• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar viewership drops 4% from last year; hits 9 year low

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaterTots

Banned
I know its anecdotal and all, but my redneck co workers were saying they turned it off because of political jokes and etc. Heard it a ton today. However, I also live in a deep red state.

SDCowboy

I know its anecdotal and all, but my redneck co workers were saying they turned it off because of political jokes and etc. Heard it a ton today. However, I also live in a deep red state.

I'm turned off by the politics. It has nothing to do with being a redneck or not.

SDCowboy

Something a Trump voter would say...
I voted for Hillary and live in CA...

We can have politics in movies now either? What's next, no politics in books? Music?
My point is not EVERYTHING needs to be hyper political. It's gotten beyond tiring, and ratings are likely sagging because others are tired of it also (among other reasons). A movie award show is very different than music and individual movies are.

TaterTots

Banned
We can have politics in movies now either? What's next, no politics in books? Music?

Not the movies, but hearing constant political jokes was blah. Sometimes I just want to take a breath and escape the problems we have, but I'm reminded at every turn. I'm getting exhausted.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I voted for Hillary and live in CA...

My point is not EVERYTHING needs to be hyper political. It's gotten beyond tiring, and ratings are likely sagging because others are tired of it also (among other reasons). A movie award show is very different than music and individual movies are.
Good, than you should be applauding them for talking shit about Trump. He must not allow to be normalised.

Not the movies, but hearing constant political jokes was blah. Sometimes I just want to take a breath and escape the problems we have, but I'm reminded at every turn. I'm getting exhausted.
Good. Don't blame the people talking about politics, blame the person who caused all this: Trump.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I think that it's not a content problem -- it's a format problem. Who the fuck wants to watch an 87 hour telecast filled with commercials just to hear rich people thank their rich managers? Awards telecasts are deeply, deeply bad and a stupendous waste of time. Anyone interested in the content can get both the results and the notable happenings a few hours later on a highlight reel. Now add in a generation of people who don't ever deal with commercials or watch anything live, and further for whom famous means YouTube star, and I think you have a product well past its prime.

This is funny because one of the commercials they aired a couple of times during the Oscars featured a YouTube.

SDCowboy

Good, than you should be applauding them for talking shit about Trump. He must not allow to be normalised.

No thanks. I'm tired of hearing about it constantly. The show should be a fun night about movies, and an escape. I don't need to hear Trump bashing constantly. I'm tired of it, as are many others, regardless of who they voted for. I don't watch the Oscars for political rants.

The point has been made. We get it. If a show is going to be strongly political, I'm just not going to watch it. It's simple as that.

Good. Don't blame the people talking about politics, blame the person who caused all this: Trump.

It's an award show to give people awards for making movies. Not for being political. These people write, act, and produce movies. And other people in the industry give them awards for it. Why do you think people want to hear some political speech or joke in a show where actors are being rewarded with awards for playing pretend in front of a camera? Why do they care what some actor has to say about our political climate just because they won an award for best supporting actor?

If I save somebody's life from a car crash this evening, and my local news puts me on the 6 o clock news to shine some light on my good act, do you think the people watching the news want to hear how I saved the person, or my thoughts about how bad Trump is for this country?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just have a best picture that you might have actually seen category. Set the threshold as 150 or 200 million domestic box office. Make the the second biggest award.

The Oscars used to be dominated by movies with mass appeal. Not so much anymore.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason I didn't watch this year. Not that I want them to turn it into the Grammys of course. I wouldn't mind a "Best Blockbuster" catagory.

Looking back, every two to three years there was a Best Picture awarded to a classic that's still commonly watched and talked about to this day. But in the last 10 years, I don't think i've heard any of the winners mentioned outside of the context of academy awards.

Maybe that's just the state of movies. Most of the culture defining stuff seems to be TV now, like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

The Dark Knight and Mad Max Fury Road were the only real opportunities to let blockbuster stuff win without it being insane.

No thanks. I'm tired of hearing about it constantly. The show should be a fun night about movies, and an escape. I don't need to hear Trump bashing constantly. I'm tired of it, as are many others, regardless of who they voted for. I don't watch the Oscars for political rants.

The point has been made. We get it. If a show is going to be strongly political, I'm just not going to watch it. It's simple as that.

The director of the best foreign language film was affected by the muslim ban. Of course they should speak out against Trump when they have the platform to do so.

One moment from last night that I think is relevant here is when the tour group came through, and Kimmel said to them that they could put their phones away and stop recording because they were on TV. To which one guy responded that he knew and wanted to record anyways. People prefer their own recordings of things to the TV versions. It's more personal.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

If you thought that Oscar telecast was strongly political, you're lucky you weren't around for the Reagan years.

Hell, the entire "The Oscar goes to" instead of "The winner is" thing was presented as a shot at Bush Sr.'s "kinder, gentler nation" sound bite. The Oscars have always been a very political show.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's because whoooo cares.

Also cord cutting plays a factor into it I'm sure, but also feeds into the first line of this post.

Good on them for bashing Trump though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's because whoooo cares.

Also cord cutting plays a factor into it I'm sure, but also feeds into the first line of this post.

This is probably the biggest factor. If you didn't have a subscription to some kind of TV service it was borderline impossible to watch a stream of it. ABC is stuck in the 20th century in that regard.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is about viewership, that's why I mentioned more popular movies getting more attention.

So this is taking a while and I'll try to update later, but here is domestic box office ranking for best picture noms 1980-1990 compared to this year. Also having more nominees should help 2017, but even so it's an outlier.

2017- 18, 20, 29, 46, 57

80- 1- 4- 19- 35- 41
81- 7- 11- 25- 27- 33
82- 1, 2, 7, 13, 55
83- 1, 2, 11, 12, 56
84- 2, 13, 33, 78, 100
85- 12, 24, 25, 34, 47
86- 4, 5, 8, 32, 53
87- 3, 30, 32, 44, 52
88- 2, 5, 18, 25, 88
89- 1, 11, 32, 33, 100+
90- 8, 10, 17, 19, 68

I can fill out the ones that were top 10 box office:

91- Beauty and the Beast (3), The Silence of the Lambs (5)
92-
93- The Fugitive (3), Schindler's List (4)
94- Forrest Gump(2), Four Weddings and a Funeral (8)
95- Apollo 13 (3)
96- Jerry Maguire (9)
97- Titanic (1), As Good as It Gets (6), The Full Monty (10)
98- Saving Private Ryan (2), Shakespeare in Love (9)
99- The Sixth Sense (2), American Beauty (9)
00- Gladiator (2)
01- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2)
02- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (1)
03- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (1)
04-
05-
06-
07-
08-
(Expanded best picture category from 5 nominees to 9)
09- Avatar (1), Up (6)
10- Toy Story 3 (1), Inception (4)
11-
12-
13-
14-
15- The Martian(10)
16-

Though it might say more about modern day moviegoers than it does about the academy awards.

If I save somebody's life from a car crash this evening, and my local news puts me on the 6 o clock news to shine some light on my good act, do you think the people watching the news want to hear how I saved the person, or my thoughts about how bad Trump is for this country?

Jonathan swift level irony here.

Well it turned out people wanted to hear what reality tv star had to say and elected him. Maybe you can get elected president using your new found limelight too. Or at least a governorship

Jonathan swift level irony here.

Well it turned out people wanted to hear what reality tv star had to say and elected him. Maybe you can get elected president using your new found limelight too. Or at least a governorship

Difference is those people didn't tune in and watch a movie award show to hear what that "reality tv star" had to say. They went to political rallies and watched political tv shows wanting to hear what he had to say. Don't remember seeing Trump accepting any awards at the Oscars or Grammy or Tony's or Golden Globes and then giving a political speech.

Brinbe

Yeah, not surprising. Most people aren't up on any of these best picture films these days. I'd say most people don't know what the fuck a Moonlight is.

Their loss, tbh. It's a reflection on society and what people watch these days. Probably the same idiotic uncouth cohort that supports Trump.

Ironically this was the first time I ever watched the show on its entirety, through the Double Toasted livestream. Then again, that doesn't count as official viewership.
That counts for me!

I could only watch E3 through Giantbomb's commentary.

I like the Oscars pretty much every year. I love film, and while they don't represent the full range of what I love in a given year, it's still a great change to reflect on a lot of the great stuff that came along and honor the people responsible.

I get tired of all this talk of what they need to do to get a larger audience, because fuck the larger audience. I don't want yet another good thing ruined to attract more viewers. If you don't like it, watch something else. Everything you don't like doesn't need to be changed to suit you.

mreddie

"They were focused so hard on politics that they didn't get the act together at the end," Trump said in an interview with Breitbart News. "It was a little sad. It took away from the glamour of the Oscars."

Of course...

hawk2025

What I'm getting from a portion of this thread:

"They are letting the Mexican and the Iranian speak! I can't handle that!"

You can have your fucking unbridled escapism when people aren't being hurt, thank you very much.

You don't get to ask actors, directors, and writers to dance for you while simultaneously suppressing their opinions.

ahoyle77

I can fill out the ones that were top 10 box office:

91- Beauty and the Beast (3), The Silence of the Lambs (5)
92-
93- The Fugitive (3), Schindler's List (4)
94- Forrest Gump(2), Four Weddings and a Funeral (8)
95- Apollo 13 (3)
96- Jerry Maguire (9)
97- Titanic (1), As Good as It Gets (6), The Full Monty (10)
98- Saving Private Ryan (2), Shakespeare in Love (9)
99- The Sixth Sense (2), American Beauty (9)
00- Gladiator (2)
01- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2)
02- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (1)
03- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (1)
04-
05-
06-
07-
08-
(Expanded best picture category from 5 nominees to 9)
09- Avatar (1), Up (6)
10- Toy Story 3 (1), Inception (4)
11-
12-
13-
14-
15- The Martian(10)
16-

Though it might say more about modern day moviegoers than it does about the academy awards.

Ahhh...Thanks. so in the past 6 years there has been one top 10 movie nominated. There really should be a concerted effort to nominate 2 or 3 mass market movies. If they want the Oscars to maintain popularity. I get the argument that they are awarding art and it's not based off box office. But if you want your show to be accessible to the masses, you might have to compromise.

Helmholtz

Honestly, good, they need to seriously cut a lot of the awards out of the main broadcast. I'm sorry but very very few people give a shit about short films or even documentaries, and while the technical awards are important and all, some of those need to go too. 3+ hours to get the best picture is just unacceptable. Broadcast the major awards that people care about and that's it.

It's an award show to give people awards for making movies. Not for being political. These people write, act, and produce movies. And other people in the industry give them awards for it. Why do you think people want to hear some political speech or joke in a show where actors are being rewarded with awards for playing pretend in front of a camera? Why do they care what some actor has to say about our political climate just because they won an award for best supporting actor?

That isn't really valid. People are using their platform to do something that they think is good or important to do.

Elwainen

Would have been a lot higher if you could have watched online. I wanted to but I'm at college without a TV. I don't understand why they would do this and I'm kinda mad I didn't get to see it.

It's too long. They need to cut out the musical numbers. They're the worst part of the whole thing. That would cut at least a half hour + the commercials that go along with them.

hiredhand

maybe ill start supporting this or movies when hollywood stops pretending hispanics don't exist.
I guess you are talking about just the acting categories but in the last five years hispanics have won 3 best director and 3 best cinematography Oscars.

It's quite interesting that Chazelle was the first American man to win best director since the Coens in 2008.

Madness

The Oscar are boring as fuck

More like people are just over a bunch of celebrities patting themselves on the back. Aren't all awards shows down? Days don't just revolve around Oscars Sunday anymore. With cable, streaming there are other viewing opportunities.

Lots of edgy folks in this thread.

Honestly, they just need to make it streamable. I have Sling, Netflix, and Hulu and I still couldn't access the awards. Not everyone that's interested in seeing the winners has a cable antenna, let alone a cable subscription needed to watch it via ABC's proprietary app. They need to make it a free event if they care about retaining those that unplugged. And honestly? I don't think what someone else suggested as far as it being an event to show off new trailers is too bad of an idea. I know the Academy would be opposed to it, but it'd probably garner some more viewers.

And yeah, it wouldn't help to be more economical with their time. But that's always been a problem with the Oscars.

There has and will always be a segment of the population that feels like the Oscars are masturbatory and overly political. Offering this up as an answer is missing the mark, I feel like, especially when other "masturbatory" events like the Golden Globes had an amazing year recently.

Lots of edgy folks in this thread.

Honestly, they just need to make it streamable. I have Sling, Netflix, and Hulu and I still couldn't access the awards. Not everyone that's interested in seeing the winners has a cable antenna, let alone a cable subscription needed to watch it via ABC's proprietary app. They need to make it a free event if they care about retaining those that unplugged. And honestly? I don't think what someone else suggested as far as it being an event to show off new trailers is too bad of an idea. I know the Academy would be opposed to it, but it'd probably garner some more viewers.

And yeah, it wouldn't help to be more economical with their time. But that's always been a problem with the Oscars.

There has and will always be a segment of the population that feels like the Oscars are masturbatory and overly political. Offering this up as an answer is missing the mark, I feel like, especially when other "masturbatory" events like the Golden Globes had an amazing year recently.

They probably would have gotten me watching it if I knew where to stream

No one wants to watch an "awards" show that is mostly just hours of celebrities talking about what other celebrities are hanging around the ceremony. Cut the show down and focus more on the actual movies of the year.

Award shows are awful a giant circle jerk for celebrities. Thanks to newer services and technology there are better options than to "have" to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom