• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

One Punch Man vs Marvel and DC

CYakPq1WwAIdK9w.jpg:large

You know how much I'd pay to see that movie with OPMs tone and Marvel budget and prod values?

Because, I'd pay like, one IMax ticket worth. Maybe with popcorn if I was getting wild. Shit's expensive.

Chariot

I honestly wouldn't recommend Gintama to newer/casual anime fans. So many references would go completely over their head.
Plus there is a a ton of stuff before it get's "good". But on the other hand, you can throw people in very different positions to start. A friend got me with the toilet battle episode. I didn't need context, all I needed was four dudes trying to end a shit without toiletpaper somehow in an intense battle of psychological warfare. Others might start with the first serious arc.
I couldn't get into the first episode and stopped. Any particular episode that would be a better starting point?
Maybe episode 58? It's the first serious arc. But you shouldn't start with episode 1 anyway. Episode 40 if you want to start with something a lot less serious, but still with some story.

Moaradin

I couldn't get into the first episode and stopped. Any particular episode that would be a better starting point?

The first episode is filler and probably one of the worst episodes in the entire series. You should just skip that one. Watch up to episode 25 and see how you like it by then.

I honestly wouldn't recommend Gintama to newer/casual anime fans. So many references would go completely over their head.

Well the list itself states to not watch it unless you've watched more anime. But I'd specifically say more shonen action since it tends to make fun and reference those, outside of its heavy use of japanese-tv exclusive jokes and references early on.

Early on the comedy is weaker and they reference japanese-only jokes that westerners can't possibly get more often than later. Not only that but they're largely introducing characters and the world. Episode 25 is when the show gets REALLY good. It's a pretty big wait, but remember that the show is 200+ episodes. I think it has hit or will hit the 300s.

Russ T

Banned
I'll help you with that. Watch the new Lupin III series:

Seconded. It's easily the best Lupin has ever been, and it's good enough to stand on its own even if you don't like Lupin.

(Second half of that sentence is probably not accurate at all. I just really love this new stuff a lot.)

Bossun

I didn't know there was a bromance between Genos and Saitama.

The relationship is more like a stalker and a stalkee. Gents basically imposed himself of Saitama, who seems to be less annoyed with genos than with other people.

I feel like this is the beginning of a forced (and non existant) relationship made up by internet people as usual. (A yaoi subculture or something like that)

Reset

Recommending Kill la Kill for action. Hahaha. Some of those fight scenes in that show look awful.
The only reason someone would want to watch Kill la Kill is for the creepy fan service, it has no redeeming qualities.

One Punch Man and Kill la Kill are about the same quality in downtime, but when push comes to punch, OPM dominates for fight scenes, easily.

Of course, OPM is the better series in other areas as well.

Bossun

Saitama at first was annoyed by him, but by the end of the series he's fully his friend/apprentice. Look at how he's Genos' hype man during the scene at the end.

Still one sided, he doesn't show any strong feeling toward Genos at all, and he basically accepted him just so he would stop annoying him. Granted he probably consider him a friend, but that's it. Not even a special friend or something like that.

Very little manga spoiler:
Hell, he probably likes King more than Genos as they share a video game hobby and often play together in the manga.

Evilisk

Can't wait for the OST. I really want to hear the full theme from the Crablante/Puri-Puri-Prisoner vs. Sea King parts

Saw this on reddit for stuff to watch after OPM. Not sure if I totally agree with it, but it might be a good place to start for lapsed anime fans.

Kill la Kill for action? Lol. That's the one show where the action just gets worse as the show goes on (rather than better)

I also dislike them recommending Gintama but without any explanation beyond "if you watched a lot of shows you'll like it"

They could have put that most episodes are one-offs with serious arcs that are still short compared to other shows, or that the first two episodes of the show are filler and should be ignored, or that you need to trudge through the first twenty episodes before it gets good etc.

I like the other recommendations though, especially Samurai Flamenco and Kick-Ass. It also just reminded me that I have to finish Tiger and Bunny at some point.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I know, I know, "don't start with episode 1", but still, from the first few episodes I slogged through, I thought Gintama was utter crap. Too referential, too forced. I don't care if it gets better around episode 58 or something, I ain't watching 50 episodes just to get to the good stuff, and I'm not skipping 50 episodes of backstory either.

When people ask me if they should watch Game of Thrones, I say "watch the first two episodes, and if you're not hooked by then, stop." I don't tell them to watch the entirety of the first season, even knowing the twist near the end. That's ridiculous. People don't have the luxury of potentially wasting 9 hours of their time like that.

MCD

Kill la Kill is decent mindless fun as long as you don't take it seriously and didn't get hyped by the fans as the best show ever blahblahblah.

I know, I know, "don't start with episode 1", but still, from the first few episodes I slogged through, I thought Gintama was utter crap. Too referential, too forced. I don't care if it gets better around episode 58 or something, I ain't watching 50 episodes just to get to the good stuff, and I'm not skipping 50 episodes of backstory either.

When people ask me if they should watch Game of Thrones, I say "watch the first two episodes, and if you're not hooked by then, stop." I don't tell them to watch the entirety of the first season, even knowing the twist near the end. That's ridiculous. People don't have the luxury of potentially wasting 9 hours of their time like that.

Why not just watch the story arcs?

I didn't know there was a bromance between Genos and Saitama.

The relationship is more like a stalker and a stalkee. Gents basically imposed himself of Saitama, who seems to be less annoyed with genos than with other people.

I feel like this is the beginning of a forced (and non existant) relationship made up by internet people as usual. (A yaoi subculture or something like that)

Watch the second OVA and you'll realise just how depressed Saitama was without any human connections. It's set right after he kills the mosquito girl and before he takes Genos as disciple.

Moaradin

Gintama is a 300+ episode series. If time is a problem, then you shouldn't really be watching it to begin with. Most people say you should at least watch up to episode 25. Most of those episodes are introducing the characters and setting up jokes that are used throughout the entire series, and episode 25 itself is hilarious.

25 episodes is a pretty low barrier for a show that has hundreds of high quality episodes.

FluxWaveZ

Why not just watch the story arcs?

To me, the Gintama story arcs wouldn't nearly as special or good if I didn't have all the context and and background from standalone episodes. The Character Poll Arc is one of the best I've seen, and it's hard to imagine that being as great without the buildup over time.

But I didn't have to slog through the beginning episodes; I enjoyed the start, and just enjoyed it more as it went on.

Chariot

To me, the Gintama story arcs wouldn't nearly as special or good if I didn't have all the context and and background from standalone episodes. The Character Poll Arc is one of the best I've seen, and it's hard to imagine that being as great without the buildup over time.

But I didn't have to slog through the beginning episodes; I enjoyed the start, and just enjoyed it more as it went on.
One of Gintamas strength, maybe it's defining strength is to turn running gags and character traits that just seem to be there to be whacky into very serious ingredients for the dramatic arcs. As such yes, the gag episodes are important. However to get people into the show, the actually beginning might just be a bit too aimless. Showcased by the waves of people not getting into Gintama after the first chronological episodes. They can watch them once they're hooked with later material.

Nightbird

To be honest, I skipped trough the first 24 Episodes the first time. Sure,that did come with some confusion, but you get to learn all of the characters anyway, so it wasn't bad.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
By all means, if people enjoy the show, they should keep watching it. I guess I'm just not enamoured with the idea of finding a good shounen/comedy anime enough to start watching it from episode 1, 25 or 50. The show had a chance to grab me in its first few episodes, and it didn't. Too bad, but not a big loss. Still plenty of great shows to watch!

Nightbird

By all means, if people enjoy the show, they should keep watch it. I guess I'm just not enamoured with the idea of finding a good shounen/comedy anime enough to start watching it from episode 1, 25 or 50. The show had a chance to grab me in its first few episodes, and it didn't. Too bad, but not a big loss. Still plenty of great shows to watch!

Fair enough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Parasyte for animation? Nani?

Here's a serious recommendation for those who want the complete opposite of OPM, a hero who is completely overpowered by others, down on their luck but still struggles on in a world where there are no superpowers: Kaiji.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For comedy I'd recommend Yakitate! Japan and Cromartie High School. Don't see these recommended enough.

Second one I agree with.

Yakitate left a bade taste in my mouth. Really liked the idea and the first arc. Then towards the end of the second arc it really lost its way and the third was quite bad (yet the anime version actually makes it a bit better by cutting a lot of the manga chapters out, including the dumbest ending ever). Big flaw was the complete butchering of most of the characters, turning them into one tone jokes that went against how they were original introduced.

Russ T

Banned
Second one I agree with.

Yakitate left a bade taste in my mouth. Really liked the idea and the first arc. Then towards the end of the second arc it really lost its way and the third was quite bad (yet the anime version actually makes it a bit better by cutting a lot of the manga chapters out, including the dumbest ending ever). Big flaw was the complete butchering of most of the characters, turning them into one tone jokes that went against how they were original introduced.

Man, agreed 100%. Yakitate started out super super strong, and then just fucking fell apart. The, uh, blonde guy, what's his name? It's been a long time. He went from a real character with real desire and real skill... to a useless twit, only used as a comedy foil. I'll forever be sour about that.

That said, I really like the first half-ish of the series. But anyone recommending it would be remiss to not point out that many of the stronger jokes are Japanese puns and junk, and require on-screen explanations to fully get them (which in some ways kills the joke). So, if you're interested in a comedy about baking bread, I'd keep that in mind.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Second one I agree with.

Man, agreed 100%. Yakitate started out super super strong, and then just fucking fell apart. The, uh, blonde guy, what's his name? It's been a long time. He went from a real character with real desire and real skill... to a useless twit, only used as a comedy foil. I'll forever be sour about that.

That said, I really like the first half-ish of the series. But anyone recommending it would be remiss to not point out that many of the stronger jokes are Japanese puns and junk, and require on-screen explanations to fully get them (which in some ways kills the joke). So, if you're interested in a comedy about baking bread, I'd keep that in mind.

Quite liked it myself back then, at least the anime version. I remember not liking it as much from the point where they introduced the clown/Kefka dude. It became a bit too weird for me. Still watched it until the end.

How does the manga end?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Off the rails doesn't even begin to describe the manga ending.

Monaco arc the GOAT though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Off the rails doesn't even begin to describe the manga ending.

Monaco arc the GOAT though.

But what is it though? I did a quick search and couldn't find it, and I'm at work right now. Just spoiler it.
I need the cringe.

Russ T

Banned
I'm also curious. Wasn't aware the endings differed, and I already think the anime ending was terrible. I'd love to see just how much worse it could get.

Hopefully it's not as bad as when I heard about Usagi Drop's story beyond the anime's ending...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But what is it though? I did a quick search and couldn't find it, and I'm at work right now. Just spoiler it.
I need the cringe.

My memory is fuzzy but basically the baker that inspired Azuma shows up and he's gone full evil because of his obsession with creating the perfect bread. He creates a bread that turns people into bread-aliens call Hu-pan. Azuma and friends defeat the evil bread (which has gained sentience) by turning Kawachi into some kind of kickboxer with the head of Chopin.

Also in the epilogue they're asked to stop global warming with bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom