• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Man

This is going to be taken the wrong way, but seriously: Why? Why are people buying PS4's? It's a serious question. There's not that many games on it, and there don't appear to be many coming in the near future. So what's the draw? Is it the relative price? Is it just wanting to own the future?

I'm purely curious, I've got no stock in fanboy hogwash.
Better hardware at a cheaper price.
Bigger gaming library than main competitor and constantly best version of games.
It's not rocket science.

You also have other attributes like better OS, sleeker smaller form factor etc.

I heard through the grapevine, and my gaming connections, that Microsoft views Xbox One as a flop internally. They aren't panicking, but what happened was not what they expected.

Lunar15

I guess I'm just never interested in launch titles. I usually wait a year or so to get a new console, but it's primarily based on there being three or four games I'm interested in. I agree that tastes are subjective, but I'm still just not seeing much in the lineup at all.

I'm sure that down the road I'll end up getting a PS4. I loved my PS3 and I enjoy my Vita. But the library seems dry aside from inFamous. It seems dry everywhere, to be honest.

Not trying to be a buzzkill or rain on anyone's awesome PS4 party. It's a slick system. I just get really curious about why things happen in the industry. Like reverse engineering.

legacyzero

Banned
This is going to be taken the wrong way, but seriously: Why? Why are people buying PS4's? It's a serious question. There's not that many games on it, and there don't appear to be many coming in the near future. So what's the draw? Is it the relative price? Is it just wanting to own the future?

Future. Its already proven how amazing it is. Infamous: Second Son shows that. Now just sit back and watch the #Greatness roll in.

Trago

Well tbh most people just count two of them lol. But I get what you are saying.

Yeah, I've noticed that, but people often forget that all of the platform holders are competing for our dollars. Sony and Microsoft are doing things more directly with each other. Meanwhile Nintendo will surprise all of us with the token exclusive collaboration here and there, or release a game the same day that they announce it.

They're all trying to make their platform the most desirable one, and Sony has been making the best moves so far.

To take my chess analogy a bit further, Sony has yet to lose any pieces, Microsoft have lost a few pawns, and Nintendo are making due with what they have left.

Effnine

I heard through the grapevine, and my gaming connections, that Microsoft views Xbox One as a flop internally. They aren't panicking, but what happened was not what they expected.

Less powerful console with a higher price point ... gee, would have never expected that ...

Dead

well not really...yet

at the risk of sounding like an echo chamber...

large variety of games, including all the most popular commercial IPs
Consistently features the best versions of multiplatform games
Faster, and easier to use UI, no BS
focus on sharing and social
Cheaper and more powerful

ethomaz

Banned
I guess I'm just never interested in launch titles. I usually wait a year or so to get a new console, but it's primarily based on there being three or four games I'm interested in. I agree that tastes are subjective, but I'm still just not seeing much in the lineup at all.

I'm sure that down the road I'll end up getting a PS4. I loved my PS3 and I enjoy my Vita. But the library seems dry aside from inFamous. It seems dry everywhere, to be honest.
If I wait one year then I won't have time to play most of games I want to play... that happened with PS3 and I missed dozen of amazing games.

Silky

Banned
aKfpNsy.gif

Shocking news!!!!

But not really. Congrats to them Sony boys.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I heard through the tomato vine that Microsoft burned One hundred One's in the light of the blood moon as a tribute to Mars, the god of
console
War.

Edit: source so I don't get banned

Lemondish

Where does this "PS4 has no games" sentiment coming from. There's over 50 titles already released with many more yet to come.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Again and again, Sony has handled the PS4 to near perfection. The best platform deserves to sell the best and that's the Playstation 4.

Dragon

Banned
Where does this "PS4 has no games" sentiment coming from. There's over 50 titles already released with many more yet to come.

I think it's mostly more of a question of: "why is it so popular?". It doesn't have a lot of exclusive titles yet and so people struggle with why it's selling so well.

Funny thing is it is actually a continuation of a meme but then people starting taking it seriously and here we are lol.

PS3 had a long running " no games " meme going, then Vita, so people just threw it over to the PS4 for shits and giggles.

After 6 months of owning the PS3 I had I believe 2 games to play on my system. After 6 months owning the PS4, around there anyway, 5 months now I have 19 games in my library.

All of which fight my mind every time I turn the system on for which one will be played. War Thunder currently winning a lot of those battles. Such a fun game. GET TO AMERICA SOON DAMNIT!

I think it's mostly more of a question of: "why is it so popular?". It doesn't have a lot of exclusive titles yet and so people struggle with why it's selling so well.

Neither system has great games so it's a hardware competition,

Bad news MSFT you lost that race

Slashlen

I think a lot of people's expectations are just out of line with what happens at launch. If we were to compare it against non-launch years, yeah it looks pretty bad. But for launch it hasn't been that bad. Not a lot of huge great games, but that rarely happens, and the indies and F2P stuff at least keeps those who traded in their old systems busy.

vpance

Multiplats titles drive most of the sales. Like, 90% of them.

Bishop89

Every major release is going to be released on the platform, full support, it already has a lot of the big franchises on it currently. It is the cheapest of the two consoles, it has those streaming services and recording/screenshot taking features ppl love, it will have better multiplats on it, and there are PLENTY of games on it already. A lot of them are multiplat, so? They look and play better on the ps4. Everything is pretty much improved over the ps3. People are probably sick of playing on their old consoles. I know I am, up rather b playing everything im currently playing on my ps3, on my ps4

To be fair, indie games just don't count because anything under $19.99 is garbage shovelware.

... or so I've been led to believe.

So far this gen the games that have been played the most by me, hours wise anyway, are free ones lmao.

Warframe, probably played 100+ hours.

War Thunder, currently at 60+ hours

Don't Starve, probably 40-50 hours.

I only get 1-2 hours a day, maybe, to play games though. My backlog is growing large.

Next highest would likely be Killzone MP, Res0gun and Infamous.

Naudi

Banned

I don't understand it either...Multiplats not only count but are a huge driving force to any system being a success. I also have a nice gaming pc but have found myself playing PS4 almost exclusively since launch just for pure convenience and because its the "new thing" and it just so happens to be cheaper and more powerful then its direct competitor.

CLEEK

This is going to be taken the wrong way, but seriously: Why? Why are people buying PS4's? It's a serious question. There's not that many games on it, and there don't appear to be many coming in the near future. So what's the draw? Is it the relative price? Is it just wanting to own the future? .

There is a weird mental block where people only view platform exclusive retail games as 'games'.

The fact is, the PS4 is currently home to the majority of major franchises. The game that sold the PS4 to me was Resogun. But I know I'm in a minuscule minority. Millions of people are buying the console for EA, Activision and Ubisoft franchise games, along with the major first party offerings. The best selling PS4 launch game was COD: Ghosts.

For all the multi-platform games, the PS4 version is the definitive console version for every single one. Which will still be true in the future. Every major 3rd party game will see the best version on the PS4. If you want to play BF, COD or Assassins Creed on consoles (and tens of millions of people do, every year), PS4 will be the place to play it.

Funny thing is it is actually a continuation of a meme but then people starting taking it seriously and here we are lol.

PS3 had a long running " no games " meme going, then Vita, so people just threw it over to the PS4 for shits and giggles.

After 6 months of owning the PS3 I had I believe 2 games to play on my system. After 6 months owning the PS4, around there anyway, 5 months now I have 19 games in my library.

All of which fight my mind every time I turn the system on for which one will be played. War Thunder currently winning a lot of those battles. Such a fun game. GET TO AMERICA SOON DAMNIT!

Mainly because unlike last gen launch, you're buying your multiplats on PS4 and there were great DD games at launch.

I'm in the same boat. 3x as many PS4 games as Xbox One. Took me a few years to get that many on PS3.

Top Bottom