• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandangox

Saw this on reddit for stuff to watch after OPM. Not sure if I totally agree with it, but it might be a good place to start for lapsed anime fans.

Bacanno should have been recommended for intense action comedy. Is definitely an entirely different style than OPM, but there's intense action, and the situations and music make it highly comedic.

Bacanno should have been recommended for intense action comedy. Is definitely an entirely different style than OPM, but there's intense action, and the situations and music make it highly comedic.

I think the point was to recommend shows that are somewhat similar to certain sides of what people might have liked from One Punch Man. Once we start getting broad we have WAY better shows to recommend.

As ridiculous as it was, I thought the climax to the Monaco Cup arc in Yakitate was legitimately heartwarming.

It's all downhill from there though in both the anime and the manga.

But what is it though? I did a quick search and couldn't find it, and I'm at work right now. Just spoiler it.
I need the cringe.

I'm also curious. Wasn't aware the endings differed, and I already think the anime ending was terrible. I'd love to see just how much worse it could get.

Hopefully it's not as bad as when I heard about Usagi Drop's story beyond the anime's ending...

My memory is fuzzy but basically the baker that inspired Azuma shows up and he's gone full evil because of his obsession with creating the perfect bread. He creates a bread that turns people into bread-aliens call Hu-pan. Azuma and friends defeat the evil bread (which has gained sentience) by turning Kawachi into some kind of kickboxer with the head of Chopin.

Also in the epilogue they're asked to stop global warming with bread.

Haly is leaving out the most ridiculous part.

Kawachi turns into Dhalsim. Not a character that looks like Dhalsim, literally Dhalsim.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It goes from a show with over the top reactions to
a show where said reactions become permanent transformations.
The anime skirted around this by making this far more ambiguous as the writers probably thought that was a step too far.

But the butchering of Kawachi's character really is the biggest flaw of the whole thing. It also makes the MC turn into a massive prick so you kind of don't want to root for him.

phaze

Saw this on reddit for stuff to watch after OPM. Not sure if I totally agree with it, but it might be a good place to start for lapsed anime fans.

Reccomending Parasyte of all things over Yozakura Quartet, Birdy, FMA:B, FSN:UBW, or Noein.
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Haly is leaving out the most ridiculous part.

Kawachi turns into Dhalsim. Not a character that looks like Dhalsim, literally Dhalsim.

I think this is one of those instances where this meme fits perfectly: PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Can't find anything on Google.

Another anime with spectacular fight scenes that I've rarely seen recommended: Karas.

You can see the opening scene here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNck5FTzSM

Anime that have a more complex and psychological story: Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze and Kino No Tabi. KNT is episodic so it's easier to understand.

Watching people recommend the same stuff over and over again is kinda annoying.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Parasyte for animation? Nani?

Here's a serious recommendation for those who want the complete opposite of OPM, a hero who is completely overpowered by others, down on their luck but still struggles on in a world where there are no superpowers: Kaiji.
This is good recommendation
Not to mention Kaiji is moe as fuck

...no way
Yes way

But what is it though? I did a quick search and couldn't find it, and I'm at work right now. Just spoiler it.
I need the cringe.

Adding what Haly already posted
Kawachi turn into Dhalsim (street fighter) after eating Kazuma bread and save the world by lifting every land using his yoga power. Kazuma later win a nobel prize for that, while Kawachi stuck in SF world, getting shoryuken from Ken

Edit: crap, beaten. Oh well, at least i add another info about Kazuma winning nobel prize

If you want to read the funniest manga ever drawn: read Kyou Kare Ore Wa. The art is kinda shit but it is still the most consistently funny manga ever, with over 360 chapters.

It's the manga which I wanna see remade into an anime today. The 90s anime didn't do it justice in terms of comedic timing and characterization. Luckily the recent trend of 90s manga being adapted to anime like Ushia No tora and Parasyte gives me hope that someday it will get a remake anime too.

What's amazing about Yakitate is it's at least sort of grounded in reality when it begins. I can't think of another work of fiction in any medium that goes from something coherent with low-key non-realistic elements to complete and utter nonsense to such an extent. Hell, there's even a moment in one of the first arcs that deconstructs the whole reaction thing, but after that they just double down on it and it escalates from there.

phaze

How is Noein anyways? I loved Birdy and its from the same director so I'm a bit interested.

Of course you picked the one thing I didn't watch to completion.
fsexuxztvq2s.gif
As such I can't really offer an informed opinion. What I watched (~5 eps) was alright. (Which is more or less my opinion of Birdy so you might like it more.)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
What's amazing about Yakitate is it's at least sort of grounded in reality when it begins. I can't think of another work of fiction in any medium that goes from something coherent with low-key non-realistic elements to complete and utter nonsense to such an extent.

Yeah, at first it just foodgasm and stuff, then suddenly bread that can make people go to heaven, time traveling bread, title changing bread (they seriously change the title of the manga in publication just for that one joke)

My memory is fuzzy but basically the baker that inspired Azuma shows up and he's gone full evil because of his obsession with creating the perfect bread. He creates a bread that turns people into bread-aliens call Hu-pan. Azuma and friends defeat the evil bread (which has gained sentience) by turning Kawachi into some kind of kickboxer with the head of Chopin.

Also in the epilogue they're asked to stop global warming with bread.

Welp. I clearly stopped reading before this happened.

Thanks for sharing. OPM got me back into anime. Funny that Hajime No Ippo is on that list, because that's what I've been watching lately. I started it about 10 years ago but they stopped making episodes so I stopped. But now I see they made more episodes so I started over from the beginning. It's so good. Takamura is one of the best characters ever.

Fandangox

Preview from the OST are being uploaded.

I just need to know what the name of Genos' theme is.

Edit: Oh, "The cyborg fights." Apt.

What's the name for the fighting music, you know the one that plays during the battle with the underground dwellers?

Actually where can I listen to these previews

FluxWaveZ

Verelios

If you want to read the funniest manga ever drawn: read Kyou Kare Ore Wa. The art is kinda shit but it is still the most consistently funny manga ever, with over 360 chapters.

It's the manga which I wanna see remade into an anime today. The 90s anime didn't do it justice in terms of comedic timing and characterization. Luckily the recent trend of 90s manga being adapted to anime like Ushia No tora and Parasyte gives me hope that someday it will get a remake anime too.
I read this in college and it was the perfect mix of comedy and action drama. You're left with legitimately terrible people who gradually become more terrible while also growing up to have some morals, kicking the asses of horrible, less moral shit people. Its twisted, wacky,hilarious and jolting at the same time. I had read GTO, but this wasn't like that, it was more grounded. Probably because it follows students. Lead me into the delinquent scene with Worst and Crow which are phenomenal portrayals of the HS delinquent scene, if a little exaggerated. Even the inferior Haruliya(?)boy I I was entertaining.

Dreavus

Up to episode 9 with the
Sea King fight. It's funny because I was thinking maybe THIS time it might take two punches, since the Sea King was shown regenerating from other attacks pretty quickly, but nope. Just POW and he's obliterated, lol. This show continues to turn those tropes on its head.

Really enjoying the show so far.

LordOfChaos

So,
Yall already watched both OVAs, right? Just watched Road to Hero and The Shadow that snuck up too close. Both pretty good. And the english subs of Road did the title and end songs too, finally know what those are saying lol.

Yonafunu

Some pretty alright JoJoing here. Metal Bat completing his transformation to Josuke practically too. It makes sense with them having the same voice actor now with the upcoming Part 4.

They don't, actually. Wataru Hatano, who voices Metal Bat, also voiced Josuke in All Star Battle, but in the anime Josuke is voiced by Yuuki Ono.

Dreavus

Up to episode 9 with the
Sea King fight. It's funny because I was thinking maybe THIS time it might take two punches, since the Sea King was shown regenerating from other attacks pretty quickly, but nope. Just POW and he's obliterated, lol. This show continues to turn those tropes on its head.

Really enjoying the show so far.

Finished the series last night! I thought the ending fit really well and leaves itself open if they want to continue.
I was hoping that OPM would get at least a bit of the challenge he was looking for from Boros, and since he wasn't challenged at all you end up feeling for him a bit in the end. At least it took more than one punch to defeat him.

Only loose end I noticed was: I don't recall anything happening with the two guys that beat up Hammerhead. They were talking about "letting them steal the power suits" and stuff, but they never showed up again. Were they just Metal Knight cronies?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finished the series last night! I thought the ending fit really well and leaves itself open if they want to continue.
I was hoping that OPM would get at least a bit of the challenge he was looking for from Boros, and since he wasn't challenged at all you end up feeling for him a bit in the end. At least it took more than one punch to defeat him.

Only loose end I noticed was: I don't recall anything happening with the two guys that beat up Hammerhead. They were talking about "letting them steal the power suits" and stuff, but they never showed up again. Were they just Metal Knight cronies?

We haven't seen them again in the manga. Not that they won't show up, we just haven't gotten to that point in the story. There are several ominous characters and groups in the story we have heard little to nothing about.

Alienous

I really like the Hero Association. Like, the organization. I really dig it. It seems like how heroes would be handled in the real world.

Some of the characters are good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom