• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to make Sony support 1440p

Keihart

I think they do a system level downsampling from 4K to achieve 1440p. Not sure it is the solution OP wants.
it is exactly what OP wants, he is not asking for new render options but for an option so the output signal it's 1440p. I understand why he wants it since image processing it's shit on most monitors and asking it to do some type of down or upsampling if it supports it, it's more often than not shit. On TV's tho, it matter very little.

Edit: although, since it's an OS level feature, i'm not siding with OP nor signing his petition...i would kindly prefer that the PlayStation OS team would get their asses onto quick resume ASAP.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Are you seriously that out of touch? Very few people want a 4k monitor for gaming, there aren't many GPU's that can push decent frames on 4k. We're years away from that.
...and it's really not about getting a 4K monitor - it's about getting the 4K monitor, that has 120hz and HDMI 2.1. The Eve Spectrum costs around 600 euros, not 250 bucks.. Plus going from a 27" 1440p to a 27" 4K, is not worth it.

27" 1440p = 109PPI
27" 4K = 163PPI

Perfect PPI = 110

TJC

I can guarantee 90% + PS4 owners use a TV to play on, why support 1440p when it's clearly only for the PC master race who want to play the best games created.

NickFire

I'd much rather see them work on an official Optical output for legacy surround systems, whether via HDMI adapter or any other possible pathway.

FrankWza

I can see a use for this for people. I think they should patch in 1440p support. Hopefully they will. If we go back to the benq comment I’m assuming they will at some point.

Gediminas

Banned
Wrong it does not
Many PC MONITORS do NOT support above 1080P ON HDMI PORTS. Even if the port can handle it.

supporting 1440p is pointless.
Either 1080p or 4k
people have 1080 or 4k monitors

asking for 1440p i like asking for 21:9 support.

i wish they did. But it makes NO sense
when you are at war, every retarded thing makes sense for the side which grasping the last straws :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I can guarantee 90% + PS4 owners use a TV to play on, why support 1440p when it's clearly only for the PC master race who want to play the best games created.

I too hate options and choice and think whichever Plastic Overlord decides is the best resolution for me is the best choice. They only have my best interest at heart.

Wrong it does not
Many PC MONITORS do NOT support above 1080P ON HDMI PORTS. Even if the port can handle it.

supporting 1440p is pointless.
Either 1080p or 4k
people have 1080 or 4k monitors

asking for 1440p i like asking for 21:9 support.

i wish they did. But it makes NO sense

And here I am with my ultrawide 3440x1440 G-sync 120hz monitor, and my secondary 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor wondering why I'm playing all my games at these resolutions when everyone and ALL developers know it's pointless.

gcgHjSP.jpg

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I too hate options and choice and think whichever Plastic Overlord decides is the best resolution for me is the best choice. They only have my best interest at heart.

And here I am with my ultrawide 3440x1440 G-sync 120hz monitor, and my secondary 1440p 144hz G-sync monitor wondering why I'm playing all my games at these resolutions when everyone and ALL developers know it's pointless.

gcgHjSP.jpg

That's funny i have the same set up. 21:9 console gaming GL with that shit hahaha
or g-sync. more like.. fuck you if you buy amd-sync

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Why use a crappy monitor with terrible black levels and response time that's not as good as oled? Get a tv if you care about quality.

But more options are good I suppose.
How many streamers have u seen using a TV? - hell, no capture card supports 4k/120hz passthrough, so that's a no-no. And finally, how many pro console players do you think play on a TV, besides FIFA-players?

How many streamers have u seen using a TV? - hell, no capture card supports 4k/120hz passthrough, so that's a no-no. And finally, how many pro console players do you think play on a TV, besides FIFA-players?
Pros and streamers are an extreme minority

Not sure why a pro wouldn’t play on a Samsung lcd with under 1 frame lag. 10ms or thereabouts

PerfectDark

Banned
I am so disappointed right now. I am debating on switching to series x or at least having to have one.

I play casual games on my 4k tv on my recliner. But when Rust comes out and CoD, BF and so on I want to play at 120fps at 1440p on my monitor and use M&K with a xim apex if consoles don't allow mnk support.

Just like console people making a big fuss about ssd's that I been using to game on for 5+ years. They have no idea what they are talking about or missing.

1440p 120+hz with free or gsync is 100xs better then 4k 60fps.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Pros and streamers are an extreme minority

Not sure why a pro wouldn’t play on a Samsung lcd with under 1 frame lag. 10ms or thereabouts
That may well be the future, but for now that extreme minority uses monitors and capture cards that's not supported by PS5. A 1440p setting would not change anything for people with OLED's, and it wouldn't force people without OLED's to go out and buy new setups. There is absolutely no reasoning behind Sony not supporting 1440p. It's an anti-consumer move and all who support that, either has more money than the extreme majority, or are extreme fanboys who thinks Sony does everything right.

That may well be the future, but for now that extreme minority uses monitors and capture cards that's not supported by PS5. A 1440p setting would not change anything for people with OLED's, and it wouldn't force people without OLED's to go out and buy new setups. There is absolutely no reasoning behind Sony not supporting 1440p. It's an anti-consumer move and all who support that, either has more money than the extreme majority, or are extreme fanboys who thinks Sony does everything right.
Yeah I mean they should probably support 1440p, but wiretaps in the controller, a lack of games and a draconian tos are bigger issues.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Well, after the news about all 2019 and 2020 OLED's are malfunctional in some way, in regards to nextgen consoles - I'll be hanging on to my monitor for a while.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Sony Doesn't sell 1440p TVs so they don't care I guess
He literally just stated they could implement it in the future if enough demands it.
With the majority of 120fps games running 1440p (upscaled to 4K), people who want a very nice setup, with near perfect pixel per inch, can buy a 1440p/144hz monitor and be good to go. Even a lot of capture cards support that passthrough, so for content makers and streamers it's a win-win situation.

Andodalf

Banned
He literally just stated they could implement it in the future if enough demands it.
With the majority of 120fps games running 1440p (upscaled to 4K), people who want a very nice setup, with near perfect pixel per inch, can buy a 1440p/144hz monitor and be good to go. Even a lot of capture cards support that passthrough, so for content makers and streamers it's a win-win situation.

That's code for "lol no"

It's like when you tell a kid that you can "Maybe" go to McDonalds if they clean their room

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I really don't know where this "hate" for 1440p comes from - and why some gaffers don't want it on PS5...

It's like: "I bought this expensive malfunctional OLED - now do the same - Sony doesn't like you! Sony likes me - buy buy buy!"

200.gif

JLB

Banned

10% of Playstation base is more than 10 million users. Fuck them for a small faeture like this? LIke why?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Wohoo! Let's show them we want 1440p ✊

I've signed just to support your cause! I last time I used a monitor was in 2007. Since then, I use my TV's as monitors and other proposes.

The pressure serves the customers, it's healthy. One good result here after pressure being applied:

More pressure and they'll separate the Remastered and probably charge $10-5 with season pass included or free for season pass owners like me.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Do consoles not support every resolution under 4k? How did the xbox one manage to out put games at 900p or something like that not to mention all the weird and random resolutions we got with dynamic resolution on games. Genuinely confused here. The

ZywyPL

Banned
That's arrogant Sony returning yet once again, either just add the option or gtfo. What's next, we will have to beg for VRR or other missing options? IMO all the people who game on 1440p monitors should just show Sony the middle finger and get an Xbox instead, they're obviously not interested in that niche user group.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That's arrogant Sony returning yet once again, either just add the option or gtfo. What's next, we will have to beg for VRR or other missing options? IMO all the people who game on 1440p monitors should just show Sony the middle finger and get an Xbox instead, they're obviously not interested in that niche user group.
I hear you. The problem is, Xbox has just a few games I want to play - PlayStation has a lot.

I'm pretty confident 1440p will come to PS5 very soon. 1400 comments on their faq-page - 99% of them is about 1440p.

MiguelItUp

Hell, I replaced one of my two monitors with a 32" G-sync 120hz monitor because I wanted 120hz and 1440p. Why 1440? Because I have no interest in a 4K monitor. TV? Sure! Monitor? Nah.

Top Bottom