• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer admits defeat in console space, and doesn't think great games would help Xbox's market share.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would you consider Circana, GFK or similar, companies with insight since they're connected to retail, distribution, and sales?
Post what they said in regard to supply and demand.

They are readily available. You don't fire sale a supply constrained product for well over a year.

The X has been available in bundles for months now.
Which aren't on fire sale, and was the original unit originally discussed.

The same unit that these companies keep bringing up shortages for in their reports without being asked. Not the S.
They put everything they own in a service because they do not have any standout games that can push 10-20M copies and consoles. So let's have an all-you-can-eat buffet instead.

They should have focused on the games first. But again, if the games were doing that well for the platform,gamepass would not exist as it is right now.
This take is miscalulated. Game Pass was launched 6 years ago iirc which doesn't connect well with this assumption.

Last edited:
Irrelevant. There is no shortage, it's lack of demand in current day.
So you're argument is that Circana, GFK, others are all being dishonest about the X? The guys with retail insight?

alrighty then. I think that's a little crazy, but if that's how you see it we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

demigod

Which wasn't what the discussion was about. You are still providing no answers and changing the topic. If you don't have an answer say you don't. You're trying to trick people into forgetting what we were talking about, which wasn't the S. Nor did anyone claim the S had demand exceeding supply, it's something you completely made up.

Are you being disingenuous? I even mentioned a recent example, the recent UK thread on this very forum.

I see actual discourse isn't here. Disappointing.
Yep, you are making shit up. You have nothing to back up your claim. Reminds me of a certain banned user Eddie Griffin.

Mr.Phoenix

Xbox needs games to make gamepass work. Not needs gamepass to make games work.

And that is their problem right now.

They are like a restaurant that started bleeding customers because their food was bad. But rather than make their food better, they decided to make it cheaper instead. Hey for only $10 you can get all you can eat. Eventually, they are going to see that even cheap bad food isn't worth paying for.

And I don't know if its some sort of group brainwash, and how so many championed this whole gamepass idea, but think about it... If MS were making games that sold for $60/$70 and were selling 10-20M copies of those, does anyone think they would put those games on a service day 1? They put everything they own in a service because they do not have any standout games that can push 10-20M copies and consoles. So let's have an all-you-can-eat buffet instead.

They should have focused on the games first. But again, if the games were doing that well for the platform,gamepass would not exist as it is right now.

Yep, you are making shit up.

Yes, because YOU can't answer the question, I'm making stuff up?

it's clear you are not capable, or interested in rational discussion. There's also a recent UK sales thread on this very forum from GFK saying the same thing, and none of this is news we've been seeing the X singled out for some time now. The only person that doesn't have backup for their position is you. Anecdotes which can be reversed, isn't evidence.

The only thing made up is your poor argument because you want to insult people instead of having a discussion, all because you're obsessed with your console of choice.
Once again,
Once again, they posted about shortages.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

it's clear you are not capable, or interested in rational discussion. You don't know how to conduct yourself. There's also a recent UK sales thread on this very forum from GFK saying the same thing, and none of this is news we've been seeing the singled out for some time now.

The only thing made up is your poor argument because you want to insult people instead of having a discussion, all because you're obsessed with your console of choice.

Oh so hard to get!

This is US Amazon. All say add to cart.

Actual verifiable evidence, not anecdotal since this is the ALL OF US Amazon, and not words without context from Mat.

Oh look, even Walmart!

right now on bestbuy or amazon you can get a PS5. series X is not there. but series S is.

Either microsoft doesnt care to make more Series X units or the demand isnt there. who knows.
Just check my local Best Buy in Central Florida and all the locations have Series X in stock with or without bundles. All Access is a go too.

Same with Target and Walmarts here.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

right now on bestbuy or amazon you can get a PS5. series X is not there. but series S is.

Either microsoft doesnt care to make more Series X units or the demand isnt there. who knows.

Oh so hard to get!

This is US Amazon. All say add to cart.

Actual verifiable evidence, not anecdotal since this is the ALL OF US Amazon, and not words without context from Mat.
Is the GFK also out of context?

Is Amazon the only place that sells Xbox Series X people buy from or are you pushing a questionable argument by omitting other retailers?

There's no need to go around in circles here, you're saying that Circana and GFK are dishonest. You don't agree with them because of some anecdotes that many buyers won't see or use and act as if only Amazon matters. I disagree and think there's a more credible and honest way of going about this.

It's clear we will continue to disagree on the big picture here, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Apparently what you're seeing does not align with some people's Anecdotes here which they are using to paint a broader picture with a ton of missing factors and data.

Hey, apparently that's allowed so I can't say anything but point out the flaws in that, and disagree. The above back and forth was unproductive and I couldn't get real discussion through so I'll leave this thread be.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Is Amazon the only place that sells Xbox Series X people buy from or are you pushing a questionable argument by omitting other retailers?

There's no need to go around in circles here, you're saying that Circana and GFK are dishonest. You don't agree with them because of some anecdotes that many buyers won't see or use and act as if only Amazon matters. I disagree and think there's a more credible and honest way of going about this.

It's clear we will continue to disagree on the big picture here, so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Apparently what you're seeing does not align with some people's Anecdotes here which they are using to paint a broader picture with a ton of missing factors and data.

Hey, apparently that's allowed so I can't say anything but point out the flaws in that, and disagree. The above back and forth was unproductive and I couldn't get real discussion through so I'll leave this thread be.
There is no "hard to get shortages" right now. I provided verifiable evidence.

It's not that in demand at the moment.

Last edited:

demigod

s2XG6N8.png
eMIrzrK.png
FY3vxKR.png

Stop with the fake shortages. Folks just aren’t willing to pay $559 for the Series X when you can get a PS5 for $499. If you’ll look at the 2nd photo, it appears that ms has stopped shipping the non bundles to retailers.

it's clear you are not capable, or interested in rational discussion. There's also a recent UK sales thread on this very forum from GFK saying the same thing, and none of this is news we've been seeing the X singled out for some time now. The only person that doesn't have backup for their position is you. Anecdotes which can be reversed, isn't evidence.

I backed up my shit already when i called you out. There is no shortages of series x. Damn Eddie Griffin how many accounts you have?

demigod

Where do you live that Best Buy has none around? It is on Amazon.

At least do some fact checking before continuing to make a fool out of yourself. It is there on Amazon.

XjIfifk.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Irrelevant. There is no shortage impacting sales of the units, it's lack of demand in current day.

Not entirely true, while I see Amazon links being posted, y'all are neglecting to mention that it just stopped becoming an Invite Only item just yesterday.

Before that it has been an invite-only item since launch. Not available to add to cart any time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not entirely true, while I see Amazon links being posted, y'all are neglecting to mention that it just stopped becoming an Invite Only item just yesterday.

Before that it has been an invite-only item since launch. Not available to add to cart any time.
Bundles were not invite only and been on there since the FH5 bundle. And have been available since that bundle.

adamsapple

Bundles were not invite only and been on there since the FH5 bundle. And have been available since that bundle.

Right, but the FH5 bundle only came out this year. It hasn't been around since the game launched, before anyone implies the SKU has been there since '21.

The stand alone console itself, since launch and even now, has been OOS pretty much all the time. To the point of it being a toss up between demand and them having literal production line issues putting them out.

Christ, the warriors have become so desperate that they have to argue about the console being readily available now? FFS, go play some games or go touch grass. Do something with your lives.

LegalJointAtlanticspadefish-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Which aren't on fire sale, and was the original unit originally discussed.

The same unit that these companies keep bringing up shortages for in their reports without being asked. Not the S.

This take is miscalulated. Game Pass was launched 6 years ago iirc which doesn't connect well with this assumption.
That's the whole point of what I said. Gamepass was launched at a time when the platform was practically dying. And instead of them going in the direction of giving the best possible games you could play for any given year, they instead chose to go with a strategy that just gave you a lot of quantity but very little quality. And that is still happening to this day.

If you have just a lot of B-tier games and one or two stand-out must-haves, you cannot grow any platform, be it Xbox or gamepass. That is why starting from 2017, they should have been focusing on the games and not on a service.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

So finally that theory gets tested right? Next month, two months, three months? When can we look at sales data and not come up with another ambiguous excuse for Xbox?

adamsapple

Wayment,

"I see commentary that if you just build great games, everything would turn around. It's just not true that if we go off and build great games, all of a sudden you're going to see console share shift in some dramatic way." - Pill Dispenser

Well yeah, one game isn't gonna shift the share dramatically, but it should lead to a healthy amount of sales.

BlackTron

So finally that theory gets tested right? Next month, two months, three months? When can we look at sales data and not come up with another ambiguous excuse for Xbox?

Don't worry, if sales are ass Microsoft can slow production, withhold standalone consoles and push easy to buy bundles again. Then if sales continue to be ass, people can say it's because they can't make enough -again.

Alebrije

Xbox is doomed ( not gamepass just the console). Even Phil knows it, so the only chances is to get Activision and release a Series X Pro to somehow reset the generation.

Starfield wont move consoles the way a lot of people think, could be a great game but it seems wont be a Megaton.

Dude. There are Series X consoles on shelves everywhere I go. But, that's anecdotal.

So, do this. Go to Amazon. Can you buy a Series X or not?

If you can (you can), they are not currently supply constrained.

Xbox is doomed ( not gamepass just the console). Even Phil knows it, so the only chances is to get Activision and release a Series X Pro to somehow reset the generation.

Starfield wont move consoles the way a lot of people think, could be a great game but it seems wont be a Megaton.
I think we learned that Pro models will be niche. It definitely won't restart the generation.

They CAN turn things around. By making and releasing quality games.

No, Starfield being an 11/10 won't do it. Starfield is one game. It'd be a start, but you need to release several good AAA games every year. That will turn Xbox around, whether Phil believes that "narrative" or not.

Topher

Gold Member

Right, but the FH5 bundle only came out this year.

And it has never been invite only. You know this.

Fact of the matter is PS5 has been more readily available than XSX, but it is also a fact that anyone who wanted to buy an XSX has not had to look very hard since January. I'm more and more convinced that Phil is putting more hardware into Azure which ties into the topic of Phil Spencer conceding the console space.

Last edited:

NickFire

You know, if they launch an entirely new gen a year or two earlier than competitor, it would be another golden opportunity. Whether they’d stick the landing is less certain.

GamePass only makes sense if it's the only thing you play. Like, you spend the money, and every single game you play is on GamePass, and when it leaves GP you forget it ever existed, and you don't play any of the games too long. Because if, say, Flight Sim or Age of Empires or Forza or whatever becomes an obsession it makes more sense to just buy the game outright and cancel your sub and play that game.

It's locked in, in a way that other subscriptions are not, and I don't necessarily think that is a strength. When my subscription went full price I said "hell no", canceled it and bought the 2 or 3 games I really liked.

This is exactly what I just did! Bought the 4 or 5 games I care about on the recent Spring sale and canceled GP

BlackTron

You know, if they launch an entirely new gen a year or two earlier than competitor, it would be another golden opportunity. Whether they’d stick the landing is less certain.
The Sega strategy. That went well for them.

Yep, so MS can launch a system while a very successful PS is still rolling, while allowing their enemy to observe their entire hand while preparing the next gen PS that wipes the floor with a 2-year-old dated console. Then, MS can launch ANOTHER hardware variant to try and stay the most powerful.

It's a hopelessly losing battle, the only way out of this is games. If they have games they can screw up almost everything else. If you have no games, all the gimmicks, services, marketing ideas and timing attacks won't do shit.

Whether or not its "dog piling" IT IS NEEDED. It's long overdue and the only way any pressure will be put on Microsoft.

The games media are typically pathetic shills and its become the status quo that nobody expects them to take any company to task.
maybe. but i notice that ign isn't calling itself out or seeing itself as part of the problem for letting this bullshit go by the board for a decade. now that they've worked up the nerve to throw stones at phil, maybe they'll finally get around to looking in the mirror now & then, as well?...

yeah, right...

Shakka43

With how difficult and how long it's taking AAA games to be made these days it could easily backfire on them to put out their system first.

Cross gen releases are a big part of gaming now and by the time the big next gen only titles start to come out Sony could be releasing the PS6 with better components to outdo their system.

Top Bottom