• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Tales of Vesperia loads like it runs off of a cartridge at times.

Seriously ....it's fucking insane. I can only imagine Infinite Undiscovery. Say what you will about the game itself, but Tri-Ace has a great engine

gdt

gdt5016 said:
Im going on a shopping spree soon and buying every big game since (and including) GTA IV, so the only game i'm really playing right now is COD 4 online. Any difference?

Bottom of the page sucks.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Duck said:
You can sell the transfer cable for $40 and the 20GB HDD for $20-30 on eBay. $65 total for the 120GB HDD isn't too bad.
I agree. I have a 60GB. I may just see if I can make do with that.

Duck said:
You can sell the transfer cable for $40 and the 20GB HDD for $20-30 on eBay. $65 total for the 120GB HDD isn't too bad.

It's really tempting but when I realize I still need the disc and only play one or two games at a time, it's not worth it.

It all comes down to your playing style so if you're thinking about it, consider how you play first.

_Angelus_

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
It's really tempting but when I realize I still need the disc and only play one or two games at a time, it's not worth it.

It all comes down to your playing style so if you're thinking about it, consider how you play first.

I'm in the same boat. I rent two games from GameFly each time and I can barely keep my head above water with that as it is,thats just enough space on the hard drive then. Though I still have to delete a few more demos to fit Tomb Raider when it arrives ina fewdays.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
So all this does is speed up loading times? Wish you didn't have to have the disc in all the time :/

Clockwork

vumpler said:
So all this does is speed up loading times? Wish you didn't have to have the disc in all the time :/

You have to keep the game in the drive to play.

It verifies at startup and if no disc is loaded it tells you to.

EDIT: Damn you and your stealth edit! :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I guess I will uninstall COD 4 from my 20ghd and install GTA 4 instead lol.

-

This topic should be stickied imo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PGR4 update: I put the game in and got a title update today. I tried playing off the HDD and there are no sound glitches that I can tell.

Has anyone else tested PGR4 today on the NXE? Anyone else get the title update?

Kaijima said:
PGR4 update: I put the game in and got a title update today. I tried playing off the HDD and there are no sound glitches that I can tell.

I'd be really surprised by that given Bizarre don't really exist in their old form any more... but kudos to them if they did get an update out. I'd try it, but it's been so long since I played it that it would have cleared out the old update anyway.

skyfinch

Kaijima said:

That was the first game I installed. No sound glitches that I can hear. Don't remember needing an update though.

borsdy

Banned
Kaijima said:

Would like someone to confirm this one.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The Darkness loads noticeably faster. I didn't do any comparisons but it feels a lot quicker travelling between areas.

JB1981

Best feature ever put on 360 with the absolute worst implementation. I ain't shelling out for a 120gb hdd, no matter how awesome I think the feature is.

Installing Dark Messiah: Might and Magic seems to fix the music cutting out issue. It loads a little faster too. It takes 6.1 GB to install it. For me and the three people that own the game it's good news.

C Jones

Madden 09 is 6.7 gigs. I only got to play in practice mode so far, but it was nice practicing my plays without my 360 making horrible noises. The load times seem faster but I didn't time them or anything to compare them to the old ones. If I notice any significant changes after jumping in my dynasty I'll post back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nobody else has stepped up to do it so I will. That's right, I've just tested the game with the single longest load times on the XBOX360: Sonic the Hedgehog.

The result? They are still long as hell BUT slightly more tolerable. Don't get me wrong, Aristo's Challenge will still test the limits of ones sanity, but things do move a tad quicker.

I'd estimate that the game loads about 15-20% faster. Not great, but still interesting.

Man, this game is such a piece of shit, though. I mean, I managed to find SOME enjoyment in the game back in 2006 (barely), but holy shit, it is seriously one of the least polished games I've ever played. It feels like some sort of leaked alpha or something.

Oreoleo

C Jones said:
Madden 09 is 6.7 gigs. I only got to play in practice mode so far, but it was nice practicing my plays without my 360 making horrible noises. The load times seem faster but I didn't time them or anything to compare them to the old ones. If I notice any significant changes after jumping in my dynasty I'll post back.

Best thing about installing Madden is the game doesn't hitch anymore when going in or coming out of an instant replay. That was the worst thing about the game and now it's completely alleviated. NXE +1

Installed Gears 2 and Banjo so far.

Will get onto Mass Effect and Dead Space soon. Haven't played them yet though, too late last night when I got the update.

Then was playing Original Banjo Kazooie for an hour or so. So many memories came flooding back.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So....what exactly determines the size installed? I figured I could install that XBLA Arcade disc and it would take up about 250MB, but nope (according to OP), it's 6+ GB.

Oreoleo

alr1ghtstart said:
So....what exactly determines the size installed? I figured I could install that XBLA Arcade disc and it would take up about 250MB, but nope (according to OP), it's 6+ GB.

I read somewhere that there's a huge FMV on the disk that takes up like 2GB. Where the other ~3 gigs are coming from I don't know.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's such a relief that now I can play my games without fearing DRE's... That's by far the best thing about the whole NXE for me. My disc drive was on its way out, but now its use will be reduced to a minimum. Plus, it's finally quiet. Installs = awesome infinity

TChirath

Neo Member
Just installed Dead Space. I was hoping that the install would get rid of that small delay when opening doors, but it's still there :( The install only shortens the initial load time and the load time when accessing save stations.. not worth it in my opinion.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I played some Bioshock off of my HD today, and let me say, I think I'm going to start using my 360 a whole lot more now. Honestly, the difference in volume is wonderfully awesome. It doesn't bother me near as much as it used to without the DVD sawing away in the corner. I'm so happy with this update, and I feel like my 360 is going to last a lot longer now without all of the DVD use and head generated. Way to go MicroSoft. Now I just need a reasonably priced HD. :(

No_Style

We installed NBA LIVE 09, but now we're getting stutters inbetween baskets. Sadness since this game gave the occassional DRE. :(

Oreoleo

TChirath said:
Just installed Dead Space. I was hoping that the install would get rid of that small delay when opening doors, but it's still there :( The install only shortens the initial load time and the load time when accessing save stations.. not worth it in my opinion.

Yeah the consensus seems to be that loading screen load times will be reduced, but mid-level streaming is more or less the same as it has been.

One question I've not seen answered... and it may take a dev to answer. Can you detect if your game is being run from the HDD or the DVD? I'd guess they'd add it to the SDK at some point, but I have no idea if it's in there now.

Johnkers

Since I'm only running a 20gb I'm only installing Gears 2 for now, not sure if it will be worth it though. Going to definitely install disc 4 of Lost Odyssey to finish that game off though! Shorter battle load times are very welcoming

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Diablos said:
I'm stuck with a fuckin' 20GB. :mad:

I managed to fit Mirror's Edge & GeOW2 on mine, along with 6-7 Arcade games. No way am I going to spend upwards of $100 on anything under 250GB.

EmSeta

I've heard you can "hack" a regular hard drive and use it instead of the official one.

Is this difficult and/or risky?

p3tran

Banned
Kaijima said:

borsdy said:
Would like someone to confirm this one.

confirmed!

installed PGR4 to hdd and no sound problems at all.
I tested on behemoth both race & replay

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EmSeta said:
I've heard you can "hack" a regular hard drive and use it instead of the official one.

Is this difficult and/or risky?

I havent done it but the instructions dont seem that difficult. But of course, there's always a risk of getting banned or getting your gamerscore reset to 0. I'm not sure if that's true but there's always gonna be some sort of risk

I guess I'll be installing PGR4, yay

Diablos

alr1ghtstart said:
I managed to fit Mirror's Edge & GeOW2 on mine, along with 6-7 Arcade games. No way am I going to spend upwards of $100 on anything under 250GB.
Precisely. I can't believe how outrageous the prices for both 60 and 120GB are. It's 2008, Microsoft. I guess we could expect no less from a company that also wants $10 for a gamertag change, though.

I might take a chance and try to snag one off of ebay someday. They have some 60GB ones for around $70.

If people want to save space don't install Gears 2. Gears 2 is already optimized for loading very well. If your main concern is dvd drive noise, installing would make sense.

Diablos said:
Precisely. I can't believe how outrageous the prices for both 60 and 120GB are. It's 2008, Microsoft. I guess we could expect no less from a company that also wants $10 for a gamertag change, though.

I might take a chance and try to snag one off of ebay someday. They have some 60GB ones for around $70.

I totally agree that HDD prices are atrocious. But if you are okay with spending around $70 for 60GB, better option would be to search for that 120 GB deal.

Vicious

Just bought a 120GB HD at Target for $89.99. Last one they had.

Pretty funny seeing a 120GB drive for $90 sitting next to the 60GB drives for $100.

Top Bottom