• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Already Has Reached Over 1.1 million players on Steam

Orbital2060

I'm assuming you played the Xbox/gamepass version?

In which case it's an old build (and the console version has performance issues):

There's also no crossplay between the Xbox/gamepass version and the Steam version, it's separated away.

yeah imagine enjoying games you like
Thats cool, it does run like ass on console. But thats not the problem. Its just shallow as a puddle and without any kind of original idea behind it. I will keep this in mind next time someone refers to steam reviews as some sort of mark of quality and good taste.

Ok, it seems like it has surpassed CP2077 now no?

It would be neat if Microsoft could capitalize on its success (custom console editions, marketing etc.) but Microsoft don't know how to do that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr.ODST

Thats cool, it does run like ass on console. But thats not the problem. Its just shallow as a puddle and without any kind of original idea behind it. I will keep this in mind next time someone refers to steam reviews as some sort of mark of quality and good taste.
Your saying the console version runs like ass then go on about steam reviews??? Something tells me your chatting absolute shit to be “different”

“Without any original idea” - now i know your chatting shit

Darsxx82

It is clear that a time has come in the video game industry where it is almost impossible to predict when the next blockbuster game may appear... There is only one clear fact, the trend is that they are multiplayer games and Gaas.

Imagine when a month ago some analyst/journalist said that in 2024 the Gass games were going to take a backseat and that we were not going to see competition for the large GAAS games that were already dominant... Well, 2024 has only just begun and there is already a candidate serious new global mass game and it has come out of nowhere.

I really feel very strange (or maybe old?) these days. The tastes of the masses clearly go in another direction than mine 😂😭

PS. I think we are seeing one of the few lucky breaks from MS in recent times.
Adding the game to Gamepass after its explosion would have been impossible of course.
At that point, and without knowing it, they had added the possible next golden goose of the industry to Gamepass. We'll see if they know how to take advantage of it, but hopes are low seeing how poorly they handle any opportunity that comes their way😂

POKEYCLYDE

Playing on Gamepass. It's my new addiction game. Literally played for like 24 hours straight. First solo for 12 hours, then with friends for 12 hours.

A "shared world" would be nice, instead of a single player (me) having to be online for my 3 buddies to play/progress in our co-op playthrough. But it took grounded a long time to introduce "shared worlds", and games like Terraria don't even have "shared worlds" I don't think.

Game will crash sometimes but me and my friends have never lost progress due to a crash. It surprisingly works very well when all 4 of us are playing (2 Series X owners, a PC player and an Xbox One player).

There are some bugs and glitches, but nothing game breaking or frustrating enough to lessen the enjoyment this game is bringing. It's been so long since a game has brought my core group of friends together to enjoy a co-op game like this.

Filben

Tried it via Game Play knowing next to nothing about this game except for "pokemon with guns". As soon as I climbed the stairs and saw my objective I thought "how many trees do we have to cut down, collect stones and build huts until people get tired of this?". I know already the answer of people liking this genre: never. However, I got to give this game credits for the mashup it does. Survival crafting meets shooter meets pokemon with a touch of some other famous Nintendo games. In this constellation it is new and this is how new genres come into existence. After all genre blending is a natural process that facilitates inovation.

It's definitely not my game but I see the appeal. And, another positive, it runs surprisingly well; even better than many finished games that have their 1.0 version out for months or even years now and doesn't manage to get rid of (micro) stutter or bad performance. Of course it's nowhere near the finish line: sound effects from rivers and waterfalls are missing, the UI is unpolished and text and fonts are either missing not well-alligned.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
JWnpNs6.png

Holammer

Peaking at 1,809,781 right now (and climbing). Now it's a race to see if they can beat PUBG's 3.25M.

My |-GAMER-SENSE-| is tingling... We're gonna see more pok... Palworld clones soon. EPIC built Fortnite on copying PUBG, so them spitting out a pocket monster mode in a few weeks does not sound outlandish.

Last edited:
It is clear that a time has come in the video game industry where it is almost impossible to predict when the next blockbuster game may appear... There is only one clear fact, the trend is that they are multiplayer games and Gaas.
Palworld has a robust single player offline mode, and has no monetisation other than the purchase price. So I have no idea what you are talking about, are you even on the right thread?

Mr.ODST

It can be played single player and has no MT so dunno why your chatting so much shit

Darsxx82

Palworld has a robust single player offline mode, and has no monetisation other than the purchase price. So I have no idea what you are talking about, are you even on the right thread?
Palworld is an early access and unfinished game. Logically, they are not going to squeeze you out day one when they still lack extra content to sell you if they also already charge you for that early access.

You have a lot of faith if you believe that a game with that basic nature (MP survival cooperative) and the need to expand to avoid falling into interest will maintain support solely by maintaining the purchase price in its early access state.
Microtransactions, or expansions, or DLCs, etc. are going to be a fact for the game at some point, as happens in 90% of the cases in this type of proposals. Especially in those super successful ones.

Freeman76

Palworld is an early access and unfinished game. Logically, they are not going to squeeze you out day one when they still lack extra content to sell you if they also already charge you for that early access.

You have a lot of faith if you believe that a game with that basic nature (MP survival cooperative) and the need to expand to avoid falling into interest will maintain support solely by maintaining the purchase price in its early access state.
Microtransactions, or expansions, or DLCs, etc. are going to be a fact for the game at some point, as happens in 90% of the cases in this type of proposals. Especially in those super successful ones.

Not saying you're wrong in the case of Palworld as they will rinse the fuck out of it and probably leave it unfinished like their other game, but unless you're new to gaming and dont know otherwise games existed for years and made huge profits without todays business model. Corporate greed took over gaming

We are on 2024. Of COURSE A developers would sell an unfinished game and give you a real money store as their number one priority. Look at the entire launch of Fallout76.

Frankly you are either ignorant of gaming or pretending to not know what you are talking about. Either way I am not sure I can explain how the AAA gaming landscape is so bad and how different Palworld is. Hint; it does not have forced online. Thus you can't monetize as you can't control the content of the customer's game. Thus no lootboxes. Thus no paid skins. Forced online is a requirement for monetization.

Darsxx82

We are on 2024. Of COURSE A developers would sell an unfinished game and give you a real money store as their number one priority. Look at the entire launch of Fallout76.

Frankly you are either ignorant of gaming or pretending to not know what you are talking about. Either way I am not sure I can explain how the AAA gaming landscape is so bad and how different Palworld is. Hint; it does not have forced online. Thus you can't monetize as you can't control the content of the customer's game. Thus no lootboxes. Thus no paid skins. Forced online is a requirement for monetization.

You are presenting Palworld as if it were a finished game and also as if its base nature were that of an offline SP game. Sorry, it's the opposite. Its tremendous success has more to do with the world and cooperative online component.
And no, ignorance comes from believing that games of this type that accumulate so much success that they want to maintain along with the interest of the community is something cheap. Or that the Studio is special and has a non-profit motive and will lose the opportunity to get the most economic benefit from its work.
Gass Game doesn't have to mean microtransactions. Whether via expansions, DLCs of any type, the cost of support and expansion of the game will have to be supported in extra income.

It's easy, it's just a matter of time to see what will happen. But definitely these types of proposals that become successful will certainly not end up being supported only by the purchase price of its early access state.

Darsxx82

Not saying you're wrong in the case of Palworld as they will rinse the fuck out of it and probably leave it unfinished like their other game, but unless you're new to gaming and dont know otherwise games existed for years and made huge profits without todays business model. Corporate greed took over gaming
Given the situation in the industry and the things that we have seen, of course that situation in which the Studio becomes golden and limits itself to launching a 1.0 version with hardly any difference with the early access and living off of specific success is not disposable.

But the discussion was based on it becoming a mass phenomenon and wanting to extend that success over years... Definitely that objective is going to require new income or some type of monetization (be it microtransactions, expansions, Dlcs, . ..)
The discusión was also that types of games today appear out of nowhere and become a mass phenomenon... and the trend is that in the vast majority of cases they all tend to have an online and multiplayer component in expansive worlds. And Palworlds falls into that group.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We know it's a multiplayer oriented game for two reasons...

1. The official Steam description reads... "Fight, farm, build and work alongside mysterious creatures called "Pals" in this completely new multiplayer, open world survival and crafting game!"

2. We've never seen a single player equivalent blow up in nearly the same way. Only multiplayer does that.

We know it's a multiplayer oriented game for two reasons...

1. The official Steam description reads... "Fight, farm, build and work alongside mysterious creatures called "Pals" in this completely new multiplayer, open world survival and crafting game!"

2. We've never seen a single player equivalent blow up in nearly the same way. Only multiplayer does that.
And yet, if this was a forced-online title, we would be on the fourth consecutive day of the media playing up how people couldn't log on due to server congestion.

This game has server congestion issues just like any popular new game, but no one is making news articles about it because people don't feel left out as the offline experience is very much serviceable. The multiplayer is an option, a feature, but just like the guns, not the main point.

The game marketing talks about guns, but it takes a lot of time to get to the higher tech tree in the actual game. Marketing is not the same as the real game, especially since they don't have a marketing department and are just winging it.

Top Bottom