• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld |OT + Review Thread | Pokémon Gun

consoul

In a way, what it does feel like is a load of gamers sat around having a laugh chatting about what they would love to see in a game and then putting that all into GAMEGPT and letting an AI spit out the game code!

Maybe that's what they mean by cheating?
It totally feels like that, and there'll be more of it coming. The industry will need to adapt.

I think there are questions about what the AI models were trained on. It does feel a bit sketchy tbf, but I doubt there'll be anything legally actionable found.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Hit level 14, tried the tower boss. Said hovering over the icon level 10, but that boss 2 shot me. Back to the exploration I go. lol
Yeah I think you gotta be around level 16 for the first tower. Having good ice attackers makes a huge difference. If you can grab the Chillet and Penking bosses first, they are awesome.

CeeJay

Yeah I think you gotta be around level 16 for the first tower. Having good ice attackers makes a huge difference. If you can grab the Chillet and Penking bosses first, they are awesome.
Thanks for the tips there, i'm level 20 and haven't attempted it as yet, i've got a Chillet and a load of Pengullets for ice attacks. I could do with getting the incubator again since they changed it to require Ancient Civ Parts. I got a chest full of eggs to hatch.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

oooh wheres the penkingboss please?

I need to do some more exploring.

SF Kosmo

oooh wheres the penkingboss please?

I need to do some more exploring.
In that red and gray area a little to the north of the starting syndicate tower. He's in a dungeon by the fast travel statue. He's a motherfucker in his own right, about level 15, male sure you have the flamethrower, maybe more than one.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Small update :

[Patch Notice]
・Steam version patch v0.1.3.0
・Xbox version patch v0.1.1.1

Steam version v0.1.3.0 update has been released.
(Xbox version v0.1.1.1 will be released as soon as it is ready)

Changes are as follows:

===

▼Main changes
・Fixed a bug where the loading screen did not end when logging into the world
・Fixed a bug where the world date was not displayed correctly and appeared to reset.
・Corrected various incorrect text
・Countermeasures against various cheats and exploits

===
We will continue to place top priority on fixing major issues.
Thank you for your continued support of Palworld.

nashman

Unlocked the musket and it absolutly claps! You can one shot level 15+ pals. Damn with the bow your not doing much damage just dodging and letting your Pals do the work. Now I feel like I can fight again!

Mikado

Gold Member
Unlocked the musket and it absolutly claps! You can one shot level 15+ pals. Damn with the bow your not doing much damage just dodging and letting your Pals do the work. Now I feel like I can fight again!

Love the one-shot, one-kill aspect of it but those reload times... :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Got an upgraded 1911 at this point which is ok but really hope there's some kind of, like bolt-action rifle that has the stopping power of the musket but less stupid-long reload times haha.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Fuck this game is crack

oosh5mv.png

Kssio_Aug

I thought I wouldn't like it because I didn't use to enjoy survival games, and I always thought they were supposed to be played multiplayer.

However, I decided to check why all the hype, and venture myself in single player, and holy shit...

I spent almost 4 hours straight playing, while I actually needed to sleep. I was legitimately surprised by how fun it was to play!

Is Grounded, Valheim and Ark this fun to play solo? If they are I will definitely check them out as well!

Last edited:

GHG

30 hours now.

rick james cocaine GIF

By the way if anyone wants a gun early then get a flying or water mount ASAP and head south of the starting area. There's an interesting little island there that has a bunch of chests on it, found a handgun schematic in it. It requires a lot of materials to craft but it will get you access the handgun 10 levels earlier than you would otherwise.

Also I have no idea why the Musket is so satisfying to use in this, it's fucking hilarious one shotting pals with it.

Is Grounded, Valheim and Ark this fun to play solo? If they are I will definitely check them out as well!

No, not even close. That's not to say those aren't good games, but this is something else.

Last edited:

SCB3

Quite a productive day since not playing for about a week to concentrate on Sea of Stars

Finally at level 15 and finished:
  • The Penking Dungeon
  • Zoe and Grizz
  • Found a new town
And have a nice team going, production is coming along nicely for my Slav...I mean Pals

Its alot harder than I expected as well, a nice change of pace, I'm also playing through Pokemon White atm and the comparisons to Pokemon really do start and end at "Cute Catchable Monsters" they're very different games

Gideon

I will say if none of the dev used Unreal and then made what is a pretty stable albeit Early Access game in only a few years, then I'm impressed
Yeah they were using unity until one engineer they hired convinced them to discard everything they made and switch to unreal engine and that one engineer had to teach every other employee how to use unreal engine (including the ceo)..

Here's the link if interested.

Exentryk

Started this over the weekend:

Pros:
  • The real time monster fights are pretty cool, even as a spectator.
  • The world exploration and catching new Pals is a nice gameplay loop.
  • Unlocking new stuff for Pals is pretty cool, and the early game has a nice progression from you walking/running to using a ground mount to using a flying mount. The moment when you use a flying mount especially is an amazing feeling, as the whole world becomes more easier to explore.
  • Graphics are adequate.
Cons:
  • The base building stuff, while addicting at the start, can use some streamlining though.
    • Do I really need a Sphere Workbench and a Weapon Workbench when the normal/enhanced workbench can manage it?
    • The weight restriction just makes the game tedious and you're wasting more time in the inventory trying to manage resources than actually playing the game.
    • The durability is another resource management tedium.
  • Could use more story-telling and cutscenes.
  • Could copy less things from Nintendo games like Zelda sound effects, hot/cold UI, etc, and be original.
Considering it is in early access, which might mean lots more to build, it's quite decent already though. I'm currently around level 19 and certainly enjoying the game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I played a little bit of it today. It's a good game. Surprisingly complex and evolved. Some of the Pals are very similar to Pokémon. But other than catching them in a ball, the gameplay is not that similar I wonder what will happen in the future.

GHG

Started this over the weekend:

Pros:
  • The real time monster fights are pretty cool, even as a spectator.
  • The world exploration and catching new Pals is a nice gameplay loop.
  • Unlocking new stuff for Pals is pretty cool, and the early game has a nice progression from you walking/running to using a ground mount to using a flying mount. The moment when you use a flying mount especially is an amazing feeling, as the whole world becomes more easier to explore.
  • Graphics are adequate.
Cons:
  • The base building stuff, while addicting at the start, can use some streamlining though.
    • Do I really need a Sphere Workbench and a Weapon Workbench when the normal/enhanced workbench can manage it?
    • The weight restriction just makes the game tedious and you're wasting more time in the inventory trying to manage resources than actually playing the game.
    • The durability is another resource management tedium.
  • Could use more story-telling and cutscenes.
  • Could copy less things from Nintendo games like Zelda sound effects, hot/cold UI, etc, and be original.
Considering it is in early access, which might mean lots more to build, it's quite decent already though. I'm currently around level 19 and certainly enjoying the game.

Even though the game doesn't tell you it, you should dismantle any benches or structures that later end up being upgraded via the technology tree. There's no need to keep the older version around, you're better off getting the materials back and putting them towards the newer more efficient version.

Regarding the weight limit, put your points in weight early on but if you're at your base make sure you have a couple of pals who have the transportation ability (the box symbol) and a bunch of storage chests scattered around the base with free capacity. That way you can literally just drop anything you want to be stored on the floor and your pals will come along and pick them up for you to take them away to your storage chests.

Durability is a standard survival game feature, there's not really any way around it other than to just monitor it.

Over 40 hours in now, had the 90 different pals captured achievement pop today, just 4.7% of players have made it that far according to steam. I think I'll finish this early access version (because I really enjoy the structure of the exploration and mechanics as they are now and I fear they will ruin them somehow in updates), and might revisit it again for another playthrough if it ever leaves early access in the future.

Last edited:

Holammer

I thought I wouldn't like it because I didn't use to enjoy survival games, and I always thought they were supposed to be played multiplayer.

However, I decided to check why all the hype, and venture myself in single player, and holy shit...

I spent almost 4 hours straight playing, while I actually needed to sleep. I was legitimately surprised by how fun it was to play!

Valheim works fine alone. Enemies are not as fun and much rougher, but the building element is more far more complex/rewarding and maps are randomly generated. It's absolutely amazing visually. I still play it now and then.

Conan Exiles like Palworld got pokemon collection, except it's other humans. You knock 'em over and drag them to your base, break them at the wheel & put them to work. Got pretty complex building and works fine solo too. Very extensive Steam Workshop support improve ASSets and keep you aBREAST with mods.

94e.gif

Haven't touched Grounded or Ark.

SF Kosmo

Valheim works fine alone. Enemies are not as fun and much rougher, but the building element is more far more complex/rewarding and maps are randomly generated. It's absolutely amazing visually. I still play it now and then.

Conan Exiles like Palworld got pokemon collection, except it's other humans. You knock 'em over and drag them to your base, break them at the wheel & put them to work. Got pretty complex building and works fine solo too. Very extensive Steam Workshop support improve ASSets and keep you aBREAST with mods.

94e.gif

Haven't touched Grounded or Ark.
Grounded and Conan are pretty good, Grounded is probably the most polished of these games that I've played and one of the best looking.

But for whatever reason Palworld is very addictive. It's vast and open and there's always a ton of different goals I am working towards.

CeeJay

Even though the game doesn't tell you it, you should dismantle any benches or structures that later end up being upgraded via the technology tree. There's no need to keep the older version around, you're better off getting the materials back and putting them towards the newer more efficient version.
It's worth keeping a hold of the older benches if you want to craft multiple items at the same time. It allows you to queue up a load of palballs, arrows and cloth for example and go off exploring.

Roxkis_ii

Just learned a tip, you can use some Pal to ram ore instead of using your pick axe (I use the hog looking pal).

I get about 20 ores a ram.

Matter of fact, anything that you use your pick axe for can be mined using raming.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just learned a tip, you can use some Pal to ram ore instead of using your pick axe (I use the hog looking pal).

I get about 20 ores a ram.

Matter of fact, anything that you use your pick axe for can be mined using raming.
The giant turtle that has drills on its shell is a must for your party. It can mine pretty fast. Just throw its sphere at what you want mined and it’s done in a few seconds.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Props ro them in getting these patches out asap.

You could have imagined a world where they focused on the steam version due to its popularity there but the xbox version is crazy popular too and they are supporting it.

Good on em.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The game is fine. More of a survival game than a Monster Catching game. My friends are all super into it. I had fun playing it but im not as into it as them. Look forward to seeing how the game evolves

JackMcGunns

Got the option to unlock the musket right now, but also the Hand gun :pie_thinking:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m level 44. Still hooked.

I found a merchant that sells ammo. I’m thinking about capturing him to keep at my base forever.

Also, last night I got the achievement for capturing 90 different Pal species.

Last edited:

Holammer

I’m level 44. Still hooked.

I found a merchant that sells ammo. I’m thinking about capturing him to keep at my base forever.

Also, last night I got the achievement for capturing 90 different Pal species.
I play with a friend so my progress is a little bit limited by random diaper changes and that sort of stuff.
Still got 55.9h innit.

Top Bottom