• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Molyneux, legend

buenoblue

The irony is the technology is now there to fulfill his promises. Trouble is he doesn't have the modern programing skills or backing and studio to make that shit anymore.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Do you have a list of any good games he made?
Prettt much every single one. Granted, I didn't play thta cube thing snd the trsil, but I sank msny hours into godus even. Just very frustrating how it got absndoned.

But actibg like hr didn't make good games is pure hubris.

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz

Dr. Suchong

I remember getting mad at him for calling 16bit consoles "Doorstops" in Edge iirc.
Love the guy though, despite his bloated claims.
Some incredible games.
His fervent attitude is something I miss.

Dr. Suchong

main.php

VO7vdmd.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
Peter Molyneux didn't make Spore, that was Will Wright with Maxis.

Aaand you're wrong, Spore actually was awesome (for what it was).

The arc of that game's public perception was very Molyneux-esque though.

oops you are 1000% right, my bad!

Haggard

Banned
Molyneux before the 2000s was amazing. A true giant of the industry.
Molyneux in the 2000s and onwards has become a lying deceiving bag of shite that can`t be completely forgotten soon enough.

Last edited:

Spacefish

The reaction to Peter Molyneux always felt like a toddler crying over christmas gifts, It's a pretty clear look into how seriously even adults take their pointless expectations. What should be a simple "it sucks it didn't live up to expectations" turns into betrayal, pathological lying and scam artistry. I would rather have an industry full of people who are open, ridiculously ambitious and always fall short than the backward looking, risk adverse and neurotic environment we have cultivated.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Bullfrog's most successful game was Theme Park. Co-designed with Peter Molyneux and Demis Hassabis. If it was just Peter coming up with ideas that sounded cool to him and running his mouth, I doubt it would have been such a hit.

tylrdiablos

Compulsive liar hasn't done anything decent in 20+ years... better throw some praise his way.

I think this is a good time to suggest the mods add some new reactions to posts, [Love], [Like], [Thoughtful], [LOL] etc aren't enough; they're too positive. We need [Garbage Post], [Obvious Troll] and [Please Go Away] etc.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think the complexities of game development finally caught up with his bullshit, and we got to see who he really was.

He's a has-been that made some good games, but no where near a legend.
I think it is more that as game development became more complex his vision for what he could achieve increasingly departed from what he could actually achieve.
I think he wanted to make the games he was talking about and had an idea about how they could be implemented, but it all collapsed under the complexity of just making the standard game.
His early games were a large part his creation, modern AAA games are a different beast.

PhaseJump

Banned
He started up a blockchain game last year and people got angry, and he's been a meme for decades, but Peter Molyneux is a legend of the industry and deserves some respect from the zoomers that never experienced his brilliant games.

He started off with Bullfrog, one of the all-time great PC studios.

1989 - Populous & Populous II
The highly praised god games that kicked off the genre and his career.

1993 - Syndicate
The start of the great Syndicate tactical strategy games.

1994 and 1995 - Magic Carpet & Magic Carpet 2
A showcase visual stunner at the time.

1994 - Theme Park
Highly influential superb management game that still resonates today and studios are still copying its design.

1995 - Hi-Octane
A cool racer in the vein of F-Zero and Wipeout.

1997 - Dungeon Keeper
One of the best PC games of the 90s, a legendary dungeon builder.

Then he went on to found Lionhead studios alongside a bunch of others.

2001 and 2005 - Black & White and Black & White 2
Innovate and incredibly ambitious god game, one of the best franchises ever to be "lost in time".

2004, 2008, and 2010 - Fable 1, 2 and 3
A bit overhyped perhaps, but the first 2 are still great, and the second one still holds up reasonably well

2005 - The Movies
A cool management game with an awesome concept

This is a stellar career.

You're on a roll, OP. Keep going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Milo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity:_What's_Inside_the_Cube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godus

I'm no zoomer, and Fable is one of my all time favorite games; but this thread fishing for respect on his behalf is fucking retarded. The guy over promises and under delivers on everything. He's a fucking AAA budget parasite. Kickstarter probably loses money every time you say his name 3 times in a mirror.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
He likes to over-promise..

I was okay with it for a long time, but in 2009 when he basically sold his soul, with did the Project Natal thing(Kinect's codename). Smoke & mirrors, and blatantly lying, multiple times. That was a little too much for me.

So I'm not falling for it again.

Started bright and ended up as a black hole?

I think he and George Lucas had the same problem: as long as there were limitations in place, either technical or financial, they were able to condense their ideas into a good product but once those limitations became less severe or were gone, they just tried to put in every thought they had.

Anyways, here is 3 hour comprehensive video about his whole career

Drizzlehell

Banned
I recently saw a clip of him talking about Kinect like it was the second coming of Christ during a Microsoft presentation on some game show, and then a quick cut of him in another interview saying that it was actually garbage, lol.

That man has a problem and it's good that he stepped down from the public light. I hope he's doing well but he shouldn't be doing any press ever again and just focus on making games, preferably with someone else directing the project.

JLB

Banned
I have enjoyed so much many of his games. Populous was a revolution at the time. Black and White was pure creativity. He does not deserve all the backslash.

Sentenza

Indeed. This man was very creative.
Even as someone who loved basically the entirety of Bullfrog's output, the latter half of his career instilled in me the STRONG suspicious that even his best accomplishments were probably a case of him lucking out with some competent hire and then taking credit of the final outcome while leeching on other people's talent.

I mean, we are talking about a man that admitted of entering game development AT ALL only to take advantage of a logistic error where he got delivered 40-something computers by mistake, for Christ' sake.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

The reaction to Peter Molyneux always felt like a toddler crying over christmas gifts, It's a pretty clear look into how seriously even adults take their pointless expectations. What should be a simple "it sucks it didn't live up to expectations" turns into betrayal, pathological lying and scam artistry. I would rather have an industry full of people who are open, ridiculously ambitious and always fall short than the backward looking, risk adverse and neurotic environment we have cultivated.
Most people here would pay and play the same AAA game for 3 generations straight. They don't care about creativity, they only care about immersion and story. They shun a creator who made very interesting and unique games just because his promises didn't live up to their AAA expectations.

Melon Husk

Molyneux is a marketing man
Video game developers in the early days were not people with marketing skills - they needed him
Molyneux could sell a product and he sold the product damn well - too well
Biggest mistake was letting the marketing guy be the boss

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
He started up a blockchain game last year and people got angry, and he's been a meme for decades, but Peter Molyneux is a legend of the industry and deserves some respect from the zoomers that never experienced his brilliant games.

He started off with Bullfrog, one of the all-time great PC studios.

1989 - Populous & Populous II
The highly praised god games that kicked off the genre and his career.

1993 - Syndicate
The start of the great Syndicate tactical strategy games.

1994 and 1995 - Magic Carpet & Magic Carpet 2
A showcase visual stunner at the time.

1994 - Theme Park
Highly influential superb management game that still resonates today and studios are still copying its design.

1995 - Hi-Octane
A cool racer in the vein of F-Zero and Wipeout.

1997 - Dungeon Keeper
One of the best PC games of the 90s, a legendary dungeon builder.

Then he went on to found Lionhead studios alongside a bunch of others.

2001 and 2005 - Black & White and Black & White 2
Innovate and incredibly ambitious god game, one of the best franchises ever to be "lost in time".

2004, 2008, and 2010 - Fable 1, 2 and 3
A bit overhyped perhaps, but the first 2 are still great, and the second one still holds up reasonably well

2005 - The Movies
A cool management game with an awesome concept

Incredible portfolio.

He's knocked it out of the park with those

Poor Peter has literally cut off his nose to spite his face. He was creative director at Microsoft in 2009 (how he pulled that off I don't know) but decided to leave to setup a new studio called 22cans 🤣. You couldn't make this shit up 😅

You're on a roll, OP. Keep going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Milo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity:_What's_Inside_the_Cube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godus

I'm no zoomer, and Fable is one of my all time favorite games; but this thread fishing for respect on his behalf is fucking retarded. The guy over promises and under delivers on everything. He's a fucking AAA budget parasite. Kickstarter probably loses money every time you say his name 3 times in a mirror.
I'd argue Fable 2 at the time was a great game, how much of that had to do with him is another thing altogether.

Novacain

I'm glad you appreciated some of his games; I did too, but maybe too much for my own good.

Because when he lied, and did awful things on the basis of that previously earned good will and trust, I felt personally salty.

And still do - Fuck Peter Molyneux.

Top Bottom