• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

Viva Pinata runs much smoother from the hard drive, it still stutters slightly now and then but overall it is a joy to play.

And I can now hear the whimsical music!

TheGreatDave said:
Has anybody tried playing Rock Band (1) and GH:WT? I need my songs to load quicker in both...

I don't know about rock band 1 but rock band 2 loads songs much quicker now. I haven't installed GH: WT yet because I barely even play it.

GitarooMan said:
I haven't tried this yet but I bet it won't work because I think it links the install to the specific console without any relation to XBL. Why MS feels the need to do this I don't exactly know.
But where could it store that info? Probably, in all gamertag profiles because it does detect your installation even if you are on different console (assuming you are connecting to live each time and your local profile is up to date). Definitely not on game disc because I highly doubt game discs are re-writable.

How would it know if game is installed somewhere unless both consoles are getting information from some common server which could be live servers.

MirageDwarf said:
But where could it store that info? Probably, in all gamertag profiles because it does detect your installation even if you are on different console (assuming you are connecting to live each time and your local profile is up to date). Definitely not on game disc because I highly doubt game discs are re-writable.

How would it know if game is installed somewhere unless both consoles are getting information from some common server which could be live servers.
I believe the console has storage on it outside the hard drive for things like console settings, although I could be wrong

EDIT: Forget what I said above what I actually think it does is tag the game install with a console id and when it doesn't match it flags it like the screen on the last page. So it doesn't matter if your connected or not.

DOA4 has some strange glitches while playing online. The music does not start when the round does, and if you win the round it takes about 20 seconds for your character to say their winning phrase. I would not install this if you want to play online.

Alone in the dark has about 5 or 6 seconds shaved off each load time. I will grab the install size when I get home.

Ledsen

squatingyeti said:
Yep, I can confirm with you that Fallout 3 seems to have an issue the first time you install, but an uninstall/reinstall fixes it. Tried on two different consoles.

Worked like a charm for me on first install.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Can you just delete the install and reinstall it later? Without any consequences?

I only have space for 1 game, gta4. But I think I'll delete it and install Tales of Vesperia when I want to play it. It really doesnt take that long, I can just watch tv.

Zzoram

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you just delete the install and reinstall it later? Without any consequences?

I only have space for 1 game, gta4. But I think I'll delete it and install Tales of Vesperia when I want to play it. It really doesnt take that long, I can just watch tv.

Yup, you can do that. It's only ~10minutes per full disc install. It took about 11 minutes for me to install Gears 2 (6.7GB) and Tales of Vesperia is only 5.8GB I believe, so it might be faster.

All this does make me wonder though, will consoles live so long that harddrives wear out? Does anyone know what brand of harddrive these are? I think Seagate has the best longevity, and Maxtor the worst. Nowadays, most harddrives got for 6+ years though.

Foil

NHL 08 = 5.4 GB

I kinda hope Microsoft phase out the 120GB and replace it with a bigger HDD. With how loud my older 360 drive is I plan on installing most of my games just to avoid the drive noise.

_Angelus_

Banned
How good are the load times for Sonc Unleashed? I'm out of space on my 20 gig drive and I really don't want to uninstall Tomb Raider UnderWorld at the moment. Unless Sonic installed has better load times than that game ofcourse.

Pachinko

Having installed and played some GTA4 I can say that 90% of the game runs smoother and obviously loads faster then before but it isn't without some small audio issues. These games were built to cache graphical data and stream textures and sometimes audio so generally speaking the game graphics and such occasionally render faster then the game engine streams in audio. The specific glitch I had involved driving a car around the city and there was 0 engine noise, all the other sound effects, even the voice acting continued to play but there was no engine "vroom" sound. I'd wager the trade off is similar for many games, it'll load faster , system will be WAY quieter but you may get the occasional glitch.

Ken Masters said:
How much better is Fallout 3 on the HD?

Traveling to different areas is faster, but other than that it's a marginal improvement. Compared to other games I've installed, Fallout doesn't really seem to benefit from it much.

ThomPayne

Well I've just gotten the dirty disc error while playing GoW2, looks like it's time to try out this whole install thing to see if it makes a difference.

ThomPayne said:
Well I've just gotten the dirty disc error while playing GoW2, looks like it's time to try out this whole install thing to see if it makes a difference.

same thing happened to me, I played Gears 2 entirely from the HD and the first time I play it without the HD I get the DD error. Looks like the safest thing to do is just install the games I play

Fireflu

Ken Masters said:
How much better is Fallout 3 on the HD?
tbh, ever since installing it i have encountered numerous frame rates drops here and there which is ridiculous, a key example of when the frame rate drops is entering rivett city market, if you just pan the camera around you will notice significant drops and i don't remember ever such things before the install, i shall uninstall and report on the changes!

takotchi

Am I the only person having trouble with GTA4? It is still completely unplayable when installed. If I drive around, I drive into nothingness, or if I'm lucky, the low-res version of the city that should normally only be seen from far away.

Also: Tomb Raider Underworld - 6.8GB. Seems a little faster-loading, but it wasn't really a problem in the first place. It is nice to have an almost instant reload after "AHHHH!" *crunch* for those tricky jumps, though.

edit: Doh! I just saw Wiggum's post. I wonder why we're having this issue. My console is a Falcon with the original 20GB drive, by the way.

Zzoram

You can update the OP to say Blue Dragon loads faster installed. Load to the Start screen was cut in half (4 seconds to 2 seconds). That's all I can confirm, I didn't test any further since I want to play with it installed.

How do you guys clear enough space for 2 installs at 6.8GB? I've just barely eeked out the space deleting all demos/videos/music and most DLC/save files, but I'm afraid that I'll actually not have enough room to make new save games :lol

painey

my 360 died so I had to get a new one.. I have to delete and reinstall ALL my games right? seems fucking idiotic..

TimeKillr

Warriors Orochi 1 is definitely faster on HDD - the load times are much shorter (I'd wager 2x as fast). I'll do tests as it's the game I'm currently playing.

It did bring up a VERY curious bug, however. When running off the HDD, the area names when starting up levels are in german. :)

It's funny to see "Burg <something>" when loading a level instead of "Castle <something>". No clue why it does that, but hey. The game works wonderfully anyway.

I have only a 12 GB HDD, So I can only keep 1 game installed. Tonight I play the non installed Fallout 3 and it was unplayable. I mean before the NXE there would be some issues but at this current time it is at least 3 times worse. I froze 5 times within 30 minutes, usually on load screens and in the middle of a hectic battle.

I uninstall LR and install Fallout; what do you know? The freezing is gone!

Same thing happened to me. I have a feeling that 3 or so GB left after installing the other game isn't enough for the caches to run properly for F3. So, I think we have to bite the bullet and buy a bigger HD. I installed Mass Effect (and it runs amazingly better) but it's making my silky-smooth Fallout unplayable. So yeah, I had the same thing happen.

FrankT

Wanted to come back to what I stated earlier on Fallout 3. Unlike that first night after install the tearing has crept back in now. Not sure what the difference is now, but yea still there although not sure if it is as consistent as it was before.

Wiggum2007

takotchi said:
Am I the only person having trouble with GTA4? It is still completely unplayable when installed. If I drive around, I drive into nothingness, or if I'm lucky, the low-res version of the city that should normally only be seen from far away.

edit: Doh! I just saw Wiggum's post. I wonder why we're having this issue. My console is a Falcon with the original 20GB drive, by the way.

Yeah I have a 20GB hard drive too... I tried doing the HDD cache clear and at first I thought it had fixed it and posted in the thread that it did... But then I played it for a few more minutes and the same problems crept up again :(

DeadGzuz

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Does Fable II have slow texture loading after install or has it always been like this? I can't remember. It's been a while.

I was having tons of stuttering, like every 30 secs it would drop to 5fps. I have not played it since the install, I was told clearing my cache would help. It seems kind of ridiculous to have to do anything, what's next defrag my HD?

Deezel

MotoGP 08 - 3.4Gb

Initial Load - 27 Sec (Disc)
18 Sec (HDD)

Main Menu to Career Race is about 8 secs quicker on the HDD.

No problems that i have noticed yet.

Psychotext said:
I might give GTA a try on my elite... just to see if I get the same issues.
Just tried it... runs pretty much flawlessly. I don't see any significant pop-up and I certainly didn't have bits of the road disappearing on me.

I had forgotten how ugly that paint filter was though. I'm going to have real trouble looking past that if I get the DLC. =/

Zzoram

So some games get problems when you install and need a cache clear to fix? Some games work better installed on a 120gb vs a 20gb?

ascully

Pachinko said:
Having installed and played some GTA4 I can say that 90% of the game runs smoother and obviously loads faster then before but it isn't without some small audio issues. These games were built to cache graphical data and stream textures and sometimes audio so generally speaking the game graphics and such occasionally render faster then the game engine streams in audio. The specific glitch I had involved driving a car around the city and there was 0 engine noise, all the other sound effects, even the voice acting continued to play but there was no engine "vroom" sound. I'd wager the trade off is similar for many games, it'll load faster , system will be WAY quieter but you may get the occasional glitch.

I have had that no engine noise glitch playing from disc actually when it came out.

takotchi said:

Also: Tomb Raider Underworld - 6.8GB. Seems a little faster-loading, but it wasn't really a problem in the first place. It is nice to have an almost instant reload after "AHHHH!" *crunch* for those tricky jumps, though.

Can it be because your hdd is heavily fragmented? Although i'm not sure how to defragment xbox360 hdd :) Just deleting the cache won't defragment entire hdd afaiu.

pr0cs

Speevy said:
Fable 2's was a dramatic improvement.
It's a lot better but still too much loading for my liking. Thankfully the game is a lot of fun so it's easy to overlook it.

UraMallas

Any info on The Last Remnant install? I looked at the OP and it isn't there and I don't want to go through the official thread for fear of spoilers...

Zzoram

UraMallas said:
Any info on The Last Remnant install? I looked at the OP and it isn't there and I don't want to go through the official thread for fear of spoilers...

The reason for it's really low reviews is that the game apparently runs like ass until you install, and that's unacceptible when Arcade is the leading SKU this holiday.

Install, and it'll be adequate.

Top Bottom