• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming west for Xbox One, PC

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
well that was fucking funny no europe?
haha oh well.

maybe because it is free to play it will be fucked so hard with in app lootbox aids.
it's already banned in europe.
nintendo gave up on europe too XD

Shouta

Did PSO 2 chnage since 8 years ago on PC. I played it a bunch on PC 8 years ago and it was terrible. No rares all free to play crap. I loved just about every pso on console, and handheld up until pso2.

8 years is a lot of time for a game so I'd assume it has. It has big boss battles from the random videos I'm looking at of the JP version, for example, which wasn't a thing when it launched back in the day.

Sacred

HAHAHA...HAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG, THIS IS GLORIOUS!

Even when it looks like they're doing a good thing, they manage to ruin it with something asinine.

This is awesome, this is incredible, they just can't do it right, even after 7 years!

What are you even talking about, they have over a year till the game comes out to sort it out. Guess your big discovery is absolutely nothing.

What are you even talking about, they have over a year till the game comes out to sort it out. Guess your big discovery is absolutely nothing.
No, his "big discovery" means a lot since SEGA (or the PSO localization team whoever) has been saying the same thing ("we know it's frustrating but when we know more we will share", "we can't confirm anything but we're working on it" etc) about a western release of PSO2 for the past 8 years. This has become a joke in the PSO2 community and I won't hold my breath for a EU release.

I feel bad for PS4 owners especially if this turns out to be exclusive to xbox gamers, since the game is already on PS4. lol

Pallas

Wow, this was a surprise. Even if the game is old, coming to the west as an exclusive to Xbox/PC is a good get.

No, his "big discovery" means a lot since SEGA (or the PSO localization team whoever) has been saying the same thing ("we know it's frustrating but when we know more we will share", "we can't confirm anything but we're working on it" etc) about a western release of PSO2 for the past 8 years. This has become a joke in the PSO2 community and I won't hold my breath for a EU release.

I feel bad for PS4 owners especially if this turns out to be exclusive to xbox gamers, since the game is already on PS4. lol

Well they made it seem like the only reason it came out in the west is because of Microsoft’s involvement and Azure. I’m sure if PS4 players want to play it in the states, they can do it on PC, if they refuse to buy an Xbox One.

Xenon

Critically speaking, how well was this game received compares to PSO?

People went through a lot to play it even though it was in Japanese. I heard nothing but good things myself but never wanted to bother with the Japanese version

-Minsc-

People went through a lot to play it even though it was in Japanese. I heard nothing but good things myself but never wanted to bother with the Japanese version
I tried it about 4-5 years ago. Seemed like a nice game. Mainly stuck to myself though so I really didn't get the online experience. May get Windows 10 so I can play this thing. Either that or stick with PSO:BB/Ephinea.

Havoc2049

I was under the impression that Xbox fans didn't care for Japanese games and yet this is coming to Xbox One before PS4 in the west?

I’m a big Phantasy Star and Xbox fan. Many Dreamcast fans moved on to the OG Xbox, because of tons of Sega support for the system.

The communities for Phantasy Star Online Ep. I & II (XB) and Phantasy Star Universe (X360) we’re fairly healthy. The majority of the PSU community in North America was on the X360. The North America PSU servers for PS2 and PC were shut down due to inactivity in early 2010, but the X360 servers in North America stayed on until the fall of 2012.

Zephir

They had years to sort it out. The fact they didn't announce a release date for Europe means they already know it'll not come out the same day.

I don't know what's binding them, but it's stupid. Even more stupid is the fact that this is just another fail in the big pile of crap that the western release of PSO2 has been since the beginning.

Fans of the game don't deserve it, especially the ones that still believed in the game coming here.

You Americans can be happy, but us Europeans deserve the right to be angry.

And you know the funny thing? Even if it does come out, I'll probably not even play it because, despite not being free to play, FF14 is superior in every way. Also, because screw them.

McCheese

How does it compare to the original PSO for those who were old school die hards?

Has a similar vibe but most of what I liked about the original has been lost.

Both the art style and story are very anime, it's basically a bunch of skimpy elf girls everywhere.

the combat has jumping, but retains the zoning and timing mechanics.

but most importantly, it's f2p, so has a ton of currencies and timers etc which really suck the fun out of it.

Alx

Are there still mags floating around, that you can feed and evolve, and that will help you in combat with their abilities ?

Dupe me a spread needle and crash the lobby with spells! I’m a happy chap!

How much like PSO is this game?

I lost years of my life online on the Dreamcast. Can I feed my MAG and make it become a Saturn?

Edit: No EU date? Fuck!

Last edited:

cireza

I was under the impression that Xbox fans didn't care for Japanese games and yet this is coming to Xbox One before PS4 in the west?
I was under the impression that someone would make this kind of comment. It is always the same thing, PS4 can have all games that's fine, but as soon as MS gets something it is the most unbearable thing ever.

MS is providing infrastructure for the game, this game is a most wanted game for Sega fans since its release. And it finally gets released in the West. Are you a true Sega fan ? That's what your avatars tries to tell, yet you don't act like one.

Kazza

HAHAHA...HAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG, THIS IS GLORIOUS!

Even when it looks like they're doing a good thing, they manage to ruin it with something asinine.

This is awesome, this is incredible, they just can't do it right, even after 7 years!

I think it's pretty obvious from Sega Europe's multiple replies in this thread that the game is coming to Europe too:

Remember, we still have until April of next year. I predict that it will be the same situation as the Valkyria Chronicles 4 announcement, where PC fans were pissed at no mention of a PC port, but got the game the same day as the consoles in the end (Sega Europe put out some reassuring tweets then too).

Last edited:

Conan-san

Your twiter mind tricks don't work on me, only cash (ne; confirmation).

Besides that, Sega's had thier thumbs up their bum when it came to PAL releases before. Dare I speak the hellsong of Persona 4 Arena? The Durge of SMT 4?

Last edited:

Alx

Azure? So they are bringing a cloud version of the game? Guess im off then.

Mentioning "Azure" only means it's using online servers. Which is a good thing for an online game. The extent of how they use those servers can go from regular game hosting to advanced cloud features, but we can't know that extent with only the word "Azure".

Zephir

I think it's pretty obvious from Sega Europe's multiple replies in this thread that the game is coming to Europe too

I call it damage control but whatever, I'm too angry at the moment to even fake optimism...

we'll see in the next months what they're planning (IF they're planning something)...

cireza

Azure? So they are bringing a cloud version of the game? Guess im off then.
Azure provides servers in the cloud, yet it does not mean that the game is cloud based with streaming. Two different things. This is an online MMORPG, it needs online servers.

Last edited:
Hell yeah, it's not as good as the first one though, but will be good with and official relase, even if it dosent come to europe, cant you just make a american xbox account to download the game?

NahaNago

This is a weird announcement for a xbox. Like shouldn't they release it for next gen xbox instead of a console whose life is coming to a close.

Senhua

Wow congrats PC and XBOX players. You will be on treat when this game launched.
According why only to that two for now, maybe because on the right bottom corner of the image thing and I assume that only timed so PS4 and Switch will join too in time
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Dupe me a spread needle and crash the lobby with spells! I’m a happy chap!

How much like PSO is this game?

I lost years of my life online on the Dreamcast. Can I feed my MAG and make it become a Saturn?

Edit: No EU date? Fuck!
There's a fan translation you can play on the official servers; they stick to specific blocks for the English community

It's a lot like the old game, with some new mechanic layers and classes added
There's no crashing the lobbies though; they made sure of that

I'm totally amped for this finally coming to the west, at least in some form.

It does have a LOT of micro transaction type stuff currently, and SEGA is fuckin' boss on getting promotional events for anime and movies and stuff

Yes, you can lewd out your characters.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Wow congrats PC and XBOX players. You will be on treat when this game launched.
According why only to that two for now, maybe because on the right bottom corner of the image thing and I assume that only timed so PS4 and Switch will join too in time
maxresdefault.jpg
I...I didn't think about the whole stream to Switch thing....
I'd fuckin' lose it if they brought it to switch in the US, I'd give my left testicle for that

Famous last words aren't they?

I am guessing they knew about this at the last minute and used a typical PR response.

I would actually blame MS on this part as well for misleading the end trailer saying "West 2020".

I don't usually get angry about things like this, but you are right....they seem to not be able to get their act together even knowing how much this means to all the fans.

Are you a true Sega fan ? That's what your avatars tries to tell, yet you don't act like one.
I didn't pick my avatar to say I'm a "true" SEGA fan, I picked it because Skies of Arcadia Legends is my favorite game of all-time. Not everything regarding video games has to come down to brand allegiance and I have a right to my differing opinion.

cireza

I didn't pick my avatar to say I'm a "true" SEGA fan, I picked it because Skies of Arcadia Legends is my favorite game of all-time. Not everything regarding video games has to come down to brand allegiance and I have a right to my differing opinion.
This is still port-begging on PS4 of a Sega game, while not even taking the time to understand the situation. You are asking on PS4 for a game that MS is actually helping bring in the West...

Last edited:
No Europe release? It doesn't seem too much of a problem if you can download it from the US store by changing your consoles region. To play it, could you not set up a bridge with your Xbox with a VPN running in the background? I plan to do that if nothing is sorted out.

Kazza

As someone who has never played a PSO game before:

Is it possible to only play this a couple of hours per week and still get enjoyment from it, or is it the type of game you need to devote your whole waking hours to playing in order to keep up with everyone else?

Last edited:

cireza

As someone who has never played a PSO game before:

Is it possible to only play this a couple of hours per week and still get enjoyment from it, or is it the type of game you need to devote your whole waking hours to playing in order to keep up with everyone else?
I don't really see why you would need to invest huge amount of time in it. I played PSO and PSU online a bit, you could defenitely play in a casual way. You create your character and pick missions in various regions, you just pick whatever difficulty fits your level. There were so many regions in PSU that it was extremely varied. Have fun fighting against enemies (combat is very satisfying in PSO), and a boss at the end. My guess is that PSO2 works the same way. In PSU you could also play solo without problem, many of the missions where totally manageable as long as you selected a difficulty that matched your level.

If this is getting a US release it must mean Phantasy Star online 3 is about to release and we will have to wait 10 years for that to show up.
Well this is certainly true. PSO2 is clearly ending its life in Japan, you can be sure that they are preparing the next game...

Last edited:

BunzLee

I am actually surprised to see this one. I called this game out in the "unlikely announcements for E3" thread, and here we are. I can't complain, as we're finally getting it... But it's just so late. I wish this announcement didn't leave as much of a bitter aftertaste as it did.

Komatsu

Amazing. I had given up already. I played it in the JP servers briefly in 2016 and it was immensely fun. It is a pretty good game and it has a solid base in Asia.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Great bump, well done. I thought that there were actual news, about Europe for example... But nope.
Not that it's an ideal situation, but Sega has already taken down the region blocking for their Japan servers, and from the USA it's....manageable...lag

With Europe being inbetween, I can see them springing up sattellite servers in Europe after seeing how the reception is in the US

PSO2 is also pretttttttttty heavy into the character customization and you can apply...certain outfits... to say, younger looking characters. I can only imagine the tip toeing Sega is going to be doing for the rest of the world releases for PS02 and how much content is actually going to be cut

I think EP 3 or 4 of PS02 gets into this weird high school magical girl yuri sort of story....so I'm not sure how they're going to mull that over in the translation

One of the main characters in that plot runs around in some racey shreded lingerie looking outfit, so I'd imagine that getting covered up pretty well too

Give it time, Sega won't forget you guys like they did the rest of the world for years before removing the damn region locking, forcing us to use a fucking VPN with their encryption that only 1 person held and could've dipped at any time and we would've lost access to PSO2

Havoc2049

Way more salt than I had expected in a PSO2 thread. I can only pray the servers don't get bogged down by toxicity.

It's not that bad. There are more positive posts than negative ones. Even the negative ones are from people who want to play the game.

Sega announced a long time ago that they were searching for partners to bring PSO2 to regions outside of Japan. Microsoft is providing the servers for North America. From what Phil said, it sounds like the game is still a free agent and this isn't an exclusive deal. Nintendo, Sony or another publisher can step up to the plate and bring PSO2 to other platforms and regions. It would be cool if Microsoft and Sega announced they were bringing PSO2 to Europe for the XB1 and PC as well. Microsoft needs all the good will they can get in Europe.

Last edited:

Ornoku

I first got into PSO on the original Xbox. I'm glad that they're going to be offering the current experience on the current Xbox.

Top Bottom