• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

That full Licenseless Rider theme. God damn. Ganbatte.

They don't, actually. Wataru Hatano, who voices Metal Bat, also voiced Josuke in All Star Battle, but in the anime Josuke is voiced by Yuuki Ono.

Yep, I fucked up. I had it confused as I was wondering what Metal Bat's VA would be back before they had his voice and I saw he was Josuke's VA already. I just misremembered that as it carrying forward and that Metal Bat was going to be the new Josuke too. Welp, he's still Old Josuke in my heart.

I'm pretty sure I've been here longer than you, it's a play on kamen rider, does anybody call kamen rider "masked rider'.

he's joking that the manga translation has him as Licenseless Rider, while the anime subs kept him as Mumen Rider. And folks have been following the manga for longer I guess

Draxal

he's joking that the manga translation has him as Licenseless Rider, while the anime subs kept him as Mumen Rider. And folks have been following the manga for longer I guess

Yeah ... but i've been following both ONE/Murata ever since around chapter 18 of the redraw. I really don't care and don't know why I capped Mumen Rider though (and really doesn't care about the Amai Mask and whatever his name was in the scanlations name change either).

Draxal

No. They aren't even consistent with Fubuki and Tatsumaki.

Well, Fubuki and Tatsumaki are proper names instead of hero names iirc.

Real reason they kept calling him Mumen rider in the daisuki sub, is that they clearly yell 'mumen rider' each time they say his name, so it justs eases the confusion there.

Although Fubuki of the blizzard group is kinda redundant.

blamite

Personally, as someone who's watched a pretty small amount of anime and isn't super familiar with a lot of stuff, I prefer the name Mumen Rider. It sounds cooler than "Licenseless," I'm vaguely aware of Kamen Rider as a thing so I get the fact that it's kind of a pun on that, and I don't think using the word "licenseless" to describe a guy on a bike would really mean anything to me, because what kind of license am I supposed to expect this guy to have in the first place?

I don't even know what the fuck Amai's name is translated as or what it's supposed to be in the first place other than I think it has both "Kamen" and "Mask" in it, so who the fuck knows anyway???

Tornado is a dumb name and doesn't seem super relevant to her abilities, probably they should've just kept her Tatsumaki?

Puruzi

Banned
Personally, as someone who's watched a pretty small amount of anime and isn't super familiar with a lot of stuff, I prefer the name Mumen Rider. It sounds cooler than "Licenseless," I'm vaguely aware of Kamen Rider as a thing so I get the fact that it's kind of a pun on that, and I don't think using the word "licenseless" to describe a guy on a bike would really mean anything to me, because what kind of license am I supposed to expect this guy to have in the first place?

he uses a bike because he's licenseless

Skrams

Tatsumaki is a weird one because I remember reading a Translator's note or something that it flip flops on whether the tone has tornado or just tatsumaki or something weird like that.

I don't even know what the fuck Amai's name is translated as or what it's supposed to be in the first place other than I think it has both "Kamen" and "Mask" in it, so who the fuck knows anyway???

Tornado is a dumb name and doesn't seem super relevant to her abilities, probably they should've just kept her Tatsumaki?

Like a license to drive. Like a car or motorcycle. Like a license because people know what licenses are.

Also it's translated as Sweet Mask usually. Or Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask. I prefer that compared to what they usually say in the official translation which is "Amai Mask aka Handsome Kamen."

Awesome OST. I'm actually surprised that there is a good hour of music for OPM. While i loved the music on the show, it often felt like they're repeating the same 5-6 tracks over and over, i'm glad to be wrong though. :)

Qvoth

theme of one punch man so good
p0QHO.gif

For me, one of the most hilarious aspects of the OPM universe is the hero names. Licenseless Rider, Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask, Armored Manager, Caped Baldy, Funeral Suspenders, Smile Man and so on. The humor and charm are lost when they remain untranslated, and I still frown a bit whenever I read "Mumen Rider" or "Amai Mask." In Rider's specific case, it ties in even less to his former hero title,
Nameless Bicycle Commuter

Draxal

For me, one of the most hilarious aspects of the OPM universe is the hero names. Licenseless Rider, Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask, Armored Manager, Caped Baldy, Funeral Suspenders, Smile Man and so on. The humor and charm are lost when they remain untranslated, and I still frown a bit whenever I read "Mumen Rider" or "Amai Mask." In Rider's specific case, it ties in even less to his former hero title,
Nameless Bicycle Commuter

Mumen Rider is the only one that loses a bit in translation as the pun's not there anymore.

Not

Banned

It's funnier to me. Along with "Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask." The more cumbersome the hero name, the more it grabs me.

kewlmyc

To be fair, the officially translated manga by Viz refers to him as Mumen Rider as well. We got spoiled by fantranslations.

Not

Banned
To be fair, the officially translated manga by Viz refers to him as Mumen Rider as well. We got spoiled by fantranslations.

That translation is shite. I mean, all respect to Viz's John Werry, but DAMN is he a bad translator, or bad humorist, or just plain out of touch, or what.

I've bought all 4 of the Viz translations so far mainly for the extra stories, and the translation is so, so bad compared to the initial fan translations. So much humor lost, so much of the actually hilarious vernacular gone.

kewlmyc

That translation is shite. I mean, all respect to Viz's John Werry, but DAMN is he a bad translator, or bad humorist, or just plain out of touch, or what.

I've bought all 4 of the Viz translations so far mainly for the extra stories, and the translation is so, so bad compared to the initial fan translations. So much humor lost, so much of the actually hilarious vernacular gone.

Volume 7 and 8 (which are only available via ereaders so far) are pretty good. He's improved from the earlier volumes.

Not

Banned
Volume 7 and 8 (which are only available via ereaders so far) are pretty good. He's improved from the earlier volumes.

Still a bummer, because the first three are the best, and definitely the ones that should be nailed for maximum effect.

I guess if a reader didn't have the fan translations to compare, it might not bother them as much.

Still "I don't swing that way, though," works so much better to me than "I'm not interested in dudes." Come ON. Also, he replaced the world-famous "OK" with "Oh."

Friggin' seriously? Your "sou ka" is "oh"?! Wow.

Plus, "round circle," "you'll pay for turning Genos into modern art" etc. etc. etc.

Skrams

Still a bummer, because the first three are the best, and definitely the ones that should be nailed for maximum effect.

I guess if a reader didn't have the fan translations to compare, it might not bother them as much.

Still "I don't swing that way, though," works so much better to me than "I'm not interested in dudes." Come ON. Also, he replaced the world-famous "OK" with "Oh."

Plus, "round circle," "you'll pay for turning Genos into modern art" etc. etc. etc.

I think round circle was an added joke actually by the translators?

Oh god, i hope that's not a bad omen for the eventual western blu-ray release. Does this man also do translations for anime releases? I realize the Daisuke translation already aren't completely on point in some regards, but i'd hate if it deviated even further, especially in iconic scenes like that.

LordOfChaos

Finished the series last night! I thought the ending fit really well and leaves itself open if they want to continue.
I was hoping that OPM would get at least a bit of the challenge he was looking for from Boros, and since he wasn't challenged at all you end up feeling for him a bit in the end. At least it took more than one punch to defeat him.

I think it was at least moderately stimulating for him, as in the post-credits scene he cries out "just one punch again?!", agonizing that his level of enemy went back down.

It was also his first enemy that the hilariously named "consecutive normal punches" didn't do away with, and he had to break out the bottom rung of his serious move set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom