• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pizza |OT| Food of the Gods

this thread always makes me hungry for pizza.

need to learn to make homemade pizza like you guys.

Simply reading the word "pizza" makes me hungry for pizza.

tumblr_lw07thxISE1r4rmtno1_500.jpg

maxxpower

I can't eat pizza anymore. The greasiness makes me break out with acne. My only other option is making it myself but I don't have a bake oven.

That particular pizza place make standard sized pizzas so large that they end up folded like that.

The family sized ones are even bigger.

Why not a larger box?
Why are the toppings so poorly spaced?
Why isn't it sliced?
Why is the cheese consistency not even?

That pizza hurts my soul...... ima go ly dow.

n0n44m

Why not a larger box? -Wont fit on the back of the delivery bike/scooter
Why are the toppings so poorly spaced? -Hey now it's like half-Margherita-half-what-you-ordered !
Why isn't it sliced? -Wat
Why is the cheese consistency not even? -Angled slightly when it was still hot?

you need some pizza man :)

fuckin hel non44m that second image i want to eat a pizza like that one day

your profile says you're from NYC ... wtf that place is supposed to be filled with great pizzerias

http://slice.seriouseats.com/tags/NYC

just remember Neapolitan is the type of pie you're looking for ... charred but soft crust with a lot of chew, and somewhat wet due to the fresh tomato sauce and cheese on a very thin base

Why not a larger box?
Why are the toppings so poorly spaced?
Why isn't it sliced?
Why is the cheese consistency not even?

They probably don't make larger boxes (the larger box is for family sized pizzas), toppings is probably due to it being a margharita with added mussels, wat, and cheese wise it looks fine.

It's a glorious pizza, you need to eat more pizza bro.

They probably don't make larger boxes (the larger box is for family sized pizzas), toppings is probably due to it being a margharita with added mussels, wat, and cheese wise it looks fine.

It's a glorious pizza, you need to eat more pizza bro.

Yes larger boxes are made, I used to work for a restaurant supply company.

And thats supposed to be a margarita pizza............. :0

I eat plenty of pizza #NYPIZZABIAS

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Interesting, should update the OP with worldwide pizza terminology perhaps.

You're right in that many European restaurants do refer to plain pizzas as margheritas. At least they did in the 90s. But even then they were thin, not like your's.

n0n44m

yeah most shops around here that deliver pizza are kebab/grillrooms; their most simple and cheapest pizza on top of the list is always called "Margherita" and what you'll get is exactly what Squiddy posted

I know some guys who work at these shops and their dough is pretty ... interesting :D it contains milk and eggs for example lol

The electrical ovens they use are very deep, with bricks on the bottom and they usually reach 300c max, so nothing like a "real" woodfired oven. And because the rim doesn't puff up so much, the sauce and ingredients are usually put on all the way to the edge of the dough.

but hey it still tastes great as long as it's properly made with decent ingredients ! But if you want a Margherita that the Italians would approve, you'd have to go to one of the few pizza restaurants ran by real Italians, but those don't do delivery usually ;)

which is why I started making them myself :)

Pilgor

I've been making Neapolitan pizzas recently. Dough is water, flour, yeast and salt. Let rise for 12 hours, then a 5 day cold ferment in the fridge. Bake on cast iron skillet in broiler, then on stovetop.

Cheese is buffalo mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes and basil. I also tried with pepperoni and some sprinkled Roquefort.

Results are fantastic, very close to wood oven.

IMG_1043_zps86de5fcc.jpg

IMG_1046_zps003754ac.jpg

VanWinkle

I've been making Neapolitan pizzas recently. Dough is water, flour, yeast and salt. Let rise for 12 hours, then a 5 day cold ferment in the fridge. Bake on cast iron skillet in broiler, then on stovetop.

Cheese is buffalo mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes and basil. I also tried with pepperoni and some sprinkled Roquefort.

IMG_1043_zps86de5fcc.jpg

IMG_1046_zps003754ac.jpg

GREAT job. Looks pretty perfect to me!

n0n44m

Oh fuck yeah. Scallops on pizza. Corn on pizza. Those look beyond delicious.

I have $9.20 in my bank account. Not getting paychecks until later this month. I will spend it on pizza.

they were really good ! especially the béchamel - ham - pea one had very nice contrast between tastes :)

those look pretty damn awesome !

I made one with some leftover stuff from yesterday, I tried to get a bit more char ... almost was a bit too successful at that :p tasted great like always

Metalmarc

Pizza gaf, any tips on alternatives pizza sauce?

Can i use pasta sauce? Anyone tried this?

My local shop doesn't sell pizza sauce for some dumb reason, but tons of pasta sauce
I was thinking of buying the tomato and herb pasta sauce, but i'd need to thicken it right?

Whats the best way to do this? Iv'e googled it and there were so many variations usually goes Add this, add that, boil away this, then add that , don't add this

I Got lost, i just need something quick and simple

Seanspeed

Banned

My local shop doesn't sell pizza sauce for some dumb reason, but tons of pasta sauce
I was thinking of buying the tomato and herb pasta sauce, but i'd need to thicken it right?

Whats the best way to do this? Iv'e googled it and there were so many variations usually goes Add this, add that, boil away this, then add that , don't add this

Could probably just mix in some tomato paste.

Buy crushed/diced tomatoes, add spices (garlic/oregano/thyme/etc.) and salt to taste.

MrBig

Alternatively you could create a bechamel base sauce and then make up any kind of sauce you can imagine. What I've can remember trying so far are finely chopped and blended onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and rosemary and they all turn out great. I usually use cream fraiche as the cream.

Going down this route has been fantastic for me rather than always using the standard tomato sauce.

If you want tomato sauce make up your own with fresh tomatoes or buy the plain canned tomato paste and season to taste. I'm sure "pizza sauce" has all sorts of weird stuff in it.

I just use tomato puree, thinned out a bit with water, and flavoured with whatever herbs you find suitable on a pizza (basil, thyme, oregano?) along with a tiny bit of coke (totally optional).

Top Bottom