• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oled and HDR. LG c1 or Samsung qn90a

Which tv

• C1

Votes: 110 83.3%
  • Qn90a

Votes: 22 16.7%

• Total voters
Looking to upgrade my ks8000 which is showing its age.

I have been looking at oled and the c1 seems to come out as a good choice.
But after doing some research it seems oleds are bad for HDR and just can't get bright.

Whereas the qn90a is great for HDR. So just how important is HDR because on the ks8000 it isn't exactly great.

Ulysses 31

I'm a bit of a Samsung fanboy so I'd say the qn90a(provided the panel doesn't have too much DSE).

But if you're in a dark room and vary your content enough, the C1 might be the better choice.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
How Dare You Greta GIF

DF will be upset you did not include CRT.

OLED is amazing but peak brightness is ok for HDR, in a black room it shines. Peak brightness is definitely preference some say it's to bright some say not enough. HDTV has mentioned it lacks enough brightness for HDR

The Qn90 is great but issues with dirty screen effect and 1 2.1 hdmi. That panel lottery is real.

I personally would pick OLED for a dark room, but for normal living area QN but considering 1 2.1 port is a downer, unless connected to a 2.1 receiver then I'd jump on it.

OLEDS are not "bad for HDR". They don't get as bright as an LCD but they get bright enough, black levels are perfect and for gaming they're the best for their much faster pixel response as compared to LCD

Only issue I have with my CX is that game mode is too aggressively dimmed. But I just run a standard video mode and enable PC mode concurrently to minimise lag. Idk if C1 has the same issue or not.

Rival

Gold Member
I’m a huge fan of oled and if you watch in a dark room typically I think you’ll find it’s great. I have a 48”cx as my pc monitor and a Sony a80j in my bedroom. Both are fantastic and get plenty bright but both are in dark rooms. Some of these TVs these days can almost get too bright. My friend has the qn90a and a dark room and it gets so bright it literally hurts my eyes sometimes.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
QN90A is best for bright rooms - C1 is best for dark rooms. Remember it's really bad for your eyes to game in a dark room for longer sessions (over 2 hours). For an OLED in a dark room you can add backlight like Philips Hue or other brand - just make sure it's bright enough.

Last edited:
OLEDS are not "bad for HDR". They don't get as bright as an LCD but they get bright enough, black levels are perfect and for gaming they're the best for their much faster pixel response as compared to LCD

Only issue I have with my CX is that game mode is too aggressively dimmed. But I just run a standard video mode and enable PC mode concurrently to minimise lag. Idk if C1 has the same issue or not.
So what's the deal with HDR I remember last gen it was sold as a game changer. Does it really make that much of a difference and if I ignore the oled and go qled am I getting something better because of brighter HDR.

I saw lg cx at a friend's house and the brightness is really underwhelming tbh compared to what high end samsung tvs like qn90 offers ,
Hdr to hdr the difference is huge

Last edited:

Fbh

They are both good.
Almost went with a QN90 myself (for the higher brightness and no risk of burn in) but then I learned Samsung sells a gimped model with a different panel in my country so I went with the C1. So far I'm really happy with it, the contrast and image quality is great and HDR content looks fantastic on it.

Overall though I agree with what people have said. Samsung if you'll be using it in a bright room during the day, LG if you are using it in a darker room or mostly at night.

Ulysses 31

Overall though I agree with what people have said. Samsung if you'll be using it in a bright room during the day, LG if you are using it in a darker room or mostly at night.
Samsung has a setting that adjusts brightness according to the brightness of the room in ECO settings. :lollipop_sunglasses:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For HDR QN90a wins, OLED just doesn't get bright enough
Oled might be "only" 800 nits but it's blazing bright exiting a cave in uncharted 4 playing at night.
I would just advise playing any game with window shades or just at night.
That contrast is everything + OLED has better response times, pixel local dimming and so on

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oled might be "only" 800 nits but it's blazing bright exiting a cave in uncharted 4 playing at night.
I would just advise playing any game with window shades or just at night.
That contrast is everything + OLED has better response times, pixel local dimming and so on
If you are in a dark room OLED looks great

Most of my gaming time is spent during the day in a very brightly lit room and the QN90a powers through that so in turn it trumps OLED's other advantages

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
QN90A is best for bright rooms - C1 is best for dark rooms. Remember it's really bad for your eyes to game in a dark room for longer sessions (over 2 hours). For an OLED in a dark room you can add backlight like Philips Hue or other brand - just make sure it's bright enough.
bright room viewing is a blasphemy. Lcd or oled.
You loose a hell lot of contrast this way.
Playing at perfect dark is not good for you only because your mother said so.
I just put on a light in the corner because it's more comfortable.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 Close the shades? If you have to power through the bright room, you are ruining your contrast and you set up your life all wrong :p :p :p

Fbh

Samsung has a setting that adjusts brightness according to the brightness of the room in ECO settings. :lollipop_sunglasses:

Most TV's have that.
I'm not saying the Samsung will be bad in a dark room, just that the general consensus seems to be that the OLED has superior image with the downside of being dimmer. So if you are mostly going to play in a dark room go with OLED.
But that's based on reviews and online discussions. Personally I've never seen both TV's side by side in the same room (well except in retail but that's a super bright environment and they usually have them set to the horrible vivid mode).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
bright room viewing is a blasphemy. Lcd or oled.
You loose a hell lot of contrast this way.
I just put on a light in the corner because it's more comfortable.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 Close the shades? If you have to power through the bright room, you are ruining your contrast and you set up your life all wrong :p :p :p
No doubt my room ruins proper gaming conditions but I will give that up to maintain my view :)

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It's totally fine for short periods of time. But your eyes get tired a lot quicker if your screen is more bright than the room you're sitting in - plus it's hard to fall asleep if you've looked into a screen for more than 2 hours in a dark room. Try closing your eyes after gaming in a dark room - you see that "light" behind your eyelids - that takes some time to go away, depending on how long you stressed your eyes.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's totally fine for short periods of time. But your eyes get tired a lot quicker if your screen is more bright than the room you're sitting in - plus it's hard to fall asleep if you've looked into a screen for more than 2 hours in a dark room. Try closing your eyes after gaming in a dark room - you see that "light" behind your eyelids - that takes some time to go away, depending on how long you stressed your eyes.
There is some truth to that.
I have my tv set to "warm50" preset. Slightly warm is more comfortable on the eyes

8BiTw0LF

Banned
There is some truth to that.
I have my tv set to "warm50" preset. Slightly warm is more comfortable on the eyes
I have the "same" setting on my phone. So I don't blast my eyes away when browsing or watching stuff at night :)

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I think QN90A still only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port, the QN90B has 4.

Maybe something to keep in mind or buy a hdmi 2.1 splitter

iu

Brock2621

I think QN90A still only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port, the QN90B has 4.

Maybe something to keep in mind or buy a hdmi 2.1 splitter

iu

I actually have two of these daisy chained and have my PC, Xbox Series X, PS5, Apple TV & Nintendo Switch OLED all hooked up to my LG 65 C1 and it's splendid. Full 120hz 2.1 passthrough

guide3tri.png

4WYEy7B.jpg
JSIDFnf.jpg
t2tNj76.jpg

Last edited:

recursive

For HDR QN90a wins, OLED just doesn't get bright enough
Brightness is not the only factor for HDR quality.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Brightness is not the only factor for HDR quality.

Its an argument that really has no winners as I love my C9 and tested a C1 in my house for quite sometime

But my QN90a just pops and FOR ME perfect blacks are great on an OLED but in a near perfect setting which I don't have

Whitecrow

Banned
I wouldnt pick a TV for the HDR capabilities.

HDR is meant to be viewed in a reference enviroment, aka dark room, because brightness is absolute and not relative like in SDR, and the more lit is your environment, the more you will need the mess with the hdr settings.

Like for example, setting the pure black to more than 0 nits in order to see shit in dark areas, hence losing a bit of the hdr purpose.

Add to that that in most games, HDR look actually worse than SDR, because color brightness might be all over the place, in comparison to the better crafted SDR.

Also, Samsung is known to have oversaturated colors to make the image pop more than it should.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

HDR is meant to be viewed in a reference enviroment, aka dark room, because brightness is absolute and not relative like in SDR, and the more lit is your environment, the more you will need the mess with the hdr settings.

Like for example, setting the pure black to more than 0 nits in order to see shit in dark areas, hence losing a bit of the hdr purpose.

Add to that that in most games, HDR look actually worse than SDR, because color brightness might be all over the place, in comparison to the better crafted SDR.

Also, Samsung is known to have oversaturated colors to make the image pop more than it should.
you make it sound way more complicated or worse than it is.
I've not seen a game with hdr worse looking than sdr

Swift_Star

Banned

That’s not true at all. I’ve never messed with the HDR settings.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Awful advice. HDR is a breathtaking experience.

OP get the C1. Its better in every way. The contrast and deep blacks will easily make up for an lack of brightness.

Whitecrow

Banned
you make it sound way more complicated or worse than it is.
I've not seen a game with hdr worse looking than sdr
Change good for accurate. Ive seen plenty of them. Im past the more pop = better point. You can ramp up backlight and contrast in sdr and everything pops too and the difference with hdr will not be that stark in the end.

What I mean is that in sdr, you see exactly what devs want you to see, and in that sense the image have more cohesion, its a controlled environment.

HDR usually is not. It just cranks light up to the max, and let it be whatever the display can di

That’s not true at all. I’ve never messed with the HDR settings.
But thats true tho. Thats the reason hgig configuration on consoles lets you choose minimum tone map luminance.

Chronicle

If it's an lcd TV (minus full array backlighting) it will suffer from light bleed/clouding. It will never be fully black. That's why lcd always loses in my book.

Swift_Star

Banned
Awful advice. HDR is a breathtaking experience.

OP get the C1. Its better in every way. The contrast and deep blacks will easily make up for an lack of brightness.
Sutters on low framerate content... "every way" it's a stretch. There's no perfect TV.
Both sets have advantages and disadvantages.
OP should do some research, study the pros and cons and then make a choice based on what suits him best.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sutters on low framerate content... "every way" it's a stretch. There's no perfect TV.
Both sets have advantages and disadvantages.
OP should do some research, study the pros and cons and then make a choice based on what suits him best.

low framerate content looks like shit on any modern display. good solution i've found is to not play anything that's 30 fps.

Swift_Star

Banned
low framerate content looks like shit on any modern display. good solution i've found is to not play anything that's 30 fps.
Nah. Movies don’t stutter on QN90A, nor does TV shows.
It’s said they stutter on OLED, though.
But that’s not the point, the point is that there’s no perfect tv and OP should do some research instead of listening to hyperbole and then make a decision.
Either way, he’ll be well served because both TVs are excellent.

Top Bottom