• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PC Gamer] The top 100 PC games in 2022

Jennings

Once a year, the global PC Gamer team gathers. The topic: What are the best 100 PC games that you can play today? Ahead of the discussion, the team suggests additions, changes and removals. We then gather over the following hours and days to painstakingly discuss every suggestion. To an outside observer, it might have the appearance of a big, week-long argument. The result of that discussion is this list, which is our attempt to turn the different opinions and tastes of a nearly 30-person team into an earnest catalogue of our current recommendations—games we think that every PC Gamer should experience.
There are a few rules and principles we stick to. Firstly, this is not a list of the most important PC games. Rather, these are our picks of the best PC games to play right now. How influential a game was doesn't matter. How much we enjoyed playing it at the time is not our concern. The simple question, always, is: does this hold up today? Secondly, we want to celebrate the breadth and variety of PC gaming. To that end, we limit ourselves to one game per series. Sorry Half-Life 2, but if Half-Life: Alyx is in the list, you can't be too.

10 Final Fanatasy XIV
9 The Witcher 3
8 Minecraft
7 Slay the Spire
6 Hunt: Showdown
5 Hitman 3
4 Apex Legends
3 Crusade Kings 3
2 Elden Ring
1 Disco Elysium

Last edited:

Jennings

Sorry, what is the point of calling a 2022 list with games years and years old?

EDIT: Oh, it seems it was just a top 100 list and OP for some reason wanted to put 2022 in it.

Anyway, shit list, as always with this kind of lists
I put 2022 in it because it's this years list, not to be confused with last years list or next year's list. It keeps past and future PC Gamer top 100 threads orderly and the title relevant to the content.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There’s great games on the list, but the order I certainly wouldn’t agree with.

No biggie, PC Gamer’s the trash site for PC anything. Bunch of Epic Games shills.

Topher

Gold Member
"Secondly, we want to celebrate the breadth and variety of PC gaming. To that end, we limit ourselves to one game per series. Sorry Half-Life 2, but if Half-Life: Alyx is in the list, you can't be too."

Nicolas Cage Bullshit GIF

What an obsolete joke. How do you not have the unquestionably best shooter of the last 10 years on the list, but still have 10 or so mediocre ones instead. I need to blacklist that trash site. :pie_bull:

zcaa0g

Banned
It's a stupid list with stupid criteria, because it's about top 100 "all-time" games to play today, but they then only largely pick new games in the top 25 or so range. Uh... I rather play a 22 year old Deus Ex over lots of the shit today's games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
did not expect to see hitman 3 there. The whole trilogy is oen of the best modern immersive sims of all time and I'm glad to see it get some recognition. We need more.

It's actually a pretty decent list of must plays from recent years. For instance they put Warhammer Total War 2 and not 3 on there, which shows they put some thought into this.

That said there are some duds in there, Alyx should be much higher, and where's Starcraft and AoE2 remastered...?

Last edited:

tommib

I think I need to try Slay the Spire. Might get it on the App Store. Keep hearing about it.

Disco is one of the best games I’ve played in the last 10 years. Unbelievably well put together game. Incredible package of art, design, music, overall atmosphere.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I always thought PC Gamer was still a pretty decent outlet, but this is hard to understand. I suspect they lost a lot of their veteran people and hired blog journalists who only own a PSP and an iPad.

It's like they are trying to be smart and list easy-to-play games for newcomers, but in doing so, they end up with a list that makes no sense. I don't know what I am looking at.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The primary issue with these sorts of lists is that the current crop of games journalists has no appreciation for, or even real knowledge of, the industry from more than 5 years ago. This is either because they're really young or really dumb, but I'd argue that there's little validity to their opinions either way.

Edit: This is pretty specific, but the best top 100 list like this that I've seen is still the one that EGM ran in their 150th issue, back in November 2001 or somewhere around there. Better games in general, it covered a wide span of time and genres, and the write-ups justify the games' inclusion well.

Last edited:

Ivan

A new low for pc gamer... What happened to them over the years?

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here are our five best PC games of 2022 and five honorable mentions that you should check out ASAP.

The PC gaming ecosystem is easily the largest in the industry, with tens of thousands of games available to play. Not only that, unlike Switch or PlayStation, there isn't exactly a "first-party" publisher on PC, which means there are few true marquee exclusive games on the platform. Therefore, this list of the year's five best PC games naturally features games you'll sometimes (though not always) find elsewhere, but in cases where multiplatform games appear, we believe they're best played on PC and deserve a spot on this list. This year's list is an eclectic bunch, too, with a speedrunning gem, a deep detective-like experience, and a physics playground all earning top spots.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

2022 dropped tons of games on the PC gaming world. Here are some of the best games.

0:00 Intro
0:10 Scorn
1:03 Stray
1:42 Ghostwire: Tokyo
2:30 God of War
3:05 TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III
3:46 Entropy : Zero 2
4:22 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
5:05 MultiVersus
5:37 Dying Light 2 Stay Human
6:12 Sonic Frontiers
6:50 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
7:21 Grounded
7:47 Marvel's Midnight Suns
8:28 A Plague Tale: Requiem
9:04 Cult of the Lamb
9:39 Rollerdrome
10:16 The Planet Crafter
10:48 Teardown
11:23 SIFU
12:06 Metal: Hellsinger
12:30 Warhammer 40K Darktide
13:08 Chained Echoes
13:45 Cuphead in the Delicious Last Course
14:13 Marvel's Spider-Man
14:55 Persona 5 Royal
15:23 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
15:54 Monster Hunter Rise
16:26 Vampire Survivors
17:10 Dwarf Fortress
18:03 Elden Ring
BONUS

#30 Scorn

Platform : PC XSX|S

Release Date : 14 October 2022

#29 Stray

Platform : PC PS4 PS5

Release Date : 19 July 2022

#28 Ghostwire: Tokyo

Platform : PC PS5

Release Date : March 25, 2022

#27 God of War

Platform : PC

Release Date : January 14, 2022

#26 TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III

Release Date : 17 February 2022

#25 Entropy : Zero 2

Release Date : August 20, 2022

#24 LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Platform : PC PS5 PS4 Xbox One XSX|S Switch

Release Date : 5 April 2022

#23 MultiVersus

Platform : PC PS5 PS4 Xbox One XSX|S

Release Date : 19 July 2022

#22 Dying Light 2 Stay Human

Platform : PC Xbox One XSX|S PS5 PS4

Release Date : February 4, 2022

#21 Sonic Frontiers

Release Date : November 8, 2022

#20 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion

Release Date : December 13, 2022

#19 Grounded

Platform : PC XSX|S Xbox One

Release Date : September 27, 2022

#18 Marvel's Midnight Suns

Platform : PC PS5 XSX|S

Release Date : December 2, 2022

#17 A Plague Tale: Requiem

Platform : PC PS5 XSX|S Switch

Release Date : 18 October 2022

#16 Cult of the Lamb

Release Date : 11 August 2022

#15 Rollerdrome

Platform : PC PS4 PS5

Release Date : August 16, 2022

#14 The Planet Crafter

Release Date : 24 March 2022

#13 Teardown

Release Date : 21 April 2022

#12 SIFU

Platform : PC PS4 PS5. Switch

Release Date : February 8, 2022

#11 Metal: Hellsinger

Platform : PC PS5 PS4 Xbox One XSX|S

Release Date : September 15, 2022

#10 Warhammer 40K Darktide

Release Date : 30 November 2022

#9 Chained Echoes

Platform : PC PS4 Xbox One Switch

Release Date : December 8, 2022

#8 Cuphead in the Delicious Last Course

Platform : PC PS4 Xbox One Switch

Release Date : June 30, 2022

#7 Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales + Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Platform : PC November 18, 2022

Release Date : PC August 12, 2022

#6 Persona 5 Royal

Platform : PC PS5 Xbox One XSX|S Switch.

Release Date : October 21, 2022

#5 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Release Date : October 19, 2022

#4 Monster Hunter Rise

Release Date : January 12, 2022

#3 Vampire Survivors

Platform : PC Xbox One XSX|S

Release Date : October 20, 2022

#2 Dwarf Fortress