• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar viewership drops 4% from last year; hits 9 year low

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's boring and irrelevant.

If you care, you can see the results without watching hours of blowjobs. Everyone else doesn't care about the films nominated each year.

Not to mention two things:

1) I think TV in general is down all across the board. People don't 'tune' into broadcasts like they used. Clips, archives, etc. are taking a lot away from live viewership.

2) I think the whole Hollywood smugness is getting to some people. Multimillionaires with celebrity status patting each other on the back and not getting why the 'common man' doesn't fall in line with their beliefs.

Arrival box-office gross: $196 million
Hidden Figures box-office gross: $182 million
Hacksaw Ridge box-office gross: $175 million
Lion box-office gross: $89 million

A full half of the nominees were ~$100,000,000+, tbqh.

This year had a $250M+ grossing film up for BP--and actually, the odds-on favourite to win.

Yeah but compared to last year where we had The Revenant, The Martian, and Mad Max?

I wonder how ratings track with median domestic box office receipts. Somebody must have done the work before.

1) I think TV in general is down all across the board. People don't 'tune' into broadcasts like they used. Clips, archives, etc. are taking a lot away from live viewership.

2) I think the whole Hollywood smugness is getting to people. Multimillionaires with celebrity status patting each other on the back and not getting why the 'common man' doesn't fall in line with their beliefs.

Sounds like some Trump bullshit. Plenty of the "common man" are very much in line with "their" beliefs.

Just have a best picture that you might have actually seen category. Set the threshold as 150 or 200 million domestic box office. Make the the second biggest award.

The Oscars used to be dominated by movies with mass appeal. Not so much anymore.

Best Picture

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Captain America: Civil War
Suicide Squad
La La Land
Deadpool
Suicide Squad
Sausage Party
Finding Dory
Zootopia

2) I think the whole Hollywood smugness is getting to some people. Multimillionaires with celebrity status patting each other on the back and not getting why the 'common man' doesn't fall in line with their beliefs.

And yet, you still go see their movies despite the pettiness.

CloudWolf

Just have a best picture that you might have actually seen category. Set the threshold as 150 or 200 million domestic box office. Make the the second biggest award.

The Oscars used to be dominated by movies with mass appeal. Not so much anymore.

Mass appeal is boring and the Oscars agree.... unless it comes to animation, then Disney is pretty much the only thing that matters.

The goal of Oscars is not viewership, it's to honor the best movies.

What you describe seems horrible.

And when were they dominated my movies with mass appeal? Not in my lifetime.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Purists won't like it, but they need to start acknowledging movies people actually watch and care about. Even if they're not considered "good movies".

Not that all Oscar winning movies are actually good movies.

Boke1879

First off they need to start allowing people to stream it. It's a disgrace that we still can't do it.

I literally didn't watch it. I just was parked here and on Twitter.

Also the show doesn't need to be damn near 4 hours long.

get that hipster trash la la land out of there sir

It's ok cuz Finding Dory would win just to appease Trump. It's his favorite movie.
Purists won't like it, but they need to start acknowledging movies people actually watch and care about. Even if they're not considered "good movies".

And not all movies that make money are good movies. We complain that Game Awards focus way too much on AAA games.

number11

No one wants to watch a 4 hour award show. The lesser categories deserve recognition, but most people aren't gonna care about who wins best foreign short

The format of a 3-4 hour live show just isn't congruent with the way people consume media today. Note that it doesn't mean people don't care about the Oscars as they pertain to awards given to movies people see throughout the year, it's just that they don't specifically tune in to the live broadcast on TV to get that info. They could just as well do whatever the fuck and get livetweets that way.

It's just a sign of the changing times. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, and I don't know how one could change the format to make it more palatable because it's kind of antithetical to how people consume media today.

Boke1879

To your point about number 2. It's an awards show nobody cares about all that shit.

Again what they need to do is let people stream it and shorten the show. I'm always interested in what wins, but why do I even need to watch it when I can see who won on Twitter as it's happening?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Also, outside of shorting it to two hours. Add in more awards. 8 Technical awards do not make sense. Add in best stuntwork, split up visual effects into physical and digital, etc. Actually reward the people that make the films and cut out some time for the actors.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine if you cut down the 18-49 range to 18-30 it would absolutely plummet.

The younger generations just aren't really interested in this kind of thing anymore.

The Oscars are no different than any other company awards, except that people care enough to watch these. Just like the car industry gives awards, the movie industry does too. The people making the choices aren't thinking about ratings, they are trying to pick the best movies.

skynidas

Banned
You joke, but that wouldn't be such a bad idea, especially if they can get rid of commercial breaks.
Not joking, I think if done right it would work. People being all sarcastic with the game awards thing... the problem with the game awards are not the trailers, it's everything else.

The shilling of trailers is one of the many reasons The Game Awards are not great. On a night where they're supposed to be honoring the best of the year they still make sure to try to sell you on the NEXT BIG THING.

Why is it a bad thing for prestigious awards to go to movies that didn't net 9 figures domestic? This post reads like the mindset of people who lose their minds on gaming side when a top 10 list comes out and a mobile/indie game gets as much/more prominence than a AAA title that sold tens of millions of copies.

And if we're comparing 'used to be' to 'not anymore' we also need to look at what happened to the domestic box office. Sequels dominate and it feels a little pointless to reduce an oscar to a seal of approval on something that is increasingly only superheroes and talking animal movies. I'm not sure that really improves the experience of watching it get handed out on TV. Maybe what's dying is the audience for live awards show in general, and nothing is really going to bring back people who back in the early 90's might have chuckled at Billy Crystal jokes.

I also think that Gregg Turkington was able to salvage "Our Cinema Oscar Special" without Tim Heidecker, and that a return to the film buff expertise overshadowed the ceremony itself.

I anticipate the Oscars every year in the same sense that others look forward to the Super Bowl. The only thing that bores me are those dreadful music performances. People complain but don't even bother to watch the movies nominated. It's always fun to have a pony in the race.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
They ought to turn the oscars into an olynpic type of deal where the nominated actors have to compete in acting related events over the course of multiple weeks, would be pretty cool

DrSlek

Yeah, I wouldn't want to sit through 2+ hours of Jimmy Kimmel either.

They ought to turn the oscars into an olynpic type of deal where the nominated actors have to compete in acting related events over the course of multiple weeks, would be pretty cool

They had this in the game Caesar 3. They called it the Thespian Games...and I still can't figure out if they were a real event way back in the day.

aeolist

Banned
the whole thing is a ridiculous political farce of old assholes patting themselves on the back

i love movies and there's literally nothing appealing about the academy awards

old

on too fucking late. 8 to 12:30pm on a worknight? no fucking way

start it at 7 or 6 if youre going that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom