• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 and Nier Automata: The End of YorHa Edition coming to Switch on October

spons

Gold Member
not really. i think we should be moving to digital but i have a soft spot for cartridges. i'd sure as shit buy P4G/P5R on cartridge for Switch. Plus they are old games so shouldn't need any patches and the full game (including DLC) should be on the cartridges meaning they will be perfectly playable in the future. not many physical games these days can guarantee that.

it might comfort some people to have a physical copy of a game but when servers go down people those who bought physically will end up with half assed broken games.
What? Those who went digital on Xbox/PS/Steam can't play games at all when their services go down the plughole, even with physical discs. Not so much for the Switch, even for eShop purchases, just download your games to a MicroSD card. For the massive shit Nintendo gets for poor preservation of games, the Switch is really the least worst current gaming device. Hell, even the Wii Shop is still online for downloads of purchases 16 fucking years down the road.

Shifty1897

Unfortunately I fully expect Square Enix to have done the minimum effort on the Nier port and am sure it will run like absolute garbage.

I haven't gotten P5R anywhere yet (I did put 110 hours in the original P5) so if it runs well enough I could definitely see me picking that up.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Fucking finally, Persona 5 Royal on Switch, it's a PS3 game engine after all, why Atlus took so damm long to launch to the Switch is beyond me, maybe some sort of exclusivity deal with Sony?

Gambit2483

not really. i think we should be moving to digital but i have a soft spot for cartridges. i'd sure as shit buy P4G/P5R on cartridge for Switch. Plus they are old games so shouldn't need any patches and the full game (including DLC) should be on the cartridges meaning they will be perfectly playable in the future. not many physical games these days can guarantee that.

it might comfort some people to have a physical copy of a game but when servers go down people those who bought physically will end up with half assed broken games.

Better a half assed broken physical game than no game at all. Once servers go down those digital copies are gone forever as well.

Rykan

because the switch lite is more ergonomic to hold as a handheld than the OG switch... smaller screen has only ever bothered me in a couple of games and actually makes some games look better as it results in a sharper image when the pixels are more condensed. Too bad there isn't an OLED lite, id be all over that.
This is why I own a switch lite. It is soo much more comfortable to hold. Form factor is better,it feels far more sturdy because there's no rails holding the controllers and it's much lighter too.

nocsi

iu

i'll be getting P4G + P5R on Switch. Already have P4G on Steam but will buy P5R on there too.

Oh boy... being able to play Persona 4/5 wherever I want is going to seriously impact my life :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: please tell me P4G + P5R on Switch will have a physical release?!?!?!?!?????
Steam deck

blacktout

Fuck yeah. And is Nier an actual product or one of those shitty cloud versions square loves so much? Game barely ran on PS4.

No one has answered your question yet, so: It's a standard retail release, not a cloud version. You can actually preorder it on the eShop right now and there's no mention of the cloud in the item description. Also, judging by other posts in this thread, there's going to be a physical release. So definitely not cloud.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's a Platinum game and Automata's director made Astral Chain, they're probably more familiar with the hardware than KH's devs.
No, Automata's combat director Takahisa Taura made Astral Chain, Automata's director was Yoko Taro.

kubricks

※本作の解像度は、TVモードで1920x1080、テーブルモード/携帯モードで1280x720です。また、フレームレートは30fpsです。

1080P docked
720P handheld
30fps

Sounds amazing for handheld play actually, hope it can maintain it through out the game. Don't do an Age of Calamity to me lol.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

1080P docked
720P handheld
30fps

Sounds amazing for handheld play actually, hope it can maintain it through out the game. Don't do an Age of Calamity to me lol.

Will be interesting to see how good it adheres to 1080p/30.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

1080P docked
720P handheld
30fps

Pleasantly surprised, I loved Automata but the game wasn't exactly most optimized game.

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
1080p docked sounds unbelievable, there's no Switch game of this scale that runs at 1080p, generally it's capped at 900p. If they can pull it off it automatically (heh) makes it the most impressive port on the system.
Especially considering it was only 900p on base PS4. I'm expecting dynamic scaling 1080p, but we'll see.

Wunray

Little bit of

1080P docked
720P handheld
30fps

And they can't get the KH series to run on the switch? I swear.

adamsapple

And? Even with a lower framerate (though cutscenes are 30 on PS4), improving the resolution would still be impressive for a native PS4 to Switch port.

It could be, but we need to see if its native, how stable the performance is and what other visual cuts have been made over the PS4 version to get it running on Switch.

Let's not assume this will be a straight 1 : 1 PS4 version running at 1080p/30 FPS just yet.

Lognor

Banned
I guess that's what justified the direct, the Persona series works much better on a portable. I'm getting it.
Agreed. Although I think it was stupid for Nintendo to hold off on announcing it for their direct. We were all sitting here for weeks thinking it was releasing everywhere but switch. Was it worth it to hold off for a direct mini? I don't think so

I'm still buying it on switch though

Kataploom

Gold Member
Fucking finally, Persona 5 Royal on Switch, it's a PS3 game engine after all, why Atlus took so damm long to launch to the Switch is beyond me, maybe some sort of exclusivity deal with Sony?
The actual surprise is that they are finally coming somewhere else than PlayStation... They had a lock on all Persona mainline games for more than 20 years already

adamsapple

PSA: Persona 5 Royal includes game breaking super powered Persona as free DLC, along with the difficulty options in the game, you can make the dungeon crawling component super easy to focus on the confidant and character development / dating sim aspects.

Last edited:

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
It could be, but we need to see if its native, how stable the performance is and what other visual cuts have been made over the PS4 version to get it running on Switch.

Let's not assume this will be a straight 1 : 1 PS4 version running at 1080p/30 FPS just yet.
Oh I'm not, I've seen, and played a few, PS4/X1 to Switch ports before, which is why them even claiming its resolution is higher than the PS4 version, even with expected Switch cutbacks, was interesting to hear and why I said I suspect they mean it's dynamic of up to 1080p to help keep the framerate close to the 30FPS target. Which would make it about on par with Astral Chain, which is dynamic of up to 900p.

Last edited:

cireza

lmao. nah, that wasn't what you were saying. or you'd have just said Switch and not mentioned the Lite version
Stop being paranoid and aggressive like this.

I simply said Lite because this is what I own. Didn't even thought for a second of anything like this. Of course people can play handheld on normal Switch.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fuck yeah. And is Nier an actual product or one of those shitty cloud versions square loves so much? Game barely ran on PS4.

Barely ran? it was closer to 60 than 30 most of the time (outside of pre-rendered cs which were 30 flat) in a generation of games that rarely maintained a locked 30.

ParaSeoul

It was 60fps most of the time and lower 50s at worst. At launch I heard it had issues but by the time the xbox port happened it was solid.

adamsapple

LordCBH

Only the portable version for Persona 3? Lame. Why not give us the proper game based on the PS2 version?

Cause Atlus are lazy. Best you can do is emulate the PS2 version of FES and install the Community Enhancement Pack + Party Control mods.

Top Bottom