• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 sells 360.000 units in Spain (7:1 Ps4:XBO)

Daviii

I still have to meet someone with a XBOX console from previous generations, here.
Those numbers are quite big, gaming has never been a big deal on Spain neither when economy was in a bubble train.

360 sold quite well.

Until all of them started to die. I know several people switching back to PS3 for that reason.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That might be for the best for MS to do so seriously. That is if they decide to give it another go. If GAF is anything to go by, they may have worn out their welcome in the eyes of the core gamer.

And that is were you make your first mistake. I'll not bother talking to your other bullshit.

THATS IT!?!?!?!

I would've expected closer to 1 million.

360,000 seems really low for close to 1 year since launch.

Spain is not a small nation.

Daviii

19EfvqS.gif

This is easily the best thing ever made by man

THATS IT!?!?!?!

I would've expected closer to 1 million.

360,000 seems really low for close to 1 year since launch.

Spain is not a small nation.

Having a large part of the demographic that normaly buys consoles unemployed and the country as a whole in a recesion does that to sales.

i-Lo

Good for Sony. Now if only they'd stop squandering the goodwill.

Regardless, EU (aside from UK) has always favoured PS. Given better price to performance ratio, it'll continue to do so.

Proxy

Really. I dont see why people are so obsessed with these numbers when the majority know how it is going to turn out.

Honestly it doesn't seem like anyone is obsessed with these numbers. So I'm not really sure where this narrative is coming from.

No surprise here. Sony and Playstation are a very popular brand in Europe and with reason, they do a good job of bringing their products with an international touch compared to MS who have a more US centric approach that doesn't work really well outside the US and maybe UK.

B.O.O.M

Based Espqñq.

lol but no seriously is this word spelled correctly here? If so could some kind gaffer who understands Spanish pls tell me how to pronounce this? It fascinates me

OT: Holy shit! or Caca Santa! (I think that's what it means in spanish at least)

leobebes

Banned
That might be for the best for MS to do so seriously. That is if they decide to give it another go. If GAF is anything to go by, they may have worn out their welcome in the eyes of the core gamer.

I love how your dramatic statement punctuates your inherent bias. MS has more cash on hand than the U.S. government, at the very least they'd try a different direction before pulling the plug on "Xbox".

bombshell

lol but no seriously is this word spelled correctly here? If so could some kind gaffer who understands Spanish pls tell me how to pronounce this? It fascinates me

OT: Holy shit! or Caca Santa! (I think that's what it means in spanish at least)

q and a are close on the keyboard ;)

Valkyria

Banned

It is just a victim of the spanish education system.

sinseers

Truth be told I wanna get my hands on an X1 for Sunset Overdrive amongst other title that interest me, but I must face the reality that if I do get an X1, I am mostly likely investing in a console who's 1st and 3rd party support could "POTENTIALLY" shrink as the generation moves forward.

Daviii

Not even in the PS2/XBOX era? Hard to believe.

My fellow spaniards really love "la Plei".

PS2 was simply a landslide. Biggest gaming success ever. No Xbox was sold. GameCube came for free in cereal boxes.

Xbox 360 was a hit. Wii was a hit. PS3 suffered a lot with that brutal 600€ tag (I can't believe I paid that...) but recovered after the pricedrops.

Rising_Hei

And most of the new jobs that are made can't even let you live properly, so there's lots of poor people outside of that 25 %, sadly.
Good sales despite our situation

Famassu

In a year?

I know the populations can be drastically different, but it always amazes me how consoles can sale in ONE month in the US what they sale in an entire year in other countries.
US is a single country, but it's basically the size of all of Europe. I don't see what's so surprising with that. You shouldn't compare a single European country to all of US, it would be much more accurate to compare the sales to a single ~Spain-size state (if you have any).

Tenki

They expect to sell another 300k by Jan 6th (Día de Reyes, the traditional day to give presents to the kids).

sinseers

I love how your dramatic statement punctuates your inherent bias. MS has more cash on hand than the U.S. government, at the very least they'd try a different direction before pulling the plug on "Xbox".

I was'nt speaking about myself in that last statement. I wrote that as an observation of the 1000s of comments made about X1 and MS here on GAF since the inital unveiling.

mario_O

Spain is the fourth biggest macroaeconomic economy into eurozone but people (families) are into Romania or Bulgaria purchasing power levels (the lower).
Things are not great in Spain right now, but nowhere near Romania, Bulgaria.. you have no idea what you're talking about. Spain is closer to Italy.

Daviii

"España" (Spain in Spanish) with wooden fingers in a qwerty keyboard is "Espqñq"

Don't try to translate holy shit into Spanish, it simply doesn't work

DAMN! Thats it? Not a big console market there I take it?

spain is only 43 million people. 2.5 million is pretty damn good.
it's even better when you think that they got hit hard by the economy during its lifetime.
don't think the attachment rate in the USA is bigger.

kiguel182

In a year?

I know the populations can be drastically different, but it always amazes me how consoles can sale in ONE month in the US what they sale in an entire year in other countries.

Really?

The amount of people in Spain vs the US is not even comparable smh

Microsoft should pump more marketing money into Spain. How about sponsoring the Ebola-stricken nurse's treatment? She's gotta do something to kill time while in quarantine.

Edit: Before panic sets in. You cannot catch Ebola through Xbox Live.
They spent €20M marketing the launch in Spain, and sold 36k by the end of the year. That's €555 in advertising per unit sold.

It's considerably cheaper for them to simply give XBones away than try to advertise them.

djkeem

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how much money sony rakes in from plus subscriptions. Must be alot.
I wonder if they ever feel guilty about it haha.

Einbroch

Banned
60% PS3
35% Wii
15% 360

So it's really not that big of a deal, then.

The Xbox was already unpopular, and with the way this generation started out with the MS blunders, it's not surprising to see this split.

Still, that sucks for MS. 20mil on marketing just to stay at equilibrium.

Edit: Wait, those numbers are wrong? /shrug

Bruno MB

Bruno MB, the time for an updated post with all the timeline of PS4 sales in Spain has come!

November 29, 2013 - Launch
December 9, 2013 - 80,000 LTD
December 23, 2013 - 134,000 LTD
January 31, 2014 - 181,000 LTD
June 12, 2014 - 275,000 LTD
October 14, 2014 - 360,000 LTD

Forecast (first 12 months) - 500,000 units

Launch-aligned, PS4 would be slightly behind PS3 which sold 350,000 units in its first 9 month of sales (March 23, 2007 - end of November, 2007)

Xbox One (first 10 months) - around 51,500 units
Xbox 360 (first 9 months) - 70,000 units
Xbox lifetime sales - 275,000 units

PlayStation 2 to Xbox ratio - 18:1
PlayStation 3 to Xbox 360 ratio as of January, 2014 - 2.5:1
PlayStation 4 to Xbox One ratio as of October, 2014 - 7:1

Top Bottom