• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Level 25 finally got my first legendary.

dxE4CIY.png

I WONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

MartyStu

On the topic of balance, I think some characters need to have their ultimates charge a little more slowly. Hanzo and especially Mercy seem like they get theirs extremely often and they're such game changing ults.

Definitely Hanzo.

No risk, super fast recharge, crazy coverage.

Ginji ult is so severely gimped in comparison.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who has no trouble with McCrees? I get them way more often than they get me. And I'm nothing special at the game. He doesn't need a nerf at all.

And he's boring as hell to play.

Moff

my first leg with level 22
overwatch_6-1024x572.png

not bad, I actually think the blackheart skin is cooler but it's too similar to the standard skin, so I^m happy with this, I also play reinhardt from time to time
can't wait to unlock the devil skin for my main mercy, though, 530 credits so far

Definitely Hanzo.

No risk, super fast recharge, crazy coverage.

Ginji ult is so severely gimped in comparison.

Hanzo's ult is really strong in pub games, but it's pretty mediocre if you have good communication and teamwork going on. Genji's ult actually feels much stronger to me since it generally causes the other team to go into a clusterfuck trying to kill him. It almost always ends with a team kill for us, barring any Lucio/Zenyatta shenanigans.

I think McCree's ult is really the only "broken" one. And only because it denies an entire zone for 6 seconds and can be cancelled if need be. If he wasn't just nuts in general though, it might not be so bad.

my first leg with level 22
overwatch_6-1024x572.png

not bad, I actually think the blackheart skin is cooler but it's too similar to the standard skin, so I^m happy with this, I also play reinhardt from time to time
can't wait to unlock the devil skin for my main mercy, though, 530 credits so far

I like that skin. Makes Reinhardt look like the mid-boss of a JRPG

Samaritan

It really seems like Mercy's ult needs to be nerfed slightly. Either it needs to take longer to charge, or she needs to channel it for a moment before it revives the team. As it stands right now, you can kill her while she's casting it, but the rez already went through so it doesn't particularly matter. Seems to me that she needs to be made vulnerable when using her ultimate.

Skab

There is literally a counter to every situation you are going to encounter in the game. They allow you to change characters for a reason.

Adapt.

Evolve.

Or tell us what you're actually doing; who you're using and let people help. Otherwise it sounds like you just need to move onto a game that doesn't upset you.

I can't counter an entire team solo, no matter how good I am/get or who I'm using.

pigeon

Banned
It really seems like Mercy's ult needs to be nerfed slightly. Either it needs to take longer to charge, or she needs to channel it for a moment before it revives the team. As it stands right now, you can kill her while she's casting it, but the rez already went through so it doesn't particularly matter. Seems to me that she needs to be made vulnerable when using her ultimate.

She's vulnerable when using her ultimate, before using her ultimate, and after using her ultimate. Mercy is the second most vulnerable character in the game! (The first is Zenyatta ofc.)

If Mercy's around there's literally a line pointing to her from the character you want to kill. Go get a flanker and kill her first.

Shahadan

She's vulnerable as fuck the entire game. You're supposed to kill her first if you want to avoid the mass rez or take the risk. That's the point.

Zaventem

Why do I feel like I'm the only one who has no trouble with McCrees? I get them way more often than they get me. And I'm nothing special at the game. He doesn't need a nerf at all.

And he's boring as hell to play.

His bullets have no travel time and only 50% damage drop off. Going by your profile picture of course we can see who you favor so you won't have a problem with him but going by statistical picks who know he's a tad above the rest.

I really like where Mercy is at right now. As it stands, forcing a teamkill without removing Mercy first is a risk. At some point, you start killing people and then your team has to figure out how to deal with Mercy before she can res them all. Adds a lot of tension to the game. Also helps balance out pug games when someone gets a lucky ult and clears a whole team.

Speely

Banned
I get stomped every match. I literally paid $60 for a game i never actually get to play.

I'm seriously considering not playing anymore.

I am in the same boat, bud. I got in "late" and have only had random groups, plus I am not super-good at fast-paced, twitchy FPS games. End result: I feel like I am head-shot as soon as I anything.

That said, I am having a blast and hoping that my MMR kicks in soon and puts me in games with other scrubs so I can feel better about sucking while I try to git gud with the little time I have to play, because the game is fantastic. It's hard to learn heroes when you know you are potentially a detriment to the team, but if we all suck who cares? :)

I stay away from twitchy heroes and always play the objective. This is really all a non-elite player can do, and if your team all wanders off looking for kills (so many do,) then there's nothing you can do about that but take the L and keep on truckin.

I can't counter an entire team solo, no matter how good I am/get or who I'm using.

I'm trying to not be reductive or disparaging. Really.

Maybe you're young and all of this is too much for you?

Maybe you're not young but all of this is simply too much for you?

Maybe you're incredibly unlucky and everyone you are grouping with is terrible and everyone you're against is hyper organized?

Or...most likely you're playing this like every other FPS which it most certainly is not. Once again; until you provide specifics all you're going to get is vague advice or "git gud" or the like...

MartyStu

Hanzo's ult is really strong in pub games, but it's pretty mediocre if you have good communication and teamwork going on. Genji's ult actually feels much stronger to me since it generally causes the other team to go into a clusterfuck trying to kill him. It almost always ends with a team kill for us, barring any Lucio/Zenyatta shenanigans.

I think McCree's ult is really the only "broken" one. And only because it denies an entire zone for 6 seconds and can be cancelled if need be. If he wasn't just nuts in general though, it might not be so bad.

I am playing pub games, so maybe that is the difference, but I think there is more to it that that.

Hanzo is super effective at clearing out busy areas and points. That in itself is fine, I just hate that he has to put pretty much no skin in the game to do it (Junkrat and D.VA have to sacrifice their safety) since he can use it from behind walls.

Genji's ult could use with a dash of defense. Preferably by refreshing his cooldowns and/or being faster too pull out.

Apathy

again, thanks blizzard, i was in a good pug and get broken up just to be taken to a game that is about to end and my team is 2 people down even after I joined.

Amazing matchmaking.

I'm obviously not gong to stick around with this new group. why would I?

Keep winning groups together, it's fine, eventually it'll fine another winning group and will stop

Vorpal

Are you on console or pc? Im just trying to understand why some people srem to be playing a different game than me

Yeah, weird. I've put about 20 hours into the PC version and I've never had this experience. Even in cases when the spawn point is being attacked, it's only able to last for a minute or two at most.

ISOM

Sounds like you need to get a better group or stop teaming with Randoms. The OP of this thread has a good doc with Gaffers names on them. Add them to your friends list then invite them to join your group when you're playing. That's what I've essentially done so that most of the time, I am at least playing with one or more non random members.

His bullets have no travel time and only 50% damage drop off. Going by your profile picture of course we can see who you favor so you won't have a problem with him but going by statistical picks who know he's a tad above the rest.
That's quite the assumption.

I do like Hanzo but I mix it up quite a bit. I feel like McCree fulfills the role they made him for. And I don't feel overwhelming fear when he's on the other team. Honestly none of the characters make me feel that way (Bastion comes the closest I guess).

Maps on the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing the win% for defense on Anubis. I bet it's well above 50%.

Scirrocco

Maybe play with GAF or some people you know?

Do this. Jyst add everyone from the list on the front page. Even if you're not coordinating well It's still amazing how your win rate goes up when you know at least 1 other person isn't a total idiot.

Edit:b. Plus you get 20% extra exp.

3DShovel

Didn't have any fun at all playing this tonight.

Got shit on 7 games in a row because teammates just stuck on heroes that the enemy team was effectively countering.

Couldn't fucking do anything. Ugh.

Shahadan

I am playing pub games, so maybe that is the difference, but I think there is more to it that that.

Hanzo is super effective at clearing out busy areas and points. That in itself is fine, I just hate that he has to put pretty much no skin in the game to do it (Junkrat and D.VA have to sacrifice their safety) since he can use it from behind walls.

Genji's ult could use with a dash of defense. Preferably by refreshing his cooldowns and/or being faster too pull out.

Hanzo is fragile and has basically no defense once he's found. Also he has to be relatively close to use his ult if he even hopes to hit somebody who has played more than two hours.

He's at risk basically being there.

I love the look of this game and am thinking of picking it up on PC. But I also loved the look of TF2 and got absolutely destroyed most of the time. What's the learning curve like? I'm pretty decent at CS but suck at MOBAs. :(

Artanisix

I love the look of this game and am thinking of picking it up on PC. But I also loved the look of TF2 and got absolutely destroyed most of the time. What's the learning curve like? I'm pretty decent at CS but suck at MOBAs. :(

there are a massive amount of FPS newbies playing this game (a lot of them coming from WoW etc.), you really don't have to worry about skill level too badly IMO.

the learning curve isn't bad at all and once you play a few games, your hidden MMR should match you up with equally skilled players.

Permanently A

This game doesn't feel like a MOBA to play, it feels like a shooter.

Shahadan

Also people who have problems staying alive and being useful should play versus the AI for a bit. There are three difficulties, you're still playing with people, and it is actually rather challenging.

I get that duplicate drops are kind of just the nature of this type of setup, but it's kind of bullshit that you can even get duplicate items in loot boxes you've paid for.

Playing as Pharah on XB1 has truly been the definition of struggle bus. The controls for boosting and shooting at the same time would definitely be easier on PC.

R0ckman

Lucio is really damn good, I don't think people take him as a threat and don't play agressively with him. I've gotten compliments from the enemy team from my Lucio play. Sound blast knocks people away, keeps away Mei so she can't finish off your friends etc. I've saved our team at an overtime several times by riding around on walls and blasting people around the room until my team gets back.

Unfortunately in pubs if I do too good with him the opposite team will sometimes do nothing but attack me and single me out the whole time.

Playing as Pharah on XB1 has truly been the definition of struggle bus. The controls for boosting and shooting at the same time would definitely be easier on PC.

Pretty sure that the boost is mapped to LT as well as the face button?

Attacking Hanamura vs. 4 Torbjorns + Lucio + Roadhog is like the definition of hell. ARGH.

This game doesn't feel like a MOBA to play, it feels like a shooter.

That's good to know! I'm not very great at the macroeconomics of videogames so MOBA and RTS stuff hurts my brain.

there are a massive amount of FPS newbies playing this game (a lot of them coming from WoW etc.), you really don't have to worry about skill level too badly IMO.

the learning curve isn't bad at all and once you play a few games, your hidden MMR should match you up with equally skilled players.

Also awesome. I don't mind being a support guy if I'm not good at offensive classes. Looks like I'll be picking it up in a few weeks then! Thanks for the quick responses y'all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Versus AI stuff doesn't count towards win/loss right?

Caring about your w/l is your first mistake (imo of course). And yes ive posted about my ratio a few times, no that doesnt make me a hypocrite. Sure I check, even follow it, but I don't obcess over it, much less care about losses. Games take 10mins, you lose a few, you win a few, no big deal really

Ramirez

L hovers as well. Pharah plays fine on consoles, not sure why I see so many in here saying she's too hard to play. Easily my best character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom