• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines |OT| Cursed for Life

Ventara

Alright, 2 generations later, and I'm ready for round 2 with the 3rd festival. I actually have a pretty good team, even though my ace won't be part of it since her vigor has started dropping. If this team can't do it, then I don't know what will.

2 questions, with 1 question being a multipart question:

do you get new gear for your party and stuff? is it class based or do you get spears/swords/whatever and can put them where you want? do you see physical changes to the characters based on different gear?

How long does the game take to actually start/get going? too many games i'm playing right now have either a shitload of exposition at the opening or just too much downtime in between the time when i'm actually playing.

LX_Theo

Banned

do you get new gear for your party and stuff? is it class based or do you get spears/swords/whatever and can put them where you want? do you see physical changes to the characters based on different gear?

How long does the game take to actually start/get going? too many games i'm playing right now have either a shitload of exposition at the opening or just too much downtime in between the time when i'm actually playing.

Class based. Some are gender based. Every trade (class) has a unique look that has a variation for each gender. To note, you're constantly making new clan members to fight for you, so varying what trades your party has is simple and easy. Its actually more suggested to try and get heirloom equipment, that gain stat boosts as their owners level up and can be passed down generations.

You do character creation. Then like a 15 minute cutscene to set up the story. A couple very brief cutscenes to establish where you are and what your actual setup is for achieving your task. Then you are thrown into the action. Exposition dump at the beginning is very minimal outside of the long cutscene that sets everything up.

All weapons are class based, and armor is grouped into light/medium/heavy and each class is restricted to a certain type of armor.
It opens up pretty quickly. This is not a story heavy game.

Niahak

I have literally only had daughters born. What's up with that?

I've had mostly sons, but I started with male characters. Others have said the formula might be biased towards whichever you start with.

I saw this on an earlier page, though, try checking these numbers to see if they match up? If it works, maybe you could even manipulate some of these a bit (leaving a character at home for a month, out of the party so they don't accumulate glory, would switch child's gender).

I haven't checked either, but it seems plausible.

Came across this but havent had a chance to test it yet:

"Last digit of glory + last month of parent's age = X
If X is even, then its a girl.
If X is odd, then its a boy.

Example:
Parent has 363 glory and has lived for 1 year and 9 months.
3 + 9 = 12
Child will be a girl."

And

"Want to know the algorithm for twins?

(glory + age in months) / 64

If the remainder is less than 2, then twins will be born. The threshold is multiplied by 3 if you only have 1 person in your clan. The threshold multiplies by 2 if you only have 2 people in your clan. It multiplies by 1.5 if you have 3 people in your clan. The threshold is normal if you have more than 3. Some deities have an additional algorithm for making twins.

Example:
Character X has 12,864 glory and is 19 months old.
4 people in the clan
The partner deity does not affect twins.
12,864 + 19 = 12,883
12,883 / 64 = 201 with a remainder of 19
The remainder is more than 2; thus, twins will not be born."

LX_Theo

Banned
What is a good starting character class

You get three classes between your starting three. Personally I thought Dancer and Halberd were very useful early on since they could attack rows of enemies at once.

It is, however, quite forgiving early on, so go ahead and take the ones that interest you the most.

Is Semei not talking to me because 2 of my party have lower than 450 stamina? ;_;
16799277782_a8b85658e8_o.jpg

Don't want to lose the scroll I found. D:

lupin23rd

Kochin keeps recommending me go find some specific scroll(s), but I'm not clear where I'm supposed to find the enemies that have them.

Are they just from random drops on the prize roll? Or are there specific enemies that I have to find that have that scroll?

Also, is there a set point from where you can expand on the number of clan members? Have six, although I'm still early on.

Kochin keeps recommending me go find some specific scroll(s), but I'm not clear where I'm supposed to find the enemies that have them.

Are they just from random drops on the prize roll? Or are there specific enemies that I have to find that have that scroll?

They're specific enemies. Not guaranteed to carry them though.

Regarding the clan member expansion, I got the option when I had 50k+ saved up and almost full clan.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I think that Gunner, alberdier and martial artist are great classes to start with, i chose them at the beginning and are still my favorites, avoid fencers because are almost useless imo, i still miss archers and crushers though.

Also, is there a set point from where you can expand on the number of clan members? Have six, although I'm still early on.
Only some enemies have them, not every enemy of a kind, you need to observe who has what and try to beat always the same enemies leaving and returning in their room so they can respawn.

Don't do those missions though, they are just a waste of time, enemies carry scrolls even if you are not searching for them, so you will get them eventually, it's just a matter of luck.

Always decide together with Kochin what to do, or make all on your own, don't let her decide everything.

I'd go Gunner, Wrecker, Archer. Wrecker is a great single target damage dealer (and their secret arts do a ton of damage), Gunners attack entire enemy parties (and can switch to stronger single target weapons for bosses), and Archers do good single target damage against any enemy in any row. Halberdier is a solid class, but it's redundant with Nueko who you are forced to use much of the game. Dancers don't do enough damage to be worth it, and I found Wreckers to be more useful than Fencers. The Lancers ability to attack two deep into an enemy pattern is not something I ever found to be particularly worthwhile. I never unlocked Martial Artist, so I can't speak for that.

Random mobs in this game are rarely very threatening, it's the bosses where the difficulty lies. So I'd make a party that's built for boss encounters. But what you start out with isn't super important because you'll find the other classes and have a chance to experiment.

Slathe

Any way to extend the Life of a guy about to die. Already bought the best tincture I could and got him up to 95 vigor but he's dying no matter what on the next month. Need one more month or of him to transfer his 3 secret arts. His death came up very fast and only lived one month from start of decay. Usually I can get three.

Also what have people found is best way to farm devotion?

Steel

Banned
Any way to extend the Life of a guy about to die. Already bought the best tincture I could and got him up to 95 vigor but he's dying no matter what on the next month. Need one more month or of him to transfer his 3 secret arts. His death came up very fast and only lived one month from start of decay. Usually I can get three.

Finding gods gets you a lot of devotion, and try making it to at least one Onigami each run into a dungeon. You'll find more gods from the roulette if your entire party was born to one type of god, for example I once went in with a party full of children of earth gods and got 3 trapped gods just because of it that added up to a few thousand devotion.

Sera O

Banned

Sorry, I don't have an answer for life extension but betrothal is handy in those situations. I was in a similar situation and managed to pass the arts down by using betrothal instead of the rite of union. The rite takes a month while betrothals have an instant kid show up.

If you have/can get some betrothal candidates in your list and have some money, you can probably do the betrothal, get the kid, and set him up to train just in time.

Slathe

I just ate my loss unfortunately But the betrothal tip is a handy one to keep in mind for the future. Hopefully my super powered child will relearn the ancient secrets of the bow.

I also have lost two halberdier secret arts from bad planning. I've relearned one but that family branch gets weaker every generation so I'm thinking of letting them die off.

Hikami

The soundtrack for this game is great. I can usually pick a favorite track from a game pretty easily but it's a tough choice for this one.
This one one sounds great. Can't remember where it was from though lol, it was from a boss I think?

Seda

The soundtrack for this game is great. I can usually pick a favorite track from a game pretty easily but it's a tough choice for this one.
This one one sounds great. Can't remember where it was from though lol, it was from a boss I think?

That's the first part of the Final boss theme. 3.21 and 3.22 are the other parts.

-

There are a lot of tracks I like, but my favorites would be:

Nebulous Nebuta Festival (Summer festival)

Dragon Canyon Falls

Stairway to the Moon

And of course Seimei and Shikigami and the regular battle theme are fun.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
After getting the second festival instrument i unlocked 2 new lands and damn enemies kick my ass!
Many battles can permakill my entire party! :(
It's weird because until now it was a piece of cake.

Hikami

^You also have to take note that the demon strength in different lands may be different. (it tells you on the world map)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The game spikes in difficulty at times, mostly for bosses though. It's not a gradual ramp up.

^You also have to take note that the demon strength in different lands may be different. (it tells you on the world map)

Both the first land that i unlocked and one of the new 2 have 3 as enemy strength(4 the other one) but the difference is immense, a normal enemy can permakill my party!
Maybe i'm doing something wrong :\

LX_Theo

Banned
Both the first land that i unlocked and one of the new 2 have 3 as enemy strength(4 the other one) but the difference is immense, a normal enemy can permakill my party!
Maybe i'm doing something wrong :
The first one should have had its enemy strength increase each time you got a new instrument

Sera O

Banned
Any suggestions on how to remove curse effects from heirloom equipment? I didn't even know they could become cursed - it happened to my gunner's armor upon inheritance, after a defeat by an onigami in the previous generation.

Do I just hope for a lucky removal when the equipment is inherited? I don't really want to equip it because it has paralysis effect and loyalty drain...

Ventara

Any suggestions on how to remove curse effects from heirloom equipment? I didn't even know they could become cursed - it happened to my gunner's armor upon inheritance, after a defeat by an onigami in the previous generation.

Do I just hope for a lucky removal when the equipment is inherited? I don't really want to equip it because it has paralysis effect and loyalty drain...

You have to defeat the onigami who put a curse on the heirloom.

Ventara

Hinashi no Keito (the blindfold guy)
is handing my ass to me, and I'm barely doing any damage. Any tips guys?

I'd normally just grind a little, but the amount if devotion I'm getting isn't enough to maintain my clan (1 old, 1 new, 3 party and Nueko) AND afford the better Gods. Is there a better way to grind for devotion? I'm already trying to kill all the enemies I face and am searching for any Onigami.

LX_Theo

Banned
Hinashi no Keito (the blindfold guy)
is handing my ass to me, and I'm barely doing any damage. Any tips guys?

I'd normally just grind a little, but the amount if devotion I'm getting isn't enough to maintain my clan (1 old, 1 new, 3 party and Nueko) AND afford the better Gods. Is there a better way to grind for devotion? I'm already trying to kill all the enemies I face and am searching for any Onigami.

Yell, that was something I was struggling with by the end. My best suggestion is to try and use some betrothals for new kids instead so you can save up more devotion.

Uthred

I'd go Gunner, Wrecker, Archer. Wrecker is a great single target damage dealer (and their secret arts do a ton of damage), Gunners attack entire enemy parties (and can switch to stronger single target weapons for bosses), and Archers do good single target damage against any enemy in any row. Halberdier is a solid class, but it's redundant with Nueko who you are forced to use much of the game. Dancers don't do enough damage to be worth it, and I found Wreckers to be more useful than Fencers. The Lancers ability to attack two deep into an enemy pattern is not something I ever found to be particularly worthwhile. I never unlocked Martial Artist, so I can't speak for that.

Random mobs in this game are rarely very threatening, it's the bosses where the difficulty lies. So I'd make a party that's built for boss encounters. But what you start out with isn't super important because you'll find the other classes and have a chance to experiment.

Seems like quite the exaggeration to me, you're "forced" to use her for a handful of story missions, the great bulk of the playtime you can use whoever you want. Regarding classes, I'd go with whatever you like the look of, breeding and equipment tend to even out any inherent pros and cons of the various classes. I started with archer, fencer and wrecker but later found the archers damage was pretty sub-par and swapped in a dancer and added a lancer because their ability to attack two rows at once is handy for clearing trash. Grew tired of wreckers missing and saved them for bosses and always felt the gunner was a little underwhelming compared to my dancer (but again that could have been due to breeding and equipment).

Ventara

Yell, that was something I was struggling with by the end. My best suggestion is to try and use some betrothals for new kids instead so you can save up more devotion.

Oh, good idea! I completely forgot about that. I've been ignoring that feature so far, so now's a good a time as any.

chrono01

So I just purchased this game on the SEN Store, despite not yet owning a Vita [although I will in June]. The way I figure, a game like this will likely rarely get a sale, and I wanted to get those two free early-purchase Gods.

It sounds like a lot of you are having fun with this one, so I'm sure it'll be worth my money.

Sera O

Banned
Oh, good idea! I completely forgot about that. I've been ignoring that feature so far, so now's a good a time as any.

I'm doing betrothals more than half the time now, unless I have a devotion stockpile that can get Hiruko or a god with very evenly high stats. Late game it's very easy to get a weaker next generation being too reliant on the ritual. Money is easier to accumulate, and betrothal candidates have more evenly good stats than some expensive gods. You don't lose a month you could spend gaining levels, and no worries that someone will croak before passing down secret arts if you're late making a kid.

I need to reduce my clan size though. I like fencers a lot at this point for solid damage, durability, and their secret arts that proc for free. I may keep a dancer for starting combined spells, but I am thinking I may just stick largely with lancer, fencer, a martial artist and Nueko from now on. I never got a wrecker scroll unfortunately.

Link to imgur album of more or my betrothal candidate QRs in case anyone needs: http://imgur.com/a/EKoUy

Links_fantasy

I was rely hyped for this but since it's come out I've been put off by the dungeon design complaints and time limits which stress me out. I'm currently playing Majoras Mask 3D and I don't think I can handle another time based game at the moment.

autoduelist

without going into spoilertown, can someone please tell me if my first game setup is okay:

i went with karate (leader), lancer, archer. 100 hour game (fanatic, i think). did i doom my clan to a crappy setup? or is one of those particularly unfun to play? or is that setup 'good enough'? (I don't need to min/max the best setup, i just want to make sure i didn't cripple myself or anything).

I was rely hyped for this but since it's come out I've been put off by the dungeon design complaints and time limits which stress me out. I'm currently playing Majoras Mask 3D and I don't think I can handle another time based game at the moment.

if i understand correctly, the game itself doesn't have a time limit. just individual characters, which you effectively have an endless supply of.

Hikami

i went with karate (leader), lancer, archer. 100 hour game (fanatic, i think). did i doom my clan to a crappy setup? or is one of those particularly unfun to play? or is that setup 'good enough'? (I don't need to min/max the best setup, i just want to make sure i didn't cripple myself or anything).
That's good enough for starting off. Only really bad thing I'd say is that you don't have a class that can hit a whole line of enemies with normal attacks but, AoE skills can make up for that.

Seems like quite the exaggeration to me, you're "forced" to use her for a handful of story missions, the great bulk of the playtime you can use whoever you want. Regarding classes, I'd go with whatever you like the look of, breeding and equipment tend to even out any inherent pros and cons of the various classes. I started with archer, fencer and wrecker but later found the archers damage was pretty sub-par and swapped in a dancer and added a lancer because their ability to attack two rows at once is handy for clearing trash. Grew tired of wreckers missing and saved them for bosses and always felt the gunner was a little underwhelming compared to my dancer (but again that could have been due to breeding and equipment).

It's not an exaggeration, you need to use Nueko for every boss fight. And you're going to need to her on a bunch of raids before each boss to level her. That ends up being the majority of the game, or at least it was for me.

LX_Theo

Banned
It's not an exaggeration, you need to use Nueko for every boss fight. And you're going to need to her on a bunch of raids before each boss to level her. That ends up being the majority of the game, or at least it was for me.

Most boss fights, not every. And in my experience, it was easy to level her up to fighting form. Either one raid or the raid I'm doing the boss fight on would typically be enough.

Most boss fights, not every. And in my experience, it was easy to level her up to fighting form. Either one raid or the raid I'm doing the boss fight on would typically be enough.

It's pretty much every boss fight, there's what one or maybe two exceptions? I'm not even sure what we are arguing here. I said you have to use Nueko much of the game, and you do. It was a statement of fact, not a complaint.

Top Bottom