• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

clarky

Gold Member
It makes perfect sense though because it's the perfect game to get people to sub to Game Pass and then spend money not only on microtransactions for COD, but also to get that sweet sweet 30% cut of everything they buy on the console, like fortnite microtransactions and other games.

USD$120 a year in recurring revenue via subscription + 30% of all content and games they buy + 1 monthly active user is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more important to them than USD$60 once a year. It's not even close.
This is an excellent point, and something which a few people on here can't seem to be able to grasp for some reason.

Weird how, nobody seems to be able to offer a decent counter other than "but but money on the table."

Airbus Jr

Banned
Jesus that's exactly what he said. The network environment makes the WHOLE experience either better or worse. Seriously dude please read things without the defense force glasses on.
It is still the same game regardless he says

Anyway its pointless talking about ps3 now lets move on

S0ULZB0URNE

Jesus that's exactly what he said. The network environment makes the WHOLE experience either better or worse. Seriously dude please read things without the defense force glasses on.
So you didn't play both versions on each machine.

MW2 for example.. allows you to have a in game fire team/party chat on both consoles.

Now we are saying it's the network differences lol
The games are PLAYER Hosted on both versions and play exactly the same lmao.

Shmunter

Exactly. You can’t “keep” a game on a console if that game doesn’t exist. You can keep existing games there. We did this same song and dance with Bethesda games.

“They won’t leave that money on the table!”

“They’ll keep existing franchises on PlayStation!”

“Starfield is coming to PlayStation too, you’ll see!”

Surely after Sony saw the money that they’ve left on the PC table and Xbox table all these years with their recent ventures into PC they’ll start releasing all their first party games on Xbox and PC day one. That’s how it works isn’t it? It’s all about the 70% revenue cut!
Sony went up and moved into PC multiplatform to industry surprise. This example itself points to game sales overriding closed eco system in certain ways. Games with "Only on Playstation" on the cover sleeve no less.

Regarding Starfield; not sure why anyone with common sense would take Arron Greenberg at face value - the man is fool at best of times. MS as a whole have spun language about exclusivity as far back as Rise of Tomb Raider. Exclusive definition can just as easily mean timed as with countless other titles proclaiming exclusivity - being first is an exclusive.

Suffice it to say, there is massive flux in the industry; and with MS approach to services vs physical hardware, hedging concrete bets one way or another is unwarranted. Xbox being relegated to a sub division of Microsoft Gaming with Phil at the head is in itself a big eye brow raiser. Nobody can guarantee anything as an observer right now, even MS can potentially change course at any moment incongruent with their messaging.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
So you didn't play both versions on each machine.

MW2 for example.. allows you to have a in game fire team/party chat on both consoles.

Now we are saying it's the network differences lol
The games are PLAYER Hosted on both versions and play exactly the same lmao.
Pretty sure English isn't your native language at this point.

He was talking about the early days of Xbox live and PSN, I agreed with him. What's the issue? Fuck me your painful.
I mean it took 3 or 4 years until they patched in the ability to see and send messages on PSN while playing.

on Xbox if I wanted to play with a friend I just sent a quick message and they could answer anytime. on PS3 you needed to be on the home screen to see people online and see if someone messaged you. this was before easy and free smartphone messaging too

this is what I mean by feeling isolated. imaging the Switch's online system but without everyone having a phone with internet access ready at any time... that was the PS3. I think the Switch would be a way worse system if other tech advances didn't happen to augment it where it has shortcomings.
you don't need Party Chat on Switch because you can use Discord or Whatsapp to do that easy on your phone, same with messages. but back in 2005-2007 that was a whole nother world

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sony went up and moved into PC multiplatform to industry surprise. This example itself points to game sales overriding closed eco system in certain ways. Games with "Only on Playstation" on the cover sleeve no less.

Regarding Starfield; not sure why anyone with common sense would take Arron Greenberg at face value - the man is fool at best of times. MS as a whole have spun language about exclusivity as far back as Rise of Tomb Raider. Exclusive definition can just as easily mean timed as with countless other titles proclaiming exclusivity - being first is an exclusive.

Suffice it to say, there is massive flux in the industry; and with MS approach to services vs physical hardware, hedging concrete bets one way or another is unwarranted. Xbox being relegated to a sub division of Microsoft Gaming with Phil at the head is in itself a big eye brow raiser. Nobody can guarantee anything as an observer right now, even MS can potentially change course at any moment incongruent with their messaging.
Do you believe that Starfield will release on PS5?

What about Redfall and The Outer Worlds 2?

Sorry Shmunter Shmunter for laughing at you, sorry mods for laughing at shmunter, sorry to the people that were offended by my laughing and reported me to get me a warning and threat of a ban.

Mod of War Mod of War can we please get one of those "remove post and issue a warning" for some of the posts like these as well?

You're comparing a franchise that has always been synonymous with the Xbox brand. Not sorry, are you retarded?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Do you believe that Starfield will release on PS5?

What about Redfall and The Outer Worlds 2?

Sorry Shmunter Shmunter for laughing at you, sorry mods for laughing at shmunter, sorry to the people that were offended and reported me to get me a warning and threat of a ban.
If you cared to read properly, I made it clear that believing it is coming to PS5 -or- believing it is Not coming to PS5 is foolish at this point.

And here you are asking me to nominate one. Errrrr.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If you cared to read properly, I made it clear that believing it is coming to PS5 -or- believing it is Not coming to PS5 is foolish at this point.

And here you are asking me to nominate one. Errrrr.
So you believe all the advertising and marketing about Starfield being exclusive to Xbox is a lie? So going forward we should never believe any game by either Microsoft or Sony isn't going to release on the other console? Or does this only apply to Microsoft because reasons?

How many first party Xbox Game Studio games have Microsoft released on Playstation apart from the ones that they were contractually obligated to through purchasing the publisher (Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo)? I assume that there must be lots for you to tell us that they're telling lies and that every single one of their games cannot be assumed to be exclusive, even when they specifically tell us it is?

Just trying to get my head around your reasoning.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
200.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
I believe that you believe anything in favour of your console warring
Please answer the question. I'm not console warring here, I'm asking for you to explain your reasoning on why you think Microsoft are telling lies about the exclusivity of their games. Nice try with the console warring deflection though. You're doing an awful lot of conspiracy theorizing in order to come to the conclusion that your preferred console will still receive Xbox games. I'm under no illusion that Sony will start releasing games on Xbox or Nintendo, so again - trying to understand how you've come to this conclusion.

if you believe you can't say that Starfield is exclusive to Xbox, you're saying that Microsoft are lying:

Announced at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase, Starfield arrives exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on 11.11.22. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

Last edited:

sendit

Ah someone can't possibly agree with mrfunbags crazy takes it must be the same person!

No need to quote me btw i'll not be deleting anything, your the one calling people retards.
Now I’m 100% sure English isn’t your first language. Where did I call anyone retarded?

sendit

Ah wait you where just asking, sorry that's completely different, of course.
The poster said those games will come to playstation, as they generate loads of money and Microsoft doesnt care what platform you play on. If that was the case they'd stick Halo on PlayStation. To make more money.

Theres more to this than just money thats his whole point.

its not hard to understand, are you retarded?
Ah wait you where just asking, sorry that’s completely different, of course.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're comparing a franchise that has always been synonymous with the Xbox brand. Not sorry, are you retarded?

Now I’m 100% sure English isn’t your first language. Where did I call anyone retarded?

Still no action from the Mods though. They were all over my post that was simply laughing at someone who still believes that Starfield is coming to PS5 though, deleting it and giving me a warning. Calling someone a retard is fine though.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Back on topic I caught Paul Tassi and Destin chatting about this on Destins YouTube channel they said pretty much what a few of us guys have said here.

Copied from elsewhere because I can't be arsed typing it out myself.

Destin to Paul: CoD, Diablo, Overwatch, WoW, Starcraft, smaller titles like Crash, Spyro…how do you think they’ll play the exclusivity window going forward after having made statements “we plan to continue to support these communities moving forward” and “intent and desire”.?

Paul: That statement essentially means nothing. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. They are not gonna disband active communities like shut off PlayStation Overwatch servers etc.

I am am Phil Spencer this is my plan: All future Blizzard IPs are gonna be Xbox exclusive. Overwatch could stay on all platforms, since Overwatch 2 just seems like base upgrades over the first one. The statement kinda indicates this too.

A console version of Diablo 4 will be console exclusive. Something like a possible Starcraft FPS would be console exclusive. Warzone stays everywhere. A big shake up for CoD. Could be a game that comes out every other year. These other studios could work on Spyro, Crash. Mainline games will be exclusive.

Destin agrees.

This is the most likely outcome by a very wide margin imo.

I'm sorry If this opinion doesn't fit with some of you guy's but we can all agree to disagree, discussion should be fun and healthy and surely that what this place is for. Having an opinion you don't like on this doesn't make someone a "fanboy" or the bad guy. One thing is certain big changes are coming whether we like it or not.

Last edited:

Mozza

Quote me on this. The next COD, Diablo 4, and Overwatch 2 will all be released on the Playstation platform. These are multiplayer games that generate constant income monthly. Microsoft doesn't care about which box you prefer. Ultimately, they're in this business to make money.
Wasn't the same thing said about The Elder Scrolls.

Remember you said this when COD is yet again the highest selling (or second to an EA sports game) game of 2022 on every platform it releases on. Vanguard was despite what you just said.
You can only really compare cod sales to the previous years cod sales as it’s always in the top 3 highest sold games each year, and I was going off that, not against other games. It has dropped some % from the previous years sales.

DrAspirino

Banned
Please answer the question. I'm not console warring here, I'm asking for you to explain your reasoning on why you think Microsoft are telling lies about the exclusivity of their games. Nice try with the console warring deflection though. You're doing an awful lot of conspiracy theorizing in order to come to the conclusion that your preferred console will still receive Xbox games. I'm under no illusion that Sony will start releasing games on Xbox or Nintendo, so again - trying to understand how you've come to this conclusion.

if you believe you can't say that Starfield is exclusive to Xbox, you're saying that Microsoft are lying:

Yet Xbox is not only a console, but Microsoft gaming ecosystem, which involves console, Windows PC, AND CLOUD.

Starfield and other "Xbox exclusive" titles could come to PlayStation if Ms. is allowed to put an Xcloud client on PS5. Right now it would seem farfetched (to say the least), yet the industry has shown us these last couple of years that anything is possible, so...

Honey Bunny

imagine the meme format for me please

header: not believing phil spencer

image: Cynical PS fans burned by Starfield exclusivity *handshake* Gloating xbox fans disappointed they wouldn't get COD exclusive

ZywyPL

Banned
We will see how funny it is when the time comes.

Look at Horizon: Forbidden West, a Killzone reboot running on the Decima Engine surely isn't funny.

Graphics didn't help KZ2 succeed. They didn't help KZ3 either. Not even KZ:SF. What makes you believe a new, yet again better looking Killzone will all of a sudden become an immediate smash hit? This is exactly why Sony and their studios are in such a bad spot when it comes to MP, they simply don't get it, they don't get that a games has to be first and foremost gameplay-drive, not story-driven, because in MP there are no cut-scenes, no scripts, no melee executions, it's all about running and gunning.

And the best part is they were actually so damn close to establishing their own, huge MP franchises - all KZ2 needed was fixing the damn controls instead of being stubborn fucks saying that 200ms input-lag adds "weight", and stop continuously buffing the Bots and Sentry Turrets which pushed away the loyal fanbase who could actually live with those controls. That's all they really had to do, the game was played by 2-3M people after launch, whihc in those wime was a huge number, but those two things made people abandon it. Then KZ3 showed up and completely revamped the MP, tossing in unnecessary vehicles, and with a "sniper" with full invisibility and a fully-auto assault rifle, now whose idea was that??

UC2 - amazing MP, one of the best TPP MP ever actually, and Plunder mode is still one of the best innovations and ideas I've played when it comes to MP, the game really could've been Sony's equivalent to Gears, but it was single-handedly killed off by that awful matchmaking which took 20-40min. to find players, and then when you finally got into a game it was always low-level newbie players vs high-level veterans, so not only one team lacked experience, map awareness etc. but didn't have access to one of the Boost what significantly improved the guns accuracy, basically people waited half an hour for a match only to get the floor wiped with them. And the best part? Instead of fixing the matchmaking ND started to punish people who were leaving such uneven matches. So as a result the game also died really fast. And then UC3 showed up, with even worse, more unresponsive controls than UC2, but with a remedy to the previous issues - Power Plays, a.k.a. rewarding people who suck at the game... So it dies even faster than UC2.

RFoM was actually the very first game developed for PS3 and its launch title, the MP was a typical arena shooter which was a norm back then since CoD4 hasn't happened yet, and the game had it's loyal fanbase for quite some time. But then Res2 launched and tried to (badly) copy-paste CoD, and with its 60 player MP on top of it it was nothing but a chaotic mess. Res3 was awesome, easily the best in the series and one of my favorite FPS of all times, but the game had some serious balancing issues (like homing RPG, seriously...) IG took too much time to iron out, and soon after BF3 launched and nobody cared about Res3 anymore, the game literally died within just a month.

So within just two consecutive games Sony's flagship devs showed well how extremely incompetent they are when it comes to MP mode, some of the ideas are so fucking stupid it makes you question if they even played/tested their own games before launch... And you expect those people to came up with something that'll attract a decent crowd for more than a month? Let alone replace the king of FPS like CoD? Because of pretty graphics? And believe me, I'd be the first person on the planet in the queue for a KZ2 remaster, but even I know the honey moon would end after two weeks. Like I said in the first paragraph, Sony's devs simply don't have what it takes, and making malee-focused games in the past decade didn't help them gain any experience, to say politely.

Loxus

Graphics didn't help KZ2 succeed. They didn't help KZ3 either. Not even KZ:SF. What makes you believe a new, yet again better looking Killzone will all of a sudden become an immediate smash hit? This is exactly why Sony and their studios are in such a bad spot when it comes to MP, they simply don't get it, they don't get that a games has to be first and foremost gameplay-drive, not story-driven, because in MP there are no cut-scenes, no scripts, no melee executions, it's all about running and gunning.

And the best part is they were actually so damn close to establishing their own, huge MP franchises - all KZ2 needed was fixing the damn controls instead of being stubborn fucks saying that 200ms input-lag adds "weight", and stop continuously buffing the Bots and Sentry Turrets which pushed away the loyal fanbase who could actually live with those controls. That's all they really had to do, the game was played by 2-3M people after launch, whihc in those wime was a huge number, but those two things made people abandon it. Then KZ3 showed up and completely revamped the MP, tossing in unnecessary vehicles, and with a "sniper" with full invisibility and a fully-auto assault rifle, now whose idea was that??

UC2 - amazing MP, one of the best TPP MP ever actually, and Plunder mode is still one of the best innovations and ideas I've played when it comes to MP, the game really could've been Sony's equivalent to Gears, but it was single-handedly killed off by that awful matchmaking which took 20-40min. to find players, and then when you finally got into a game it was always low-level newbie players vs high-level veterans, so not only one team lacked experience, map awareness etc. but didn't have access to one of the Boost what significantly improved the guns accuracy, basically people waited half an hour for a match only to get the floor wiped with them. And the best part? Instead of fixing the matchmaking ND started to punish people who were leaving such uneven matches. So as a result the game also died really fast. And then UC3 showed up, with even worse, more unresponsive controls than UC2, but with a remedy to the previous issues - Power Plays, a.k.a. rewarding people who suck at the game... So it dies even faster than UC2.

RFoM was actually the very first game developed for PS3 and its launch title, the MP was a typical arena shooter which was a norm back then since CoD4 hasn't happened yet, and the game had it's loyal fanbase for quite some time. But then Res2 launched and tried to (badly) copy-paste CoD, and with its 60 player MP on top of it it was nothing but a chaotic mess. Res3 was awesome, easily the best in the series and one of my favorite FPS of all times, but the game had some serious balancing issues (like homing RPG, seriously...) IG took too much time to iron out, and soon after BF3 launched and nobody cared about Res3 anymore, the game literally died within just a month.

So within just two consecutive games Sony's flagship devs showed well how extremely incompetent they are when it comes to MP mode, some of the ideas are so fucking stupid it makes you question if they even played/tested their own games before launch... And you expect those people to came up with something that'll attract a decent crowd for more than a month? Let alone replace the king of FPS like CoD? Because of pretty graphics? And believe me, I'd be the first person on the planet in the queue for a KZ2 remaster, but even I know the honey moon would end after two weeks. Like I said in the first paragraph, Sony's devs simply don't have what it takes, and making malee-focused games in the past decade didn't help them gain any experience, to say politely.
Look at what they did with God of War on PS4. It much different from the previous God of War games.

Why you think a Killzone reboot running on the Decimal Engine wouldn't get the same treatment?

I don't get why your even bring up the old Killzone games. This isn't about backwards compatibility.

ZywyPL

Banned
Look at what they did with God of War on PS4. It much different from the previous God of War games.

Why you think a Killzone reboot running on the Decimal Engine wouldn't get the same treatment?

I don't get why your even bring up the old Killzone games. This isn't about backwards compatibility.

I thought we're talking about MP, no? That's why I brought up KZ examples? Actually you're the one who brought KZ into the whole discussion in the first place. So why do you bring GoW into the subject when it's a SP-only title, and SSM never did a MP game nor any shooter? Which if you really want to know, I personally think it's a shallow, watered down experience compared to previous installments, both gameplay and story-wise, so thanks but no thanks for such treatments to old beloved games.

but like I said, it wouldn't matter what engine or what refinements GG would make in the next KZ if the game isn't even remotely balanced at the core gameplay, they screwed up so many times it's really hard to give them any credit you know. Nor the other mentioned teams.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Are you butthurt about your favorite game possibly becoming irrelevant if Sony makes a better FPS?
Don't worry, it'll be alright.
Oh right because Sony has such a long, storied history with successful online FPS games, right? They're unmatched!

Give me a break. If it was so easy how come Call of Duty has been dominating for over a decade and no other dev has made anything comparable?

Top Bottom