• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest |S2 OT| Not For The Weak-Kneed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That would be amazing.

I agree, creepy yet good episode. I loved when the guy started mimicking Gull.

Also, seems like Finch doesn't need those glasses? He only strained his eyes when Carter showed up. Maybe I am reading too much into that? Anyone else would have normally strained/narrowed/squeezed their eyes when their glasses are taken off, especially bifocals. He continued a whole conversation and reactions without a skip until Carter.

I'd have to rewatch to see about the glasses. Could be near-sighted, where if he's close enough (seemed like Creepy Guy stayed close enough for this to be), he's fine. Carter being 10+ feet off could result in squinting to see. But hey, could be a possibility that the glasses are for show.

That would be amazing.

I agree, creepy yet good episode. I loved when the guy started mimicking Gull.

Also, seems like Finch doesn't need those glasses? He only strained his eyes when Carter showed up. Maybe I am reading too much into that? Anyone else would have normally strained/narrowed/squeezed their eyes when their glasses are taken off, especially bifocals. He continued a whole conversation and reactions without a skip until Carter.

Eh, it feels weird but it's not crazy. If there's nothing you need to see you wouldn't be squinting. I don't automatically squint when I take off my glasses.

Really awesome whodunit-esque episode

So, whats everyone's opinion on Beecher? I kinda want to believe he's clean but he did
take a call from HR, IIRC

I really hope Fusco has something to do next episode. Was he even in this one? Glad Carter had some spotlight, though.

Wiktor

yes tonight new ep! :D

BRING IT ON
poi_1rkjfu.gif

We got another awesome "John opening the door" this week. We need gif :)

Anyway, great episode, the killer was awfully creppy, especially when he started to imitate Finch. Kind of wish he got away, but realistically there's already so much on the plate in PoI that they don't need another thread. Serial killer arc will propably be saved for later seasons.

Lonestar

So now comes the attempt to decipher what's going on with the machine, and the conversation at the end of the episode.

Machine is quiet for 3 days.
Finch is worried that it didn't give them the FBI guy's SSN.
Machine comes up with 5 or 6 SSN's, of people who are already dead. People who shouldn't come up.

So, the Machine comes up with a new way of tracking, or analysis. Because it's never come up for people who truly are dead before (except for Hannah/root's friend, I guess).

Could it have seen that the FBI guy was in trouble? Seems like the killer improvised his killing when he showed up, so it couldn't have seen that. But perhaps the machine could see the FBI guy was irrational in his "by himself" idiocity, and was going to get himself killed.

So, if that's true, but it couldn't just give the FBI guy's SSN, what does that mean?

My current theory of the "virus" is that it is, somehow, blocking the machine from reporting any potential violent action on government people, and it effects the relevant and non-relevant lists alike.

But the Machine still wants to fight against this. It comes up with a very long, complex way, to fix the situation for the FBI guy. But it's so long, it doesn't save him, just capture/kill his murderer.

from the very first shot I knew this episode would be different. the whole camera angles and lighting was so different than ever before.

liked it quite a bit, really interesting spin on the classic whodunit-formula, even though I did see the "twist" coming sonce the first scene the guy interacted with reese.

otherwise: many cameras now seem blocked or something in the machine-view where it switches between cameras, so I guess the virus really is blocking the ability of the machine to keep track of stuff and the machine tries to find a workaround for this.

something that I noticed: it is not clear if finchs glasses are fake or not, but he was like "lol you're an amateur at doing this". Maybe his injury is fake, too :eek:

Sober

from the very first shot I knew this episode would be different. the whole camera angles and lighting was so different than ever before.

liked it quite a bit, really interesting spin on the classic whodunit-formula, even though I did see the "twist" coming sonce the first scene the guy interacted with reese.

otherwise: many cameras now seem blocked or something in the machine-view where it switches between cameras, so I guess the virus really is blocking the ability of the machine to keep track of stuff and the machine tries to find a workaround for this.

something that I noticed: it is not clear if finchs glasses are fake or not, but he was like "lol you're an amateur at doing this". Maybe his injury is fake, too :eek:
Cameras seem to be blocked because of the storm as they seemed to clear up at the end of the episode.

Finch's glasses are fake, as you can tell when you look through the lens. The injury is probably real because there have been situations where he is alone but in danger but he can't actually run because of his limp.

Cameras seem to be blocked because of the storm as they seemed to clear up at the end of the episode.

Finch's glasses are fake, as you can tell when you look through the lens. The injury is probably real because there have been situations where he is alone but in danger but he can't actually run because of his limp.

the fake glasses coul be actual fake glasses for filming purposes but still be "real" glasses in the context of the show. who knows

and for the "hes and danger and cant run": we will have to see how far he will go to protect his persona

That doesn't mean anything... I just means the actor doesn't need the glasses in real life, not that Finch the character doesn't actually need the glasses.

I think you all are overexaggerating with the glasses, it's no hidden link. And most of you must not wear glasses thinking you can't act normally if they're taken off.

Lonestar

That doesn't mean anything... I just means the actor doesn't need the glasses in real life, not that Finch the character doesn't actually need the glasses.

I think you all are overexaggerating with the glasses, it's no hidden link. And most of you must not wear glasses thinking you can't act normally if they're taken off.

heh, thankfully my glasses aren't bolted to my face.

Lonestar

I can read and see most things within 5-10 feet. Gets messy beyond that.

Hate that I when driving during the day, I either have to suffer with no sunglasses, get perscription sunglasses, or get those little shade things that you wear between your face and the glasses.

But screw contact lenses. Eeeysh, screw touching my eyeball, or having those things wander behind my eye. SCREW THAT.

Would have liked it more if they didn't make the killer so incredibly obvious.

Although John in a hat and coat makes Watch_Dogs look even more like PoI.

tirminyl

I wear reading glasses but that part just seemed odd to me. Like I said, I could have been reading too much into the situation.

I wear reading glasses but that part just seemed odd to me. Like I said, I could have been reading too much into the situation.

Dunno, I've worn glasses full time since second grade and I don't automatically squint if someone took them off. It's also because of the situation, you know Harold can't fight his way out so there's nothing to look at with the person having a gun pointed at him. It wasn't until something new (carter showed up) that it made sense to squint/figure out what that was. It's not like you're blind, everything is just fuzzy, he could still see the person standing in front of him. What would he squint for?

Edit: Also, it depends on how bad your eyesight is. Squinting does jackshit for me, I still can't see anything but a blurry mess when squinting.

Lonestar

the POI podcast said the same thing.

They talked about the PS4 and Watch_Dogs at the end of the new podcast.

tirminyl

Dunno, I've worn glasses full time since second grade and I don't automatically squint if someone took them off. It's also because of the situation, you know Harold can't fight his way out so there's nothing to look at with the person having a gun pointed at him. It wasn't until something new (carter showed up) that it made sense to squint/figure out what that was. It's not like you're blind, everything is just fuzzy, he could still see the person standing in front of him. What would he squint for?

Edit: Also, it depends on how bad your eyesight is. Squinting does jackshit for me, I still can't see anything but a blurry mess when squinting.

I think I have been listening to too much POI Podcast where they over analyze everything. I've already knocked out the entire first season plus 5-6 episodes from S2 on the podcast since it was posted in this thread lol.

I think I have been listening to too much POI Podcast where they over analyze everything. I've already knocked out the entire first season plus 5-6 episodes from S2 on the podcast since it was posted in this thread lol.

:lol I'm curious what this podcast is like now. Maybe I'll listen to one...

Son1x

I'd have to rewatch to see about the glasses. Could be near-sighted, where if he's close enough (seemed like Creepy Guy stayed close enough for this to be), he's fine. Carter being 10+ feet off could result in squinting to see. But hey, could be a possibility that the glasses are for show.

He is probably nearsighted. You can see that the glasses are legit when Creepy Guy puts them on.

izlv6mH.png

Awesome ep!

edit: Like others said, I never squint or anything when I put my glasses off. Only if I'm trying to see something further away, but my eye sight ain't that bad.

Lonestar

as a dark alternate reality, what do you think happens if Creepy Guy kills Finch and takes over his "Gull" Identity? I mean, he'd have to get off the island before John flayed him alive, but then, it'd be only a matter of time.

The only thing there'd be left of him WOULD BE the knee caps.

heh, they mentioned the various Lost quotes.

About not leaving the island

and specifically, that line. What about you?

Jacob to Ben at the end of season 5.

i only realized the "your timing is impeccable" one. but only because of some youtube video where he puts emphasis on the h in "when"- "your timing is impeccable, john, how did you know ch-when to be here"

My God. That was a fucking fantastic episode... and genuinely spooky. I had been hoping (since early in the first season) that Person of Interest would tackle a serial killer, and they did one here just so fantastically. I wish 'Proteus' (I know he has a real name, but calling him Proteus is so much more sinister) had escaped.

The episode name 'Proteus' is so fitting. From Wiki:

In Greek mythology, Proteus (Πρωτεύς) is an early sea-god, one of several deities whom Homer calls the "Old Man of the Sea". Some who ascribe to him a specific domain call him the god of "elusive sea change," which suggests the constantly changing nature of the sea or the liquid quality of water in general. He can foretell the future, but, in a mytheme familiar to several cultures, will change his shape to avoid having to; he will answer only to someone who is capable of capturing him. From this feature of Proteus comes the adjective protean, with the general meaning of "versatile", "mutable", "capable of assuming many forms". "Protean" has positive connotations of flexibility, versatility and adaptability.

Would have been so perfect for a recurring villain. I didn't think they could find someone more deranged than my beloved Root as a villain, but they knocked it out of the park with Proteus. Who was that actor playing him? When the reveal happened, he was so fucking creepy. And his voice shifted... gave me goosebumps. That scene between him and Harold was so good.

The whole "trapped in the storm" is one of my favourite types of stories. The atmosphere once they got to the island was so sinister and shot so well.

Creepy Guy would have done well as a POI Joker, if he had gotten away. Like, instead of him getting up to kill Carter/Finch, he disappear. Creepy Serial Killer with a desire to be Finch, as he's fascinated by him.

God, that would have been awesome. I wish that's what was gonna happen, but nope, Cal fucking Beacher to the rescue. Goddammit Cal. They should have had a confrontation at the pier where he got shot and fell in the water, but they didn't recover his body.

So creepy.

I saw that immediately! I lol'd.

I think April 11 will have two new episodes airing on one night. Must be something big.

Codes!

600px-2x171.png

Converted back into ascii text this is (not yet complete conversion):

But this last theory, plausible as it was, could not stand against inquiries made in both worlds. That a private gentleman should have such a machine at his command was not likely. Where, when, and how was it built? and how could its construction have been kept secret?

This is likely an excerpt from the text page [1] from the book "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" by Jules Verne

600px-2x172.png

Converted back into ascii text this is (not yet a complete conversion):

CoerCive Techniques. Certain interrogation techniques place the detainee in more physical and psychological stress and, therefore, are considered more effeotive tools in persuading a resistant HVD to participate\.,ithCIAinterrogators..These techniques-- walling, waterdousing, stress positions, wall standing, and cramped confinement--are typically not used in combination} although some combined use is possible. For example, an HVD in stress poaitions or wall standing can be water doused at the spme time.

It is an excerpt of "The CIA's Instructions For Breaking a Detainee's Will" (a more readable version on page 8 here), likely describing the same or a similar version to the Palestinian Hanging technique that Root used on Denton Weeks in Bad Code.

600px-2x173.png

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

This is the second stanza of "The Wasteland" by T.S.Eliot, a well-renowned poem depicting a once flourishing world now driven into darkness and despair.

Great poem. One of my favourites. They used it Uncharted 3 too!

600px-2x174.png

In order to prevent eye damage, Dr. Bainbridge ordered the distribution of welder's filter glass. Because it was not known exactly how the flash might affect eyesight, it was suggested that direct viewing of the fireball not be attempted even with this protection. The recommended procedure was to face away from ground zero and watch the hills or sky until the fireball illuminated the area. Then, after the initial flash had passed, one could turn around and view the fireball through the filter glass. Despite these well-publicized instructions, two participants did not take precautions.

It appears to be an excerpt from "Project Trinity, 1945-1946" a book by Carl Maag and Steve Rohrer, concerning the testing of nuclear weapons by the American government at that time.

So... the Codes continue to be creepy. I wonder who does all the translation of these Codes.

Anyone else chuckle at how Carter's still so hilariously passive-aggressive? She can't just properly confront Cal about what the Feds said about him.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Another great episode! I called it once I saw the FBI guy then had second-thoughts throughout until finally all the pieces started to come together, really thought it was that couple for some reason. The machine not being able to access a lot of the cameras was a nice touch as well as it playing up quite a lot. Like the little part about Shaw not contacting them.

Beecher kind of redeemed himself though he does still seem really suss.

Another great episode! I called it once I saw the FBI guy then had second-thoughts throughout until finally all the pieces started to come together, really thought it was that couple for some reason. The machine not being able to access a lot of the cameras was a nice touch as well as it playing up quite a lot. Like the little part about Shaw not contacting them.

Beecher kind of redeemed himself though he does still seem really suss.

I noticed the cameras all screwed up in the storm as well. Very cool.

hmm the podcast guys are not really that well informed. they think the red box marks the perpetrator. which is clearly not the case. :/

they were not noticing the blue screens until this week

and some other stuff that i really dislike, because I hoped they would be really more indepth than that

tirminyl

hmm the podcast guys are not really that well informed. they think the red box marks the perpetrator. which is clearly not the case. :/

they were not noticing the blue screens until this week

and some other stuff that i really dislike, because I hoped they would be really more indepth than that

They thought Root was Nathan (or his son) with a wig lol.

RangersFan

just watched the latest episode. had a very identity feel. as for the whole finch glasses debate, taken in context of what the FBI killer was saying I think it's safe to say Finch's glasses are indeed fake. Finch is a master of assuming identities and called the serial killer an amateur. As pointed out above, it makes you wonder about the limp, but yeah they've shown him unable to run when alone during life and death matters, so it probably is a real injury.

just watched the latest episode. had a very identity feel. as for the whole finch glasses debate, taken in context of what the FBI killer was saying I think it's safe to say Finch's glasses are indeed fake. Finch is a master of assuming identities and called the serial killer an amateur. As pointed out above, it makes you wonder about the limp, but yeah they've shown him unable to run when alone during life and death matters, so it probably is a real injury.

The leg and back is definitely a real injury. Remember Episode 3 in season 1 with the rapist and the doctor. He had an x-ray and we saw that his vertebrae were fused.

As for the glasses... I don't think they're fake, since the flashbacks as far back as 11, 12 years ago show him constantly wearing glasses. Why fake it glasses that far back? Hell, his MIT grad photo in the 70s had him wearing specs.

Lonestar

If there was a machine in real life, it'd print out the SSN's of 64 basketball teams right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom