• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official November 2007 NPD Preview Thread

Hunter D said:
The PS3 is done in the US Market if they come in 3rd this holiday.

I don't think anyone thinks that there's any way that won't happen but I don't see how that's Assured Death any more than just the way things have been going.

pickwick

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wii has its biggest month in a long time, possibly ever.

Matt[/I]

Obviously.

What was the biggest month for Wii ? 604 000 for decembre 06. Ninty has already said to have sold 350k during thanks giving and 300k the week before.

rs7k

Hunter D said:
The PS3 is done in the US Market if they come in 3rd this holiday.

It will come in third. It's the expectation. I don't agree that it's done unless it continues to sell 100k after Xmas. Once that appears obvious, it's game over PS3.

JavyOO7

Amir0x said:
why can't everyone just enjoy the PS3 for other reasons, 'cause it's always going to be a failure from a sales perspective. Better accept that now rather than later...

MGS4 is taking forever to come out...

Kafel

Banned
So does that mean it's still not next year that the majority of developers will switch their lead dev from 360 to PS3 ?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This shouldn't be surprising. Otherwise Sony would have happily released numbers long before.

apujanata

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just so it can be quoted:

DS obliterates everything. Wii next. 360 after that. PS3 outsold by every other system. However, numbers for all consoles have seen a significant boost, PS3 included.

Nothing even comes close to DS, and Wii has its biggest month in a long time, possibly ever.

Matt

Oh, my. I underestimate DS, AGAIN. :(

Soka said:
Anyone else get the feeling there's about to be a huge shitstorm here when the numbers are posted? GAFers will cry, laugh, mock and cheer for their various console. Arguments will begin, ban hammers will come crashing down, and at the end of the day, we'll still have the December-side of the holiday season to look forward to next month. :lol

Welcome Junior , that is the norm.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Amir0x said:
why can't everyone just enjoy the PS3 for other reasons, 'cause it's always going to be a failure from a sales perspective. Better accept that now rather than later...

Well I think the point is how long can it stay around if it's a failure from a sales perspective?

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes, I do get the feeling that NPD numbers are being released today and that GAF will respond as per usual.

;D
It's November. That makes NPD extra special this time of year.

Grecco

Amir0x said:

Wait till 08, Coiled Cobra, Tide is turning, MGS4, FF13 yadda yadda yadda.

Grecco said:
Harmonix/EA should be kicking themselves over missed potential sales on the Wii.

They could barely release on two consoles in three territories with pretty standardized peripherals. There's no Earthly way they could have pulled off a Wii release in time.

rs7k said:
It will come in third. It's the expectation. I don't agree that it's done unless it continues to sell 100k after Xmas. Once that appears obvious, it's game over PS3.

No-one seems to be able to put a month on when the PS3 will start to outsell 360. Factor in the fact that Sony have cut the price more already than MS,and you can see that when it does happen, MS will come back with a price drop.

Amir0x said:

CWB452.gif

laserbeam

Banned
omg rite said:
Well I think the point is how long can it stay around if it's a failure from a sales perspective?

Entire Generation. Gamecube was a failure from sales perspective and still had good games that due to poor sales never got the appreciation and accolades they deserve and lasted uptil the next gen

Grecco

BenjaminBirdie said:
They could barely release on two consoles in three territories with pretty standardized peripherals. There's no Earthly way they could have pulled off a Wii release in time.

They could have possibly released X360/Wii skus instead. Just a tiny thought. :p

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:
It's November. That makes NPD extra special this time of year.

Yeah. It is a damn shame too Matt C blurbs about the numbers ahead of time without giving out actual totals. Ruins the surprise.

Amir0x

Banned
omg rite said:

It can stay around for as long as any typical generation, just the same as Gamecube or Xbox could. And people enjoyed them plenty, and had plenty of games to make a case for their system of choice.

And at least in the case of PS3, not only is it extremely powerful, but it also has a factually superior online system to the winning console of this new generation, and many other features to be proud of. So I think it's in the best interest of Sony fans to accept the system as a sales failure, and get comfortable in the third place shoes. After all, third place doesn't mean bad system...

JavyOO7

Speaking of rock band, damn, I can't wait to play it. I'm going to play it next weekend at my friends' place! I'll be singing vocals for Wanted Dead or Alive. :D

I don't think Rock Band will come out for Wii though. Did'nt a producer or whoever is associated with Harmonix said that Rock Band was for next-gen consoles only or something like that.

chris0701

Kafel said:
So does that mean it's still not next year that the majority of developers will switch their lead dev from 360 to PS3 ?

To switch the lead dev from 360 to PS3...IMO it is not for mainstream or any commerical decision.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DAMN, I got a meeting for the next hour.

Enjoy the numbers, guys!

I believe they've exceeded everyone's expectations.

Arde5643

BenjaminBirdie said:
Doesn't really matter for us - for them, they've just lost Wii consumers who should've been brought in by the Rockband hype ( a very well deserved hype ).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
felipeko said:
From a Nintendo PR a couple of days ago we got the 1.6m number for DS in november.. So that's probably right...

I said 1.5 million. Everything I've been in a Gamestop, I've said nerdy cute girls by Zelda DS's

Remember how we were assured the PS2 install base would naturally move to the PS3 , was there ever talk of the DS install base moving naturally to the Wii ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
omg rite said:

The system is selling hundreds of thousands per month. It's not like you have to do PS2 numbers to have a place in the market.

I think some people need to get out of 'do or die' mode. No one is going anywhere.

felipeko

JavyOO7 said:
Speaking of rock band, damn, I can't wait to play it. I'm going to play it next weekend at my friends' place! I'll be singing vocals for Wanted Dead or Alive. :D

I don't think Rock Band will come out for Wii though. Did'nt a producer or whoever is associated with Harmonix said that Rock Band was for next-gen consoles only or something like that.
Isn't PS2 confirmed?

CrisKre

No. I think the word is that its comming out for wii next year.

Loudninja

gofreak said:
The system is selling hundreds of thousands per month. It's not like you have to do PS2 numbers to have a place in the market.

I think some people need to get out of 'do or die' mode. No one is going anywhere.

yeah I agree with you

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
Yeah. It is a damn shame too Matt C blurbs about the numbers ahead of time without giving out actual totals. Ruins the surprise.

You can basically guess the order, its the numbers that go with the order that makes it special.

Amir0x said:
It can stay around for as long as any typical generation, just the same as Gamecube or Xbox could. And people enjoyed them plenty, and had plenty of games to make a case for their system of choice.

And at least in the case of PS3, not only is it extremely powerful, but it also has a factually superior online system to the winning console of this new generation, and many other features to be proud of. So I think it's in the best interest of Sony fans to accept the system as a sales failure, and get comfortable in the third place shoes. After all, third place doesn't mean bad system...

So true Amir0x. What you said is a big reality.

ZeoVGM

Banned
gofreak said:

Er.. When your competition is as better as they are, yeah, you kinda do.

You really don't think developers will drop support if these are the sales numbers we see next year?

And at least in the case of PS3, not only is it extremely powerful, but it also has a factually superior online system to the winning console of this new generation

Having a superior online system to Wii isn't saying much. Heh.

laserbeam

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
When Matt says "every console", does that include GBA? That's the most important thing.

lol i thought that too. that would be hilarious. This Holiday is the final Holiday for GBA sales in North America so you never know

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I dont think he said console.

"PS3 outsold by every other system"

But i dont think he counted the GBA unless the GBA did extremly well.

Top Bottom