• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
I need to learn how to better aim with D.Va, that or her damage fucking sucks. Is it just me or is when you fire your crosshair moves slower compared to just moving it around without firing?
She slows down but actual aiming is unaffected. Her damage is decent up close, the only problem is that the fall-off is severe and she has problems keeping up with slippery flankers like Genji or Tracer off her thruster cooldowns since she can only ever really pick either 'chase' or 'shoot' at one compromises the other.

ExVicis

Bastion is almost too easy to destroy.

Oh yeah, if Roadhog is even remotely near range, Bastion's as good as dead. He's not moving, he's huge, he has no natural armor, and you have such a big target for headshots. He's a guaranteed hook and kill. Killing him as Roadhog honestly feels like you just fired a shotgun into some legos.

B.O.O.M

Bastion still needs a rework. Maybe reduce the range and remove his self healing

lmao you might as well remove him from the game completely then. His defense is garbage tier and other players can wreck him easily. If you are going to rework on his damage output then you must increase his base defense/health.

Not sure what it is but Symmetra is just incredibly fun and satisfying to play. I'm currently 30-12 with her. I even got the 20 streak trophy playing as her.

Yep, depending on the map she is fantastic. Hanamura ftw! Currently I'm 18-3 win record with her

Yeah Torb's turrets are just trash. Far too fast... full 360... tons of damage and no reloading. I'd just like to see him gone... or at the very least put a 180 degree limit on them AS WELL AS a cool down after destruction on the next placement. He's such a troll character.

These passive kill turrets in general just really throw a wrench into what is a very smooth player vs player game. AI controlled turrets everywhere with 3 Torbs on the other team is shit.
xVQ2SS.gif

Reading Toblerone anger just gets me hot and bothered.
Oh yeah, if Roadhog is even remotely near range, Bastion's as good as dead. He's not moving, he's huge, he has no natural armor, and you have such a big target for headshots. Killing him as Roadhog honestly feels like you just fired a shotgun into some legos.
LMAO. That is a perfect description of what it feels like.

Moonlight

Banned
Bastion is a victim of how poorly some of the defense points/chokepoints in the game are designed. He'd be less of a problem if his presence didn't inherently demand team coordination in zones like Hanamura's final defense point which is pretty hard to come by in pub games. His counterplay is clear at a character level but you still need to get in and around the rest of his team taking up equally favourable positions.

I did never quite understand why Bastion has a self heal, especially such a strong one.

It makes sense. You can't chip him and force him to move by doing little damage at a time. He's supposed to be a sentry. The self heal cancels whenever he takes damage, so he can't use it while being damaged.

Yeah Torb's turrets are just trash. Far too fast... full 360... tons of damage and no reloading. I'd just like to see him gone... or at the very least put a 180 degree limit on them AS WELL AS a cool down after destruction on the next placement. He's such a troll character.

The turrets are super easy to kill. He has one of the lowest pick rates in competitive. He's not overpowered.

Blues1990

I have a lot of issues with Genji and McCree on offense - Genji I haven't found his sweet spot yet and I'm also terrible at aiming with his reflect. McCree I always just end up getting toasted by somebody before I can get into a groove, or I mistime a dodge and just get slammed.

I also have issues with D.Va and Hanzo - for D.Va I cannot for the life of me get her range right on her weapons. I think I'm at a good spot and instead I do next to nothing and the person I'm up against wastes me. As for Hanzo, I'm terrible at sniping without a scope and I'm not a fire arrows indiscriminately kinda guy so I can never pull off headshots like I'm supposed to with him.

Yeah, people keep telling me that when you find Genji's "sweet spot", he can tear everyone apart with relative ease. But that hasn't happened to me yet, and I'm becoming incredibly frustrated with using him in a match.

After playing a few rounds of the brawl, I've had it confirmed to myself that I am absolutely useless as Hanzo. Something about trying to aim those arrows just never seems to click for me, and I spend a lot of time jumping at walls trying to climb up them and looking like an idiot.

Hanzo is definitely one of the more difficult characters to use in the cast, but my friend (who mainly plays as him & Soldier 76) found these tips to be incredibly helpful to learn the intricacies about using Hanzo most effectively in Overwatch. Practicing Scatter Arrow in Custom Games had helped him figure out how to use it to target enemies behind corners or to flush people out of choke points, which had saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Out of the entire cast the only ones I don't play are Hanzo, Mei and D-Va. But rather than not understanding them I just don't have any reason to play them.
Of course, I've found legendary skins for all of them.

In D-Va's case I know how to play her I just don't see why I would use her over other characters. Particularly Winston. My friend also uses her almost all the time so even when I feel like changing things up, I'm usually in a match with him anyways.

Hanzo, even when I land hits with his primary I feel like I didn't deserve it. I think I've gotten POTG on him every time I've played him and it was totally by accident. Scatter arrow also simply doesn't work for me. I fire it at people's feet and, well, last time they bounced straight back at ME. I've been instakilled by other people using scatter a million times and whenever they shoot it, all the arrows just bounce into my character without fail. I don't think I've ever managed to kill a single person with scatter arrow doing the exact same thing that other Hanzos do. If I'm going to play a sniper I'm going to play the one that is fun and not luck-based.

I've only played Mei a few times and while I understand her fine, like with D-Va I just never swap to her because she doesn't fill a niche that I need at any given moment. Most times that I might play Mei, I'd rather be on Zarya.

After a while of playing the game, even when you don't use the characters yourself you get plenty of experience watching others use them. My first time on McCree I thought his primary use was to land pistol headshots like a handcannon in Destiny - it went poorly. After being killed by flashbang/fan the hammer a few times I was like 'oh, so that's how you use him' and I could now play McCree.

The last paragraph is a solid good point you've made, as you can learn a lot with what to do (and what not to do) with the other characters. Like, say, charging in dick first as Reinhardt, only to miss your opponent and charge off the stage.

Grief.exe

I haven't played tf2 on other team shooters so I don't know how it's done but how would they tally stuff like Winston who may not rack up kills but can fuck up a team while teammates kill people off, or strength buffs from support. I think a lot of people are bad enough voting for high kills. Would a spreadsheet of info after a match be fair?

Not worried about Winston, mostly about offensive characters that aren't carrying their weight.

If you're playing with a consistent group, it's good to know who can't compete at that MMR.

Lyng

Bastion needs no nerf, if anything Bastion needs a small buff. His range is perfectly fine. That self-heal also might seem ridiculous but it's really not useful unless you're behind cover which if he's in shift mode he has to take the time to get out of the mode, get to cover and then the self-heal isn't even immediate like Roadhogs. Bastion is not overpowered.

Why would you buff him? His range is insane. Yes he is fairly easy to kill, if you can get close enough with your tank. If he has a slight brain and a proper tank its not that simple.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The last paragraph is a solid good point you've made, as you can learn a lot with what to do (and what not to do) with the other characters. Like, say, charging in dick first as Reinhardt, only to miss your opponent and charge off the stage.

In my 75 years of playing video games, there are few things as satisfying as charging with a Reinhardt and pinning someone to the wall.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm up for 180, heck, 270 degree limit on the turrets. They certainly need some sort of limiter.

I dunno how it is on the consoles, but Toblerone is not very good on PC.

The turrets are pretty easy to destroy with Pharah (rockets can't be shot down) and even 76 can do pretty well. Tracer can evade then by blinking around their covered zones and into the point or behind cover. Basically if you come at the turrent with more than 1 hero its completely screwed. But that requires teamwork which is often very hard to get in pubs. =/

If you want to make Toblerone worse, maybe reduce the damage on his shotgun, but even that seems too much for a guy who is basically already not good against experineced players except a few maps.

Honestly in general, it seems like it is a map problem not a Toblerone problem. Anubis Temple is the main culprit and to a lesser extent Gibraltar (right at the end), and Hollywood (right at the beginning) are completely dependant on 1 path. In a map with multiple paths, the hero is much less of a problem as you can flank the turret or go around it.

Blues1990

In my 75 years of playing video games, there are few things as satisfying as charging with a Reinhardt and pinning someone to the wall.

Wait, 75 years?

Anyway, I personally love using his Earthshatter Ultimate, and then piling my enemies into a charge into one of Junker's landmines.

darklin0

Banned
The left wall of hanamura defense Point A
Reinhardt holding up his shield spray every time
Smiling Zarya on the archway pillar in Anubis on the choke point of A. I like to believe the frustration it causes gives me strength to hold the point.

I think you just have really bad teammate luck lol

Although lately my eyes narrow when someone on my team picks Mei too-_-
I was actually cooling off on my hate thanks to some really solid GAF players using her.

Then today, I went through a few pub matches while I waited for people to get online, and I got this douche who kept icewalling us at the start of KOTH matches and then throughout the game. And was laughing about it over mic.

Ugh. I'm still salty.

Ranmo

Is there a way to switch Mic channels so that you can talk to the rest of a group if you are paired with a buddy? I couldn't find anything regarding channel changing outside of text chat.

McCree is just about either getting a shot off with the LMB (or whatever primary fire in on consoles) when you aren't close and getting into a position where you can Fan the Hammer and wreck someone's day. Usually a Tracer, a Soldier, sometimes a predictable Pharah but especially healers.

Sometimes I will plan an ambush and let everyone pass by just so I can get in an just light up Mercy's face, usually with a Flashbang at her feet. Even if I die the damage is done and Mercy's no longer there to heal off damage my teammates are hopefully doing or to resurrect anyone still alive.

I think my issue with McCree is I time my Flashbangs poorly or utilize them poorly. A few times I've thrown one out expecting to be able to get a kill and they've recovered and waste me before I can finish them off. Also I have trouble aiming his fan the hammer - actually I also have the same trouble with Roadhog's ult - the kickback that doesn't occur with most other guns in the game throws my aim off every time.

The only thing more satisfying to me was defending a KOTH point and two enemies came in at the same time - I suicide charged and knocked one off into the pit and took the other with me for a double kill that was totally worth it.

Blizzard

Banned
I come back from Mirror's Edge to see a 30MB patch and no patch notes in a couple days. I really hope patch notes start showing up.

Is there a way to switch Mic channels so that you can talk to the rest of a group if you are paired with a buddy? I couldn't find anything regarding channel changing outside of text chat.
Go to the groups tab and click the headphone icons to switch between voice groups.

Mr. X

Hit P and then pick the headset next to Team.

ExVicis

Why would you buff him? His range is insane. Yes he is fairly easy to kill, if you can get close enough with your tank. If he has a slight brain and a proper tank its not that simple.

The minute he gets off his first burst, Bastion's edge is gone. Everyone knows he's around and if the team is smart they should be looking to kill him first because he has a measly 300 health, he can't run away and he's such a big target. He's probably the most vulnerable person on the enemy team. A Roadhog that can get around 40 meters of Bastion basically means Bastion's dead. Two soldiers firing rockets and bursting him down means Bastion's Dead. A McCree who can get a Flashbang off on Bastion means Bastion's dead.

If he has Reinhardt right next to him then all you need to do is remove Reinhardt's shield or push the Reinhardt away and Bastion's right for murder. Or hell you don't even have to do that, Tracer could blink all around the map, build up meter then come in and just throw a bomb on Bastion and Recall and Bastion's dead and Reinhardt's by himself.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Yes you can do this (on PC at least). In the social menu, there should be a tab that says groups and in there you can select which Mic channel you are in. The headset that is filled in is the one you are currently in. So you can set it to be in (and even auto-join) whichever channel (s) you like.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
They need to patch in death match modes and a forced unskippable tutorial for objective games pronto. It's really dragging the game down.

Deathmatch I don't think would work with this game. The skills aren't balanced in that way. Some heroes wouldn't be useful in that mode at all. I hope they never make a Deathmatch mode. People wanting that should go play CoD.

Bastion is a victim of how poorly some of the defense points/chokepoints in the game are designed. He'd be less of a problem if his presence didn't inherently demand team coordination in zones like Hanamura's final defense point which is pretty hard to come by in pub games. His counterplay is clear at a character level but you still need to get in and around the rest of his team taking up equally favourable positions.

Temple of Anubis is terrible about this. The first big doorway is such an obvious choke point it really makes me wonder what was Blizzard's logic when designing this map. Point 2 is a little better but not by much. Long-ass narrow main hallway pretty much forces attackers to always use the alternate routes. There's no instance where approaching Point 2 head on is seen as the better option.

I think Bastion hate is compounded on by how easy it is to get PotG with him. I'm far from the best Bastion (my aiming is not the best and I don't really know the optimal locations to set up my chain gun), but despite the fact that he's my least-played character every time I bring him out I get PotG no matter how mediocre I'm playing. Yesterday I got PotG despite not really doing anything. If Bastions get less front-and-center attention with constant PotGs I think the hate for him will subside.

ExVicis

I think my issue with McCree is I time my Flashbangs poorly or utilize them poorly. A few times I've thrown one out expecting to be able to get a kill and they've recovered and waste me before I can finish them off. Also I have trouble aiming his fan the hammer - actually I also have the same trouble with Roadhog's ult - the kickback that doesn't occur with most other guns in the game throws my aim off every time.
You have to lead with McCree's fan and depending on the distance you have to start at the feet of whoever it is you're shooting at. The big trick to McCree is patience and not blowing your wad. As a McCree you have very few tools at your disposal to live and get kills. All your survival skills are also your offensive skills. So ideally if you can get a kill without a Flashbang, try to get that first and start off aiming in the middle of the character but at their feet. You should roll if that first Fan didn't drop them and they're coming after you or if you really need to get to cover.

As for McCree's last notable ability of High Noon, I tend to use it weirdly. I actually use it as a pursuit tool or for moping up. I would say about 80% of my High Noons are for killing a fleeing Lucio or anything like that. That also means though about 80% of my High Noons probably only get one kill but I think in my head one kill is better than trying to get 5 and everyone hides or they all focus fire me and I die before I do anything.

Rad-

They need to patch in death match modes and a forced unskippable tutorial for objective games pronto. It's really dragging the game down.

They just need to add the ranked mode asap. I'm now part of the problem. I want to practice Widowmaker so I occasionally choose her even if it fucks up my team.

ExVicis

They just need to add the ranked mode asap. I'm now part of the problem. I want to practice Widowmaker so I occasionally choose her even if it fucks up my team.
You monster.

I don't mind Widowmaker picks, I mind people still trying to make it work when we're clearly losing. I'm even more upset when it's someone who was doing decently as one character and switches to a Sniper for the rest of the game and does horrible.

First Junebug potg in June?

You have to lead with McCree's fan and depending on the distance you have to start at the feet of whoever it is you're shooting at. The big trick to McCree is patience and not blowing your wad. As a McCree you have very few tools at your disposal to live and get kills. All your survival skills are also your offensive skills. So ideally if you can get a kill without a Flashbang, try to get that first and start off aiming in the middle of the character but at their feet. You should roll if that first Fan didn't drop them and they're coming after you or if you really need to get to cover.

As for McCree's last notable ability of High Noon, I tend to use it weirdly. I actually use it as a pursuit tool or for moping up. I would say about 80% of my High Noons are for killing a fleeing Lucio or anything like that. That also means though about 80% of my High Noons probably only get one kill but I think in my head one kill is better than trying to get 5 and everyone hides or they all focus fire me and I die before I do anything.

Thanks for this - I'll try all this next time I play as him. Using High Noon correctly has been a gamble for me, yeah. If I don't accidentally panic use it and waste it, I usually try and save it for when I sneak up on and take out a sniper, then use the sniper's position to get a bead on a few people before letting go. Of course I only manage to actually take out the sniper 50% of the time, so.

peakish

Blegh, terrible games tonight. I let my team down. Can't aim, can't think, can't react.

Going to bed crying.

(Think I caught the tail end of some gaffers in a game, sorry to disappoint you)

Son Of D

I dunno how it is on the consoles, but Toblerone is not very good on PC.

The turrets are pretty easy to destroy with Pharah (rockets can't be shot down) and even 76 can do pretty well. Tracer can evade then by blinking around their covered zones and into the point or behind cover. Basically if you come at the turrent with more than 1 hero its completely screwed. But that requires teamwork which is often very hard to get in pubs. =/

If you want to make Toblerone worse, maybe reduce the damage on his shotgun, but even that seems too much for a guy who is basically already not good against experineced players except a few maps.

Honestly in general, it seems like it is a map problem not a Toblerone problem. Anubis Temple is the main culprit and to a lesser extent Gibraltar (right at the end), and Hollywood (right at the beginning) are completely dependant on 1 path. In a map with multiple paths, the hero is much less of a problem as you can flank the turret or go around it.

He's better on consoles since you can't aim as fast. However 1 or even 2 Torbs are fine. But when there's 3+ you need a good team co-ordination to counter them.

charsace

Thank has to be the most picked and most misunderstood character in the game. A hanzo who doesn't know what he's doing can kill a team because it makes the match 6 vs 5.

Tiers are different on console because of the controls. I would also imagine that Mei is even deadlier on console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom