• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld |OT + Review Thread | Pokémon Gun

Draugoth

Gold Member
bhCmPP6.png

oVAE5tg.png

Rvget38.png

jRFzEMg.jpg

Vmzpn46.png

5D40WgB.png

Review Videos

SAIciVy.png

Palworld Story Plot​

Palworld isn’t a story-driven game. However, it has story elements littered throughout Palpagos Island where the game takes place. There are even faction leaders that you could have various interactions with, particularly the hostile kind. The game unfolds on the Palpagos Island, a strange land where curious creatures known as "Pals" roam freely. But after it was discovered, numerous factions have occupied the land and started to exploit its resources and creatures. Players take control of an explorer who finds themselves washed up on shore following a shipwreck. To survive in this unfamiliar land full of ambitious cliques, players must rely on the unique Pals that inhabit the island.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It bums me out there is no story, makes this all seem like a passionless cash grab..

Imagine how funny a story in this game could be.
One of the reviews mentioned that quests might be coming. I don’t think they’ve ever said anything more than it being an open world crafting game, like Minecraft or ARK. Except with Pals.

Bridges

This studio's last game, Craftopia, was a survival/crafting game with a pretty shameless BOTW skin on it. But it was pretty fun. I imagine this game will be very similar to that but with the addition of the pals

Fbh

Didn't realize that at its core it's a survival crafting game.
There goes any interest I might have had in it.

The presentations looks pretty nice though. Makes you wonder what a next gen Pokemon would look like if the Switch 2 has decent hardware and The Pokemon Company gives a shit for a change.

The presentations looks pretty nice though. Makes you wonder what a next gen Pokemon would look like if the Switch 2 has decent hardware and The Pokemon Company gives a shit for a change.
I've been watching previews an the entire game is about running around hammering at things. Sometimes you run off to catch a Pall then run back to your base and hammer more things.
This is not Pokemon with Guns, It's Pokemon with hammers.

Holammer

Wow if this trash sell I will go to a fancy restaurant next month.
Might as well make reservations now. Unless that thing sets your computer on fire, it's going to sell gangbusters.
Survival/Crafting is the secret sauce for success in the PC scene.

I'm also expecting to see a lot of weirdos being enable to process the fact that it sells on Steam when it's "free" on Gamepass.

startrek-trek.gif

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Im grabbing it but Im scared because it's an Early access which means it can be 3+ years till it officially releases. How feature complete is this day 1?

I've been watching previews an the entire game is about running around hammering at things. Sometimes you run off to catch a Pall then run back to your base and hammer more things.
This is not Pokemon with Guns, It's Pokemon with hammers.
I hope its not heavy on the crafting and survival side. Can't wait for the Pokemon crossover event that's not going to happen.
After watching three of the preview videos these seem to be the positives and negatives:

-The game starts out heavily focused on crafting. You'll need to craft the capture balls and home base, however, there is a positive:
+The devs were smart enough to make it so that after some hours, once you hit a stride with your PAL collection, you can have them do the busywork part of collecting/crafting for you, essentially putting them on tasks that you would no longer want to spend time on doing.
+This same smart design is used for traversal. When you start to find and capture mounted PALs, you'll no longer have to worry as much about the player stamina system when climbing, swimming, etc.

-The only survival mechanic is hunger, however, there is a positive:
+Food ingredients are easy enough to find and food crafting will give you and your PALs big bonuses in combat, crafting, and speed.

-Player weapon combat is too simplistic as of now, however, there is a positive:
+PAL combat and fighting with your PALs is much more fleshed out and it makes the game feel more like you're commanding a small team especially on boss fights

-The story is mainly in the beginning portion of the game as it tells you there are boss towers you will have to conquer in each region.
+You are free to tackle them in any order and there will also be world bosses roaming around that can be fought in any order.
(I personally think they should just use a soulslike-adjacent storytelling method if they don't have the budget for something greater)

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

It doesn't fully pull the trigger on the survival aspects (and thank goodness for that). It is used in the beginning to show you the ropes and then later on it is used as a background mechanic so that you can get to PAL hunting faster and more efficiently.

My own personal hope is that there is a hard mode for this game. Right now it seems too easy and I want to feel the struggle of these fights, much like some of the harder Pokemon games out there where you weren't sure if you could make it to that next save point.

SJRB

Gold Member
BOYS WHAT'S POPULAR BECAUSE I WAS THINKING WHAT I9F GAME BUT POKEMON CRAFTING FORTNITE SURVIVAL MINECRAFT BASE BUILDING WE COULD DO IT NOW LETS TALK LUNCH TIME AT SCHOOL TOMORROW

BRO YOU WORK WITH COMPUTERS RIGHT I HAVE A 100000000 DOLLAR IDEA FOR A GAME

TEXT ME BACK

nikos

Once again, the Game Pass version is older than the Steam version so it's missing a lot of the fixes and DLSS isn't functional.

Going to play for a bit and buy it on Steam if I'm into it. One thing I don't like about a lot of these types of games is the lack of a persistent online world and things not carrying over between single and multiplayer.

Holammer

Once again, the Game Pass version is older than the Steam version so it's missing a lot of the fixes and DLSS isn't functional.

Going to play for a bit and buy it on Steam if I'm into it. One thing I don't like about a lot of these types of games is the lack of a persistent online world and things not carrying over between single and multiplayer.
How odd, I guess a cert process is getting in the way. While patching on Steam is done with zero friction.

Good news from watching some streams, there are difficulty settings and this is what they are:

Casual Difficulty:

Easier Battles
PALs are easier to catch
Gain more XP
Faster resource and egg gathering
No death penalties

Normal Difficulty:

Normal Battles
PALs regular catching chance
Normal XP
Normal resource and egg gathering
Death Penalties: All equipment and material items are dropped upon death (soulslike)

Hard Difficulty:

New encounter
: Ferocious wild PALs
New encounter: Harsher weather (Odd wording on description?)
Hard Battles
PALs are harder to catch
Gain less XP
Longer resource and egg gathering
Death Penalties: All equipment, material items, and held PALs are dropped upon death (soulslike)

Custom Difficulty:

Every setting listed above including many more settings are able to be changed with sliders. Want more of a soulslike gotta catch 'em all experience and less of a resource/crafting grind? It can be done. Want more of a minecraft resource/crafting/survival experience with less soulslike? It can be done.

Also, this is not online-only/MMO. The game's setup works like kind of like Minecraft to where you can choose to load into a single player world, or you can load into a public world, or load into a password-only world.

Hope this helps those who are on the fence. I think I'm sold because I can turn down crafting but keep everything else difficult.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t know how steam players keep getting fooled into playing these FOTM survivalslop games but it’s a great grift if you can pull it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom