• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - what’s he actually done?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You guys lack patience.

Screenshot_2023-02-17_224935.png

Banjo64

cumsessed
The 360 days were hands down my best years gaming and I’ve supported the Xbox brand since but clearly it’s time to move on.

The first half of the 360 was literally lightning in a bottle. Halo 3 & Reach, Gears of War 1 to 3 and Modern Warfare 1 and 2 with every one on the mic for the first time ever. Online console gaming exploding in to the stratosphere and online communication coming along with it. Everyone finding their feet together, making friends, fucking each others mums, talking shit to other nationalities.

If you were a teen during all of this, that’s what you probably yearn for now, but it’s never coming back.

Edmund

He’s also weaponized console wars and let the idiot douchebags like Colt, Jez, Gaz, Dealer, etc. do all the dirty work for him while he stays clean because they’d do anything for him….

It’s also quite impressive.
At the same time, he says console wars is one of the worst things in the gaming industry. This guy is the master of doublespeak, misdirection and PR. Really. He needs to be studied in college. And I don't mean this is a negative way. I'm really in awe of his abilities. He is the god of PR and an extremely smart man.

I don't like him but that doesn't mean I cannot respect him. I really do.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At the same time, he says console wars is one of the worst things in the gaming industry. This guy is the master of doublespeak, misdirection and PR. Really. He needs to be studied in college. And I don't mean this is a negative way. I'm really in awe of his abilities.

Gaming's politician. Gaslight king.

FrankWza

Gamepass is actually profitable...literally nobody can argue this now after the most recent earnings call. Even though I doubted it was...1 billion dollars...there's no shot they spent that kinda money putting games on Gamepass.
It has been argued by many and will continue to be because those numbers are combined with gold subs. There's an easy way to end the speculation and that is to Release numbers in detail.
I dunno if you realize this, but Xbox dying would be THE WORST thing for the gaming industry right now. Sony is already brazen in their anti-consumer practices. What do you think will happen if they have zero competition
Charging for goods and services is not anti consumer.
from a consumer's perspective, his spending has saved me a fuck ton of money.
This doesn't make them pro consumer. You're just playing a curated list at a price you like. I've seen gamepass being mentioned in most of the phil-defense posts. I don't get it. Gaming is cheap enough. Especially console gaming. Choice with how you spend your time and time in general are much more valuable

I'm assuming all these gamers feeling blessed for cheap gamepass have never partaken in a steam sale before. Gamepass isn't even that cheap - $15/month for vintage games and garbage new ones you'd never buy anyways? You can get quality old games for $5/10. Physical releases can get really cheap sometimes too. I think I got Returnal for $5 in a random best buy sale? Black friday too. Gamepass if anything made new game releases seem like less of an "event". Since I've been getting into PC gaming it is indeed cool to have all those games available but so many I already have on steam from years ago - All those fallout games that are "free on gamepass" I think I cumulatively spent $10 total for all of them on steam. New Vegas can be had for less than $3 at times.

When my $1 deal runs out, definitely not renewing

Gambit2483

I'm assuming all these gamers feeling blessed for cheap gamepass have never partaken in a steam sale before. Gamepass isn't even that cheap - $15/month for vintage games and garbage new ones you'd never buy anyways? You can get quality old games for $5/10. Physical releases can get really cheap sometimes too. I think I got Returnal for $5 in a random best buy sale? Black friday too. Gamepass if anything made new game releases seem like less of an "event". Since I've been getting into PC gaming it is indeed cool to have all those games available but so many I already have on steam from years ago - All those fallout games that are "free on gamepass" I think I cumulatively spent $10 total for all of them on steam. New Vegas can be had for less than $3 at times.

When my $1 deal runs out, definitely not renewing
Other than HiFi Rush, Flight Simulator, and Forza Horizon 5 I haven't felt like I've truly gotten my money's worth with Gamepass. I told myself I'd give it a full year to prove itself and unless Starfield is launching in June I'll most likely be unsubscribing from thee service also.

Aenima

Phil Spencer was the most awarded personality in the industry in 2022​

Well deserved
https://www.levelup.com/en/news/718...t-awarded-personality-in-the-industry-in-2022

• Bloomberg 50

• Spencer was part of Bloomberg 50, which recognizes people who defined global business in 2022 in business, politics, science and technology, finance and entertainment. Why? Well he just negotiated the biggest deal in company and video game history with the $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard.
Imagine getting an award for spending ur dads money on something u didnt got in the end.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Probably a lot of things, mainly into lies and promises, but not enough to make me buy a XSX, that's for sure.
Sorry Phil, I'm not your buddy.

ReBurn

Gold Member

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don't you mean after disclosing hardware sales are falling, being denied COD, and a negatively reviewed game in the span of a week?
:messenger_grinning:

Yeah, you get the idea, making a poll after that is probably not gonna be an accurate representation, we agree on that.
strength.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, yes, you can simplify all of it to just "Spend a lot of money," but it's how that money is being spent and what decisions are made that matter.

The fact of the matter is that we're now two generations away from the Xbox 360, and Xbox still lacks a clear identity of what it is supposed to be. It used to be the system to play "Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable" on, and now, two generations further and three years into their latest console, it's just the Halo and Forza box.

You know why you're buying a PlayStation. You're buying it for Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo. PlayStation has a very clear identity, and within just two years after the console's release, all of its staple franchises are on the system with a new installment. Sony is very good at acquiring studios, helping them grow, and assisting them in producing tentpole franchises in a way that Microsoft is not, and that hasn't changed under Phil Spencer.

The only first party game that the Xbox Series X launched with was a port of a PC title with Gears of War Tactics.

Halo's live service model bombed. Fable and Gears are nowhere to be seen. Opportunities like Redfall are squandered to rush the game out the door unfinished for seemingly no good reason. It's been delay after delay for many games. Developers mention Playstation development is easier and that Series S is challenging to develop for. At what point are we going to conclude that this ship is being misdirected?

Yes, it's very impressive that you can throw your wallet onto Bethesda's or Activision's desk to acquire one of the most successful publishers in the industry. Anyone could have done that. Well, maybe not AB, because that seems like it might not happen after all.
This is the problem with this logic. Why does identity have to be synonymous with exclusive franchises? Yes that's how it's been since the dawn of gaming pretty much, but that doesn't have to be the cardinal rule. Microsoft has actually made it's identity clear. Play anywhere is their motto and it has been since just before Xbox Series consoles have released. They've largely succeeded in that motto, taking very few exclusives for themselves where they absolutely had the ability to. Most people say this hurts the Xbox brand, but that is only if you subscribe to the idea that exclusives are so important. I personally don't feel that way. I feel like the more people get to play a certain game, the better. It's why I cheered Xbox and Playstation's PC releases. It's why I wish Nintendo would follow suit. Yea it would mean me selling off consoles I currently own or whatever, but that's just my situation. What about people who can't afford a beefy PC or a second console. Should they be punished for their choice? Made to feel left out of game like God of War or Starfield? No. In a perfect world, I think all exclusives should be, at the most, timed.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Between Halo winning GOTY in 2021 and Phil winning this in 2022, Im honestly preplexed at why people still call gaf pro-Sony. It's not even 50-50 anymore.
Sony fans are the louder, more obnoxious and more trolling and irrational fans, from where I'm sitting. That would give the perception that Gaf is Sony-ville, Population: Er'body.

Xbox fans can get to this point. Honestly, I think in the times of Pro-consumer Xbox....Starfield exclusivity rumors, "World's most powerful console", teraflop debates and the acquisition marathon, the Xbox fans could give Sony fans a run for their money.

There are fans on both sides who can have a decent debate, and they are the real diamonds of GAF, but I see the most low brow, neanderthal-esque comments coming from Sony's camp, maybe not exclusively, but predominantly. I think it could also be a result of just sheer number of perceived victories. The more victories one camp gets, the more opportunities they have to troll. Just an observation. I quoted some in the first post in this very thread.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
LOL, what the fuck are you talking about?
Ni no Kuni
Guilty Gear Strive
Final Fantasy 7-8-9-10-12-13-15 to gamepass
Persona 5
Dude I'm not gonna list everything. If you're too lazy to look it up, I'm not gonna indulge this dumb shit.

This is the type of low brow neanderthal-esque crap I'm talking about up there ^^^^^^

I'll keep editing this post as I think of more.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Ni no Kuni
Guilty Gear Strive
Final Fantasy 7-8-9-10-12-13-15 to gamepass
Dude I'm not gonna list everything. If you're too lazy to look it up, I'm not gonna indulge this dumb shit.

This is the type of low brow neanderthal-esque crap I'm talking about up there ^^^^^^

He was able to bring some popular japanese franchises to America.
You cannot be this stupid.

tr1p1ex

MSFT has lots of smart people but don't think they are a bastion of creativity and design types.

And MSFT culture has always been one of dominating through force sort to speak more than let's win them over with great products and service.

And yet people are worried about Call of duty being exclusive to Xbox have u played the last few years the games are shit and Warzone 2 is still fucked but Xbox's main problem is those fans on twitter they act like Xbox is killing it and exciting, Xbox at the moment is as exciting as a Grandma naked and her tits are getting saggier it's disgusting sort it out Phil u turd

Jinzo Prime

Microsoft needs to beg Gavin Raeburn to come back and head up XGS or the whole damn games division. Can't believe they let the founder of Playground games walk out the door without a "blank cheque" offer. Look at these credits!

They need talent not talking heads. Go give Dan Houser a couple million and bring him in while your at it!

FrankWza

I mean that just proves that the claim about ’SonyGAF’ is BS

or it’s an indictment of how our culture is more about the cult of personality than anything else (same issue in so many other areas at this point as well)
Also prefer to be a publicly visible poll because there's a ton of shadow accounts. Like the ones that all of a sudden become active after being created in 2020.

DrFigs

I mean that just proves that the claim about ’SonyGAF’ is BS

or it’s an indictment of how our culture is more about the cult of personality than anything else (same issue in so many other areas at this point as well)
I mean I really don't like Jim Ryan. It used to be close as for who's worse. But I guess the recent sales numbers speak for themselves.

Kerotan

He spent billions on a multi year PR campaign so gaming sites would post articles about him and Xbox 24/7 to push their narrative and give the impression they're doing better then they are.

Other than HiFi Rush, Flight Simulator, and Forza Horizon 5 I haven't felt like I've truly gotten my money's worth with Gamepass. I told myself I'd give it a full year to prove itself and unless Starfield is launching in June I'll most likely be unsubscribing from thee service also.
i've basically just finished doing just this. i've enjoyed my time on game pass (my series s is the first xbox i've ever owned, so i've checked out all the exclusives i'd never played), but now that i've caught up on everthing i've missed? i'm dropping it until something like starfield gets released, & then immediately dropping it once i finish with the game. so, yeah - $15 per major releases, & that's it. not quite the model that phil envisioned, but it's my model...

Phil gave us gamepass, and it’s great.

They put out two consoles for different audiences.

They normalized day one support for PC and console of their major releases.

He did buy these studios but game development right now is a 5+ year cycle so the fruits to that labor haven’t been seen because the acquisitions are recentx

All that said if some of these acquisitions don’t yield banger games he needs to go and many others.
the 2 console thing is a nightmare

TLZ

Banned
I have been asked a few times about Starfield especially after this disaster of a launch so I asked if there was positive news recently on Starfield with how todays launch went and I will share here the text I got back

Spider Man Lol GIF

This very gif
That's sad man.

Top Bottom