• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 4 |OT| Gods Will Be Watching – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

I love this show to death, but if S5 wraps up the Samaritan storyline, how the hell else could they escalate the story that doesn't seem forced?

They are literally fighting the anti-Machine. A force equivalent or stronger than their own greatest asset. What happens after a final, climactic clash of titans that could possibly still be interesting?

We got 5 seasons. Over 100 episodes of a story that will have a proper conclusion. I have no doubts that, post-syndication, this show will become something of a cult classic. PoI has got it pretty damn good.

Chariot

I want a movie where the teams goes to Moscow and rescue Snowden from an assassination of the United States, that was a feint in itself to get the russians to take Snowden into protective custody which the USA is spinning in imprisonment or betrayal and then get a inside agents in the russian government to kill Snowden. Team Machine has to fight special forces from two governments while trying to not kill anyone to avoid an international incident and get Snowden out of russia alive. It turns out that the new better Big Machine bought land in africa where it's god and fullfilling the will of The Machine. Team Machine and Snowden swear to build and maintain their Outer Heaven.

Kansoku

I think I have a curse; It happened exactly like Fringe (my favorite show); Good first season, great second season, third fucking amazing season, weaker but still good fourth season and then the show gets cancelled with a fifth half-season.

Goodstyle

I love this show to death, but if S5 wraps up the Samaritan storyline, how the hell else could they escalate the story that doesn't seem forced?

They are literally fighting the anti-Machine. A force equivalent or stronger than their own greatest asset. What happens after a final, climactic clash of titans that could possibly still be interesting?

We got 5 seasons. Over 100 episodes of a story that will have a proper conclusion. I have no doubts that, post-syndication, this show will become something of a cult classic. PoI has got it pretty damn good.

I agree with this. I'd be 100% fine if the show ended after its 5th season. I mean, where do we go after Samaritan?

Few shows have ever pulled off having a logical and interesting continuation after the largest possible stakes have already been pulled. Buffy did an amazing 6th season after she died in the 5th, but the 7th was an absolute piece of dog shit. Would continuing PoI for 2-3 more seasons really be in its best interest?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I mean, yeah, there's no finding a bigger threat than Samaritan, except having The Machine 2.0 ending up going down the same path, leading to taking it on as well, but that's really just a retread.

If they can find that landing of stopping Samaritan, then it's ok to end. Just worried they don't have enough time to do so, coming from where they left off (
I mean, they have to somehow rebuild the machine, and in a hurry. They have to explain Shaw, have a reasonable leadup to how to defeat Samaritan, and then attempt to do so, and have some sort of a reasonable ending, which probably has some bittersweetness to it.
).

I can think of only 2 characters that need tying up (
From the point of them being "up in the air" right now, and that's Shaw and Control. 3 if it was possible for Elias to survive.
). The others will be wrapped up as the show goes.

Mostly, just because they never seemed to find time to try and get Terry O'Quinn on the show, even in a guest role.

And yes, tons of horrible shows being left on the air, and most with absurd ratings.

Patryn

This wasn't obvious to everyone else when it was announced they'd only get 13?

They did the same thing to the Mentalist.

Yes, you can be angry at CBS, but remember that this isn't a show they own, and the ratings weren't great.

They honestly did the show and the fans a big favor by bringing it back for a final season to wrap things up.

Chariot

This wasn't obvious to everyone else when it was announced they'd only get 13?

They did the same thing to the Mentalist.

Yes, you can be angry at CBS, but remember that this isn't a show they own, and the ratings weren't great.

They honestly did the show and the fans a big favor by bringing it back for a final season to wrap things up.
Didn't they do this for syndication?

Patryn

This is probably a dumb question, but what's stopping Warner Brothers from moving it to their own network? Funding?

The network has to want to take it. While they have the same parent company, the network and studio are two separate entities and are run by different people.

It only has so much money, and PoI would be a very expensive show. In addition, PoI likely skews a lot older than the audience the CW is looking to attract.

The studio side can't just force the network side to pick it up.

ZenaxPure

!!!!!!!spoilers for everything, don't read unless you are caught up!!!!!!!

There is no particular reason they would have to try and one up samaritan. There are other routes they could take the story like exposing AI to the world at large and exploring how that effects society when people know they are under surveillance by a machine. Or they could easily take the show into an even more desperate situation by having the team rebuild the machine only for samaritan to utterly crush it once again. It wouldn't even have to result in all the characters deaths, samaritan has seen the kind of fight the machine's assets will put up so it could very well want to recruit them for itself in exchange for their lives (which could make for some really cool scenes seeing team machine being forced to work for the bad guys and how they try to deal with that situation). I see no reason they have to introduce some even bigger threat.

I'm completely happy with this season being the final one but I still see tons of interesting directions they could take the story if they wanted. POI has never been a show about constantly increasing the power level of the bad guys anyway, government agencies, questionable AI, and street level threats have all been major parts of the story in all 4 seasons.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, well, we all saw it coming. Maybe we can get a 6th if Netflix is up to it.

Htown said:
they can't even get the fourth season up right, what makes you think they're going to fund a sixth?

At the NYCC panel, they implied that they knew when Netflix was going to put it up. Another poster already speculated that it's because of the WGN syndication, and there may be some truth to that. I don't know. They may just be waiting until closer to S5, maybe to drum up some interest before it premieres, although I don't know what they would hope to achieve if cancellation is a guarantee.

I can think of only 2 characters that need tying up (
From the point of them being "up in the air" right now, and that's Shaw and Control. 3 if it was possible for Elias to survive.
). The others will be wrapped up as the show goes.

Well, people do tend to stay dead on this show. Even if we grant some intended ambiguity in their fates, I think a 13 episode order pretty much guarantees they're dead. I don't think we'll be seeing those two again.

ZenaxPure said:
I'm completely happy with this season being the final one but I still see tons of interesting directions they could take the story if they wanted. POI has never been a show about constantly increasing the power level of the bad guys anyway, government agencies, questionable AI, and street level threats have all been major parts of the story in all 4 seasons.

Jonah always said he wanted 7 seasons, right? I think they even said back at SDCC that they're going to incorporate some of those ideas in S5 just to get the ideas out there, should the show truly meet its end. I imagine it's not a detailed plan, but yeah, Nolan & Plageman do seem to have a few more things they wanted to say on these topics, or still have a couple more topics they had been hoping to introduce.

Aselith

No I just got into PoI. I am 13 eps into season 2.

Don't worry about it, man. It's a great show and they have 13 episodes to give it a conclusion. Frankly, the show was building toward a big confrontation anyways so it could easily end there if they are willing to commit to it.

NOOOO, Why cbs? Why? ;_;
There were still millions of people watching it!

Because, being the most watched network, shows that would be be godsends for other networks have to be megahits for the CBS (like Big Bang Theory). For instance, on the CW, they have the Arrow and the Flash. Both are hits for CW. However, they do not put up typical network-esque numbers and would not last (or possibly have even made it to air) on CBS (which is why I'm not to sure about the prospects of Supergirl, which if canceled I expect to see on the CW next year). Sometimes being at the top makes you lose sight of things and expectations go all out of whack. Disney, for instance, apparently considered Avengers: Age of Ultron somewhat a financial failure for them because it fell behind the first movie. True it was not as successful as the first movie, but AOE is still domestically the 8th most successful movie of all time (1st movie is 4th) and internationally is the 6th most successful movie of all time (1st movie is 4th).

Sheppard

Don't worry about it, man. It's a great show and they have 13 episodes to give it a conclusion. Frankly, the show was building toward a big confrontation anyways so it could easily end there if they are willing to commit to it.

It honestly is so good from the get go. Thanks for saying.

Because, being the most watched network, shows that would be be godsends for other networks have to be megahits for the CBS (like Big Bang Theory). For instance, on the CW, they have the Arrow and the Flash. Both are hits for CW. However, they do not put up typical network-esque numbers and would not last (or possibly have even made it to air) on CBS (which is why I'm not to sure about the prospects of Supergirl, which if canceled I expect to see on the CW next year). Sometimes being at the top makes you lose sight of things and expectations go all out of whack. Disney, for instance, apparently considered Avengers: Age of Ultron somewhat a financial failure for them because it fell behind the first movie. True it was not as successful as the first movie, but AOE is still domestically the 8th most successful movie of all time (1st movie is 4th) and internationally is the 6th most successful movie of all time (1st movie is 4th).

Capitalism is weird.

Goodstyle

Ya, there's always a chance for a show to reinvent themselves. Angel for example, completely blew up its premise for its final season and it was incredible.

Maybe after Team Machine beats Samaritan, they could end up in the seat of enormous power over the world, and the conflict can become "what do you do when you're on top?"

Root lets the power get to her immediately, Finch can be the moral center, Reese could hate all of it, and Shaw could just be along for the ride.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ya, there's always a chance for a show to reinvent themselves. Angel for example, completely blew up its premise for its final season and it was incredible.

Maybe after Team Machine beats Samaritan, they could end up in the seat of enormous power over the world, and the conflict can become "what do you do when you're on top?"

Root lets the power get to her immediately, Finch can be the moral center, Reese could hate all of it, and Shaw could just be along for the ride.

S4 was supposed to be that, TBH. At least from my perspective coming out from S3.

Lonestar

I still would like the series to have bad ending.

The only "good" ending I'd like is Grace knowing Harold lived/still lives. Best Ending would be them together. I'm decently sure that Reese, Root and Shaw won't make it, and Fusco's the wildcard as usual.

Patryn

The only "good" ending I'd like is Grace knowing Harold lived/still lives. Best Ending would be them together. I'm decently sure that Reese, Root and Shaw won't make it, and Fusco's the wildcard as usual.

Fusco being the hero in the end would be oddly fitting.

Lonestar

Episode 7 has a title

Written by Lucas O'Conner (Wrote the beginning of Samiratan, and a few Samaritan heavy episodes) and Denise The' (She kills everyone), directed by Chris Fisher (guy who did the season 3 and 4 enders and the season 5 starter)

DUXPUwG.gif

Episode 7 has a title

Hmmm, so is this the one Nolan & Plageman picked as one of their 10 favorite episodes on that IGN list? Because Nolan called it the fourth episode, but that was the title he gave it. I think the fourth episode is now something called ShotSeeker?

Also, are we going to know the title of the finale before the season even begins airing? :p

Nobility

Banned
Episode 7 has a title

Written by Lucas O'Conner (Wrote the beginning of Samiratan, and a few Samaritan heavy episodes) and Denise The' (She kills everyone), directed by Chris Fisher (guy who did the season 3 and 4 enders and the season 5 starter)

I am going to take a wild guess and say that's the amount of "terrorists" Samaritan has eliminated since becoming active.

Can't wait.

Nobility

Banned
Looks like some more episode titles leaked in the fan con event.

Some get me extremely excited but most of them are drawing a blank to me.

Subject to change obviously.

http://imgur.com/a/hcYXG

S5 E5 -
A More Perfect Union
S5 E6 -
QSO
S5 E7 -
S5 E8 -
Reassortment
S5 E9 -
Line Hunt

Also noticed on the explorer window S5 E4 title shows
Shotspotter

jeAmtmS.jpg

They just celebrated shooting 100 episodes. Lots of pictures on the official twitter accounts. It will be the 10th episode of S5 and is co-written by Andy Callahan and directed by Frederick E.O. Toye.

At the party, Plageman revealed to somebody at TVLine that Josh Close (Martin Freeman's brother on Fargo) has a recurring role this season.

There was also another bit of casting news that apparently went unnoticed (I certainly didn't see it posted here) and it's maybe a bit of a spoiler so...

MOTHERFUCKING KEITH DAVID. He's playing a CIA supervisory agent. I wonder if this is in flashbacks? I remember reading that there was going to be an episode where we learn more about how Reese originally got involved in the CIA.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuuck @ those casting choices. They are damn good. And the story spoiler. OH MAN.

Sober

Keith David is actually
Two-Phones

Keith David is actually
the voice of Samaritan

Keith David is actually
playing an exaggerated version of Keith David

Any info on when this show comes back? I need my POI fix.

Not yet. I believe they're still waiting for CBS to confirm a premiere date.

And yeah, I'm feeling the POI withdrawal. Looking forward to S4 finally hitting Netflix so my friend's daily Steam chat updates can resume. Been reliving the experience of watching the show for the first time through him, haha.

Oh yeah and a bit more came out of the 100 episode celebration thing. That TVLine reporter that was there confirmed that (and this is definitely a story spoiler so be warned)
episode 5x04, titled Shot Seeker, is a Relevance style, Shaw-centric episode that will show everything that happened to Shaw as a Samaritan prisoner.

I'm hanging off of every small bit of S5 news I can get. I'm desperate!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Got to the first words of that spoiler and stopped reading. I want it to be a surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom