• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the places you’ve lived , which place do you miss the most?

Mondai

I miss my second apartment in Alaska , my wife and I lived in North Pole in the woods. It was so quiet and peaceful and we could just go outside our place in winter and see the Aurora Borealis above us , always a beautiful experience. I would do anything to live there again but sadly I don't think we'll ever be able to live in Alaska again.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've only lived in one place, it's a big international city though so everywhere else seems like a downgrade; I would only trade it for some tropical paradise with white sands and blue water and alsp great internet.

Quasicat

I grew up in a small city, moved away to a larger city for college, and then moved to a rural area in the middle of Ohio once I got my Master’s. I am currently in the place I love the most.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
A house in Killiney, just outside Dublin. This is the view from my front door.

unxlyep.jpg

Small edit: I added more pictures of the house and garden.

JNOYr3i.jpg
uU60d5l.jpg
X5vp3gF.jpg
7ZKGEgN.jpg
qDFhYEh.jpg
j0y1ehq.jpg

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't miss my apartment which was a claustrophic closet in Nagasaki where I was caged in for 3 years, but I do miss that beautiful city. Surrounded by mountains and forests, with the shimmering serene blue coast all around. The views and beaches were stunning and the people kind.

The summers though were painfully hot (28-40c everyday), long (mid May-mid Oct) and humid (constant 80-99%) and were miserable and moving back to England was a relief for the weather alone. But late Autumn, Winter and some of Spring were great and I'd get outdoors a lot.

For me it's one of the most beautiful places to live in the world and I look forward to returning there someday and retracing some steps.

Portion-harbour-prefecture-Nagasaki-Japan-Kyushu.jpg

Last edited:

nush

Brand new studio apartment I rented 2010/2011, everything in there new I brought from Ikea and looked like on of their demo rooms. It was also the shag pad. Also for some strange reason I never got an electricity bill and was never cut off so free electric was a plus. My neighbor was some kind of mafia/organized crime dude, lived with his wife and 2 kids until one day within a year they just up and left. Landlord jumped up the rent for the 2012 so I moved to a new cheaper apartment closer to the office.

Diddy X

South Florida, miss the green, the little (or big) animals you would ocasionally come across and the hot weather.

Hudo

Late 90s, early 2000s for me.

Although, the 80s would be interesting to experience as well for archeological reasons.

Reactions: Gp1

Woggleman

I lives in NYC for a good portion of the 90s and I very much miss it. I could never get it back even if I moved back there because it is a like a completely different place.

Tams

Yamaguchi Prefecture in Japan. I adored there, and am jealous of some colleagues who worked harder than me and have made their lives there.

That said, I do love my childhood home that I'm back at (well, back in the area). And the UK has great cheese and meat selections available almost anywhere, unlike Japan.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I do miss South Korea a bit, primarily for the absurdly cheap hole-in-the-wall places I could eat kimbap and bibimbap for dirt cheap. Seriously, I never cooked the entire time I was there, not when you could get the equivalent of a california roll for $1.80.

Durien

Pensacola, Fl. I lived there for almost a year while going to "A" school in the Navy. Loved the weather, don't mind the heat at all. Food was great, beaches super sandy, and the chicks were HOT.

My house I lived in most of my life with my parents is the one I like the most. My parents would still probably be there if it weren't for my mother passing away to cancer when I was in my early twenties.

Johnny2Bad

I lived in Sydney Australia for almost a year. I miss it a lot. Great weather, beaches, body surfing and girls.

The first place I lived in for 5 months and I miss greatly. It was cozy, clean and I had it all to myself.

The second place I don't miss as much. Too many roommates and too many cockroachs.

Durien

I miss living in Louisiana, if for nothing else the food culture there is fantastic.
A guy I was going to A school with was from in Slidell, La. When I was in Pensacola we would stay at his house every other weekend and hit the French Quarter. 18 yeard old and fresh on my own, introduced to the best place in New Orleans...Bourbon Street. I could not believe such a place existed.

Last edited:

Durien

I lived in central Florida and we got into Disney for free. It was the best of times.
I would love to live in the Orlando area (said as a tourist who goes to Orlando area every other year). So much to do, weather is great. The ONLY thing that bugs me about the South is there is no change of seasons. You have Hot and Sunny, Mild and Sunny, or Rainy for 30 minutes then Sunny. I loved the thunder storms!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The ONLY thing that bugs me about the South is there is no change of seasons.
This sounds like paradise to me.

I never understood why some people complain about the lack of seasons.

Unless you're someone who's never experienced snow before.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Idaho.

Mountains, streams, forests, plains, etc. It feels like a different country.

Wife and I have been thinking hard about moving there in the next 5 years.

I was just a kid when I lived there, but loved it.

Durien

This sounds like paradise to me.

I never understood why some people complain about the lack of seasons.

Unless you're someone who's never experienced snow before.
I've lived in New England for 15 years, Florida for 1 1/2 years, and west coast for a little over 33 years. Snow at Christmas time is what I miss most. There is nothing like snow at Christmas time

reezoo

I have lived in Karachi, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Singapore and Toronto. I miss Bahrain the most. Manama was a small city, office commute was only 15 min,

Durien

I have lived in Karachi, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Singapore and Toronto. I miss Bahrain the most. Manama was a small city, office commute was only 15 min,
What was Dubai like? All the stuff I see on TV show it as super extravagant.

Nowhere, after 40+ years i finally live in a place that has everything i want. Tokyo, i live on the ocean and if i need countryside its only an hour away by train.

Durien

Nowhere, after 40+ years i finally live in a place that has everything i want. Tokyo, i live on the ocean and if i need countryside its only an hour away by train.
I have been to Japan about 10 times in 3 week bursts. There are two places I would love to live in Japan. Hidetakayama or, I think, Yamanouchi. I can't remember if that was the exact place but it was an onsen town by the Judenki monkey hot springs. I love the rural areas of Japan and prefer those much more than the city. There were some sakenbreweries near Nagano that had delicious sake too heh heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom