• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Zzoram said:
The OP already started that by listing some games with load time reductions. We need it to keep getting updated though, and note all the games that stuffer from it as well.
It's a headache to do it, though. As soon as I got Lips, first thing I did was install it. Otherwise, I would have done decreases in load times etc, but now I can't be arsed.

FrankT

FoeHammer said:
I posted this in the main thread, but I'll put it here as well for those who are interested:

I installed Mass Effect and the difference to me was night and day. Before, Mass Effect would have disc read issues almost constantly and sound like a space ship taking off. Now, the game is much smoother than before and I can actually hear what's going on. The pop in seems to have been reduced somewhat as well, and overall the differences are enough that I'm going to have to pick up a 120 GB drive. RPG installs will be a must.

Aye, that was the one other game I wanted to test out yesterday. The fact that it is whisper quiet now is just so good. It has to be one of the top 3 loudest games I've played on the console.

The installs sound like a good excuse to revisit Mass Effect.

I'm probably going to try CivRev tonight, see if it helps cut down on the menu stuttering and chugginess with the endgame battles.

pr0cs

soldat7 said:
Gears 2 seems to stutter a bit more when installed.
I didn't notice this at all. The game doesn't stream in a whole lot faster but when doing coop last night with someone who didn't have the game installed I regularly had to "wait" (press RT to begin) for them to catch up.
Gears2 doesn't seem to benefit a ton but since I'll be playing the game a lot over the next while it's still worth keeping it installed.

FoeHammer

Jtyettis said:
Aye, that was the one other game I wanted to test out yesterday. The fact that it is whisper quiet now is just so good. It has to be one of the top 3 loudest games I've played on the console.

No doubt, it was by far the loudest game I've played on the 360.

Not only is the noise gone, but the game runs a lot smoother to me. I put over 100 hours into the game over several playthroughs and wanted to continue but the disc read errors were becoming way too frequent. Now, I can go back to it without having to worry about any of that.

Banned
soldat7 said:
Gears 2 seems to stutter a bit more when installed.
Ah, I did wonder if that was the cause. I've only been playing it off the hard drive since I got it, and was disappointed with how badly it was running. (stuttering, tearing and massive framedrops)

3rdman

Picking up a used 120GB from a friend who gets a discount at his store...Cost: $85.00.

:)

All I need now is the transfer cable.

Posted this in the launch thread and wanted to repost it here. It may have been mentioned but I think its a pretty big problem

me said:
Allright, here's something that may have come up but really, really sucks:

I own 2 360s (one upstairs and downstairs). I use one hard drive between them, swapping back and forth. Lo and behold, the install game feature only works on the console you first install the game on. This is not like trying to play the game without the disc. I have the disc and have the game installed on the hard drive, but it only works on one console. This is fucking stupidly retarded.

PLEASE FIX THIS STUPIDITY MICROSOFT.

GitarooMan said:
Posted this in the launch thread and wanted to repost it here. It may have been mentioned but I think its a pretty big problem
Originally Posted by me:
Allright, here's something that may have come up but really, really sucks:

I own 2 360s (one upstairs and downstairs). I use one hard drive between them, swapping back and forth. Lo and behold, the install game feature only works on the console you first install the game on. This is not like trying to play the game without the disc. I have the disc and have the game installed on the hard drive, but it only works on one console. This is fucking stupidly retarded.

PLEASE FIX THIS STUPIDITY MICROSOFT.

Hmm...have you tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling on the other console? If it still doesn't work after that, then this really sucks. Especially 'cause I just sold my 360 since I'll be moving out of the country next week (it'll be too much of a hassle to bring with me). I plan on re-buying a 360, but I installed a few games on the one I just sold.

y2kenjination said:
Hmm...have you tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling on the other console? If it still doesn't work after that, then this really sucks. Especially 'cause I just sold my 360 since I'll be moving out of the country next week (it'll be too much of a hassle to bring with me). I plan on re-buying a 360, but I installed a few games on the one I just sold.
That works, so you shouldn't have a problem, but its extraordinarily annoying when I'm constantly playing games on both systems. Basically at this point I've got the pick the system I play a game on most and install it on that while it plays off the disc on the other. I just don't get why they tie the install to a specific console and make you uninstall and reinstall every time you want to play off the HD on a different console.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
In the Xbox Guide, the games are treated as downloads. Maybe you have to be connected online too? Were you on XBL on the 2nd console?

If so, that's pretty stupid. Seems like an unnecessary safety precaution. I guess just in case the disc checks get cracked.

borsdy

Banned
I never timed either ways but Burnout Paradise feels like an extra minute longer when installed, maybe just short of two minutes. Think this belongs w/ Halo 3 for games to not run off the HDD.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
borsdy said:
I never timed either ways but Burnout Paradise feels like an extra minute longer when installed, maybe just short of two minutes. Think this belongs w/ Halo 3 for games to not run off the HDD.

Makes sense. I think I'll delete it off my HDD. No biggie, this game doesnt really have load times to begin with anyway except the initial start up

borsdy said:
I never timed either ways but Burnout Paradise feels like an extra minute longer when installed, maybe just short of two minutes.
Initial load is 28 secs on HDD, 36 secs from DVD.

(Not tested that myself)

Zzoram

Installing Gears 2 causes:

Faster loading
Stuttering at "saving game" checkpoints

It's not a big deal either way.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Zzoram said:
Installing Gears 2 causes:

Faster loading
Stuttering at "saving game" checkpoints

It's not a big deal either way.

Yeah, noticed the slight stuttering myself during checkpoints, but I can't say I really noticed any loading moments being much quicker.

Wario64 said:
In the Xbox Guide, the games are treated as downloads. Maybe you have to be connected online too? Were you on XBL on the 2nd console?

If so, that's pretty stupid. Seems like an unnecessary safety precaution. I guess just in case the disc checks get cracked.
Yeah, I was online. Like you say, probably just a stupid extra security precaution for cracked disc checks but highly annoying. Here's the screen
2aes67t.jpg

Sectus

Did a very short test with Tomb Raider Underworld. Initial load (after clicking on start new game) was around 35 seconds with DVD. And around 25 seconds after install. It was a very quick and rough test so might not be too reliable.

Would be neat if someone were to make a more extensive test with many games to see how the improvements are for various games. I'd do it myself but I'm lazy :p

Sanjuro

I said this before but I think Microsoft should work out some kind of no-cd system. Such as including a redeemable code along with the game that allows that gamertag while online to play that game straight from the hard drive.

Sectus

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I said this before but I think Microsoft should work out some kind of no-cd system. Such as including a redeemable code along with the game that allows that gamertag while online to play that game straight from the hard drive.
Yes yes yes yes yes. This combined with the new quick launch function would be heaven.

Perhaps they could have a system where the console has to check for a valid disc once a week or something.

Probably already mentioned but Mirror's edge gets a TON less loading with an install.I can do a speedrun of level 1 with faster elevators (door's open immediatle after the advertisement), and none of the NOW LOADING pauses mid level. In fact I have only gotten 1 loading pause mid-level since install, it was on Chapter 4 I think.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I noticed a weird graphical error in Fallout 3 when the game was installed. I first thought the video was going to go out, but then I installed on a different box and the same thing happened. After uninstalling and playing from DVD, it's fine.

Anyway, the problem was weird color issues wherever it was dark. If it was light, no issues. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone else experienced a crazy graphics glitch at
the Museum of History where to talk to a ghoul named Willow
. I can look at the building from the street, but as I walk towards it, black, green, and purple matrix throwup comes up on the screen and I can't see anything but that unless I walk towards it backwards. This is the one and only place/game I've seen this happen so I know it can't be my 360. I'm going to uninstall the game and see if that fixes it since there are posts about weird shit happening with it installed and report back.

Update: Yep, it was the installing as it's fine now reading from the disk. How disappointing...
I'll try to re-install the game and see if it was just a bad go at it installing it the first time.

Update: Reinstalling fixed the issue. Hooray.

I don't have two consoles so if somebody wants to give this a try...

Do not sign-in on XBL when you install the game on both console.

h3ro

YuriLowell said:
Infinite Undiscovery has some problems with audio while installed. None of the VA comes out on cutscenes.

Lots of the cutscenes in IU don't have voice work. They seem like they should, as the text appears as subtitles, but it was clarified back when the game launched that only certain cinemas have voice work recorded for them...

navi001

Neo Member
h3ro said:
Lots of the cutscenes in IU don't have voice work. They seem like they should, as the text appears as subtitles, but it was clarified back when the game launched that only certain cinemas have voice work recorded for them...

Most of the cinemas have voice. A few in the start don't. by the second disk 90% do.

h3ro said:
Haha. I remember that. I thought something is wrong with my console. Even ejected the disc and restarted my console couple of times. :lol

Wiggum2007

GTA IV is almost unplayable installed off the HDD... The pop-in is horrendous, if you get driving at more than a moderately fast speed the game can't keep up with you and everything turns into a blurry mess, and sometimes parts of the world or road you're on will completely disappear. If I stop and wait for the textures to load it can take 10-20 seconds. I even uninstalled it, played off the disk for a bit, and reinstalled it just to see if there was an error installing the first time, but nope, same problem.

Chinner

Banned
Wiggum2007 said:
GTA IV is almost unplayable installed off the HDD... The pop-in is horrendous, if you get driving at more than a moderately fast speed the game can't keep up with you and everything turns into a blurry mess, and sometimes parts of the world or road you're on will completely disappear. If I stop and wait for the textures to load it can take 10-20 seconds. I even uninstalled it, played off the disk for a bit, and reinstalled it just to see if there was an error installing the first time, but nope, same problem.
isnt this like the opposite of whats been said by other people?

MirageDwarf said:
I don't have two consoles so if somebody wants to give this a try...

Do not sign-in on XBL when you install the game on both console.
I haven't tried this yet but I bet it won't work because I think it links the install to the specific console without any relation to XBL. Why MS feels the need to do this I don't exactly know.

Wiggum2007

Chinner said:
isnt this like the opposite of whats been said by other people?

Couldn't say, haven't been keeping up with this thread but all I've heard on it is that the initial load time is faster, and I saw a post on another board complaining about the same problem... but if other people are saying it runs better off the HDD maybe there's still hope for me to fix it somehow.

Stitch said:
maybe you have to delete the cache before playing it from the HDD

This is the X X LB RB X X cache clear thing right? I'll have to give that a try.

Sean

Banned
bishopcruz said:
Probably already mentioned but Mirror's edge gets a TON less loading with an install.I can do a speedrun of level 1 with faster elevators (door's open immediatle after the advertisement), and none of the NOW LOADING pauses mid level. In fact I have only gotten 1 loading pause mid-level since install, it was on Chapter 4 I think.

That's good to hear, already beat the game but still have a few speedruns left to do and it was kinda annoying to have those happen 2 or 3 times per ~6 min stage.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Since the NXE, I have frantically been playing my installed Last Remnant disc 1. The game has no problems.

I have only a 12 GB HDD, So I can only keep 1 game installed. Tonight I play the non installed Fallout 3 and it was unplayable. I mean before the NXE there would be some issues but at this current time it is at least 3 times worse. I froze 5 times within 30 minutes, usually on load screens and in the middle of a hectic battle.

I uninstall LR and install Fallout; what do you know? The freezing is gone!

Furthermore, I also played another non-installed - Fifa 09. I would lag horribly in some menus and when I would get bombarded with defenders, the game would slow. If I install, the game will play like it originally did before the NXE.

I seriously hate to rant about this, but my only option would be to buy a 120 GB hardrive; or try playing these games without the ethernet cord plugged in. (that way the guide isn't as hectic)

Suggestions/Opinions/Experiences?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
got2bekidding said:
Anyone else experienced a crazy graphics glitch at
the Museum of History where to talk to a ghoul named Willow
. I can look at the building from the street, but as I walk towards it, black, green, and purple matrix throwup comes up on the screen and I can't see anything but that unless I walk towards it backwards. This is the one and only place/game I've seen this happen so I know it can't be my 360. I'm going to uninstall the game and see if that fixes it since there are posts about weird shit happening with it installed and report back.

Update: Yep, it was the installing as it's fine now reading from the disk. How disappointing...
I'll try to re-install the game and see if it was just a bad go at it installing it the first time.

Update: Reinstalling fixed the issue. Hooray.

Yep, I can confirm with you that Fallout 3 seems to have an issue the first time you install, but an uninstall/reinstall fixes it. Tried on two different consoles.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I talked to a friend about this but it seems since I installed Gears 2, everything is loading slower. I played co op the other night and it must've taken double the time it normally does. Honestly, I know the point is to strain the drive less but I think I will just play this one off the disc. Left 4 Dead seems to be nicer though.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I talked to a friend about this but it seems since I installed Gears 2, everything is loading slower. I played co op the other night and it must've taken double the time it normally does. Honestly, I know the point is to strain the drive less but I think I will just play this one off the disc. Left 4 Dead seems to be nicer though.
Doesn't seem to gel with the EG tests: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=290745

But it would be nice to see other people's impressions on this.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Psychotext said:
Doesn't seem to gel with the EG tests: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=290745

But it would be nice to see other people's impressions on this.
THe more I think about it, the more I think it may have been a server issue. I don't really know if the game does that bu it took a bit just to get into the game. And I did notice the frame dips at checkpoint now that I read this thread mode. Either way I think I'll just stick to the disc for this one.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Online coop? Did the other player had it installed? Because for me it loads a lot faster.

Wiggum2007

Stitch said:
maybe you have to delete the cache before playing it from the HDD

Holy crap this worked perfectly, thank you! Just out of curiosity, anyone know why clearing the cache like that would fix this problem?

i noticed fallout 3 loads faster but stutters once in awhile, im not sure if that's the case playing from dvd because i never tried.

I'd say that the game stutters because it's loading areas of the game while trying to auto save, reading and writing to the HDD at the same time. Same as the problem you get installing halo 3 and playing multiplayer.

UraMallas

Noob question but how do you delete the cache? I've done it but can't remember, do you hold B during start-up or something like that? Also, it is game specific right, you don't wipe all game caches, right?

Top Bottom