratings are determined by only 5000 households across the USA, I'd say 60% retailer participation (now including Amazon.com) is pretty good for accurate modeling.

apujanata

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. And the remaining ~40% is not blind guessing, they've got market share data on the major contributors, etc. There's a margin of error, maybe even a sizable one, but it's the best we've got. It's this or scour Amazon charts.

you forgot to mentioned the "you-know-who" website, that are pulling sales # from their ass (a lot of time), and are quoted a lot by the media (who didn't know better).

Zzoram said:
Considering that television ratings are determined by only 5000 households across the USA, I'd say 60% retailer participation (now including Amazon.com) is pretty good for accurate modeling.

exactly. nielsen is roughly 5100 projected to over 110 million.

comparatively 60% seems incredibly strong.

chespace

So do these numbers include the other 40% that they're making a guess on, or just the numbers that they know for sure? I assume it's the former.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
Not likely. The best you will get until 6:30 are potentially hints from Matt C. at IGN

Meh, I'll get some work done in the meantime and come back to the already 10 page long allmighty thread of meltdowns, tears, insanity and bans.

Xisiqomelir

chespace said:

picard.jpg

GhaleonEB

apujanata said:
you forgot to mentioned the "you-know-who" website, that are pulling sales # from their ass (a lot of time), and are quoted a lot by the media (who didn't know better).
I'd rather scour Amazon charts. :p

And Che, NPD extrapolates to cover the entire market.

Zzoram

chespace said:
So do these numbers include the other 40% that they're making a guess on, or just the numbers that they know for sure? I assume it's the former.

They know the 60% for sure, and based on history, demographics of people shopping the retailers not included and such they extrapolate the rest.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
chespace said:

I'm pretty sure the estimations are included as well.

chespace

GhaleonEB said:
I'd rather scour Amazon charts. :p

And Che, NPD extrapolates to cover the entire market.

I would love to see what Target, Walmart, and Best Buy numbers actually are. Seems like more of a mass market measure.

Provider

sphinx said:
Meh, I'll get some work done in the meantime and come back to the already 10 page long allmighty thread of meltdowns, tears, insanity and bans.

Me too :'(, I have (to teach) 2 classes :'(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FWIW, MS has said that NPD comes frighteningly close to their own internal figures. It's not like NPD is just sitting back, getting some random data, and "guessing" the rest without any basis. These kinds of calculations are a very large part of what they do, and they are very good at it.

sphinx

the piano man
Provider said:
Me too :'(, I have (to teach) 2 classes :'(

wow, me too, what a coincidence. fFrom 6:00 PM til 8:00 I have to teach. :lol :lol

anyway, once the thread is ripe around 9:30, it will be better than playing games, actually.

Zzoram

chespace said:
I would love to see what Target, Walmart, and Best Buy numbers actually are. Seems like more of a mass market measure.

They used to have Walmart numbers long ago, so they know roughly how the Walmart demographic used to buy things and what appealed to them. I'm sure that factors into their extrapolation of current Walmart sales.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think he's speaking generally, in response to the current Che-related discussion, not about today specifically.

Right. There was a pretty good article about this precise issue, but like I alluded to above I don't remember the thread it was buried in. The reasonable conclusion is: TRUST NPD.

Borys

Banned
Meh, 1 hour left, it's 23:00 here in Poland, I'm going to sleep.

Best wishes go to... Ghaleon, Tieno and Agent Icebreezy, I was annoying this week, hope you guys don't mind and celebrate those 700K 360 sold with smile.

Provider

sphinx said:
wow, me too, what a coincidence. fFrom 6:00 PM til 8:00 I have to teach. :lol :lol

anyway, once the thread is ripe around 9:30, it will be better than playing games, actually.

HAhaHaHah what a coincidence. Well gtg I hope I'll come back to meltdowns!!

Zzoram

Also, the Walmart and Target demographics I assume would be more price sensitive, and would therefore likely have sales better correlated to price.

pr0cs

AstroLad said:
FWIW, MS has said that NPD comes frighteningly close to their own internal figures. It's not like NPD is just sitting back, getting some random data, and "guessing" the rest without any basis. These kinds of calculations are a very large part of what they do, and they are very good at it.
Considering how much they charge for the data I'd be surprised if the numbers weren't extremely accurate.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
[360] 900k
[GBA] 200k
[NDS] 1300k
[PS2] 900k
[PS3] 600k
[PSP] 880k
[WII] 950k

PlayStation 2 496K
PlayStation 3 466K
PSP 567K
Xbox 360 770K
Wii 981K
Nintendo DS 1.53 million

360 - off by 130k
DS - off by 200k
PS2 - off by 404k
PS3 - off by 134k
PSP - off by 313k
Wii - off by 31k

ps2/psp killed me. ds was also way more than i ever could have expected. I nailed Wii though. i KNEW it would be a cut under 1 million.

apujanata

[NDS] 1250K : 280K off
[Wii] 1000K : 19K off
[PSP] 650K : 83K off
[360] 580K : 190K off (I'm dead)
[PS2] 320K : 176K off (another dead)
[PS3] 300K : 247K off (worse of the bunch)
[GBA] 120K : no result yet.

Total : 995K off.
I'm doing really, really bad this month :(

davepoobond said:
360 - off by 130k
DS - off by 200k
PS2 - off by 404k
PS3 - off by 134k
PSP - off by 313k
Wii - off by 31k

ps2/psp killed me. ds was also way more than i ever could have expected. I nailed Wii though. i KNEW it would be a cut under 1 million.

Your 1,212K off is a little bit worse than me. We are in good company.

argon

Here's what I have... I haven't doublechecked my numbers so they could be wrong, though.

Code:
	NeoGAF	Pachter	TSE	argon	NPD
NDS	1254	1350	1300	1280	1530
Wii	1020	950	1060	1030	981
X360	747	750	728	720	770
PSP	560	650	468	600	567
PS2	461	485		550	496
PS3	414	420	410	400	466

Diff	432	371		502	
Diff*	397	360	506	448	

* = PS2 not included (for comparison with theSimExchange)

Looks like Pachter owned us this month... and I got beaten by the aggregate =(

Wii-za

Prediction
[DS] 1400K
[Wii] 1250K
[360] 700K
[PSP] 600K
[PS3] 300K
[PS2] 450K
[GBA] 200K

NPD
Nintendo DS 1.53 million