• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

TomShoe

Banned
I'm shocked at the high number considering the lackluster amount of worthy games released for the system so far.
Now that I beat Infamous SS my PS4 is back to being my BF4 machine until the next must have game arrives (Destiny?)

If I had a nickel...

I'm shocked at the high number considering the lackluster amount of worthy games released for the system so far.
Now that I beat Infamous SS my PS4 is back to being my BF4 machine until the next must have game arrives (Destiny?)

i am more shocked at your ignorance.

yes, you don't care about other games. that doesn't mean the system has none.

frankly, i won't miss reading posts like this.

modsbox

So let's say XB1 and TF make it so MSFT wins March in the US, possibly Europe as well. Good for them.

But how do they not get murked in April, May, June exactly?

One of the problems with them putting all their eggs into the TF basket and then bundling it with the console is that literally everyone who wanted TF would have been stupid to not buy it in March. Now that that's happened, April will be very interesting. I don't see how they win any more months without a drop. Do people really think that a big March will give them sustained momentum?

They better. Big exclusive with huge marketing. Sales at most, if not all, major retailers. If they lose March I think everyone will be shocked.

Have we heard any sales numbers from Titanfall yet? I know Infamous was pegged by Sony at a million units for March, but Titanfall was on the market for ten more days than Infamous. Microsoft has been pretty quite since January.

I'm waiting for more of my friends to buy the PS4 before I get into BF4 and online games. I've fnished black flag, finished Lego marvel, platimum'd Infamous, now I'm dicking around with all the download only games. Fez, Towerfall, Strike Suit Zero, Soundshapes, Don't Starve, Mercenary Kings etc. It's a great way to keep myself occupied until the next big release.

I might dive in on FFXIV, but I wish there was a demo or a trial. Paying for the original collectors edition burned me pretty bad and I'm still skeptical on how well an MMO controls on a console.

He has a point, there's not a lot of exclusive software for the system people are just dying to play.

Yes, but that's 100% normal at this point, AND there are plenty of non-exclusives that are A, better on PS4 than Xbox One and B, much better than the last-gen counterparts. Most people don't have PCs. So they bought PS4s.

He has a point, there's not a lot of exclusive software for the system people are just dying to play.

no, because people don't walk into a store going, "oh <insert multiplat title here> is coming to ps4. too bad it's also coming to xbone, or else it would've sold me on the system."

even if ps4 won't have an exclusive come fall, it'll sell units when nba 2k, cod, bf, etc. drop.

okay, let's just forget the people who bought a ps4 to play ac4 and not because of infamous. seriously, this sort of "no exclusives! no gamez!" irks me the most. people who buy multiplats are going to buy it on one system, and that one system will be the system of their multiplats for the next decade. that multiplat might as well be exclusive.

You and him, him and you, take a look at the top 10s and break free from the "only exclusives matter" mindset.

UQyl0B0.jpg

People are buying PS4s (and Xbox Ones) to play those games, and the games to come.

Usobuko

Banned
Isn't Fifa a console exclusive, as in only available in console? That is enough to sell PS4 across Europe. Same goes for Madden in US.

We still don't know that yet. But I'm 100% guaranteed to have something to laugh at tomorrow, either way.

I'm personally hoping for Sony to win March.

Not because I want Sony to win, but to witness the chaos and panic if MS somehow doesn't win March.

If that happens, I'm sneaking into a Bish's bunker. I'll empty a box and hide in it, eavesdropping on his Ham radio to get the play by play of the thread.

Although I dare not think of the punishment if I was found.

N.Domixis

Banned
Yes, but that's 100% normal at this point, AND there are plenty of non-exclusives that are A, better on PS4 than Xbox One and B, much better than the last-gen counterparts. Most people don't have PCs. So they bought PS4s.

What if I told you the ps4 is the poor man's pc.

olimpia84

i am more shocked at your ignorance.

yes, you don't care about other games. that doesn't mean the system has none.

frankly, i won't miss reading posts like this.

I care about other games, it's just I don't see how most of them warrant a $399 expense. I'll definitely get around to playing Killzone and Knack when they hit PS+. For me BF4 did the trick since I put thousands of hours playing the PS3 BF games so that's that. Infamous seems to be only must have title for the system so far and that wasn't even a launch game.

Yup, it's a really antiquated concept. As Microsoft proved last generation, multiplatform games can definitely be system sellers.
Microsoft proved what?

They sold their Xbox 360 on the back of Halo and Gears of War, both of which were exclusives. The only reason the multiplats sold well for them was because of the early bad ports for PS3, which resulted in people buying them on the Xbox 360 instead.

Handy Fake

I care about other games, it's just I don't see how most of them warrant a $399 expense. I'll definitely get around to playing Killzone and Knack when they hit PS+. For me BF4 did the trick since I put thousands of hours playing the PS3 BF games so that's that. Infamous seems to be only must have title for the system so far and that wasn't even a launch game.

funny-gif-Stewie-Family-Guy.gif

Microsoft proved what?

They sold their Xbox 360 on the back of Halo and Gears of War, both of which were exclusives. The only reason the multiplats sold well for them was because of the early bad ports for PS3, which resulted in people buying them on the Xbox 360 instead.

Take the highest selling Halo title and the highest selling Gears title, assume no overlap, and you don't touch even a fourth of the Xbox 360 audience. Something else sold those systems.

Not because I want Sony to win, but to witness the chaos and panic if MS somehow doesn't win March.

If that happens, I'm sneaking into a Bish's bunker. I'll empty a box and hide in it, eavesdropping on his Ham radio to get the play by play of the thread.

Same boat... we ride on.

So let's say XB1 and TF make it so MSFT wins March in the US, possibly Europe as well. Good for them.

But how do they not get murked in April, May, June exactly?

One of the problems with them putting all their eggs into the TF basket and then bundling it with the console is that literally everyone who wanted TF would have been stupid to not buy it in March. Now that that's happened, April will be very interesting. I don't see how they win any more months without a drop. Do people really think that a big March will give them sustained momentum?

I'm actually curious to see how word of
Mouth and legs will fare for Titanfall. Early on I think everyone assumed it would be a monster but I have to admit, anecdotally I haven't heard a ton of noise from a lot of my CoD/xbox multiplayer friends about it aside from a few that actually picked up the 360 version last week.

Although I dare not think of the punishment if I was found.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Maybe not, but the non-exclusives run better.

That's true but I didn't say anything about non-exclusives running poorly on PS4 so I'm not sure why you brought that up

Never said it wasn't normal or didn't apply to the XBO. Again, not sure why people are bringing up that non-exclusives play better on PS4. I never said they didn't, all I noted was that another poster was right in believing there aren't any system sellers out yet.

no, because people don't walk into a store going, "oh <insert multiplat title here> is coming to ps4. too bad it's also coming to xbone, or else it would've sold me on the system."

even if ps4 won't have an exclusive come fall, it'll sell units when nba 2k, cod, bf, etc. drop.

okay, let's just forget the people who bought a ps4 to play ac4 and not because of infamous. seriously, this sort of "no exclusives! no gamez!" irks me the most. people who buy multiplats are going to buy it on one system, and that one system will be the system of their multiplats for the next decade. that multiplat might as well be exclusive.

Uh, you do realize that the #1 reason why people buy a console is the games, right? If most multiplats come to both systems, what distinguishes them? Oh yeah, the exclusives. You can say "b-but 3rd party games run better on PS4!" but that has nothing to do with my point. All I'm saying is that there aren't enough exclusive titles to make people rush out and buy a box. PS4 doesn't have a Halo, GTA 3, or Mario 64.

It's weird how you twist me saying PS4 has no system selling exclusives this early in the life cycle into "PS4 haz no gamez." Control yourself.

Why does a game need to be exclusive for it to be worth playing?

Where does anyone say a game needs to be exclusive to be worth playing? Exclusives make your product more appealing to consumers, that's a fact.

Calling only exclusive games worthwhile isn't a good point..

I never said that?

Wow, make one comment about how the PS4 doesn't have any system seller at this point in the life cycle and you'll have PS4 fans breathing down your neck..

On that note, we’ll have some great new details to share with you regarding our upcoming PS4 system software update very soon. Stay tuned!
pleasebeexcited.gif

I really wish Sony would show us instead of talking like SE, bloody annoying. That said, well done to them. The hardware numbers are really great!

Take the highest selling Halo title and the highest selling Gears title, assume no overlap, and you don't touch even a fourth of the Xbox 360 audience. Something else sold those systems.
Like i said, the early PS3 multiplat ports were horrible. Most of the multiplat games sold way better on the Xbox 360 earlier in the life cycle, particularly due to this difference. People brought X360 because it got superior ports, had better live service(Xbox Live) and more.

Don't forget it was Microsoft who started the whole exclusive/timed DLC. GTA IV DLC was released on the 360 first and then got a PS3 release later. Similarly, they got the timed/exclusive DLCs for COD/BF for their console, and this also helped them greatly.

I never said that?

Wow, make one comment about how the PS4 doesn't have any system seller at this point in the life cycle and you'll have PS4 fans breathing down your neck..

Didn't say you did, but that was what the other poster was implying with lack of worthwhile games. And responding to you in a post is not "breathing down your neck". Maybe you shouldn't take a quote so personally.

Cornbread78

Have we heard any sales numbers from Titanfall yet? I know Infamous was pegged by Sony at a million units for March, but Titanfall was on the market for ten more days than Infamous. Microsoft has been pretty quite since January.

I'm sure MS is preparing their very humble PR statement right now, but yeah, there is little doubt they "won" March and Titanfall beasted, so I'm sure it will all be together in tgat PR

qream

Well aren't you special.
So all these games I and everyone else have been playing so far are lackluster?

orochi91

Because it is an asinine comment to make. The games available don't appeal to you,
great, move on. Or do you believe that repeating that tired tripe will add legitimacy to
your statement?

nasanu

Banned
You and him, him and you, take a look at the top 10s and break free from the "only exclusives matter" mindset.

UQyl0B0.jpg

People are buying PS4s (and Xbox Ones) to play those games, and the games to come.

And when all consoles play those games what do you think the deciding factor is? Box art?

Top Bottom