• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical vs Digital on consoles. Which do you prefer and why

WHAT

• I buy what's cheaper

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I try to buy Physical games only

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • I try to buy digial games only

Votes: 156 43.5%
  • I don't buy games and use sub services

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Digital. But somehow I've got a PS5 with disc. And with the current prices it's nice to be able to buy second hand physical games.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm sure 60% or more of these physical warriors like collecting and displaying their games. With that said I fully understand their motivation for staying physical.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I like options but prefer digital. Would now only buy physical if it was very cheap vs digital.

Same here.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Hurahn7

Banned
Digital. Been that way for a while now. When I was in the Army, moving all that shit from base to base was annoying. Now that I have house I like the streamlined look. I prefer not to look like some of these youtubers with all the shit and figurines in the background. My days of physical are done.....except for maybe Switch. Nintendo is weird.

Last edited:
I prefer digital simply for the convenience (also, I have terrible OCD, so the less I touch, the better for me), though I do buy physical for certain situations (i.e. for a particular series I like such as Metroid or for more niche games).

Leonidas

I got PS5 Digital and prefer that over the disc because it looks better and was $100 cheaper.

I've had PS5 for a year and still haven't bought a game. I've been playing only my PS4 library till I got PS+ Extra last month for $60.

PS+ Extra will provide more than enough games for my needs as long their selection remains as good or better than it has been in the past couple of months.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer digital but thus far for the current generation, I have 11 digital game purchases and 16 physical game purchases. I will buy games physically if I believe that they will be a one and done with no post launch content, expansions and whatnot so I can trade them in once I complete the game. If games were $40 digitally day one, I would go 100% all digital. Cost is the main reason why I don't go all digital. Just don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. I'm also not a collector and don't care about ownership so all the stuff related to either of these two aspects doesn't mean anything for me.

There is an option I do prefer more than digital and that's subscription services because as long as im not required to sign up for a long term contract and can use them as a monthly rental for a game that I want to play, I would do this above all. I love Game Pass and the more Microsoft acquire the better it is for me because I know that I will get all their games day one on Game Pass and barring a licensing issue, the game will never leave the service so for a $10 monthly rental, I can play the game to completion and then cancel the subscription and just wait for the next day one game that I want to play. I'm hyped for Ubisoft+ which they've said twice now that it will include their games day one so for a $15 monthly rental, I'll be able to play Avatar, AC Mirage, etc. instead of buying them and since they're Ubi's games, they won't leave the service.

Cyberpunkd

I got a DE PS5, so….

I hate boxes lying around, most of the time they are not pretty enough (alternatively you will spend small fortune hunting steelbooks).

supernova8

Banned
I'm a diehard physical movie collector. Why? Because it's still the best quality you can get, comes with special features, lossless audio and it actually plays from the disc.

With games though, I'm fully digital. Why? They serve no purpose other than to shelf collect. Since PS4/Xbox, buying physical has been pretty worthless. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just an installation/delivery system/license key and even then, you usually have to download patches since it's an older build. The game doesn't play off the disc. It's just something to sit on a shelf or use as a key when you want to play the game. As much as it pains me, there's just zero point to physical games now unless you just like to collect things.

Now older systems, that's a different story. NES, SNES, TG16, PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, etc. You CAN play those games off cart/disc and many of those games are best played with original hardware. Personally, I prefer flash carts when all possible but I can totally see why someone would want to play the originals for those systems. PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X? Basically pointless.
The whole point of physical games (versus digital) is the ability to resell on eBay etc. Sure there's the collector element to it but personally I never own that many at a time.

I know I won't play them if have too many, so I only ever own three Switch games at any one time. Maybe Switch is unique in that Nintendo first party games tend to hold their value really well (because Nintendo rarely drops the price), so much so that you can buy, say, BOTW and sell it a year later for almost the same price. In effect, you get to "rent" the game long-term for whatever the difference is. Maybe like $10. Pretty good deal to me.

That said, if a game is around $10 or less brand new then I'll just get it digital because at that price point you're not really saving a whole lot and given that shipping costs are fixed (at least to buy the actual packaging), it just isn't worth it. That's why I go on spending sprees during Steam sales. Spend like $60 and get a huge bunch of games.

Last edited:
I stick with physical games 90% of the time. I still have just about all my games going back to the NES days. I have always enjoyed having a literal "library" that I can pull from anytime to play something whenever the mood strikes and always thought it would be great to show/pass on to my future (at that time) child. Kind of like having old comics, records, whatever it may be. Even back in the early 2000s I was a big fan of playing my older stuff at the time, I still would regularly play my Genesis and such favorites. That hasn't changed today and as far as PC Gaming is concerned, I rarely step foot out of my 90s and 2000s zone of interest, but it does happen (for example, right now I'm playing Pillars of Eternity and love it, but on any random day I'd much rather play Diablo or Diablo II than mess with the newer junk they've put out). I'm just as excited to get a new Saturn or Ps2 game as I would be something for Ps5.

Physical allows me access to what I own any time I want to access it. I will buy digital every blue moon, sometimes if it's really cheap just to see if I'd like to acquire the physical version. I'm sad that PC gaming went digital so long ago, because the PC physical market was amazing in regard to the materials you received with the game often enough in the late 90s. Consequently, I don't PC game a lot, though I do occasionally buy digital games for dirt cheap on Steam. I would never, ever, buy a full price digital game on release. I would wait for the 90% off before I take the plunge, whereas I buy full price physical releases often enough whenever they strike my interest.

When gaming goes all digital I'll be playing and buying a lot less games and sticking mostly to playing and building my back catalogue.

the_master

I would like to buy more physical than I do.
And I’d like that physical would also unlock the digital version in the last console you played it (even if you need to be online for that, to verify that only one person is playing the digital one.

I only collect Switch physical games because I don't trust Nintendo.
Same, on my Switch I'm 100% physical. Don't trust Nintendo after they shutdown the Wii U and 3DS digital stores, and of course the Virtual Console. I just have heavy trust issues with their very poor support for digital libraries and even if some of the games on eShop are way cheaper and with better availability (for the time being) I'll stick to games on cart.

Last edited:

yurinka

I typically prefered physical because games look good in the shelves and also can be sold in 2nd hand. Also, gives me more security regarding old platforms switching off their servers.

But in recent times moved more to digital because I'm lazy regarding having to swap disks, and also saves me having to deal with shipments or shelve space and also my PS4 had that issue where randomly ejected disks that I didn't know how to fix for good without sending it somewhere.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Despite the many cons associated with digital, I've been all digital since PS4/Vita and haven't looked back. The only physical games I still buy are used ones for PS1/2/3 that never had (or in the case of PS3, no longer have) digital versions.

th4tguy

I have so many physical games and no space. I’ve been mostly digital since the ps4. It’s really nice having all my games so easily accessible and not having to dig them out of boxes in my closet.
Also in the states there aren’t day one sales on games. Generally games are full price for at least the first few months.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I almost exclusively buy physical, because:
  • It's cheaper. At least here in Sweden where prices on the PS Store are absolutely insane. A physical copy of a new AAA game is always 100-200 SEK (10-20€) cheaper.
  • I can lend the game out, sell it, etc. It's not locked to my account.
  • I like having a physical collection.
The only advantage of digital is the convenience, and I'm not quite that fucking lazy lol.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I am trying to get 100% games physical on ps4/5 and as I did on 360.
But recently I have a lot of doubts around this topic. Let me explain my view.

My physical positives:
-Always cheaper at launch. 70$ games are 55-60$ usually at local retailers and chains
-Physical box to display on your shelf
-Rare nowadays but you get goodies like maps, postcards and so on. With Elden Ring I got plenty of stuff including a woven patch. Nothing beats saints row. They added a map, postcards, cloth bandana lol and even a keychain. They thought the game will sell lol. But anyway - way more bang for the buck.
-Fully playable off-line even if it's only 1.0
-Don't care if I get banned or hacked, don't care about PSN speeds.

Physical negatives:
-Can be damaged or stolen.
-Discs are loud
-Require shelf space
-only v1.0 which is a fun curiosity but also a drawback
-Does not get as much discounted as digital games on sales
-Clearly is a dying format. I doubt ps6 will support discs, so the whole collection might be for nothing
-Can be hard to find here. nothing locally, I need to order on-line. Big problem sometimes

Digital positives:
-Easy access
-Fast downloads (in theory since psn sucks ass)
-Good low discounts
-No room required
-2tb nvme is super cheap nowadays. You can store your games ready to play.

Digital negatives:
-More expensive at launch
-Discunted only when store owner says so. With physical, people control the market
-games can be modified, have content removed, music removed etc
-you own nothing
-servers can die, you can get banned or hacked. ps3 servers were supposed to be disabled. What happens to people wanting to play their libraries on their ps3s ?

So clearly I have some doubts.
When buying physical I am happy that I get to own something to display and paly no matter what happens in the future.
But I am also aware that it's a dying format that will go away.
edit: of course hundreds of games on steam but there are no options

Say what you think and what will be your next purchase!

edit: There is a website to check how off-line playable releases are. very useful
Another disadvantage of digital.... You had to Buy a bigger capacity hard drive or SSD.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Digital. I'm already used to it since I play mainly on PC, but apart from that I move a lot, like every 2 years so it's just more convenient. I try to buy smart tho, Steam will probably be with us by the time I get old so no issues there, also didn't buy Nintendo digital until Switch came out and games got linked to the account and not to the console.

Disco Dave

On Nintendo platforms I only buy physical. The only exception to this was when I only bought Resident Evil Origins. REMake was a digital code and Zero was on the cartridge. Nintendo need to earn my trust if they want me to buy digital on their platform.

On PlayStation I buy a mixture of physical and digital. A lot of my purchases are impulse buys from PSN sales.

Why as everything is the modern age got to be about VS?

I have time for both, though I'm mainly digital these days for no other reason than ease of use and having most of the games on the HardDrive with no need to swap discs

Kupfer

Value.

45q5drS.jpg

At some point I took the trouble to enter all the games, peripherals and consoles and so on that I own (and for which I have not merely paid for a licence of use) into the gameeye app in order to have an overview.
I doubt whether you can trust the values 100%, as they are only calculated from partly erroneous eBay purchases and sales, but they give you a rough overview of what you have.
I hope it never comes to that, but if the shit hits the fan, I'd have a few thousand Euros as a buffer from the sales of the games.
Even if the resale value is only a fraction of what you spent yourself, you still have a value if you went the physical way for some years.

As a bonus I like to take the nostalgia and the joy of looking at the collection with me every day.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I prefer physical for most games since they are 1. Cheaper and 2. Have some trade in value 3. can share with friends.
Digital is obviously more convenient, but the prices aren't always cheaper where I live. In fact, they are usually more expensive. Defeats some the purpose.
I'll take a game cartridge with a nice color manual almost any day, big fat Neo Geo cartridges please.

I only buy digital now. I haven't bought a physical game on Playstation/Xbox since 2013 at the start of last gen.

On Switch I do have some cartridges but for a while now I've been buying games digitally instead so for Nintendos next console I will be 100% digital. The cartridges I do have I will sell once I've played them and for the likes of Zelda/Mario I'll probably sell them too and rebuy them digitally if the next console supports Switch games.

For PC i am of course 100% digital. The last physical PC game I bought was in 2005.

Physical just feels so old fashioned to me now. About the only positive is that you can sell them but I can deal with no being able to do that with digital games. On Steam you can easily get refunds and I guess I'm more cautious of what games I buy on consoles. If I paid £70 for a game and enjoy it then I don't mind spending that money. I'm not going to look to get money back when I'm done with it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Another disadvantage of digital.... You had to Buy a bigger capacity hard drive or SSD.

What do you mean? All games have been fully installed to the drive since the PS4, digital and physical take up the same amount of storage.

I'm all for physical for various reasons, but this is not one of them.

Top Bottom