• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Preview Thread

HomShaBom

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
When Matt says "every console", does that include GBA? That's the most important thing.
He said every other system.

Return of
8f0b78h.gif
?

Hunter D

This gen sales in the US will be like this for consoles-

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

The only time that consoles have competed for an entire gen was the 16 bit gen. The first full year standings usually represent the standings for the entire gen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
omg rite said:
Er.. When your competition is as better as they are, yeah, you kinda do.

You really don't think developers will drop support if these are the sales numbers we see next year?

I don't think so, no, because there's still a viable market there, and it's a better picture when you factor in things globally, which is what publishers will be doing.

Xbox had strong third party support, for example, despite lagging behind the leader in a huge fashion.

People talk about sales as being important because it determines developer support, but past a certain point it is of diminishing importance.

Further, pubs like ubisoft are talking about it costing maybe 10% more to port between platforms (360, PS3, PC), now, so spreading across platforms, even of significantly unequal size, makes a lot of sense in that kind of context anyway. It's not about PS3 on its own, it's whatever PS3 adds. Sure there are exclusives too, but they'll probably pull their weight. There was an interesting article in Develop recently about multiplatform development, and the one console fingered as being a little problematic was Wii, because it is the odd man out and its harder to spread your investment..at least across 'current consoles' (which is why you see ps2/psp ports to try and compensate).

f@luS

More than a member.
I think that sony can still do very well in the USA, but 2008 will be decisive. ANyway, worldwide sales through the end of the year should still place the PS3 at #2, but not by far ahead of the 360 i think. but i dont know :D

Amir0x said:
It can stay around for as long as any typical generation, just the same as Gamecube or Xbox could. And people enjoyed them plenty, and had plenty of games to make a case for their system of choice.

And at least in the case of PS3, not only is it extremely powerful, but it also has a factually superior online system to the winning console of this new generation, and many other features to be proud of. So I think it's in the best interest of Sony fans to accept the system as a sales failure, and get comfortable in the third place shoes. After all, third place doesn't mean bad system...

As long as it survives like the Xbox did last generation and not the way the Gamecube did, I'm completely happy with my purchase. It has plenty of redeeming qualities but I don't think I would want it to be my only console of this generation.

Felix Lighter said:
As long as it survives like the Xbox did last generation and not the way the Gamecube did, I'm completely happy with my purchase. It has plenty of redeeming qualities but I don't think I would want it to be my only console of this generation.

It selling so badly make me more likely to buy one, but then I`m perverse

Arde5643

Frillen said:
We didn't get GBA numbers last month did we? I seriously doubt that the GBA outsold the PS3.
Expect epic meltdowns if that actually happens.

But yes, it seems impossible for that to ever happen again.

botticus

oo Kosma oo said:
How much time left? 1 hour?
20 minutes.

Frillen said:
We didn't get GBA numbers last month did we? I seriously doubt that the GBA outsold the PS3.
I'd be kinda surprised if there are 600k GBAs left to sell out there. But hey, surprise me, NPD!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hunter D said:
This gen sales in the US will be like this for consoles-

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

The only time that consoles have competed for an entire gen was the 16 bit gen. The first full year standings usually represent the standings for the entire gen.

wii still has a lot of makeway to overtake 360's software sales. that hasn't happened in any historical example afaik.

f@luS

More than a member.
Amir0x said:
It can stay around for as long as any typical generation, just the same as Gamecube or Xbox could. And people enjoyed them plenty, and had plenty of games to make a case for their system of choice.

And at least in the case of PS3, not only is it extremely powerful, but it also has a factually superior online system to the winning console of this new generation, and many other features to be proud of. So I think it's in the best interest of Sony fans to accept the system as a sales failure, and get comfortable in the third place shoes. After all, third place doesn't mean bad system...
3rd place shoes will not be possible. PS3 is having 1:2 ratio with 360 worldwide sales . In one year against 2 years, but it was launch only 9 month ago in europe , where PS3 is having great sales. PS3 will lead the 360 in 2 markets, though not the biggest, but it will be more than enough to make it the #2 at the end of the generation, for sure.

Fredescu

I don't think he would bother to say it outsold every other system if he only meant consoles, since he listed every consoles place except PS2. I'd guess it means PSP and PS2 outsold PS3. The only question about GBA is whether we get numbers for it, which I doubt.

Fredescu said:
I don't think he would bother to say it outsold every other system if he only meant consoles, since he listed every consoles place except PS2. I'd guess it means PSP and PS2 outsold PS3. The only question about GBA is whether we get numbers for it, which I doubt.
If that's the case, my predictions are going to be weeping gently to themselves...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
Prizefighter sets a worrying precedent, though.

It doesn't exactly set a trend. There are third party games coming to PS3 that aren't coming to 360 either, but I wouldn't use them as a reflection of the general situation.

When I look at the third party support for PS3, it seems to me to be very very strong. So much so that between that, and the exclusive stuff, I'd still be happy to recommend it as an 'only console', at least for those not seeking the more casual friendly experience of Wii.

botticus

gofreak said:
It doesn't exactly set a trend. There are third party games coming to PS3 that aren't coming to 360 either, but I wouldn't use them as a reflection of the general situation.

When I look at the third party support for PS3, it seems to me to be very very strong. So much so that between that, and the exclusive stuff, I'd still be happy to recommend it as an 'only console', at least for those not seeking the more casual friendly experience of Wii.
Are there any PS3/Wii games? That's the point about Prizefighter.

gofreak said:

But it wasn't announced as an exclusive the way a Haze or UTIII was. It was just left out from a line up of, I think, every other console including Wii.

GhaleonEB

gofreak said:

He didn't say trend. He said precedent, which it does. It could be the start of something, or it could be an aberration.

Top Bottom