• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People have started Comparing No Man's Sky with Starfield

Is Starfield, No Man's Sky 2.0?

• Yes

Votes: 192 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 12.4%
  • Starfield Looks Better

Votes: 128 26.0%
  • Twitter & IGN are crazy. These are two completely different games.

Votes: 111 22.6%

• Total voters
Nothing is wrong with being inspired by NMS. It'll be space exploration and Bethesda RPG mechanics.
Well, Starfield started the development earlier though.

But in 4K it looks much better than in that stream (I miss Mixer now lol)

8f6b9040f3161b938d2172f8a132009051af3e55.gif

622e6f1acce9c852f2a48ec0ddb26bfb2cdfda7c.gif

I think some WOW effect lost due to NMS. If NMS did not exist, we would be shocked by some of the stuff.

But still - it is Bethesda's game. So it is gonna be great RPG journey with a lot of mods.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
If you watched that video where they get off the ship and start laser shooting the walls to "mine" for resources and didn't think of NMS, then you haven't played NMS.
Gotta admit I did think of nms at that point, but I only got 15 minutes into nms because it was boring as hell. Starfield seems A LOT better than that bore fest nms.

Last edited:

saintjules

It is basically, except they have a huge budget. Hello Games is a indie studio in comparison. It should be better.

You never know though, No Man Sky 2 could be in the works, two can play this game Sean.

They should just keep updating the game as they have been. I don't think there's any need for a sequel if you go that route.

EDMIX

Whether one took inspiration from the other means nothing and should be nothing. This shouldn't generate any negative headlines or stoke any fanboy wars.

Both I'm sure are fantastic games in their own right and highlights the fact we need more of these types of space based exploration games.

I'd have both. I will have both.

mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

Same.

sainraja

Why are you immediately reading ill-intent in these comparisons? The first thing I thought of while watching the stream live was "I'm getting real NMS vibes here. . .and I love it!"

. . .like, I get it if you think the intent behind the comparison is to suggest creative laziness on the part of BETHESDA (which is insane), but I'm not getting that at all - at least from the IGN Tweet.
Some people can be very insecure about things they like so they automatically do that.

Maybe one of the crewmembers mentioned that you can hire will be someone that goes out and mines all the minerals and stuff. That way I don't have to do it myself.
I have no idea if NMS does that or not.

MarkMe2525

This is what I wanted NMS to be. Games aren't created in a vacuum, of course Bethesda is going to take inspiration from NMS, Elite Dangerous, Mass Effect, etc...

Maybe one of the crewmembers mentioned that you can hire will be someone that goes out and mines all the minerals and stuff. That way I don't have to do it myself.
I have no idea if NMS does that or not.
You can hire a few people but they just stand at their posts and are really there to open up upgrade trees.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its understandable. It did cross my mind watching the stream.

Why are you immediately reading ill-intent in these comparisons? The first thing I thought of while watching the stream live was "I'm getting real NMS vibes here. . .and I love it!"

. . .like, I get it if you think the intent behind the comparison is to suggest creative laziness on the part of BETHESDA (which is insane), but I'm not getting that at all - at least from the IGN Tweet.
Agree.

Like that indie game that was giving ppl Portal vibes.

Everything isnt immediately console wars.

No Man's Sky has come a long way since launch.
This is more important thing. It really has.

One looks and likely plays like a modern AAA megahit with an amazing compeling story and awesome characters and the other well, if I'm being nice like an ancient ps3 game with below garbage tier ps2 gameplay and even worse on the rails flight mechanics.

If you put full size 4K images side by side it gets obvious that only certain individs would compare them to feel better for a second trying to convince that they're even remotely similar quality games.

There’s clearly similarities. I will admit I’ve never played No Man’s Sky, but being pretty familiar with previous Bethesda games, I’d imagine Starfield will have No Man’s Sky beat when it comes to story, amount of dialogue, and combat.
Honestly you're very lucky to not experience that garbage. Just imagine a ps2 game in '22 with terrible robotic animations, on rails flight, clipping everywhere, patheticaly low pollies everywhere even for ps2 game, add terrible art style and bam 2/10 game.

Max_Po

Banned
not really impressed with Starfeild... and my interest level is even lower..

don't or never cared for No Man's Sky either....and also I tried No Man's Sky numberous time after the hyped up upgrades.

Last edited:

Rivet

But who gets the "Molyneux Game Overhyping Award" ? Sean Murray or Todd Howard ?

Jokes aside, that's a dumb comparison. It's really apples and oranges. Starfield looks far closer to Fallout or Skyrim in space. It has the space exploration and base building similar to NMS, but really it's not the same kind of games at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom