• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III"We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That would be likely true under the traditional sales model. GamePass throws that out the window.

No it doesn't! I guess yall will see in 5 years. Subscription services don't mean revenue doesn't matter. People can jump on GP for 3 months and play 5 Xbox exclusive games and then nothing else for the year. That's only about $50 a year. That's NOT good!

No it doesn't! I guess yall will see in 5 years. Subscription services don't mean revenue doesn't matter. People can jump on GP for 3 months and play 5 Xbox exclusive games and then nothing else for the year. That's only about $50 a year. That's NOT good!
Would those people have purchased the game? If not, then that's $50 Microsoft would never have earned otherwise.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
qzUBvKf.jpg

reinking

Gold Member
Makes no difference to me or any consumer whatsoever.
Jimmy Fallon Whatever GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Most consumers are not going to care that XB has 13 franchises that have made over a billion dollars in their lifetime. They are only going to care about what is coming next from those franchises. Some of which have seen better days. This is simply a humble brag (which I assume was meant to be internal) and now something for fanboys to gloat over.

Let me be clear in my true feelings. Acquiring a company takes a lot of hard work, especially from those names that we will never hear about. MS has every right to be proud of pulling off this Acquisition. It is the fanboys patting themselves on the back that I find humorous.

I agree these corporate emails can be cringeworthy but Phil’s mail is certainly not unusual. My company went through a merger recently and we get similar shit all the time. You read them in like 30 seconds and move on to the next thing. I doubt any Xbox/ABK/MS employees are giving this email even 10% of the thought GAF is.

Most consumers are not going to care that XB has 13 franchises that have made over a billion dollars in their lifetime. They are only going to care about what is coming next from those franchises. Some of which have seen better days. This is simply a humble brag (which I assume was meant to be internal) and now something for fanboys to gloat over.

Let me be clear in my true feelings. Acquiring a company takes a lot of hard work, especially from those names that we will never hear about. MS has every right to be proud of pulling off this Acquisition. It is the fanboys patting themselves on the back that I find humorous.
90% of this thread is comprised of people being personally offended that Phil wrote an email meant for employees to see. I have yet to see anyone gloating.

mckmas8808

LOL, there's absolutely no way you can say that with any certainty.

We have many members on GAF state that they don't have to buy certain games, since it's on GamePass. You see people saying that all the time on Twitter too. One of the main selling points of the service is that you don't need to buy 1st party games anymore.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
We have many members on GAF state that they don't have to buy certain games, since it's on GamePass. You see people saying that all the time on Twitter too. One of the main selling points of the service is that you don't need to buy 1st party games anymore.
Your case was $50 over the course of a year. I think it's likely the person that does that to play 5 different games wouldn't even buy a single one of them at full price anyway. People hoping for games to come to Game Pass are locked in probably for the long haul, and that's the customer Microsoft wants.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Some people keep falling up. I wouldn't be surprised if Phil Spencer has the Death-note or the Sharingan to blackmail and hypnotize his way up to the top of Microsoft.
You do realize that people pay monthly to play games on gamepass? That's just one way they make money. The more players stay "engaged" the more likely they are to either purchase a game (with GP discount) purchase DLC, etc? If gamepass is boasting the rumored 41 million subscribers......that's a lot of engagement, making a shit load of stacks.

"Hypnotize his way to the top"...jesus. smh
That last part DID NOT land by the way.

yurinka

Phillip W. Spencer III"We have thirteen $1B+ franchises in our portfolio and we just set new records for engagement in Game Pass."​

Unless he's counting King, in addition to CoD, is there any other MS IP that generated over a billion with their most recent game? Sounds like at least 10 of these 13 IPs maybe generated $1B+ many years ago with previous games but now are a shadow of their past, like the most recent Halo, Fallout or Elder Scrolls etc. compared to the greatest hits of their IPs.

Or well, maybe he means $1B+ counting all the games of the IP combined.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Unless he's counting King, in addition to CoD, is there any other MS IP that generated over a billion with their most recent game? Sounds like at least 10 of these 13 IPs maybe generated $1B+ many years ago with previous games but now are a shadow of their past, like the most recent Halo, Fallout or Elder Scrolls etc. compared to the greatest hits of their IPs.

Or well, maybe he means $1B+ counting all the games of the IP combined.
Franchise includes all games for the IP combined. So yes, that's what he means. He's not talking about individual entries, he's talking about the IP as a whole.

yurinka

Franchise includes all games for the IP combined. So yes, that's what he means. He's not talking about individual entries, he's talking about the IP as a whole.
Well, in that case I think he's right, I can see there over a dozen IPs -almost all of them acquired in the recent years, being the first one Minecraft- .

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This thread's a salt mine from the usual suspects. First party lineup looking bare again? The one console conundrum is biting them hard!

Tarkus

I love both consoles, but play most games on Xbox series X because I prefer the controllers. I’m happy that I’m probably going to get some exclusive items from some of my favorite series in the coming years. Still a Souls fanboy though…

Last edited:

Ansphn

You do realize that people pay monthly to play games on gamepass? That's just one way they make money. The more players stay "engaged" the more likely they are to either purchase a game (with GP discount) purchase DLC, etc? If gamepass is boasting the rumored 41 million subscribers......that's a lot of engagement, making a shit load of stacks.

"Hypnotize his way to the top"...jesus. smh
That last part DID NOT land by the way.
I said hypnotize because Sharingan. I thought that's what it does?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I mean honestly you have had the Xbox out for 3 years and there has t been one dedicated big system seller. Halo flopped, forza a flopped, new ip’s not hitting. Redfall failed they have ip’s just going to take next gen to showcase but once they do get them going they going to be dominating console imho.. I think they needed to make this move 2 years ago.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Your case was $50 over the course of a year. I think it's likely the person that does that to play 5 different games wouldn't even buy a single one of them at full price anyway. People hoping for games to come to Game Pass are locked in probably for the long haul, and that's the customer Microsoft wants.
True. But they will be losing out in other ways when it comes to stickiness. Sony and Nintendo both have maximum stickiness.

Top Bottom