• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld |OT + Review Thread | Pokémon Gun

envyzeal

It'll be hyped for 2-3 months then updates will slowly trickle and people will lose interest. I'm sure it'll stay in the 30k range in a years time but that depends on if they can release a full MP server based game with people raiding bases like Rust.

One thing for sure: if its successful enough, we'll get a Fortnite mode out of it

Ribi

One thing for sure: if its successful enough, we'll get a Fortnite mode out of it
Lego fortnite with Lego monsters that you capture... It's probably already in the works as an addon to the Lego one

But the question becomes is it popular because:

Pokemon?
Survival?
Building?
Or guns?

My answer: you add guns to anything cute and you got a winner

Last edited:

Holammer

Now we have a Steam Takeover/Hero for Palworld.
Game officially made it.

NVurWTP.jpg

dem

Runs pretty crappy on Series X tbh..
Definitely not smooth

And the look speed might be the slowest ive ever seen

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Runs pretty crappy on Series X tbh..
Definitely not smooth

And the look speed might be the slowest ive ever seen
I didn’t have any performance issues on Series X. Then again, I was doing remote play on my phone and might not have noticed.

You can change the look speed.

dem

I didn’t have any performance issues on Series X. Then again, I was doing remote play on my phone and might not have noticed.

You can change the look speed.

It feels like its 30 fps... Maybe its 40-50.. but definitely not 60.

I doubled the look speed but it still felt terrible. I only played around with it for 10 minutes at lunch though.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It feels like its 30 fps...

Definitely not 60.

I doubled the look speed but it still felt terrible. I only played around with it for 10 minutes at lunch though.
I honestly can’t remember if it was 30 or 60. There was no option for performance or quality, so I kind of just played.

Last edited:

dem

The other thing I noticed in my first 10 minutes...

The sounds seem like they are directly ripped out of Zelda.

ssringo

Bought it on a whim since there's another week until Infinite Wealth releases and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it just with the few Pals at the starting area. Good blend of mechanics.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The other thing I noticed in my first 10 minutes...

The sounds seem like they are directly ripped out of Zelda.
I thought the sounds were worse versions of Zelda noises. I will definitely be turning down some of the sound options. I think it’s cool when games give the option to turn different sounds up and down. I think I remember there being like 7 or 8 different sound options.

Holammer

Ironic that the company who created a game that blatantly rips Pokemon character designs and seemingly assets from other Nintendo games expressly prohibits:
  • Expressions that could be mistakenly recognized as our company's official products
That's standard legal language, but it got me thinking, are there any gardevoir level creatures in the game ready to be sexualized?
... that's a joke, all of them will be R34'd.

Holammer

4PWPG51.jpg

I was thinking about it buying it while steam made a strange sound in the background.
Oddly enough from the last guy I expected it from. He's not into survival/crafting or even played a pokemon game, but he's setting up a server tomorrow.

Casual mode is the way to go. You get nearly double the resources and experience.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Give me my casual modes for my casual ass.

I think I will do custom difficulty. I want the thrills of ferocious PALs, harder battles, and the soulslike death risk, but just not the resource and egg gathering grind.

I did the same custom settings with No Man's Sky and fuel. Even in the original version of NMS the amount of fuel usage for small tasks felt way too high.

simpatico

Friends I fear this is a bio weapon aim at extremely online weebs. This looks like the perfect distillation of weeb art mixed with the current meta of online survival games. It's going to destroy people. Bank accounts as well as free time. I'd urge you guys to resist.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
PC Gamepass version issues right off the bat. The Invert X and Y are backwards. Controller prompts are missing.
NO DLSS option.
None of that is on the Series X game pass. Weird.
Friends I fear this is a bio weapon aim at extremely online weebs. This looks like the perfect distillation of weeb art mixed with the current meta of online survival games. It's going to destroy people. Bank accounts as well as free time. I'd urge you guys to resist.
I don’t think there are any microtransactions.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played for about 4 hours today (on PC). Tons of fun, they captured that "Pokemon" feel pretty well and combined it with ARK type survival / base building. About to take on my first tower, I'm level 14.

Not sure why people are calling this GaaS... I guess just because it's on Game Pass? I'll probably buy this outright on Steam.

Holammer

80449DA7C59028DBA7CCD0F1ED31CFE9A730108B

Only two hours in, guy that gifted it to me just messaged me:
"Fuck, I was suppose to go to bed, have to get up in 3 hours. I only meant to try it!".

I been playing it. They say Pokemon with guns, but it's more like Pokemon, Valheim and Ark had a threesome baby and nobody knows who the father is. That's not a bad thing.

Well optimized, running in 4k 120fps with settings maxed out. It's a fun game.
I would add Breath of the Wild and call it a foursome. Also, game peaked at 414k.

You're thinking of Genshin Impact.
the next big thing?
If they update it consistently, yes.

Valedix

80449DA7C59028DBA7CCD0F1ED31CFE9A730108B

Only two hours in, guy that gifted it to me just messaged me:
"Fuck, I was suppose to go to bed, have to get up in 3 hours. I only meant to try it!".

I would add Breath of the Wild and call it a foursome. Also, game peaked at 414k.
Currently at 539k players.

Krieger

How long until Nintendo sues the developer into oblivion? They won't even allow fan projects which respect the original games, so imagine the hell they will unleash on the dude who created "Pokémon with guns and slavery."

CamHostage

Im grabbing it but Im scared because it's an Early access which means it can be 3+ years till it officially releases. How feature complete is this day 1?

Heh, "feature complete"??

It's an open-world survival/crafting/farming/looting game that mashes the developer's own hinky Craftopia (3 years in Early Access and still going) with a Pokemon parody/kitbash coating.

This game wasn't ever made to be "officially released". It was made to pay off right now and, if it works, to keep adding features and shit for as long as the fad runs on (maybe forever, we'll see, but the more successful it does, the more the idea of "feature complete" becomes a pipe dream as it builds for expansion and service.)

It might hit 1.0 some day and lose the Early Access designation (which is sort of a marketing stunt of itself, that s game gets 2 launch days in the press cycle, ) but games like this are never complete.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I got 40 pals, 15 different types.

I found a couple of eggs that hatched a wolf and some sea serpent. Both are mountable. I just made the saddles. The sea serpent lets me swim without using stamina, and the wolf makes traveling around much faster.

Top Bottom