• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux just announced "The Trail" - more info coming soon.

ekim

http://www.vg247.com/2014/12/02/the-trail-is-the-next-game-from-peter-molyneux/
According to Guy Cocker, Molyneux has announced his next game, The Trail, at The Fun & Serious Games Festival, currently underway in Bilbao, Spain.

We’ll probably have more on it throughout the day.

Original Source:
https://twitter.com/guycocker/status/539742548907290624

UPDATE:

http://tecnologia.elpais.com/tecnolo...61_344645.html

Sorry for the kinda shitty translation. It's better than Google Translate though :p

It's the first time he publicly talks about it. It's called The Trial. It will mix the social netowrk with an aesthetic and emotional experience. It will be for phones are tablets, with the ambition to reach thousands of millions. And the leaderboards, that listing that tells you how good you are playing a videogame, will form an essential and "never seen" part of it. It's the latest thing from Peter Molyneux. the genie that invented how to be God in a videogame with Populous. The crazy that left Microsoft after selling more than 10 million copies of his fantasy trilogy Fable to work on his own. The guru that dares to say, with a oscilating voice between seducing and calm, "with my new game, The Trial, it will take five seconds to amaze you."

Molyneux, who is one of the stars on the Fun & Serious Festival lineup, which celebrates its conferences day for professionals from December 1th to December 3rd, breaks with himself with this announcement. He said that Godus, his actual game, would be the only one in which 22 Cans, his company, would be working. But he couldn't resist to continue exploring that game so it reaches not millions, but thousands of millions through phones and tablets: "There's a huge gap between the Candy Crush player and the Call of Duty player. It's a no man's land. But there's something key on both sides of the ecuation: they let me escape from this workd. What obsesses me is taking that pleasure, that delight, and take it to a broader audience."

The trial will have all the elements that obsess Molyneux. The most important one, the comunication with the reinvention of the incredible success of the social networks: "The problem of these networks is that there is too much communication. If you and me are sharing a conversation, and we could only say ten words to the other one, we would be on one side frustrated for all that is going to be kept outside. But on the other side we would strive to fill with meaning those ten words". Because of that he is going to mimic the tecnique he used on Curiosity, the extraordinary marketing campaign that got him headlines on all the media of the globe after confronting the Internet with a cube which external appearance (texture, color, light) changed with the player's interaction. And it hid a secret. It was known after that, being the god of gods full time (and getting money for it) of Godus. The interaction of The Trial will go through that way: "It will be understood at first sight. And it will play with the posibilities of communicating beyond words, like music or painting."

But he also pretends to reformulate classic videogame concepts. Something as simple as the leaderboards, those lists that sort the ability of players worldwide, will transform in The Trial into something different: "Imagine a notion as stupid, as infinitesimal as these leaderboards. The show me how good I am at a game. We all like them. Candy Crush has them. Call of Duty has them. But is there a way that we can transform this into something integral of the game and that it thrills by itself?" Molyneux, obviously, asks retorically. And he thinks that the grail, "what any of my game hasn't had until now" is something as simple as "other people". "If I make people to get thrilled on the whole, if I make the feel the emotion of discovery together, if I connect with them not only as a single person, but as a collective, if i manage to make them worry as much os more for the other people than for themselves, then... I think we will be able to have a game with feelings that haven't been explored before". Lived by people like the millions of people that painted on his cube and comunicated with light and color for the pleasure of creating.

Molyneux is aware of the paradoxical legacy he carries. He is so good selling an idea, suggesting what it could manage to be -while he opens and closes his hands, while he stares at the nothing, stays quiet and smiles- that after that he is so praised as reviled for making monstruos expectations. Sand castles. But he knows that's part of the ride. "As in any ride, you make hits and misses. And I've learned a lot, a lot from Godus' misses. There was no progression, no reward. If we are going to make it to such a big audience they have to feel the reward, even if they play a few minutes. And there wasn't a narrative. And there always has to be a story." He's sure he is now on the right way. Because, for him, the future of the videogames is going through a magic moment between message and message. A connexion of thousands of miles away between two, three, a thousand unknowns that suddenly connect and vibrate with the same note. "The designers like me now have a thousand million screens to deliver our experiences. It's our responsability. And we only have to find the right metafor. Molyneux believes that he has it. And he wants the entire world to have it soon.

Thanks to Kulapik

Fliesen

Let me guess. This game will allow you to do literally EVERYTHING and will probably change everything about the way we interact with our games.

also microtransactions.

Why do I have an image of a game where you follow a trail, taking one step at a time with the option of buying faster shoes.
The game ends with you arriving where you started, twist was it was your trail all along ;)

ekim

273023-MolyHeader.jpg

Sojgat

Why do I have an image of a game where you follow a trail, taking one step at a time with the option of buying faster shoes.
The game ends with you arriving where you started, twist was it was your trail all along ;)

I won't be shocked when this ends up being exactly what it is.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Curiosity finale livestream on Twitch was one of the most amazing things ever.

It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down..

Chariot

I would've made a The Fail joke, but that would be inappropriate since we're already at like Fail VII: New Blood.

Every player collects breadcrumbs on an endless trail until the final person collects the last crumb and wins a lifechanging prize.

Access to a brand new trail...

glaurung

Can I finally plant an acorn and watch it grow into a tree? Is Milo in the game?
Remember when he told us that in Fable, you could drop a sword in the middle of a street and the person who picked it up would grow up to be either your friend or your enemy based on the stars etc.

What happened? Well, in reality, you couldn't even drop items in that game.

Each player is given one brick a day. Upon walking to the end of the trail, they can place the brick at the end, choosing what direction to continue the path for subsequent players arriving with their bricks. Ultimately the community chooses where the trail goes while uncovering secrets of the world.

glaurung

Each player is given one brick a day. Upon walking to the end of the trail, they can place the brick at the end, choosing what direction to continue the path for subsequent players arriving with their bricks. Ultimately the community chooses where the trail goes while uncovering secrets of the world.
A well-informed community would stone Peter to death using those bricks.

ocean

Banned
I loved Black& White when it came out. Granted I was a kid but still. Guy's got ideas. If he limits the scope of his promises and delivers on a solid but potentially less ambitious version of his ideas he might do something great. Fable terms with unfulfilled potential.

But no expectations for this, sadly.

GavinGT

Banned

IAPs for more bricks.

The bricks are a lie!

This doesn't have anything to do with the Emagon trailer released yesterday by any chance does it?

I Highly doubt it. He has to talk about how the game will change your life first with a very inspirational video with a soundtrack composed by people who work on PBS, way before showing what the game might actually be.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, We should keep believing Peter Molyneux until a successful project is out in the open.

Because sometimes, faith needs to be rewarded.

Edit: Most of the time, its idea vs execution. But time narrows down that gap and meld them together, Believe.

Fliesen

I loved Black& White when it came out. Granted I was a kid but still. Guy's got ideas. If he limits the scope of his promises and delivers on a solid but potentially less ambitious version of his ideas he might do something great. Fable terms with unfulfilled potential.

But no expectations for this, sadly.

i loved it as well, but everyone soon realised how shallow the gameplay actually was.

If being a god means picking up rocks and planting trees, hurling fireballs and creating a cloud, watching absolutely mindless townsfolk starve because they're unable to properly feed themselves without your pet sometimes watering their crops.
The Pet AI was shit as well, as the only interaction was rubbing its tummy or slapping it.

If your village was starving and your pet kept watering trees instead of filling the silos with grain (which it could do and which you scratched his tummy for millions of times already), you were short on luck.

the best / only good part about this game was igniting woods, heating up rocks and hurling them towards enemy villages.

I Highly doubt it. He has to talk about how the game will change your life first with a very inspirational video with a soundtrack composed by people who work on PBS, way before what the game might actually be.

LOL! I just thought considering the event is in Spain and that trailer was released in Spanish yesterday... And the fact that in that Emagon trailer the player seems to be following his compass, ala the trail? Meh most likely not related but I just made that connection and thought it was worth posting!

Top Bottom