• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenichiro Yoshida: Playstation will expand gaming experience to PC, mobile and cloud

//DEVIL//

Chill out man you can keep playing your 20-30 fps and low settings games. Everyone will be happy.
Futurama Squinting GIF

clearly you think I am a console guy... lol

twilo99

With their big focus on GAAS, it was said by an exec a year or two ago GAAS kinds of games will be day one PC (like Helldivers 2). Just a matter if/when the SP games join in.

Having PC ports right away is good not just for PC gamers, but assuming it's a cross plat one time purchase, you buy the game once and can play on console and PC with cross saves too. Gives gamers and families options where to play.

That’s exactly what you get with Xbox today.

//DEVIL//

Nah, PC is a required pillar - just like mobile.

Games cost way too much money to make now, and console game sales are not enough. That’s the reality of how things are now. You want big multimillion dollar blockbuster AAA games? Be prepared for other platforms to have access to that same game. And it’s way less money to put them there.
This is a different problem. games cost so much these days because western development environment a is requiring to hire incompetent woke and forced diversity even if they are not very talented. studio sizes jumped in crazy numbers ---> which makes the games cost more to make.

You do not see this problem with Japanese devs and they release one big AAA game after the other whatever its Square-Enix or Capcom or whatever. only US and west Europe that are having this issue of games cost way too much ( or at least way too much more than it should compared to eastern region ).

and even if I to assume you are right and I am wrong 100%. do not release the games on PC day one and devalue your console ? Give the console some perks to justify buying one. games come 2 years on console before the PC get the better port etc. but nope. lets fuck these consoles and make them worthless even though we design and sell them lol.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yea Sony is moving more and more to PC but they are doing it in a weird way. Like why isn't GT7 on PC? Why isn't Ghost and Demon Souls and R&C 2016? I just don't get the strategy.

Because they are doing it in a smart "PRO" Playstation way. Anything they port to PC will be done on THEIR terms. Not on the terms of PC gamers. As it should be.......

daninthemix

This is a different problem. games cost so much these days because western media is requiring to hire incompetent woke and forced diversity even if they are not very talented. studio sizes jumped in crazy numbers ---> which makes the games cost more to make.

You do not see this problem with Japanese devs and they release one big AAA game after the other whatever its Square-Enix or Capcom or whatever. only US and west Europe that are having this issue of games cost way too much ( or at least way too much more than it should compared to eastern region ).

and even if I to assume you are right and I am wrong 100%. do not release the games on PC day one and devalue your console ? Give the console some perks to justify buying one. games come 2 years on console before the PC get the better port etc. but nope. lets fuck these consoles and make them worthless even though we design and sell them lol.
They're not worthless - they are a much cheaper, single-box turnkey solution that you plug in under your TV and start playing without fuss. PCs are not comparable at all, and have divergent target customers.

Generic

This is a different problem. games cost so much these days because western development environment a is requiring to hire incompetent woke and forced diversity even if they are not very talented. studio sizes jumped in crazy numbers ---> which makes the games cost more to make.

Square and Capcom release their games on multiple platforms. Capcom even released the RE4 Remake on a last-gen console and iPhone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a different problem. games cost so much these days because western media is requiring to hire incompetent woke and forced diversity even if they are not very talented. studio sizes jumped in crazy numbers ---> which makes the games cost more to make.

Two years is just hurting sales potential imo. Six months would make more sense.

In two years the excitement is long gone. We’re also seeing comments from people who were disappointed in things.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
do more proper reading of what trajectory this industry is heading when it comes to gaming software, forced micro transactions and forced shifting to GaaS.

That’s not going to cause a crash. Mobile gaming obliterates every platform.

If there’s ever a collapse, it’ll be the unsustainable AAA market with ballooning costs.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's not Gaf logic, it's just logic.

You think I'm still buying a console and having to put up with paying to play games online if all their games are on PC day one?

Not a chance.
PS+ is now what? $80 right?

I can either buy a PS5 for $500 and then pay $80 a year for 7 years, or take that $1,060 and put it towards a better PC.

I did exactly that when i skipped buying a Xbox for the first time in three generations.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Chill out man you can keep playing your 20-30 fps and low settings games. Everyone will be happy.

What current gen games are you talking about that run at 20-30 fps with low settings, exactly? Or was this just a "consoles suck so bad, lol derp" exaggeration?

yurinka

-SONY CEO Kenichiro Yoshida

Nothing new, they always said during years that PlayStation will continue being their core even if they are expanding on PC, mobile or cloud.

Regarding PC, they plan to only release some of their games there, not all. Regarding day one on PC, it will be only the case for some (not all) of their MP GaaS titles.

They don't plan to release their traditional SP non-GaaS games day one on PC, they're happy releasing them (the ones ported to PC, some never will be ported) 2 or more years after their original release on PS (the original game, not the remaster/remake) and plan to continue having such window.

Hasn't this been the plan for a while. Service games going day one to PC?
Yes, it's their strategy since many years ago, nothing changed.

Two years is just hurting sales potential imo. Six months would make more sense.

In two years the excitement is long gone. We’re also seeing comments from people who were disappointed in things.
The facts say the opposite, that they are growing and apparently part of that new userbase may come from PC.

In the leaked docs we saw 50% of the PS5 new users didn't have a PS4, meaning they came from other place. We also saw that PS achieved in December the biggest PS active userbase ever. So PS is growing and not shrinking.

We also saw that in 2023 PS5 had a huge increase YoY compared to MS and Switch. In the case of MS, PS already was outselling Xbox and the distance was much bigger so that 50% of new to PS users can't be from Xbox or Switch only.

So part of them pretty likely must come from PC players who became new fans with the ports and got the consoles to play the other games not ported.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For me, I'm still console first for gaming, while I use my laptop for $5 Steam and GOG budget games, or games that are 100% PC. Ya I know I can hook up my laptop to my big screen and plug in an Xbox gamepad to play full budget games on PC, but I dont see myself transitioning to PC as a whole even if I can and online is free.

GHG

PS+ is now what? $80 right?

I can either buy a PS5 for $500 and then pay $80 a year for 7 years, or take that $1,060 and put it towards a better PC.

I did exactly that when i skipped buying a Xbox for the first time in three generations.

It's not only that, I could play with mouse and keyboard for any playstation games with shooting elements from day one, I could use whatever wheel peripheral I want when playing GT7 (which is the only reason I'm still in the thrustmaster ecosystem and haven't switched to Moza/Simucube/Simagic), you can play everything on hardware that can actually handle native 4k 60+ FPS and the games are cheaper.

Europe knows what's up, which is why Xbox sales have tanked and PC has picked up the pieces. If Sony and Nintendo want to stay in business on the hardware side then they should be staying far away from PC.

Guys, this is old. The twitter video is from last November. Nothing has changed. Why is this news now.

You know why. Look at the recent Xbox rumours/news.

SonyToo™.

Last edited:
Nothing in here really indicates the sky is falling and Spider-Man 3/Ghosts of Tsushima 2/Naughty Dog New IP caliber games will be on PC day 1 but I guess we’ll just have to see.

I would’ve said years back you’d never see ratchet and clank, uncharted, and god of war (and more) on steam but here we are

Toons

PC is the platform ending the console wars for good.

Lol we would be so lucky.

Most of the people still fighting console wars are doing it for entirely irrational reasons so they'll find something else to fight about for sure. Won't even take long

SenkiDala

The video is from November + it is already what Sony is trying to do since some years now, no ? What is new ? Bringing their games to PC : they already do it. Cloud : the same and they'll propose more and more options for that. I don't see what is new.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing in here really indicates the sky is falling and Spider-Man 3/Ghosts of Tsushima 2/Naughty Dog New IP caliber games will be on PC day 1 but I guess we’ll just have to see.

I would’ve said years back you’d never see ratchet and clank, uncharted, and god of war (and more) on steam but here we are

The reason why service titles will be day#1 on PC is because such titles live and die based on engagement. And to max engagement you need to max addressable market from the start.

Core Playstation titles will continue to have 12 month exclusivity windows because they still need to upsell their hardware.

As demonstrated by Days Gone, its entirely possible to sell strongly on PC even after an extended period of discounted sales on console if its the right product.

Waltz8bit

Neo Member
GAF logic would then be “what’s the point in buying a PlayStation?”
It would be, however, as I’m sure you know, emotion precedes logic. As the move now comes from a beloved brand, I’m sure a lot of mental gymnastics will follow soon enough to point how this is a completely different case.

Kenpachii

Dunno why people are surprised to be honest.

PS4 generation introduced online, subscriptions, and DLC's, cosmetics, digital games. which saves consoles from going multiplatform to start with, because the extra income could validate staying exclusive. Now PS5 games are costing even more to produce, and the PS6 is also upcoming while at it. The 10 buck increase on a game isn't covering that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dunno why people are surprised to be honest.

PS4 generation introduced online, subscriptions, and DLC's, cosmetics, digital games. which saves consoles from going multiplatform to start with, because the extra income could validate staying exclusive. Now PS5 games are costing even more to produce, and the PS6 is also upcoming while at it. The 10 buck increase on a game isn't covering that.
True.

Sony even has released The Show on Xbox (and now Switch too) for the past 3 games. MLB mandate or not, they still agreed to make multiplatform games day one. The PS game gets about 1M sales per year for the past 15 years. And there was a tweet saying the game has reached 4M gamers I think. There's probably more people playing it on Xbox than on PS systems since The Show has been on GP all 3 years.

And Sony said the GAAS games will be day one PC too.

So it shows they will greenlight day one on competing platforms when they feel it's the right thing to do. It now comes down to their traditional SP big budget games Yes or No day one on competing platforms. Xbox has got nothing, but PC has got ports later.

yurinka

Hasn't this been the plan for a while. Service games going day one to PC?
Hermen said it will be a case per case scenario. Only some of their games will be ported to PC, not all.

For the ones releasing in PC, they are happy releasing them 2+ years after their original PS release and that will continue being the case (that distance can be smaller compared to a PS5 port/remaster/remake that isn't the original release). Regarding the specific case of MP GaaS (won't apply to traditional SP non-GaaaS titles), some of them will release day one on PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hermen said it will be a case per case scenario. Only some of their games will be ported to PC, not all.

For the ones releasing in PC, they are happy releasing them 2+ years after their original PS release and that will continue being the case (that distance can be smaller compared to a PS5 port/remaster/remake that isn't the original release). Regarding the specific case of MP GaaS (won't apply to traditional SP non-GaaaS titles), some of them will release day one on PC.
Helldivers 2 already a day one PC game. MLB The Show on Xbox and Nintendo day one. Some of the PC ports are faster than two years. LOU Part 1 and Uncharted Collection.

It's not full fledged day one everything on competing platforms, but steadily edging up. It all started in 2020 and is slowly ramping up.

Three

Helldivers 2 already a day one PC game. MLB The Show on Xbox and Nintendo day one. Some of the PC ports are faster than two years. LOU Part 1 and Uncharted Collection.

It's not full fledged day one everything on competing platforms, but steadily edging up. It all started in 2020 and is slowly ramping up.
It hasn't really edged up at all. TLOUpart 1 was a remake and Sony consider Helldivers and MLB live service. People were saying it will edge to 6 months 3 years ago yet there is still no GT7, HFW, GOW Ragnarok yet. I'm sure at some point they may come but the time is NOT getting shorter.

I still remain skeptical if it’ll go to where you seem to think but it is just Occam’s razor why they’re (kind of for now) abandoning their more Nintendo ways with exclusives. Also didn’t the insomniac leak confirm they’re not doing day 1 PC with the single player blockbusters? I could be mistaken on that.

But anyways, TOTK didn’t cost goddamn $300 million fucking dollars. It’s profit margins and budgets. They need a bigger ROI to keep reinvesting in games and sadly it seems consoles alone aren’t quite cutting it. There’s a reason we saw PC ports right as their AAA games were getting exponentially bigger and prettier. Shawn Layden was ringing this bell for years. They need that extra couple mil from the steam sales to make it more worthwhile. It is what it is. If all their games sold like Mario kart/Zelda/Hogwarts/COD, and had budgets more in check, they’d still be PS4/PS5 only.

Last edited:

yurinka

Seems you didn't read my post.

All their traditional, non GaaS SP titles that get ported to PC are being released at least around 2 years from their ORIGINAL RELEASE ON PS (not a port/remaster/remake). TLOU has been released on PC 10 years after its original release on PS. Uncharted 4 has been released on PC 6 years and a half after its original release on PS.

Some GaaS never will be released on PC, or minimum not at launch (like MLB21, MLB22, MLB23, Destruction All Stars, Gran Turismo Sports or maybe Gran Turismo 7 or older ones like LBP or PS Home etc.). Some of their GaaS instead will be released in PC, and some of them -the Bungie ones and probably the MP only ones- day one.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Hundreds of millions....
zFcQ6UH.png

Eddie Murphy No GIF

They literally could have funded one new game with what they spent on porting what they have so far and it would have sold more then those ports combined

8LLbzzH.jpg
Revenue so far for the handful of PS games on PC is near half a billion for Steam alone. That means that over a consoles lifespan Sony can make well over a billion dollars from PC sales. None of that includes Destiny 2 or other GaaS income either. Porting costs compared to the revenue is a pittance as well.

PC makes good money for Sony, especially as they are only 2 year old ports. All of that revenue is enough to fund another 5+ AAA games.

Last edited:

yurinka

Hundreds of millions....
zFcQ6UH.png

Eddie Murphy No GIF

They literally could have funded one new game with what they spent on porting what they have so far and it would have sold more then those ports combined
Revenue so far for the handful of PS games on PC is near half a billion for Steam alone. That means that over a consoles lifespan Sony can make well over a billion dollars from PC sales. None of that includes Destiny 2 or other GaaS income either. Porting costs compared to the above is as pittance as well.

PC makes good money for Sony, especially as they are only 2 year old ports. All of that revenue is enough to fund another 5+ AAA games.
In their most recent report Sony shown that including Bungie their games made almost half a billion dollars outside PS in the last fiscal year alone.

And in the first half of the current fiscal year they had an over 50% YoY increase on top of that.

We also saw in the leaked docs from Insomniac that the PC ports only cost them around a couple millions, so the PC ports are super profitable for them, basically free money.

The cost of 7 ports is around or under 20M, you can't fund a AAA game with that because we saw their budgets are around 200-300M. But these ports are generating almost half a billion per year mostly in revenue (and growing, with a 133% CAGR).

Meaning, with the yearly profits of the game they sell outside PS they can fund at least one whole big AAA game (the whole game, not 1 year of development). Per year.

And this is with only a few old games, Destiny 2 is 7 years old and the PS Studios ports get released on PC -the ones who are ported- 2 to 10 years after they were originally on PS. They'll keep releasing PC ports of old games, but also some of their MP GaaS will be relased day one on PC. Being new and being GaaS, and from the makers of Destiny (Concord and Marathon) they'll generate much more.

In a couple years Sony will be generating well over a billion per year only from PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom