• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Snake Voice David Hayter Has No Love For Hideo Kojima (Kotaku)

Only salt here is from people upset about someone not being a fan of Kojima. But then, that's what a bronze does to you I guess.
My thoughts exactly. People are always dying for the behind-the-scenes truths, and here Hayter gives a no-bullshit response. While remaining pretty professional too.

Wereroku

Not shitty at all, he was actually really good in MGSV. And I agree with some people here, Hayter sounds salty as f* in those quotes.

Answer this: How much would it have changed the game if he had gotten a throat injury and required ocelot to interpret for him?

I'm so glad we have your mother to alter common perceptions and facts regarding the damage smoking does to your lungs and vocal chords.

Cool story bro tell me how different does Vincent Price sound in this clip? Link.

Lung cancer for him btw. Some throat conditions can cause a change but otherwise most people sound almost the same as they age.

Pachinko

Honestly , Hayter dodged a bullet not being cast in MGS5. Game is by far the worst metal gear solid title and it's just generally an unfun slog even compared to other bloated next gen fetch quests. MGS has still hasn't topped the original MGS on the playstation- perfect mix of fun stealth gameplay , fun boss fights , entertaining story and cutscenes that didn't hit you over the head with a message , etc etc.

MGS5 might as well be 50 hours of Hideo fellating himself. It's bad enough that people who enjoy it should feel bad. It has no respect for your time commitment and infect actively disrespects your time.

For the record Kiefer sounds like he phones in his performance too , would Hayter have helped MGS5 for me ? nah, it would have made snake sound like snake at least , and since every other character in the game is doing a kiefer sutherland impression I might have been able to tell 2 actors apart during the tape story play back at least. Wouldn't have made the game enjoyable though.

Correction: Akio Ohtsuka is Snake.

And while Kojima and Hayter had apparently never ever met...

akio-otsuka-stefanie-uqq6d.jpg

hideo-kojima-and-akiofiqhp.jpg

akio-otsuka-birthday-rzoo4.jpg

download65rwq.jpg

download1prp1p.jpg

mgsv-tpp-hideo-kojimakwplz.jpg

According to the pros at Urban Dictionary:

Salty.
Top Definition:
pissed, upset

So the replacement wasn’t a total surprise, but Hayter was still pretty crushed. “It’s horrible. It’s humiliating.” Talking about fans asking if he’d played the latest game, Hayter said, “Yeah, that’d be 60 hours of humiliation I can’t wait to get to.”
Confused at all the people talking about Hayter being salty. Just re-stating what Hayer already said.

I'd give my left shoe if "Salty" was made ban-worthy. It's the same level as "u mad". Seriously. Who do I send my left shoe to? I will mail it first thing Monday.

Ridley327

And while Kojima and Hayter had apparently never ever met...

Didn't Kojima help to mediate an intervention between Otsuka and his estranged father that brought them back together and wound up having him voice Big Boss in MGS4? I thought I read something like that a while back, and I thought "goddamn, that's a real bro right there."

No. Sutherland sucked. Talk about a lifeless performance.

Which suited the game perfectly. I can't imagine how cringe-worthy MGSV would've been if Hayter's corny ass voice was in that game. Dude got worse and worse with each game he did, to the point where Peace Walker was fucking embarrassing.

So yeah, I feel bad for Hayter because he was thrown to the side (even though I understand why Kojima did so) but I'm not going to mourn his loss in Kojima's future games. Kojima should get some real voice actors, not just a screenwriter who does a little voice acting on the side.

Which suited the game perfectly. I can't imagine how cringe-worthy MGSV would've been if Hayter's corny ass voice was in that game. Dude got worse and worse with each game he did, to the point where Peace Walker was fucking embarrassing.

So yeah, I feel bad for Hayter because he was thrown to the side (even though I understand why Kojima did so) but I'm not going to mourn his loss in Kojima's future games. Kojima should get some real voice actors, not just a screenwriter who does a little voice acting on the side.

It is by no means little.

Ratrat

tell me how different does Vincent Price sound in this clip? Link.

Lung cancer for him btw. Some throat conditions can cause a change but otherwise most people sound almost the same as they age.
Is he also in the exclusive 'represent all humans' group with your mom? It would be even better if his aging accelerated +20 years. Really, in the end they a wanted a different voice because in spite of those exceptions you found, the common perception would be that 30 years of aging and smoking would change your voice. And he did change his voice and it sucked.

Ishida

Banned
Which suited the game perfectly. I can't imagine how cringe-worthy MGSV would've been if Hayter's corny ass voice was in that game. Dude got worse and worse with each game he did, to the point where Peace Walker was fucking embarrassing..

No, he didn't.

Wereroku

He's writing the black widow movie? That pretty cool.

Is he also in the exclusive 'represent all humans' group with your mom? It would be even better if his aging accelerated +20 years. Really, in the end they a wanted a different voice because in spite of those exceptions you found, the common perception would be that 30 years of aging and smoking would change your voice. And he did change his voice and it sucked.

Haha I give you a good example of a lifelong smoker who still sounds the same and you say the common perception is that it would sound different. Man I am glad you can accuse me of making shit up while you sit and do it yourself. Also Snake didn't have lung or throat cancer in MGS4 so why would his voice have any reason to change. Smoking itself doesn't magically alter your vocal cords it's the different diseases that it can cause.

Dremark

Banned
Didn't Kojima help to mediate an intervention between Otsuka and his estranged father that brought them back together and wound up having him voice Big Boss in MGS4? I thought I read something like that a while back, and I thought "goddamn, that's a real bro right there."

Yep. I was about to mention that actually. His late father (he passed away last year) was also a very well established veteran VA and considering the relationship between Snake and Big Boss it made a lot if sense to cast it that way, but yeah he did it as a favor to help him fix his relationship with his father.

PK Gaming

Hayter really needs to move on.

JAy5T6P.gif

"Hayter was a mistake. He is nothing but trash"

If I could make this meme a (super) bannable offense I would do it in a heartbeat.

I have no ill will towards the people who use it, but it is unbelievably, ridiculously bad.

Ishida

Banned

They keep asking him. So he keeps replying. It's not like he just begs for an interview to talk about Kojima and his work on the MG series. Every time he is interviewed, people keep asking the very same thing.

It's not him who needs to move on.

If you guys use a plumber for repairs a few times in a row do you call him up and tell him you're going with another contractor for your next repair? No, you just do it. This shit is business, not friendship.

Hayter is an average voice actor. I liked him as snake and wanted him back for nostalgic purposes, but it certainly doesn't make him a great voice actor. He's not pulling big starring roles in other games. If the creator wanted to move on that's that.

I'm not sure about that, but they do seem close. He actually seems quite friendly with a number of VO's. I fully expect that Otsuka, Stefanie and Donna will be part of whatever Kojima is working on next.

I like David as a person, I like him as a VA, but calling the game "60 hours of humiliation" is probably one of the most overly dramatic things I've read in a while.

Wereroku

If you guys use a plumber for repairs a few times in a row do you call him up and tell him you're going with another contractor for your next repair? No, you just do it. This shit is business, not friendship.

Hayter is an average voice actor. I liked him as snake and wanted him back for nostalgic purposes, but it certainly doesn't make him a great voice actor. He's not pulling big starring roles in other games. If the creator wanted to move on that's that.

If I had a plumber that I used 5 times in a row and always did a good job I would just call them up again. If I was a contractor and used the same plumber for all my work I probably would call him up if I was thinking of changing if it was about cost or something else.

I like David as a person, I like him as a VA, but calling the game "60 hours of humiliation" is probably one of the most overly dramatic things I've read in a while.

Why? If I worked on something for years and was then shit canned I would probably get humiliated if I watched/played the one I wasn't involved in. Especially if I get asked about it every time I am being interviewed.

SystemBug

If I could make this meme a (super) bannable offense I would do it in a heartbeat.

I have no ill will towards the people who use it, but it is unbelievably, ridiculously bad.

He's voice "acting" as Snake has always been bad.

Savitar

Kojima has always wanted to be part of Hollywood, he loves movies. It's been a big part of his life. It's what helped so many choices of his games, you only got to look at some of his earliest examples to where we are now. If he could he'd be making movies, but he'd flop if he did. Gaming is what he does because it's the best he can do and if he can get certain people to be part of them so much the better. It's why he did the VA change, because if he could he'd have all famous people being part of his works. In every aspect. Damnation to whoever had been in the role or part. He wants to be one of his legendary directors he adores. It doesn't take much to get it or what he wants.

Likewise we can tell Hayter really thinks a lot of his part in the series, that Snake is something he holds dear to him. An important part. He's not the first to have become attached to a role, it's happened in many media formats to many different people. It's a part of them, we all know how it is to have something taken from us or having to give up something we enjoy or love. So it's not hard to know his feelings on the matter either. He's passionate about it.

And Kojima is passionate about what he wants, hence the problem.

Kojima is there when they record the Japanese dub, he even alters the script during recording. He may not care about the English dub anymore than the Spanish one.
If only he had the same approach towards the localization of the scripts, though I wasn't clear if that more due to what he wanted or what Konami demanded. I haven't played 5 yet, but only the first MGS seemed more organic and less stilted in how it was written.

Not to take anything away from Hayter, but he's said that the voice acting work is like a fun hobby and screen writing is his main line of work that he really makes his living off of.

That isn't meant to devalue anything, just to put the monetary value if the work in perspective.

"A little voice acting on the side" means you do a few radio commercials. Hayter performed maybe THE most iconic VO role of all time, spanning more than a decade. If he said that, he was being very modest.

Corpekata

Banned
Kojima is there when they record the Japanese dub, he even alters the script during recording. He may not care about the English dub anymore than the Spanish one.

Given his fetishization of English Hollywood films and that he tried to get Kurt Russel on board, I think he's probably at least a bit invested in the English dub.

Wereroku

If only he had the same approach towards the localization of the scripts, though I wasn't clear if that more due to what he wanted or what Konami demanded. I haven't played 5 yet, but only the first MGS seemed more organic and less stilted in how it was written.

Hayter has talked about how they couldn't even give suggestions about the english dub even when it sounded horrible in english. But I was under the impression that was more with the us voice director then Kojima.

Given his fetishization of English Hollywood films and that he tried to get Kurt Russel on board, I think he's probably at least a bit invested in the English dub.

That wasn't until MGS3 though. Before that he didn't seem to be very involved with them.

According to the pros at Urban Dictionary:

Confused at all the people talking about Hayter being salty. Just re-stating what Hayer already said.

I'd give my left shoe if "Salty" was made ban-worthy. It's the same level as "u mad". Seriously. Who do I send my left shoe to? I will mail it first thing Monday.

Have you seen his tweets? He's constantly taking jabs at not being in MGSV. HE IS SALTY.

"A little voice acting on the side" means you do a few radio commercials. Hayter performed maybe THE most iconic VO role of all time, spanning more than a decade. If he said that, he was being very modest.

As an actor myself, I'd say he makes more money and gets more creative licence from writing/re-writing + selling scripts in L.A than doing the V.O of Snake. Something that would be half a week or so of studio time at the absolute max.

PK Gaming

They keep asking him. So he keeps replying. It's not like he just begs for an interview to talk about Kojima and his work on the MG series. Every time he is interviewed, people keep asking the very same thing.

It's not him who needs to move on.

I feel for him, and it's definitely not an easy thing to do with people constantly pestering, but he should probably just got MGS out of his life.

He's voice "acting" as Snake has always been bad.

Debatable. But we can both agree that meme is the worst, the worst, the worst.

Well, I don't think he should associate with MGS5 if he really cared about the series. It's first ever MGS games that I didn't buy on launch date. I bought it on black Friday and started playing it,but I couldn't even go through the game very well. spoilers:
stopped when big Boss rescues Dr.Emmerich
. I tried continuing a few times, but it just didn't have the same pull of the previous games.

It felt too much like assassin Creed, and many other sand box games from last gen. It didn't have that MGS feeling that I had with all previous 4 games. Also big Boss have barely spoken anything in the game. I mean, you can probably write down everything big Boss says throughout the game and it won't even fill a couple of pages. That excludes all the duplicate dialogue which is plenty!

Ratrat

Haha I give you a good example of a lifelong smoker who still sounds the same and you say the common perception is that it would sound different. Man I am glad you can accuse me of making shit up while you sit and do it yourself. Also Snake didn't have lung or throat cancer in MGS4 so why would his voice have any reason to change. Smoking itself doesn't magically alter your vocal cords it's the different diseases that it can cause.
You dont think thats a common perception huh? Okay. The game with smoke warnings and mechanics wherein your health diminshes when smoking is suggesting its not taking a toll on him. The game is supposed to be about him dying and showing a strong contrast to what he was. But because your mom is different he should sound like he did 30 years ago.

Dawg

I think there's more going on. Clash between two egos. Didn't Hayter once offered to make the MGS movie script but was turned down right away?

Also noticeable how I've never really seen Kojima talk much about Hayter.

Wereroku

You dont think thats a common perception huh? Okay. The game with smoke warnings and mechanics wherein your health diminshes when smoking is suggesting its not taking a toll on him. The game is supposed to be about him dying and showing a strong contrast to what he was. But because your mom is different he should sound like he did 30 years ago.

Jesus you are just determined to make a point and not admit you are wrong. Smoking can cause health problems but even a lot of them will not cause a change in your voice. Also aging will not usually cause a change since your first point was more the age range then his health. Dude just let it go you are just going to argue in circles at this point and ignore anything I show you.

Ratrat

Snake is based on Kurt Russell, whether or not there was a serious attempt, it at least makes sense. There isn't much reason to believe Kojima cared about the English dub until they started doing face capture for V.
Jesus you are just determined to make a point and not admit you are wrong. Smoking can cause health problems but even a lot of them will not cause a change in your voice. Also aging will not usually cause a change since your first point was more the age range then his health. Dude just let it go you are just going to argue in circles at this point and ignore anything I show you.
Your initial argument was comparing MGS to a sitcom, which was wrong as there are already 3 Snake protagonists and god knows how many clones not voiced by Hayter. You than suggested that because smoking, aging and dying hasn't affected two people and that Hayter shouldn't have had to change his voice or be replaced when he did it badly in the first place. I don't think I've argued anything further than saying it would make much more sense for a dying old man to sound different, it fits with themes of the game. It must have been very frustrating for you seeing what they did to Eva's and Ocelot's voices.

Neogaf rules

1. Always use the dark theme, ya dingus

2. Reply to every food related thread with that same photo of that football player in the red jersey

3. Don't talk shit about Hideo Kojima even if he deserves it

4. Dank memes

Honestly, if it's any consolation, he only voiced Snake in the non-awful MGS games.

All the more reason to ignore MGSV like the awful bastard, stepchild when looking at the series as a whole.

Top Bottom