• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to buy Nintendo: i honestly believe a good move for both companies

Topher

Gold Member
Nintendo X. Mario at 4K and RT.

The New Mario RPG

aezRw2B.jpg

....But tribalism :messenger_expressionless:

Cringe Reaction GIF

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Ask Ensemble how that big backing helped them.

I don't talk to the strawman, but since you apparently like to, why don't you ask Nintendo what happened to their Redwood city and studio in Toronto, and Sony what happened to PixelOpus, Manchester Studio, Japan Studios, Evolution studios, etc.?

Unknown?

I don't talk to the strawman, but since you apparently like to, why don't you ask Nintendo what happened to their Redwood city and studio in Toronto, and Sony what happened to PixelOpus, Manchester Studio, Japan Studios, Evolution studios, etc.?
They don't have the two trillion dollar excuse! Everyone acting like these companies won't be run into the ground like their other studios and will be free to fail and still be given money.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Valve's occasional pushes into platform-agnostic or Linux-based gaming is doing the world a favor.
People are forgetting that Valve is also in this discussion as well, and they don't have the shield of being located in another country.

Imagine the damage that could be done had MS buys Valve. SteamOS efforts shut down, paid online introduced to PC, windows exclusivity. PC gaming would basically die a terrible death, especially considering that the nearest competition is.... Epic games.

This is the far more concerning thing in this document and I'd rather anything but let that happen.

Last edited:

Crayon

People are forgetting that Valve is also in this discussion as well, and they don't have the shield of being located in another country.

Imagine the damage that could be done had MS buys Valve. SteamOS efforts shut down, paid online introduced to PC, windows exclusivity. PC gaming would basically die a terrible death

Steamos and Linux gaming developments would be continued by the community since they are open source. There would be less direction, and development with splinter, but that's what makes OSS so hard to kill. Even with Microsoft's best efforts they could never manage to do it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Steamos and Linux gaming developments would be continued by the community since they are open source. There would be less direction, and development with splinter, but that's what makes OSS so hard to kill. Even with Microsoft's best efforts they could never manage to do it.
Owning Valve means owning THE storefront to buy and sell PC games from. Even if those continue Steam as a platform would inevitably deteriorate, and no one will be selling games on GOG or bringing PC physical media back. We'd be all but fucked.

This company needs to be broken up. Or at the very least, forced out of the gaming space.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
at this point i'm convinced that you could sell the Xbox division to Sega of all companies and they'd do a better job of making it competitive than MS ever did.

Not even just current Sega but mid 90s overly dysfunctional Sega would do a better job.

Last edited:

Crayon

Owning Valve means owning THE storefront to buy and sell PC games from. Even if those continue Steam as a platform would inevitably deteriorate, and no one will be selling games on GOG or bringing PC physical media back. We'd be all but fucked.

This company needs to be broken up.

PC gaming would suck shit after they've had 4 or 5 years to run steam into the ground and elimate competitors. I'll still be able to play on linux among the smoldering ashes, though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'll still be able to play on linux
play what games? Everything's on steam... but they'd turn it into a subscription based service where everything in your library is tied to your subscription, & you lose your entire account if you don't pay the monthly dues on time.

You'd either have to contend with the underdeveloped and terrible Epic games (which even if it got good, wouldn't have the extensive back catalogue Steam has) or play like the 5 indie games that drop on GOG.

We cannot let this happen.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Silly. With that nonsense you’re still playing NES exclusively.Never need another machine since that’s all that matters to you. Weak sauce.
This choice would be easier if we were convincing Nintendo to do it. Not asking them to get bought up by one of the worst managed big tech companies just so it can happen.

Just buy a PC and use Yuzu, you noob.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Silly. With that nonsense you’re still playing NES exclusively.Never need another machine since that’s all that matters to you. Weak sauce.
Apparently, 4K is more important to you than the game. Cool.

So, why not just build a high-end rig? Or get a console that accommodates those conditions?

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Fuck that. Mario on UE5 would be ass.

I mean whatever Nintendo chooses to use, their own engine then? they'll still be the ones developing it. But don't be naive about the flexibility of the engine, it's just a tool, you can make pretty much any art style out of it, it's akin to complaining about DaVinci using a modern brush and unleaded paint :messenger_squinting_tongue:

DeVeAn

This choice would be easier if we were convincing Nintendo to do it. Not asking them to get bought up by one of the worst managed big tech companies just so it can happen.

Just buy a PC and use Yuzu, you noob.
What world are you living in? Nintendo land? The last machine to boast high fidelity from Nintendo was GameCube.

Then you gonna tell me how and where to play? Childish. Why people so offended when any suggestion of Nintendo being bought out? It’s a business why take it personal?

I look forward to the day MS give up on gaming, and sell their now-worthless IPs.

Halo could be made great again by literally any other company.

And I'm editing just to add: I have all the consoles, I am by no means a fanboy (but I adore Mario platformers, it's what got me into gaming and I'll always have a huge soft spot for them), but MS pulling this bullshit pisses me off. A monopoly serves no one. Look at wrestling, WWE were the only game in town for the first 18 years of this century, and it was also the weakest period for that industry in terms of money drawn and mainstream interest. A monopoly would be even worse for gaming.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Yes, because I mentioned what matters to me... So, apparently, 4K is more important to you than the game. Noted.

In that world, why not just build a high-end rig? Or get a console that accommodates those conditions?

Why not both? Nintendo's creativity with LESS limitations is a GOOD thing.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Side note: I don't know what the hell happened to our national backbone when it comes to comes to trust-busting. We used to kill monopolies with more zeal.

Now everyone sits and shrugs while Disney tries to buy every IP on the planet, and MS tries to takeover all possible developers. Screw that, these gigantic corporate monsters are ruining everything and bringing us nothing but stale, sanitized, focus-tested junk across all mediums now.

Solidus_T

You must not be a gamer if you don't see the benefit of bringing Mario running UE5 on a high end PC. At the end of the day, the platform it's running on shouldn't matter :messenger_winking_tongue:
You must not really understand much if you don't think there would be a massive exodus of Nintendo employees, leaving a shell of the former company in MS hands.
TOTK came out earlier this year and it's excellent - considered better than any MS game this year by critics. That's a start for games Nintendo fans are "still playing"

Last edited:

X-Wing

Why not both? Nintendo's creativity with LESS limitations is a GOOD thing.

I think you miss the point. Nintendo found its strength in lower spec hardware because it takes away the pressure of delivering high graphic quality games. They can focus on mechanics and fun instead. Higher end hardware would mean higher expectations and a lot more resources spent on graphics, that wouldn't be located to what really matters.

DeVeAn

Yes. You want 4k Nintendo games, go buy a PC. Don't go asking Nintendo to sell out to fucking Microsoft because you aren't approving of their strategy.
I’m not asking. There is a document that shows Phil wants Nintendo. IMO I’m good with it if it were to happen.

I don’t want or need a PC. Go buy yourself the ability to accept an opinion.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’m not asking. There is a document that shows Phil wants Nintendo. IMO I’m good with it if it were to happen.

I don’t want or need a PC. Go buy yourself the ability to accept an opinion.
You were the one who said you wanted 4k 120hz Unreal Engine 5 Mario, PC offers that. That is a need/want you have that PC fufills. Go buy one.

Nintendo under Microsoft or even Sony would lose some of the charm that they have, we both know this. Asking for a buyout to make your 4k 120hz graphic whore dreams come true is impractical, harmful to the industry, and stupid.

Last edited:

Crayon

play what games? Everything's on steam... but they'd turn it into a subscription based service where everything in your library is tied to your subscription, & you lose your entire account if you don't pay the monthly dues on time.

You'd either have to contend with the underdeveloped and terrible Epic games (which even if it got good, wouldn't have the extensive back catalogue Steam has) or play like the 5 indie games that drop on GOG.

We cannot let this happen.

I don't see them being able to reasonably do anything to steam to stop Linux from playing the games at this point. They could nix proton integration but that only hurts accessibility by making an extra step to install lutris and the like. We're like noble cockroaches. I spent a long time worrying about ms stomping out Linux from the secure boot antics to the Ubuntu user land on windows. They're flat out incompetent, though. I don't worry as much these days.

edit: I should mention ms is specifically incompetant in comparison to the most and best developers in the known universe working on open source.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Because in this thread it’s about Phil wanting Nintendo.
Let that sink in for just one second. Phil should want to grow his own brand with its own resources over looking to just swallow Nintendo up because he has bags of money at his disposal and his brand is getting its ass schooled by other brands that know what they're doing! Anyone who truly gives a shit about this industry would be able to see the issue here.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Let that sink in for just one second. Phil should want to grow his own brand with its own resources over looking to just swallow Nintendo up because he has bags of money at his disposal and his brand is getting its ass schooled by other brands that know what they're doing! Anyone who truly gives a shit about this industry would be able to see the issue here.
If I can buy one high end console and play Nintendo made games I’m for it. I’m not responsible for the industry standards and practices. These companies aren’t my homies.

Top Bottom