• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Preview Thread

chespace said:
So if PS3 did 500k or more, is that really good, or a sign that they're turning the ship around?

Is GAF's prediction of 420k a measure of success or failure?

Same question for 360.

Since when does GAF have the ultimate say in what is, and isn't, a failure? It just thinks it does. Its like Mother Brain from Metroid, but in the end, it usually gets a super missile to its face.

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
So if PS3 did 500k or more, is that really good, or a sign that they're turning the ship around?

Same question for 360.
I think 500k would indicate the ship is turning around, but slowly. 420k would be sub-par. 360 bar should be 700k to be considered very good.

AirBrian

Zzoram said:
I wouldn't be surprised of NDS sales were higher than expected. I see NDS on sale in every flyer, on the front page.
Why the GAF collective (myself included) always underestimates the DS is beyond me.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
TheKingsCrown said:
Since when does GAF have the ultimate say in what is, and isn't, a failure? It just thinks it does. Its like Mother Brain from Metroid, but in the end, it usually gets a super missile to its face.

Who said it has to be ultimate say? Obviously, I'm asking what GAF considers the numbers in terms of success or failure. Not the ultimate super EX alpha last word on success or failure.

chespace said:

Same question for 360.

80K is the difference between victory and defeat but you should know that , c'mon.

JavyOO7

DS obliterates everything. Wii next. 360 after that. PS3 outsold by every other system. However, numbers for all consoles have seen a significant boost, PS3 included.

Nothing even comes close to DS, and Wii has its biggest month in a long time, possibly ever.

Matt

Haha, oh wow.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chespace said:

Same question for 360.

It HAS to do more than 500k this month. Price drop, Wii shortages. Finally has the games. If it is EVER going to beat 500k, it's Nov.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
chespace said:

Same question for 360.
I wouldn't label it success or failure either way because (IMO) success not only depends on how well the console sells, but also how would it be supported by Sony, third party software vendors, etc. Sales is but one factor. Having deep pockets is another.

JavyOO7

chespace said:
Who said it has to be ultimate say? Obviously, I'm asking what GAF considers the numbers in terms of success or failure. Not the ultimate super EX alpha last word on success or failure.

I think if PS3 doesn't sell more than 500k, then it's probably screwed for the rest of the generation.

As for x360 its so strong in America, but it seems like its losing its foothold to the PS3 (in Europe). I say the # that GAF said for x360 would be considered a success.

Just so it can be quoted:

DS obliterates everything. Wii next. 360 after that. PS3 outsold by every other system. However, numbers for all consoles have seen a significant boost, PS3 included.

Nothing even comes close to DS, and Wii has its biggest month in a long time, possibly ever.

Matt

Frillen

Matt: DS obliterates everything. Wii next. 360 after that. PS3 outsold by every other system. However, numbers for all consoles have seen a significant boost, PS3 included.

Matt

Edit: Beaten.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Anerythristic said:
80K is the difference between victory and defeat but you should know that , c'mon.

GAF plays fast and loose by its own rules and interpretations of success and failure. It's something that still takes me by surprise even though I should know better.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Matt

WOW. I was just thinking that probably DS was higher then 1.3 millions.

DayShallCome said:
"Also, Guitar Hero 3 on Wii officially has mega-momentum.

Matt "

WOW (2)

CrisKre

Same question for 360.

Less than 500k for PS3 IN NOVEMBER, AFTER A PRICEDROP (2nd this year), WITH BIG GAMES LAUNCHING would be bad. Period. Especially highlighting the pricedrop part. Anyone that knows anything about marketing will tell you pricecuts have an intantaneous effect on sales. They boost sales in the short term and generate product diferentiation from the competition. But it isnt long lasting as a sales boost. So yeah. November SHOULD refelct that boost.

Edit: OH and i should add a HUGE add campaign. God god. I see PS3 commercials everywhere on tv.

Norse

BenjaminBirdie said:

Matt

so 360 outsold ps2? and ps2 outsold ps3? hmmmm

Arde5643

DayShallCome said:
"Also, Guitar Hero 3 on Wii officially has mega-momentum.

Matt "
If this is true, Harmonix is stapling themselves in the balls right now for not releasing Rockband for the Wii - they've already kicked them enough when they saw NPD numbers for GH3 Wii last month.

chespace said:

Same question for 360.

I think if the PS3 manages to pass or come very close to what the Xbox 360 did last November I think it's a good sign. The average GAF prediction is significantly under that and I think if GAF is right, things haven't changed for Sony. Over 700,000 for the Xbox 360 seems like a successful November in my opinion.

Jeff-DSA

chespace said:
GAF plays fast and loose by its own rules and interpretations of success and failure. It's something that still takes me by surprise even though I should know better.

Yeah, but isn't it failure that the PS3 keeps slipping farther behind the 360 regardless of sales numbers? I mean, even if the gap was slim this past month, it's still falling behind more and more.

I personally don't care, because I have all three platforms, but to think that 500k is success with the 360 selling 700k is just a little odd. Sony can't afford to lose the US, no matter how well they're doing at home.

Anyone else get the feeling there's about to be a huge shitstorm here when the numbers are posted? GAFers will cry, laugh, mock and cheer for their various console. Arguments will begin, ban hammers will come crashing down, and at the end of the day, we'll still have the December-side of the holiday season to look forward to next month. :lol

Arde5643 said:
If this is true, Harmonix is stapling themselves in the balls right now for not releasing Rockband for the Wii - they've already kicked them enough when they saw NPD numbers for GH3 Wii last month.

I expect more hilarious non adding up of solus and non-solus GH3 packs by anyone trying to make a point

Iksenpets

Banned
Stinkles said:
It HAS to do more than 500k this month. Price drop, Wii shortages. Finally has the games. If it is EVER going to beat 500k, it's Nov.

Setting up the enemy for a disappointment, eh? I'm onto your little game.

laserbeam

Banned
CrisKre said:
Less than 500k for PS3 IN NOVEMBER, AFTER A PRICEDROP (2nd this year), WITH BIG GAMES LAUNCHING would be bad. Period. Especially highlighting the pricedrop part. Anyone that knows anything about marketing will tell you pricecuts have an intantaneous effect on sales. They boost sales in the short term and generate product diferentiation from the competition. But it isnt long lasting as a sales boost. So yeah. November SHOULD refelct that boost.

Even more so when Industry People like N'gai as early as January said the PS3 had to hit the 300,000 sales a month average for the year to be successful. if they can barely break the average monthly mark of success to industry people in the holiday period only then they are in trouble.

Mrbob

November is such a big and special month for sales, I hope we get more than 10 software numbers.

Like a top 50.

[Nintex]

Soka said:
Anyone else get the feeling there's about to be a huge shitstorm here when the numbers are posted?
I got that feeling as well, Although I think that PS3 and Wii will be lower than we predicted.

Soka said:
Anyone else get the feeling there's about to be a huge shitstorm here when the numbers are posted? GAFers will cry, laugh, mock and cheer for their various console. Arguments will begin, ban hammers will come crashing down, and at the end of the day, we'll still have the December-side of the holiday season to look forward to next month. :lol

Yes, I do get the feeling that NPD numbers are being released today and that GAF will respond as per usual.

;D

felipeko

CrisKre said:
Also, what was the biggest NPD monthly sales for any system ever? could DS top whatever that was today? anyone?
I would guess we will have a new record for november... and probably december...

Amir0x

Banned
why can't everyone just enjoy the PS3 for other reasons, 'cause it's always going to be a failure from a sales perspective. Better accept that now rather than later...

Top Bottom