• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer wants to buy Nintendo: i honestly believe a good move for both companies

DeVeAn

You were the one who said you wanted 4k 120hz Unreal Engine 5 Mario, PC offers that. That is a need/want you have that PC fufills. Go buy one.

Nintendo under Microsoft or even Sony would lose some of the charm that they have, we both know this. Asking for a buyout to make your 4k 120hz graphic whore dreams come true is impractical, harmful to the industry, and stupid.
You’re a Goomba that has a personal interest in Nintendo as if it was your family member. Let it go.

I said I would like Mario in 4K 120hz (Series X) it’s relevant to the topic since the head of Xbox said he wants Nintendo.

Tams

People are forgetting that Valve is also in this discussion as well, and they don't have the shield of being located in another country.

Imagine the damage that could be done had MS buys Valve. SteamOS efforts shut down, paid online introduced to PC, windows exclusivity. PC gaming would basically die a terrible death, especially considering that the nearest competition is.... Epic games.

This is the far more concerning thing in this document and I'd rather anything but let that happen.

Can't do a hostile takeover of a private company.

Maybe when Gabe croaks, his family might sell out. But we don't know as they are very private.

Year joined 2014, post count 104.....

funeral im back GIF

💀💀💀💀

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You’re a Goomba that has a personal interest in Nintendo as if it was your family member. Let it go.

I said I would like Mario in 4K 120hz (Series X) it’s relevant to the topic since the head of Xbox said he wants Nintendo.
I don't care about Nintendo specifically and i'm not no Goomba, i care about the health of the industry and i'd rather not some big bad out of touch corporation who couldn't recognize a good game if it was thrown at them try and buy them up. Especially considering just how fucking easy it is to play TOTK at 4k, the answer is staring you right in the face

No MS buyout required.

Last edited:

Esca

I hope we get a good movie out of all this bullshit. At least we know what the P stands for in Lies of P.

I dude should have been canned looooong instead of being promoted

How can anyone look at Microsoft's track record with the companies they bought and think this is anything even resembling a good idea?

Starfield and the Forza games are Microsoft's only releases in the past few years that went over well, and there's still a handful of games like The Elder Scrolls VI, Fable, Indiana Jones, and the Perfect Dark reboot that exist pretty much only in theory. Why would you want the people who made Halo, their golden goose, less popular than ever to be able to tell Nintendo what to do?

Hey Phil, if you're out there, maybe you could use all that money to actually make games, and not just buy game studios and hope the problem fixes itself. But because Microsoft makes "fuck you" money off of Windows, the Office suite, and all sorts of other stuff, Phil's able to burn money on the Xbox brand despite it always coming in last place.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But because Microsoft makes "fuck you" money off of Windows, the Office suite, and all sorts of other stuff, Phil's able to burn money on the Xbox brand despite it always coming in last place.
i've come to realize this is the root of the problem. Xbox will never become good because it's Microsoft they're under. They have all the money in the world to blunder and still survive.

if broken up and put on their own, Phil would be immediately fired and Xbox would either straighten up their act or die a slow and painful death

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
If I can buy one high end console and play Nintendo made games I’m for it. I’m not responsible for the industry standards and practices. These companies aren’t my homies.
Then hope Nintendo makes just that. They don't have to be your homies (not sure what relevance that has to anything, really). The industry is what matters, not if Phil Spencer is someone's best friend.

Last edited:
i've come to realize this is the root of the problem. Xbox will never become good because it's Microsoft they're under. They have all the money in the world to blunder and still survive.

if broken up and put on their own, Phil would be immediately fired and Xbox would either straighten up their act or die a slow and painful death
From what I understand, Phil is in charge of the Xbox brand because no one else wants to manage Xbox. The Series consoles are in last place in the console race and Game Pass subscriptions are drying up.

But what you said makes a lot of sense. It reminds of the phrase "art through adversity". Because there's basically no possibility of Microsoft going bankrupt short of fire raining from the sky, Xbox is allowed to basically whatever and not have to care about the consequences of failure.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
From what I understand, Phil is in charge of the Xbox brand because no one else wants to manage Xbox. The Series consoles are in last place in the console race and Game Pass subscriptions are drying up.

But what you said makes a lot of sense. It reminds of the phrase "art through adversity". Because there's basically no possibility of Microsoft going bankrupt short of fire raining from the sky, Xbox is allowed to basically whatever and not have to care about the consequences of failure.
The 2 things Sony and Nintendo have in common is that they're not in the top 5 richest companies in the world. Nintendo lives and dies by gaming and for Sony it makes up a major part of their revenue. That's why they try so hard. That's why they're consistently making the most popular and critically acclaimed games. If they don't, they die. PS3 and Wii U were catatstrophic events for them. For MS, Xbone was a blip on their radar. That's why Sony and Nintendo rebounded and MS is content being last place

I'd be 100% confident that if Sony and Nintendo had similar safety nets they'd be just as terrible. Money simply corrupts.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You can even see this with Valve: After Steam got hyper popular they started heavily slowing down their gamedev because they've had no reason to work hard and get gamers' attention when every transaction on the platform and the CSGO gambling market basically keeps them afloat. Only difference is that Valve is making up for the lack of games with some of the best gaming hardware of the past 20 years.

That being said they still ultimately abandoned their software roots the moment they started making big bucks. Now imagine if they were that same 1996 startup in 2023. HL3 and Portal 3 would have been out by now.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Geez, anyone getting their panties in a twist because of what I’d like or want need to suck on a lemon. I can’t believe the willingness to die on the sword for a what if scenario. Keep “your” Nintendo if it makes you happy.

Kilau

Its not realistic though, Japanese law protects Nintendo. Japan would have to approve any purchase beyond 10% of the value of the company by a foreign entity. So soon as MS’s puppet reaches that point Japan would have to approve any further purchase.
This isnt me being a armchair lawyer either, you can easily lookup the list of protected companies in Japan.
So even if they force Nintendo into an unsustainable position, they still wouldn’t be able to purchase them.
The law changed from 10% to 1% but seeing as Saudi Arabia raised their stake in Nintendo to just under 9% since then I think it’s safe to say the law is now directly aimed at China.

Gojiira

The law changed from 10% to 1% but seeing as Saudi Arabia raised their stake in Nintendo to just under 9% since then I think it’s safe to say the law is now directly aimed at China.
The 10% was the cutoff point for all foreign investors, perhaps its just the upper limit allowed and yes it was intended to stop Chinese companies from buying Japanese companies but it doesnt alter the fact that Nintendo is protected.

GrouchyGamer

Neo Member
LMMFAO, sorry but this guy...

He just has way too easy access to way too much money. Instead of using it to improve his platform his winning idea is to buy out better performing brands.

Maybe what Xbox needs is new management.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Japan wouldn’t let it happen and it would likely require at least closing or selling off Xbox to clear anywhere else.

Nintendo hardware with their iconic games and all the MS stuff they’ve bought would be pretty crazy though. That’s what MS wanted to do in the first place.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It would be good for consumers tbh.

Nintendo's ecosystem is probably the biggest rip off out of all 3. Overpriced weak hardware. Paying full price for ports of 20 year old games...many of which could be considered a mobile game at this point. Price drops are a rarity compared to other platforms. etc etc

Crayon

It would be good for consumers tbh.

Nintendo's ecosystem is probably the biggest rip off out of all 3. Overpriced weak hardware. Paying full price for ports of 20 year old games...many of which could be considered a mobile game at this point. Price drops are a rarity compared to other platforms. etc etc

You know there is no forsight here. Any thoughts about what would happen in... y'know... the future? The big picture?

Last edited:

Three

Japan wouldn’t let it happen and it would likely require at least closing or selling off Xbox to clear anywhere else.

Nintendo hardware with their iconic games and all the MS stuff they’ve bought would be pretty crazy though. That’s what MS wanted to do in the first place.
The way they treated Banjo, Conker and Rare's iconic games on xbox I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect anything good from it.

GHound

That's a terrible fucking thing to imagine and I don't even play Nintendo games anymore. Man the next thing that leaks is going to be that Phil is the antichrist and kicks puppies or some shit.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
How can anyone look at Microsoft's track record with the companies they bought and think this is anything even resembling a good idea?

Starfield and the Forza games are Microsoft's only releases in the past few years that went over well, and there's still a handful of games like The Elder Scrolls VI, Fable, Indiana Jones, and the Perfect Dark reboot that exist pretty much only in theory. Why would you want the people who made Halo, their golden goose, less popular than ever to be able to tell Nintendo what to do?

Hey Phil, if you're out there, maybe you could use all that money to actually make games, and not just buy game studios and hope the problem fixes itself. But because Microsoft makes "fuck you" money off of Windows, the Office suite, and all sorts of other stuff, Phil's able to burn money on the Xbox brand despite it always coming in last place.
Psychonauts was amazing

MagnesD3

If people dont get why this would be horrible for the consumer then they really havent been paying attention to how Microsoft has been operating.

Remember the death of Rare, Remember RROD, Remember the Xbox One being left for dead, Remember DRM, Remember TV, Remember Milo, Remember Game Pass subscription based control, Remember the entire Activision Buyout ordeal, Remember great games wont make Xbox #1 even though in the past they were #1 for a time for this reason, Remember when they let Halo thier Mario franchise just whither away and die.

I remember, theres a reason they are last and have been for years, buying your way out of it isnt the answer.

Last edited:

BlackTron

If people dont get why this would be horrible for the consumer then they really havent been paying attention to how Microsoft has been operating.

Remember the death of Rare, Remember RROD, Remember the Xbox One being left for dead, Remember DRM, Remember TV, Remember Milo, Remember Game Pass subscription based control, Remember the entire Activision Buyout ordeal, Remember great games wont make Xbox #1 even though in the past they were #1 for a time for this reason, Remember when they let Halo thier Mario franchise just whither away and die. I remember, theres a reason they are last and have been for years, buying your way out of it isnt the answer.
People just want the games that Nintendo is already putting out, on Xbox so they have to buy one less system.

With no thought towards what creates the environment for Nintendo to put games out that they want to play that bad.

It's bad for the customer because the customer wants kick ass Nintendo games, not the death of their childhood they will witness if this happened

Top Bottom