• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

Oh, Dear PS fans trying to clutch at any straw. If MS wanted to keep all future COD games on the PS, they'll come and it say it, period.
These are all nice words to get the deal done and over the line and then in 2023 COD will only be on Xbox/PC & Cloud.

So PS fans just do what you liked to tell Xbox fans to do last-gen, Buy both consoles and then also tell SONY they need more exclusives and to buy more studios now too
What goes around, comes around ...

MonarchJT

Banned
You are being so willfully obtuse that you can't possibly be this thick (or maybe on this board we only use the word thicc...)

So what part of an 8 billion dollar non-platform declining video game company is worth more than a 25 billion dollar platform, industry-defining and still growing video game company? Ignore the parent company. You think they would sell for less than roughly 2.7 their annual revenue multiple? If you actually think that you seriously have no clue about the world you live in. That is the point I am trying to get across to you, and anyone reading this. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm saying you're woefully ignorant in the tech/software realm. If you need info about tech valuations and what things are like for software multiples feel free to ask or do some research.

Something else it seems you are failing to understand. Activision wanted out. No one else would buy them. Yes, other companies could afford it but no, no one wanted it. By many accounts, they tried to shop themselves around and then returned to Microsoft when there were no other takers.

Furthermore you said CoD was the most important game in the world. Ladies and gentlemen, behold, the most important game in the world:

MS is putting a heavy spin on this but the fact of the matter is Activision wanted out, they saw no future for themselves where they could grow, and if you look at their recent results they are sharply declining, and only MS was willing to buy them. Those are just the facts.

Get a grip dude. This is not going to do what you want it to do. To anyone that likes this deal simply because of the idea you think it might hurt Sony, you are being a loser. And just to show you that I am coming at this from a place of impartiality and analysis, feel free to add me on XB Live anytime. You can probably guess my handle. Even though I think you're way in the tank for a corporation, which I think is beyond silly, I will happily add anyone on this board to my XBL friends list, or PS+ Friends list. I do not give a (green?) rat's ass about Sony.
ok ...an useless wall of text. How do you think companies on the stock exchange are valued? and why do you think Sony is worth 140b? ...my God.

Last edited:
Honour existing agreements.

After that Sony get fuck all.
The question of how long existing agreements are is probably the relevant one.

Could just be a year. Could be for the lifetime of PS5. No one knows, and neither Microsoft nor Activision Blizzard really want to publicly say but we might find out while the acquisition is being investigated by regulators.

assurdum

Banned
Don't kid yourself. ALL of those games would exist without Sony's money. It's been widely reported that they called everyone looking to buy exclusives. They didn't call people asking them what abandoned or troubled game could they throw money at to help bring back to life.

The Street Fighter 5 example is the closest to a 'game that wouldn't exist' without Sony's money as it was spun exactly that way, but I seriously doubt the biggest fighting game of all time would have just ended without Sony supporting them.
It's fanboystic try to say who buy publisher practically to steal the exclusive of AAA titles from the free market it's like who invest to produce a new one. Every time it's the same pathetic absurd comparison by the same well known Xbox fanboys just to defend such horrible practice. The last time Sony did something like this was in the psx era if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
its forever. Playstaion is the number one platform for cod. They wont touch the current rev generating franchises. New, unproven , unreleased games or old ip revived are a different story as those do not factor into the current revenue generating numbers.

Most here arent looking at this as a business. It didnt make sense to block minecraft on platforms where it had already been for sale.
you are very wrong that you have not even idea or just naive or worst so obsessed with the Sony brand that does not see reality even when it is shown in front of it. post saved.
This is that nonsense of "Ms can't leave Sony money on the table" all over again....proved already wrong the first time with Bethesda.
I'll explain you here If PlayStation won't allow gamepass on their console (and at this point in 2023 I think they will) Sony can forget about Cod (minus warzone) Spyro, crash and all the rest....in addition to the next new entry of elder scrolls, doom, fallout Wolfenstein and all the other ex multiplat famous bethesda games.
If you want 100% be sure to play those games at 9.99 month ..buy an Xbox or a gaming pc.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
Same reasons we all have cross gen, the reward is much much higher than risking a normal transition to new gen, they decided to take a PURE BUSINESS ROUTE, short term (high profit) with consequences.

Same reasons why minecraft is a multiplatform.

All of these falls in The nature of Ms steps , ms are always making PURE BUSINESS DECISIONS, Regardless of contracts, It is more logical (even statements elude to this scenario as the likely outcome) that Microsoft will milk the franchise in both sides as much as possible before thinking about moving it as console exclusive. Cod is just like minecraft, if you moved it as a game pass service in HOPE that the kids move to Microsoft than your HIGH RISK is much higher than the HIGH profit that you WILL gain as a HUGE multiplat. Bethesda games are not in the same league as cod and minecraft, that's why it is more likely that cod will stay multiplat like minecraft at least throughout this gen. These statements even if they have a small degree of vagueness and even if they are business calculated lies by phil, these statements support this scenario more than the other scenarios.. even if they move it and sony take a hit, so what, if you embrace these dark times you will come out of it stronger ( sony shouldn't react to this bullying in the same manner ). Microsoft is still fixing their mistakes unnaturally. Sony shouldn't follow suit and should seek to strengthen it self naturally. Sony should avoid unsatisfying greed.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If PlayStation won't allow gamepass on their console (and at this point in 2023 I think they will)...

I'm really curious how people envision Game Pass working on PlayStation.

-Only games exclusive to Microsoft?
-Native apps or streaming only?
-What's Sony's cut of Game Pass subscription?
-Does Sony get a cut of sold games, DLC, MTX?
-Do MP games not need PSN+?
-How will it integrate with existing GPU subscriptions and purchases?

Maybe a better discussion for its' own thread but I'm just not seeing Sony's angle for allowing Game Pass in their ecosystem. I doubt making their userbase happy is enough.

Gamepass is great but hypothetically, if it DID go on PS, how would it even work? Would the titles be downloadable or is it all streaming? How would DLC work? Is it bought through PS or Xbox. Players would earn gamer points over trophies? If its streaming I can't imagine many cod fans happy with the extra lag. Cod is not the type of game you want to be streaming.

Withnail

Maybe a better discussion for its' own thread but I'm just not seeing Sony's angle for allowing Game Pass in their ecosystem. I doubt making their userbase happy is enough.

Exactly, streaming I could understand but I have no idea how people think MS distributing native apps on PS would work, it's fundamentally incompatible with the console business model.

MilkyJoe

The question of how long existing agreements are is probably the relevant one.

Could just be a year. Could be for the lifetime of PS5. No one knows, and neither Microsoft nor Activision Blizzard really want to publicly say but we might find out while the acquisition is being investigated by regulators.

yep, but the caveat is "existing agreements" business is business.

Topher

Gold Member

xCloud is the only possible way and even that would be farfetched. Otherwise, how is it Microsoft is going to offer a subscription to PlayStation gamers consisting of PlayStation version of games on PlayStation consoles? That's is ultimately what we are saying and it is absurd.

The only other possibility I can think of is a Game Pass Lite version. It would be like EA Play, but for Microsoft and only consist of select Microsoft games that are going to be on PlayStation anyway such as Call of Duty, Minecraft, Diablo for a much lower price.

octiny

Banned
Yeah, I don't believe for a second MS wants full blown GP on PS despite what someone has "heard". MS wouldn't already be planning consoles after Series if that was true. There would be zero reason to own an Xbox console. A cloud version possibly, which would give a sliver of taste of what it's like to own an Xbox to entice people over, but even that's far fetched.

I think this will all come down to negotiation "you stop money hatting these games, and we'll let you keep COD".

GymWolf

I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements

How do you say sony your are fucked after 2023 without saying sony you are fucked after 2023.

Neat.

MonarchJT

Banned

or you make them happy or they will start bleeding users. I don't see a lush and competitive possible future without the possibility of playing famous games like those. Let's face it, the same people who write today knowing they are lying "everything is okay" are the same who would have declared the Xbox 100% dead instantly as a brand if the opposite were happening. Surely the PlayStation brand is much stronger and it takes time to realize what is happening. And the scariest thing is that I don't think Microsoft is done with the acquisitions.

as for gp on ps:

I think that the catalog would remain unchanged. the fact that the service works so well is due to the quantity, quality and above all the diversification of the catalog itself. a service with the only Ms exclusives would not be gamepass.

The two consoles are essentially identical in architecture and just like on Xbox would have native and streaming options. How do you think cross-platform developers have done so far until today?

I think Sony would earn a little less (25%?) than it would earn on its store but in any case a share on each monthly subscription.

I don't think they would add the ability to purchase the games outside of the subscription and therefore you would not have discount on the Sony shop , if you want a game you have to buy it on the ps store but you certainly can't buy Forza Horizon 5 or the dlcs outside the gamepass. There would be games that are absolutely exclusive to the Microsoft platform that you can't buy outside of gamepass. Sony would take a portion of the MTX in-game transactions of the games within gamepass

yes they need as you need ultimate or gold on Xbox. There could be two cards for the ultimate pairing, one that activates multiplayer on PS and one that activates multiplayer on Xbox or increase the ultimate subscription by a few dollars so as to incirporate both possibilities

What you mean by GPU purchases ? if they add PlayStation to the list it will be added to the ultimate as a device (so maybe with the excuse they will increase the cost by a few euros)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
xCloud is the only possible way and even that would be farfetched. Otherwise, how is it Microsoft is going to offer a subscription to PlayStation gamers consisting of PlayStation version of games on PlayStation consoles? That's is ultimately what we are saying and it is absurd.

The only other possibility I can think of is a Game Pass Lite version. It would be like EA Play, but for Microsoft and only consist of select Microsoft games that are going to be on PlayStation anyway such as Call of Duty, Minecraft, Diablo for a much lower price.

I still even doubt that as Sony's going to want a cut of the subscription, needs to insure it adds "value" to PSN+ (MP), and if what Microsoft is to be believed, Game Pass leads to a lot of addon sales (outright purchases, DLC, MTX), Sony would want a cut of that too. Further if the Spartacus rumors are true, they'll have their own competing service to Game Pass.

Elios83

Easy way, Gamepass Lite including only Microsoft games and not other third party games so that Sony won't lose the software profits coming from non-Microsoft games.
And you can only get access to it as a tier of their own Spartacus service so an other issue is solved with the disparity of 70$ on one side and subscription on the other.
Access could be granted only through a subscription to a Sony service as well.

EA Play at some point was considered impossible to happen because it was considered competition to PS+ and it happened.
PC games happened. They'll find a business deal if they don't want to lose certain games.

Last edited:

I would say:
- Only Microsoft console exclusives
- xCloud only or if not time consuming/expensive native
- No PS+ needed
- Very little cut for the service and no cut for other things

Sony's goal is it not to lose customers to Xbox and Microsoft is much more intersted in more Game Pass subscribers than in hardware sales. Even if that just prevents PS5 owners from getting a Series as second console Sony profits, because if people get Game Pass on that Series Sony will sell less games.

bender

What time is it?
I think that the catalog would remain unchanged. the fact that the service works so well is due to the quantity, quality and above all the diversification of the catalog itself. a service with the only Ms exclusives would not be gamepass.

What you mean by GPU purchases ? if they add PlayStation to the list it will be added to the ultimate as a device (so maybe with the excuse they will increase the cost by a few euros)

I'd put the odds of the full Game Pass catalogue being available on PlayStation around 0%. Most of those games are for sale on Sony's platform and they take the normal platform holder cut. Further, it sounds like they have a Game Pass alternative in the works.

For the second, does GPU (Xbox/PC) entitle me to GPP(laystation) or is that a separate subscription or tier to Game Pass? Another tier might solve the compensation issue back to Sony.

Topher

Gold Member
I still even doubt that as Sony's going to want a cut of the subscription, needs to insure it adds "value" to PSN+ (MP), and if what Microsoft is to be believed, Game Pass leads to a lot of addon sales (outright purchases, DLC, MTX), Sony would want a cut of that too. Further if the Spartacus rumors are true, they'll have their own competing service to Game Pass.

The revenue sharing is a major sticking point either way. I agree with you. This just isn't feasible.

The two consoles are essentially identical in architecture and just like on Xbox would have native and streaming options.

Beyond the minor hardware differences, the games are built using entirely different APIs and run on completely different operating systems. An Xbox game isn't going to run on PlayStation without being ported.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
They would make money indirectly. Another advantage: Microsoft would most likely stop making timed exclusive deals and Sony could also stop this expensive useless shit.

You'd get a fraction of a subscription service versus your own subscription service or product sale. Doubt.gif.

MonarchJT

Banned
The revenue sharing is a major sticking point either way. I agree with you. This just isn't feasible.

Beyond the minor hardware differences, the games are built using entirely different APIs and run on completely different operating systems. An Xbox game isn't going to run on PlayStation without being ported.
multiplats developer doing this from decades is not a prob

MonarchJT

Banned
I'd put the odds of the full Game Pass catalogue being available on PlayStation around 0%. Most of those games are for sale on Sony's platform and they take the normal platform holder cut. Further, it sounds like they have a Game Pass alternative in the works.

For the second, does GPU (Xbox/PC) entitle me to GPP(laystation) or is that a separate subscription or tier to Game Pass? Another tier might solve the compensation issue back to Sony.
Sony would take a little less % that would take from their store (also Ms have to earn) ..Microsoft may use data showing that game sales grow after gamepass is used
Sony would have a cheaper rival service (Spartacus) with all their exclusives that would exclude a thrid party library so as to save the money and equalize the small losses (the difference in percentage of earnings compared to their store)

Last edited:
I think Sony would earn a little less (25%?) than it would earn on its store but in any case a share on each monthly subscription.
That would almost certainly take GamePass from something where the numbers make sense (break even or better) to massively in the red, even if they had 100 million subscribers all paying at full price.

I’m getting deja vu here. This is about as clear as the Bethesda deal. I own an Xbox so it doesn’t really bother me but at least make it clear to PlayStation owners what the story is with regard to call of duty moving forward. There is a massive player base there and they might decide to jump ship rather than gamble and spend more money on Sonys platform.

Fredrik

Yeah, as long as Sony want a cut from game sales it makes little sense to have Gamepass there since you don’t have to buy as many games when you have Gamepass. Having their own subscription service and pay to have Call of Duty there is a better alternative, if MS is okay with that.

bender

What time is it?
That would almost certainly take GamePass from something where the numbers make sense (break even or better) to massively in the red, even if they had 100 million subscribers all paying at full price.

You could just add tiers:

-GPP(layStation): $9.99 per month and only allows you access to Game Pass on PlayStation.
-GPU + P(layStation): $19.99 per month and upgrades your GPU (normally $14.99 per month) to allow use on PlayStation.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
i don't think that playstation userbase had never been taken into consideration .. if Microsoft wants that user must also bend to little. The income on the Sony platform would be just a plus that would still generate a great effect make it become GamePass the unrivaled ultimate gaming service. That is exactly what Ms wants

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, as long as Sony want a cut from game sales it makes little sense to have Gamepass there since you don’t have to buy as many games when you have Gamepass. Having their own subscription service and pay to have Call of Duty there is a better alternative, if MS is okay with that.

The biggest factor in my mind would be if Spartacus is real or not. Allowing any form of Game Pass is going to cannibalize the potential of that service is some shape, form or fashion. I also doubt Microsoft would allow their properties on Sony's service. Maybe I could squint and see a back catalogue of older titles and I even doubt that.

BeardGawd

Banned
You'd get a fraction of a subscription service versus your own subscription service or product sale. Doubt.gif.
You're missing the part where Playstation Pass would also be allowed on Xbox. They both get increased markets for their streaming service. Win win.

Fredrik

The biggest factor in my mind would be if Spartacus is real or not. Allowing any form of Game Pass is going to cannibalize the potential of that service is some shape, form or fashion. I also doubt Microsoft would allow their properties on Sony's service. Maybe I could squint and see a back catalogue of older titles and I even doubt that.
I’m thinking it depends how much Sony is paying. MS probably pay a lot for some bigger games on Gamepass and in this scenario Sony would have to do the same for Call of Duty.

ZywyPL

Banned
So pretty much the same what was said with Bethesda acquisition, already signed deals and existing games will remain intact, but a year-two from now new games will be exclusive to MS platforms.

Can this guy ever speak in absolutes? People think Jim Ryan lies all the time when everything this guy says can be taken more than one way at all times.

AnnualYawningLaughingthrush-mobile.jpg

John Wick

Right now Sony are comfortable but alarmed at the rate at which they are losing 3rd party titles. They can counter this by buying big themselves or increasing their own studios.
If PS5 continues to sell every console made then Sony aren't under that much pressure to make a deal with MS.
We'll probably have a much better picture in 2023 June when the AB deal closes.

MonarchJT

Banned
Right now Sony are comfortable but alarmed at the rate at which they are losing 3rd party titles. They can counter this by buying big themselves or increasing their own studios.
If PS5 continues to sell every console made then Sony aren't under that much pressure to make a deal with MS.
We'll probably have a much better picture in 2023 June when the AB deal closes.
explain what is buying big ? buying final fantasy you dont rival certainly cod in the west.

Winter John

MS won't even be the market leader in company gaming revenue, consoles, pc, mobile, game subscriptions or VR. There's no monopoly anywhere at all, they won't have any issue with regulators. Plus, Twitter isn't the only place where they mentioned these things, they also mentioned in the SEC filling:

How does this transaction impact existing partner agreements (i.e., Sony, Google, Apple)? Will this change what we're able to offer our partners or how we structure our agreements?

·We will honor all existing commitments post close. As with Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft, we have no intent to remove any content from platforms where it exists today.
·We would be open to discussions to enter into an agreement to confirm our intent when it is appropriate to do so.
  • Activision Blizzard's games exist on a variety of platforms today, and we plan to continue supporting those communities moving forward.
  • The transaction is about increasing the availability of Activision Blizzard's content across more platforms. This is consistent with Microsoft's commitment to giving players more choice to play the games they want, anywhere.

How will this transaction affect our pipeline and existing games? How will current projects be affected by the transaction? After the deal closes, will we work on non-Activision Blizzard titles/products within Microsoft/Xbox/Bethesda?

·We do not anticipate that this news will affect the rollout of Activision Blizzard's current pipeline or existing games

If Phil Spencer came out yesterday and said, "We're gonna pull every Acti/Blizzard game from our competitors stores that would have launched an immediate investigation and the deal would likely be blocked. Everything you've posted literally confirms my point that Phil/MS are going to be saying a lot of warm fuzzy things to appease the SEC.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Yeah. I'm saying, if MS really wants CoD on Sony they want Sony to accept their terms. They will not make such demands that Sony would likely to disagree.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yes, it's what I think, a 360 lead on that gen and a PS4 lead on the past gen. Now that they bought it and will include it on Gamepass, I think a good chunk of the 10M or so who were playing it on PS will continue playing it there, while maybe 3M or 4M play it on PC or Xbox to 'save' money with GP.

I don't understand why people keep giving him attention. He only makes random guesses and copies stuff random annonymous users with no credibility said in twitter, reddit or 4chan.

MS won't even be the market leader in company gaming revenue, consoles, pc, mobile, game subscriptions or VR. There's no monopoly anywhere at all, they won't have any issue with regulators. Plus, Twitter isn't the only place where they mentioned these things, they also mentioned in the SEC filling:

How does this transaction impact existing partner agreements (i.e., Sony, Google, Apple)? Will this change what we're able to offer our partners or how we structure our agreements?

·We will honor all existing commitments post close. As with Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft, we have no intent to remove any content from platforms where it exists today.
·We would be open to discussions to enter into an agreement to confirm our intent when it is appropriate to do so.
  • Activision Blizzard's games exist on a variety of platforms today, and we plan to continue supporting those communities moving forward.
  • The transaction is about increasing the availability of Activision Blizzard's content across more platforms. This is consistent with Microsoft's commitment to giving players more choice to play the games they want, anywhere.

How will this transaction affect our pipeline and existing games? How will current projects be affected by the transaction? After the deal closes, will we work on non-Activision Blizzard titles/products within Microsoft/Xbox/Bethesda?

·We do not anticipate that this news will affect the rollout of Activision Blizzard's current pipeline or existing games

you know that once the deal happens there is absolutely no legal obligation on ms to keep the new releases on other consoles right?

Topher

Gold Member
If Phil Spencer came out yesterday and said, "We're gonna pull every Acti/Blizzard game from our competitors stores that would have launched an immediate investigation and the deal would likely be blocked. Everything you've posted literally confirms my point that Phil/MS are going to be saying a lot of warm fuzzy things to appease the SEC.

I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer is smart enough not to think he can blow smoke up the SEC's ass and turn around after the sale and do whatever he wants.

Top Bottom