• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Piccolo (Jr.) is the best "alien" character in Dragon Ball franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Piccolo2.jpg

Say what you want, but I like how he's among the DB-era gang to managed to be at least scratching the villains. He's also a more proficient fighter than being brutes who throws ki like Goku and Vegita, since at least I remember him keeping cool close up melee movements even up to recently.

Anyway, he's just cool. Introduced as a spawn of Demon King Piccolo, he was "forced" to live on earth. In some segments we saw of him having some sort of "moral compass" or maybe it's just his warrior's pride. His fight with Goku was really all out, with both of them exhausting, and we see neat tricks like Kamehame Wave with the feet. Then with the Saiyan threat he came in, killed Goku with the latter's permission in order to kill Raditz, and took t upon himself to train Gohan. The two eventually formed a bond, acting like a surrogate father, and it came full circle with him protecting Gohan.

His outfit, particularly the turban and cape, really is stylish. Though I always wondered if the robe contained shoulder pads that we never see. And he is best dad.

It does make me wonder how Kami managed to stay "existing" when he trapped DK Piccolo back then in the rice cooker. Though I guess because DK Piccolo was trapped than killed, I guess that made Kami alive (though I guess that concept was added more in DBZ than in DB so there's that).

Also Makkankosappo is a fucking cool move that I wish was used more frequently. Beams with drill effects are the tits.

Permanently A

The outfit really is stylish and incredibly unique. I mean who thinks "ah yes, a turban is perfect for this alien character." Really wonder what inspired Toriyama there.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It's been almost 15 years since I watched this godawful show but I seem to recall piccolo always being a chump who got fucked up by every single villain he tried to fight.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I suppose his only real competition is, bizarrely, 18.

Why isn't Krillin taking care of the baby with her?!

It's been almost 15 years since I watched this godawful show but I seem to recall piccolo always being a chump who got fucked up by every single villain he tried to fight.

I don't think anyone but Goku and Gohan killed a villain. No, Vegeta's fusion doesn't count.

He killed a lot of upper tier right hand men though.

Kalentan

I don't think anyone but Goku and Gohan killed a villain. No, Vegeta's fusion doesn't count.

Future Trunks. Goku only ever killed Buu and that was technically with everyone's help. Future Trunks actually killed Frieza.

Tizoc

Yup this is true
Piccolo exists just to show off how powerhl a villain is

Maximo

Krillin is the smartest fucker in the show said no more to fighting insane shit, bagged 18 who is a bombshell had a kid and now the dude works as a cop, cept hes the most powerful living "human" on earth and destroys fools like paper on his job.

Of the main cast he is. Always had a soft spot for future trunks and future gohan but one isn't main and one is basically background details.

Aiii

So not worth it
With Super being fanservice, I'm still holding out hope that we'll get a decent power-up for Piccolo so it isn't all about them two Saiyan's all the time.

Unfortunately, so far, I've been proven wrong.

That and Gohan becoming great again.

FreeMufasa

Anyone else feel demon king piccolo is the most intimidating villain in the series? Just something about his presence gives a feeling of hopelessness. I guess frieza comes closest

Piichan

Banned
Anyone else feel demon king piccolo is the most intimidating villain in the series? Just something about his presence gives a feeling of hopelessness. I guess frieza comes closest
I feel the same. Up until that point, most villains had some kind of greedy agenda. However, King Piccolo was just pure evil, raising the stakes like never before up until that point.

Anyway, the Picollo we now today is my fav character hands down. He doesn't need to be a Saiyan to kick ass, and I really appreciate his character development from evil dude to world's best dad.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

Vegeta killed Andriod 19 and alot of friezas henchmen, plus would have killed cell second form. So he's definately not scrub tier

And yeah Piccolo is great as a character. Plus hellzone grenade is the best move in DBZ

Piccoro

Just dropping by this thread to say that he is indeed the best Alien in the series, and one of the best characters in Dragon Ball! ;)

I personally love the fact that he began to be a nice person, even before he fused back with Kami.

And because I don't want any spoilers for Super, I'll be leaving this thread! Bye!

Piccolo Daimao is a pretty great villain. As intimidating as a wrinkled old man as he is in a more youthful form.

He's also kind of hilarious? His reaction to seeing the Denshi Jar/rice cooker with a bunny sticker is priceless.

Piccolo Jr. has a great arc. After his defeat at the WMAT, you can sorta tell his threat of killing Goku/conquering the world has slipped a little. Caring for Gohan flips that switch all the way.

If there's one thing Z and the later iterations bum me out on, it's how much they diminish the importance of the non-Saiyan players. Dragon Ball establishes the Kamehameha as a running joke, since it took Roshi decades to master and becomes something of a rite of passage for other characters (Goku, Krillin, Yamcha and Tien, among others) to pull off with ease, once powerful enough.

Z at least tries to keep Tien relevant, I guess.

Back on topic - yeah, Piccolo is the best, though there's something almost likable about how arrogant and shitty Frieza is. Too bad he gets stomped almost immediately in Resurrection F.

what? that makes no sense, he's still 100% Saiyan

... I'm just saying the Saiyan race is incredibly similar to Human, as apposed to more "alien" races like Namekian.

Yes it's an alien race but it's a race that can easily blend in with humans... which is even taken into account throughout the show. Goku and Vegeta fit easily into Earthling society without any second thought. Hell nobody even knew Goku was an alien throughout Dragon Ball.

18 isn't an alien

Pretty sure that was in reference to him being the best parent in the show.

One thing that makes perfect sense now, watching the show subbed and paying more attention, is how almost all of Gohan's early moves are ma-something, or "demon wave/blast/etc."

Like, of course it makes sense, since Piccolo trained him, but it comes across more clearly when you hear Piccolo say the names of his moves the same way (instead of "special beam cannon" or "destructive wave").

Throw in that little "Ma" symbol on Gohan's training gi and...yeah, it's kinda adorable.

It also makes Gohan opting to use Piccolo's uniform instead of Goku's gi during the Cell Games that much cooler.

The outfit really is stylish and incredibly unique. I mean who thinks "ah yes, a turban is perfect for this alien character." Really wonder what inspired Toriyama there.

Well he wasn't an alien at first. I think the turban (which his father never had) may have been designed to fit with the Indian theme of the World Tournament.

UpoVacDl.png

AlucardGV

Banned
it's about time Piccolo gets a boost. c'mon toriyama, make red eye namekians canon or whatever you want. i'm tired of watching every episode with goku doing stuff and vegeta living in denial

Also Makkankosappo is a fucking cool move that I wish was used more frequently. Beams with drill effects are the tits.[/QUOTE]

hearing vegeta call it a trash move definitely made me super mad

... I'm just saying the Saiyan race is incredibly similar to Human, as apposed to more "alien" races like Namekian.

Yes it's an alien race but it's a race that can easily blend in with humans... which is even taken into account throughout the show. Goku and Vegeta fit easily into Earthling society without any second thought. Hell nobody even knew Goku was an alien throughout Dragon Ball.

No one knew the Piccolos and Kami were aliens either... They look like bigger versions of Pilaf who's just a normal "animal-type earthling".

Fun fact is Nameks have 4 fingers in the manga (but 5 in the anime because the animators were lazy).

No one knew the Piccolos and Kami were aliens either... They look like bigger versions of Pilaf who's just a normal "animal-type earthling".

Fun fact is Nameks have 4 fingers in the manga (but 5 in the anime because the animators were lazy).

Dammit I know but they look exactly how you imagine aliens to be okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom