• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux just announced "The Trail" - more info coming soon.

Sorcerer

Let me guess. This game will allow you to do literally EVERYTHING and will probably change everything about the way we interact with our games.

also microtransactions.

Not only that, but Peter will tell us that his previous games were shit compared to The Trail.

Not only that, but Peter will tell us that his previous games were shit compared to The Trail.

Finally, something we can agree upon!

But seriously, I wonder how cognizant he is of how far off the mark his ambitions vs. games actually fall. I would think that would be troubling. Then again, maybe he thinks his games are pretty great in the moment. Drinking too much of his own Kool-Aid perhaps. (I don't even think that they're shit for the most part, just aggressively mediocre and well below what he always says they'll be.)

I don't think that's the same as lying about the fundamental systems of your game.

It wasn't lies, it was failed ambitions. They aimed very high, and backtracked on it before the release. 10 years ago.

People who want to trash Molyneux are better of using the recent of example of Godus, where the kickstarter money for a $20 PC strategy title were primarly used for a F2P iOS title.

Sounds like that guy who predicted laying bricks could very well be right. Leaderboards for how many bricks you laid today, probably some bs like seeing other peoples messages as you walk the trail. Maybe even hooking into Facebook and profiles e.t.c

So yeh f2p bullshit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
But seriously, I wonder how cognizant he is of how far off the mark his ambitions vs. games actually fall. I would think that would be troubling. Then again, maybe he thinks his games are pretty great in the moment. Drinking too much of his own Kool-Aid perhaps. (I don't even think that they're shit for the most part, just aggressively mediocre and well below what he always says they'll be.)

There was a time when Peter was genuinely a great game designer, and when he made games that were awesome and fun to play. Populous, Dungeon Keeper, even B&W and Fable, they were all great games that are even today still fun. Somewhere along the way though he changed. I tend to believe that presently he is simply more interested in trying new game ideas than actually making great games. He seems to quickly get very excited and passionate about a new and unique concept but then rapidly loses interest and focus and gravitates towards the next new idea before the current one is "finished", or even worthwhile as a game in itself.

Possibly being successful and not caring about money can do that to a person? Maybe he is just totally free to try whatever he wants and doesn't really care if it works out or even results in a good game? I have no idea. All I know is that he made the Dungeon Keepers and I will forever treasure them.

But yeah, I don't believe his lies anymore, LOL.

It wasn't lies, it was failed ambitions. They aimed very high, and backtracked on it before the release. 10 years ago.

People who want to trash Molyneux are better of using the recent of example of Godus, where the kickstarter money for a $20 PC strategy title were primarly used for a F2P iOS title.

I don't think it was failed ambition.

Also, I don't seder why his entire record wouldn't be up for discussion. His particular past behavior is certainly relevant to the announcement of a new title.

Bricky

I can't help but feel the poor guy should have one good game left in him. Something that is at the very least enjoyable.

But, until that fateful day comes, I will just enjoy how wonderfully overambitious he is.

MisterM

I'd ask him to make a new Dungeon Keeper but he probably couldn't even do that these days without trying to re-invent the wheel.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'd ask him to make a new Dungeon Keeper but he probably couldn't even do that these days without trying to re-invent the wheel.

What I find amazing and truly perplexing is that NO ONE ELSE has made a "new" Dungeon Keeper type game. I just can't figure out why not either. War of the Overworld looks okay and I hope and pray that it turns out great, but other than that one game no one else has really tried. Seems like a genre that could really use a modern revitalization.

Bl@de

What I find amazing and truly perplexing is that NO ONE ELSE has made a "new" Dungeon Keeper type game. I just can't figure out why not either. War of the Overworld looks okay and I hope and pray that it turns out great, but other than that one game no one else has really tried. Seems like a genre that could really use a modern revitalization.

be careful what you wish for ...
DungeonKeeperTimer.png

So it's just a page of scripted dialogue at the end?
Okay maybe you're not getting it every game is a script, our whole fucking lives are scripts when you think about it, the very action of picking up a controller with expectations has been coded into you ever since your first interaction with the medium of electronic transmission joy boxes, what we're trying to do here is subvert that expectation in order to push through to something more, sometimes it's like you people aren't even listening, pretty sure this kinect tech is gonna blow your mind o

Molyneux hasn't been relevant for over 10 years. I doubt he even knows what he wants the final "product" to be. The guy is getting politics mixed up with gaming.

Com_Raven

There was a new Dungeon Keeper.

It was the worst IAP game in the world.

Not really. I don't think Dungeon Keeper did it worse than hundreds of other games which do not cause such an uproar. The only difference was that it was EA and an established brand.

Okay maybe you're not getting it every game is a script, our whole fucking lives are scripts when you think about it, the very action of picking up a controller with expectations has been coded into you ever since your first interaction with the medium of electronic transmission joy boxes, what we're trying to do here is subvert that expectation in order to push through to something more, sometimes it's like you people aren't even listening, pretty sure this kinect tech is gonna blow your mind o
Peter Molybux/10

Top Bottom